Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling yourself British.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

The caveat I would enter there is that I care very much for the land of Ireland and all the natural life here. We have terribly neglected and abused our flora, fungi and fauna. Our descendants will not look back fondly on our record.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I experienced a different struggle with authenticity and identity. My family moved back to Ireland from England when I was in my teens and I could never shake the accusation from some quarters - you know the type - that I wasn’t really Irish despite having previously lived here from the ages of one to five. It was like trying to become a member of one of those posh London clubs - the black balls kept coming back every time I put my name forward. After years in Canada I came home and one of my classmates from university asked, “why didn’t you go back to your own country”, i.e. England. The same guy ended up spending a considerable time in England himself. I think it is one reason why I identified so much with the ‘Plastic Paddies’ on Irish soccer teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,208 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I had the same. I was born in the UK to Irish parents and moved to Ireland when I was 4. There's people that think they own Irishness and get to decide who is and isn't Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭rock22

What part of my post was untruthful , or indeed inaccurate. And what part of it is not common knowledge by those who actuall study the matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Unflushable Turd

Pretty much all of it.

for starters, the Polish did break an enigma code, an early version and vastly different from the naval one that was finally cracked in 1940

Polish intelligence called a three way meeting with the ritual and French and gave them a machine each. There was no rebuff, that is an absolute fabrication.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think you are slightly misrepresenting what went on, to dismiss the UK's part of it. Intentionally or not.

Polish contribution is mentioned in any book I've every read on it. Indeed we can link to UK online stories of the same. TBH they kept their work to themselves as Poland fell then, France. Also there was stuff that happened before Poland got in in on it. They got material from France originally. There was a also german spy and the commercial enigma machine.

Breaking German signals from all the world was a vast operation. Radio listening, stations, recording the signals, then it being processed and used. There was also another operation breaking the Japaneses code. The polish opened the door a crack. But the machines, changes, the codes changed. There was a vast operation dong this. One of the most expensive of the war. It wasn't just 3 people in Poland, just as it wasn't just alan Turnin on his own. Then there was the work of keeping this going as the Germans changed their codes continuously.

The British often tell their part of it. Because the story of Bletchley and the machines they built is a story in its own right.

You also have to remember that the work at Bletchley park wasn’t declassified until the mid seventies and the house itself was going to be demolished until the local council bought it in the nineties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Ulster Unionists are of Scottish ( hardcore Presbyterian) stock , it’s no surprise the English struggle to figure them out but there is still a minority of Scots who are identical to them , we just forget they exist

This is nonsense , the British have an extremely strong sense of themselves, their identity and history , the British always saw themselves as a bit different to the rest of Europe , if you believe that the British lack an identity?, you really don’t understand the people at all, I suspect you have an RTE mindset whereby due to Brexit , you simply can’t fathom what makes them tick ?

extremely patriotic nation , more so than we are , Irish people have a laid back patriotism for the most part

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,193 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I don't agree. I've lived in England for the last decade and I think they have a very confused and patchy understanding of their history and culture.

I think there are 2 kinds of patriotism as set out in the James Conolly quote I posted earlier. There's love of the flag and an ethereal sense of britishness, which is strong as evidenced by the brexit vote. And there's love of the people and the cultures of Britain, which is very weak, in my opinion. They generally look have very little connection to their history, and there's fairly open hostility towards the other nations in the UK. The English would never dream of learning a few words of Welsh to help fit in with the locals. I'm summarising what i said in a post from earlier in the thread.

I think the love of flag patriotism is much stronger than the patriotism to pay a few bob in tax to feed the poorest British children.

In fact, I'd be willing to wager the flag patriotism is negatively correlated with voting for parties that want to help the poorest British people.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

We all are arguably British as we are from the British isles and have a very longer history here but the term has been tainted the past few centuries because of politics. When you think of the term British you think of a union flag, not Celtic culture.

That’s no barometer of patriotism, it’s just an arbitrary left wing political statement , Americans are extremely patriotic and poverty is far more pronounced than in the UK

Yeah, good analogy. I'd argue the Americans are big on the flag patriotism and small on loving their fellow compatriot. They also have a very patchy view of their own history and culture. Very good comparison.

you have a wholly arbitrary definition of patriotism

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Oh jaysus... no... You have that wrong... The British Isles is a term made up by them to claim ownership... theres little historical evidence to suggest it's ever been used in any context... The Romans sometimes refered to the Islands as Scottia... Ireland being Scottia Major & Scotland was Scottia Minor... The more appropriate term used these days is the Irish & British Archapeligo...

The migratory paths to both islands are quite different even though slightly intertwined... Ireland was largely inhabited by the Celts via the Iberian Peninsula, their origins being Middle Eastern then the migration path moved east from Ireland onwards to Wales, parts of England and Scotland... where as England was occupied mainly by Germanic tribes (anglos, saxons etc.) from Central Europe, pushing back some of the Celtic inhabitants... theres plenty more migration involved from various places, but this seems to be the main bulk of it...

BTW, DONT FECKIN' CALL ME BRITISH!!!

Not sure what loving has to do with it.

They are obsessed with their history, founding fathers, War of independence, civil war, cowboys etc..

Theres a wealth of local cultural events and history in the UK. It's ingrained in their society and small towns and villages.

I think there's a lot more to it than trade.

They found generic linkage to Iberia not just in irish DNA but also animals and fauna. You'd have to say they don't look like Vikings or Norman's in certain parts of the country.

• Advertisement

Maybe. I've laid out 2 forms of patriotism and ive indicated which one i think is more useful. Do you you have a definitive idea of patriotism? What is it?

Are they really i formed on it? There's (culture) war whenever they want to teach the story or the founding fathers who owned slaves. I'd say it's just history but they prefer the sanitised Disney version of their history. History is always far more interesting than all good or all bad. But I don't claim to have much forst hand experience of the US.

Whay has loving got to do with patriotism? I'd say it's the very basis of patriotism. Love for the country and its people. How would you define patriotism without love?

True about the small towns. The local galas and things like that are really good. My local Miners Gala is class. Like I said in the post you quoted, it's patchy. I didn't say its non existent.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

That they HAVE a "disney" version implies "history" is popular with a mass audience.

Its inexplicable why anyone think US doesn't love its fellow patriots. Considering the efforts it goes to protect its people, and recover them.

Domestic issues of poverty are an entirely different issue.

Its ubiquitous. Union Jack is everywhere in england. History and festivals celebrating the same are everywhere. I think people who live there become immune to it.

you are looking at this from an Irish view point.

As far as the Irish are concerned, the Irish are white, they are Catholic and they are all Gaelic/Celtic. There is a specific form of Irish music, Irish dancing and Irish sports. Anything else is either foreign or worse, English.

Ireland is a land of saints and scholars where the people were all minding their own business until the English turned up, offered them soup to convert to Protestantism and murdered the rest by poisoning their potatoes. Nothing bad that happened in Ireland, ever, was done by an Irish person and nothing good ever, was done by a British person. If an Anglo Irish person is a bit of a hero, then they are obviously Irish, but if they were part of the British establishment, then their Irishness needs to be downplayed by statements such as "Being born in a stable...."

Irish people don't know their history anymore than the British do, what the Irish know is the narrative that was created to make the Irish identity different from the rest of the UK back in the mid nineteenth century. Any deviation from this is revision ist and anyone who mutters it is a West Brit.

What you are seeing is the difference between a country where race/ethnicity and nationality are all the same thing, to one that is one of the most multi cultural and racially diverse in the world.

Nah, most of what you describe there is cultural... Ireland has evolved and improved with immigrants over centuries. Welsh, Normans, Vikings, Spanish... While heavily retaining an element of celtic culture we have evolved racially and socially... But our strand is different to that in Britain... Also we are once again diverging, with mass immigration, variety and new cultural additions... It's unfair to lable Ireland as white, we've always had a rich history of imigration, it just wasn't accessible or desirable as a desination for various other cultures in the past.

You seem ignorant of just who many people are from mixed Irish/English families. They will have experienced both cultures and histories.

Irish narrative wasn't invented. It's well documented in English history. English love of rules, laws and bureaucracy means it's recorded and documentary with tedious and comprehensive detail.

It's quite weird to imply its invented.

It not like Irish economic situation (desirability) wasn't influenced by the UK https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Irish_trade_war

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Normans and Vikings were not immigrants, they were violent invaders.

In 928 AD, the Vikings massacred 1,000 people at Dunmore. Mainly women and children.

In Dublin the Vikings created Europe's largest slave market.

Vikings raids were terrifying, like the medieval equivalent of the Luftwaffe bombing cities. People hid in caves and towers to avoid being killed or sold or slavery.

Advertisement