Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** Starfield ****

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's hard not to compare BG3 and Starfield if you've played them both recently, which will cover a lot of people as they've both been released in the last six weeks! Especially as a lot of people have only time for one massive, time-consuming RPG in their lives :)

They are ultimately different games in very many ways, but they are both big, long-in-the-works visions of the future of RPGs. BG3 is a hugely dynamic, choice-filled RPG that allows for a fairly unprecedented (in video game terms, anyway) level of customization and 'role playing'. Starfield can't help but feel a tad limited and old-fashioned in comparison, while obviously still having a few benefits of its own. If we're talking about sandboxes, the former is on an entirely different level given the depth and fluidity of its systems.

There's a place for both, but having dabbled in both over the past week BG3 is a vastly more intriguing proposition from the off.

I still don't see how one game could ruin another for me.

I mean, I've really enjoyed the outpost elements of Starfield. Assuming BG3 doesn't have that, would I say that BG3 has been ruined for me? No.

I dunno, I don't want a big debate on it. I just find video game critique logic to be very odd. Nonsensical even.

It's like saying the movie The Godfather has ruined Goodfellas for me. I like both for different reasons, even though they are similar in being movies about the Italian American mafia.

Or saying The Beatles have ruined guitar pop for me, so I can't enjoy any other guitar pop music anymore.

Only in gaming does this logic apply. Or so it seems to me at least.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Definitely not about a big debate either, but I think it's very natural to compare and contrast similar pieces of media existing in the same cultural moment! I think Breath of the Wild made it hard for me to engage with Horizon: Zero Dawn because the former's design made the latter seem rather limited in comparison. It's not just gaming, either: something like Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning makes an Indy 5 or Fast X seem crappier in comparison, when they're all playing in the same cinema and targeting a broadly similar audience. Obviously, it's only fair to take a piece of media on its own terms, but there are times when two or more things exist in very close adjacency and comparisons can't help but be made as part of the natural conversation about them.

I agree with everything you said. Perhaps I'm taking the word "ruined" too literally. Maybe the journalist was being hyperbolic. A journalist would never do that though, would they? 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Movies don't date as fast as video games though. Systems, UX, graphics, presentation.

• Advertisement

Great games are always great. The old Mario and Sonic games are just as good as ever. Sonic 1 still looks great to me, because they nailed the art style. Still plays great. So no, that point isn't always true.

And yes, movies can age fast. But some movies age better than others. Jurassic Park still looks great, but other CGI movies of that era haven't aged well.

The journalist was being hyperbolic to get clicks. It's possible to enjoy both games.

I feel like I've made my points enough in this thread. I'm not engaging any further in it as it's just distracting from the point of the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It is kinda shocking to have a game this rough after 7 years of development. And his upgrade comments don't paint him in a good light. I'll give it another bash tonight, but im trading in AC6 today so might have something else to distract me.

Good thing it was "free". I would've been rightly annoyed if I'd paid for it. Having to play 10-12 hours of a game to get to the good bit is too long. I can't see myself continuing after tonight until a 60fps mode tbh. I'll take rough minor details at 60 over what it currently offers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Remember when Sin came out and then Half Life a week later and made it totally redundant. Well it's like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I guess my point was ... I think they could have implemented a lot of Starfield in the current latest Skyrim engine. I'm wondering what is really technically different between the two games, that anyone would notice if it was removed. I'd imagine, yes, there will be a 60 FPS version on Series X at some stage, maybe with dynamic resolution etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think that kind of gets to the crux of my problem. Elder Scrolls and Fallout games have always been 'exploration games' as you say. You go off wandering towards something vaguely interesting looking on the map or just stumble across something in the world and you're suddenly two hours deep in a bandit cave on a quest you knew nothing about. It feels like that part is kind of absent from Starfield. Everything is so deliberate and every location you visit something you do with intent, usually from a menu. The whole exploration aspect feels like it's lacking for me.

• Advertisement

I better not play BG3 until after Starfield then.

"stumble across something in the world and you're suddenly two hours deep in a bandit cave on a quest you knew nothing about."

I've had this exact experience in Starfield.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There's usually a "point" during traditional Open World games: usually early on & that moment you arrive at a mountain top, an overhang or something and it encourages you to stop & look across the horizon. There'll be landmarks, geographic or just some silhouette of some towns' more prominent structures, somewhere off in the distance - and the game quietly says "off you go". Time for adventure.

I'm one of those weirdos who's in this thread but hasn't played the game yet - and so I'd wonder if that vibe exists in Starfield - and if it doesn't, maybe that's what's missing? A hard energy to recreate with a literal galaxy of options where there quite literally is no horizon to be inspired by.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Usually you are fine if there's a big enough gap between them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I was doing a side last night for the banker guy, was on quest 3 for him and went to the planet where the marker was and landed and it was telling me to get back on the ship, anyone else run into this?

I can put BG3 on my wishlist. I'll be taking my time with Starfield so I'll probably pick it up on sale next year.

No you're right in your assumption, it definitely doesn't have that feel to it like Skyrim or Elden Ring would. It's something different.

There is stuff in the distance to see and travel to on land, buildings, caves, etc, with enemies or minor quests. But it doesn't feel the same as the above titles.

I think the developers tried to offset this by making the quests take some very memorable routes and set pieces. They don't always give you the exact location of quests either so you need to track them down sometimes with your scanner.

But the general wanderlust experience of this game is more abstract due to it being set in space. You really need a reason for yourself to visit the worlds. Though there are plenty of side missions that encourage you to do this, such as working as a researcher for a company, etc. But every planetary body I've landed on has had some point of interest to find. And some of them have mini quests associated with them.

Or you can have your own motivations. One example, I got into the surveying/science side of the game which then led me into the outpost part too, because they are connected in ways. It's surprisingly deep in terms of what you do, and how many skills there are associated with it. But whether you find that appealing is your call, I've certainly found it interesting. Maybe you won't.

I don't know enough about the game yet, but apparently you can do something similar in a more criminal pursuit. But I can't confirm as the game is too new. But my general point is that there are reasons to explore, but it's not the traditional one map RPG sense of exploration.

There are encounters in space too, that can lead to any number of outcomes, quests. But I've noticed people are missing these because they use fast travel to teleport around the galaxy instead of flying there like you're supposed to. For example I flew to one system as a stopover before I went to another. I got a distress call and checked it out. What happened next was a two hour long quest with interesting characters, dialogue/persuasion, space combat, invading a space station. It was a lot for a simple misc quest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I had this experience on the very first story world "kreet" last night, see some buildings in the distance and went to them and they where all interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭feargantae

I really don't understand why the game runs so badly on my Series X. The fans are louder playing Fortnite! I wonder is there a buildup of dust or something, despite it being well ventilated.

Not sure if this link will work but this is what my game often does during character dialogue!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ive finally settled on these settings with the custom presets, just go to custom and set these as per screenshot, see how it works out for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I don't think I done that mission but I did get confused myself trying to get to a town. Some locations have two different places you press down(on Xbox) to choose each place when on the starship map. It's a bit confusing and I haven't explained it properly but once you figure it out you will not make the same mistake.

Might be an issue with your Series X. Mine isn't making any noise and is lukewarm.

I haven't encountered that dialogue issue either, it might be related to the heat issue?

Hmmm i wonder would it be a bad idea to get one of those cans of air from Dealz and try blow around the fan?

I have it standing up, on a desk. It's not near anything else.

It definitely must be a heat issue because someone the Xbox itself crashes during gameplay and has to be rebooted.

Be careful with compressed air and fans - you can easily break a fan entirely with air spray if you’re not super careful, at least with PCs so presumably consoles too.

Thanks for telling me! Maybe this sounds stupid but could i flip the Xbox upside down then run something that cranks the fan up in the hopes of it blowing all the dust out?

I'd say try to find a few tutorials on how to clean dust out of it.

Also make sure it's on a hard flat surface with room to breathe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

There must be a serious lackn of talent now at Bethesda or terrible project management to get to this point. I wish they could have really blown us away.

I've been playing it non stop for a week now. I'd consider myself blown away. I'll be playing this for years I reckon.

If it's not for you, that's ok. There's plenty of games that people love that I couldn't get into. I just moved on from them and played something else.

Life goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Depending on the quality of the air can if you don't hold them at the right angle they can spray out as a liquid.

Be careful of that and don't do it when the console is turned on just incase. Use short bursts so as not to spin up a fan by accident if your not going to take it apart, if you took it apart you can just hold the fan in place while cleaning it

Other than that I don't think there is much to worry about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

It's worth investing in a battery (or mains) powered dust blower. You don't have the worries with condensation. Good for so many computer and console related chores.

Back to the game I'm about 20 hours in and I think this one will be a 7/10 for me. While I didn't want a No Mans Sky level of spacer detail I did want the typical style ES/Fallout world to explore and here it's all just quest bubbles and instances. Now those instances are excellently done just not what made the Bethesda formula uniquely great for me.

Advertisement