Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

I’m looking at the prospect of having to get out of cows if it goes down to 170.milking 80 on 85 owned and 40 rented.not much rented ground coming up close by either and if it does in past couple of yrs it’s crazy money.would have to cut down dramatically after 2026 to I reckon 50 to 60 cows and not much replacements of my own.

kinda sad that this is now what happening all at the alter of climate change/following the science mantra .I don’t want to quit but if it’s unviable to milk just 50 to standstill then what’s the point.glad now I didn’t in past yr go ahead with upgrading the milking parlour and putting in new machine with the bells and whistles.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Coolfresian

When the derogation goes and we are back at 170kg/N will the ridiculous banding go?? Does any other country operating at 170kg/N have a banding system?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

They do, majority aren't grazing based systems tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

Don't know why lads are shocked or up in arms now regarding the derogation cut. Shure we all knew it was coming. What I find annoying was the cynical move by the department and minister to push back the payment dates. It was done deliberatley knowing the nitrates cut was coming and then throw a sop to the farm orginisations of restoring the traditional dates after some "negotations".

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gman1987

EPA Red Map:

EPA Surveillance map (A) for reporting to EU vs operational (B) for internal reporting

Using the (b) Operational surveillance sites the EPA has produced a details breakdown of targeted measures required in different areas:

Fairly clear from the map that Nitrates is a problem for a number of counties but how the hell did we end up with what's looks like a country wide band. Should their not be targeted measures according to the issue in the area. Large portions of the country dont have any issue with nitrates or phosphorus.

Second - with increasing population and insufficient infrastructure in place to deal with sewage we are gaurentees to be heading to 170kg/ha as once again the farmer will be blamed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... sewage/effluent from 77,000 households in this country is flowing into our seas rivers and lakes... we have water treatment plants across the country that are donkeys years old and are either too small to handle the waste flowing thru them or they are dilapidated from years of neglect... and our geniuses in the epa dont have a problem with this but they do have a problem with cows.... so there and the govts answer to our water quality is reduce the cows while at the same time allow thousands of immigrants into the country at a time of a housing crisis on top of having out of date treatment plants to treat waste from the 5millions people in this country....

the farmers have been fucked under a bus dawg..... AGAIN

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

That guy hasn’t a clue. The Seine catchment is in tillage since Roman times!

Tillage feeds the world, not dairy.

Follow me. I was ridiculed and lambasted here over a decade ago when posters were advising on how to kill clover in swards etc…now you’d swear to fcuk that ye just invented legumes!

It’s quite annoying when Politicians/EPA/IFA etc get the blame for shyte that ye did. Fair dues to the commission for calling a halt.

I suggested to Teagasc to send over a couple of open minded students with shorts, sandals and a notebook…I could hear the laughing from here! That’s ended well.

If you need to follow some guru on twitter then follow someone that farms over 1000ha organically. They’re the most progressive farmers I know of.

Btw, they’re only testing water for N & P with ye, they run a staggering list of tests here for all sorts. Evian water has been found to have Chlorothalonil…a fungicide banned since 2020 etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Anyone with a brain would like to see water quality improve but are dairy farmers being blamed for something they have little to do with. Even towns that have major upgrades in water treatment are still releasing water that's not been treated properly. Why doesn't the EPA investigate and clearly state the cause of the pollution.

ZZZZZZZ, you want me to post some videos of shyte being spread on waterlogged fields out of season?

I’m not allowed to spread any fert or organic manures from June to October. Artificial fert dates go from 10th March to end of May, and I’m only allowed use 45u/ac for the year. I could go on…and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Dawg, you are kidding yourself.

The people who are gunning for dairy farmers see the tillage farmer in the exact same light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭straight

They've been forcing out the smaller farmers for years. That's progress it seems.

Alot of lads overstocked to try to remain viable but that's coming under pressure now too.

I wouldn't be too worried about it, there are plenty easier jobs out there to do. One thing I wouldn't be doing is take on a job along with milking cows. One job is enough for any man.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cowman10

It’s not much bother tho as you keep blowing on about how much land you have and how your offered a few hundred acres of land every second week. Come on back to Ireland to farm and put your money where your big **** mouth is. You wouldn’t last a week. Lads here milking 80 to 100 cows no help **** weather and small wet fragmented farms, trying to rear a family in many cases. You need to wind in your neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,510 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I'll meet you in Enniscorthy right now if you want?

*think you've the wrong poster.

Never said otherwise.

There’s a propensity on this forum to point the finger at tillage farmers as being as culpable as dairy..it maybe so, but imho it’s the MP on dairy farms that’s the big culprit. Remember cows are ‘land spreading’ slurry on the MP for 8-9mts of the year…then it gets another dollop in January with the umbilical, then urea, then ‘watery slurry’ and urea/can every few weeks. But but but the SEWAGE!

While the MP goes under the guise of other/all grassland the water will continue to degrade in quality. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cowman10

Hahaha ya it was ment for the know it all from France! Apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 11,510 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It's the 80's at least the water is being tested. Levels were higher then too.

Ye are further down the road than we are though in water framework development policies though. Wasn't all the talk about livestock out there too and the belief the change to tillage would improve waterways. And then it didn't.

I can't share pdf files but Google may bring it up.

He'd be an academic environmentalist who'd be aware of these talks and findings.

We are at a crossroads in this country. You can have the likes of an taisce clogging the airways with the non stop anti livestock that was preached twenty years ago in France. Or a full serious look at all aspects of N leachates to waterways.

But at the moment it's an Taisce with go plant based to save the waterways. Which is bolony.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Like your views on lots of things dwag but your farming multiples of acres more than the biggest of us here and your obviously gone from rural Ireland a long time …..we’ve spent huge money on compliance here and are continuing to do so for better water and enviro standards whilst far worse polluters than any farmer get a pass …..dero will go here unless we get politicians with a backbone and our lobby groups go Dutch style ……honest hard working compliant farm families will see there livelihoods wiped out and rural Ireland towns and villages will suffer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Would everyone steady down abit and realise its moving to 220 now not 170.play the game thats on today not the final.tweak your system to suit this change at the moment but I wouldn't make any investment on the basis of +170.to be honest the cows that would form the difference between 220 and 250 will leave very little profit next year.welcome back dawg btw

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Epa only one motive.blame farmers and farming.they are not interested in sewage in rivers from towns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I think it fair to say the minority who gave the 2 finger to the rules(and there is one in every parish) along with DAFM failures to reign such types in, is were the majority of the blame should lie. The industry itself and the likes of the IFA had years to get this issue to the top of their agenda if they wanted to maintain the derogation. In that respect the Minister should have been told by them to sort the omni shambles in his own Department on the matter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭cosatron

if you had a 100ha and your down 3000kg of N that equates to 37 cows, so for the lads with a big stretch of land and big numbers, it would be a substantial outlay, even say the lad with 40ha in the higher band will have to cut back 11 cows and say 11 cows @8000 ltrs x 30 cent, is still €26400

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

You answered your question there ….farm with 170 in mind …..170 kg organic n will determine viability and of investement is worth it ….let’s not be flippant tho dropping to 220 which is after comming after banding will have a huge affect on a lot of farms …..silence from the opposition political parties is deafening ….

Industrial Spruce forestry and ongoing peat removal/drainage by the likes of BNM are big players in water quality issues too, especially in catchments that have recently lost top level status in mostly upland areas and the Shannon Basin(which have declined by nearly 90% since the 80's!!) - and the so called Greens in government have done FA on either of these issues!!😤

In fairness they have had a number of prosecutions against Irish Water recently and have high lighted the sewage issue in all their recent reports as being among the main water quality pressures along with AG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭148multi

What is the cost difference between the 14,6 and 16,6 slats, I am assuming that the 16,6 is much heavier.

Sometimes one wonders if there is some truth behind the old adage that the stupid son was the one that was given the farm.

Great post M.

I definitely agree with most of your post except for the political aspect. Europe will not allow the downward spiral of water quality, and going down the Dutch route of trying to disrupt national politics, won’t help anyone. Europe doesn’t give a damn anymore about farmers. They’ve a green agenda now and the green lobby is powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭mf240

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭older by the day

Don't worry the ploughing match is coming up. All the plump baldy comb over old lads licking the politicians holes.

They will wheel out that old woman and say that the ploughing match is no place for protest. People will go,say nothing, buy their plastic stick and go home mumbling to themselves that the government are useless

Your a pack of fuuucking cowards the hole lot of ye. They will bring back rates on farm land yet when they see what push overs you all are

Advertisement