Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Yeah I suppose when you agree with her! Do you think that Dee Forbes should have given herself a pay increase and also do you think Breada O'Keefee should have taken a redundance package.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Ian didn’t insult Ryan, that’s unfair to Ian who is also a gentleman.

Ian’s case also shows how unwise RTE have been to let Ryan go, he’s been a fantastic presenter for Today FM.

Maybe if Kevin had been more aware of that background he’d have been a bit more cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

He won't answer as it does not suit what he is conveying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

A quick question just for the Tubridy Fans, what was the topic of his last radio show?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

That's a trick question. On Boards, the only people that watch/listen to Tubridy are people who hate him.

• Advertisement

So, even the people who are standing up for Tubridy can't remember?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Comparing Ian to Ryan?

Like chalk and cheese - worlds apart

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Yeah, I think it is quite a measured article. It's something I like about Finn, she is very fair and doesn't feel the need to be blinded by identity politics or cultural conflict.

On those RTE matters, quite honestly, I don't know. On the surface of it, those moves do seem unorthodox but I really wouldn't have the financial or legal expertise to know. I'm hopeful that the matter will all be cleared up soon. There are lessons to be learned, some of the commentary about these matters has been very unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Re: Ian Dempsey and Tubridy

The bit about no longer being gifted an audience seems relevant today :)

RYAN Tubridy's radio honeymoon ended today with an extraordinary attack on the presenter by rival Ian Dempsey.

Tubridy had been "cushioned" up to now by RTE and he doubted whether he could fill Gerry Ryan's shoes, Dempsey said.

Tubridy would now finally have to prove himself -- because he would no longer be gifted an audience from Morning Ireland, the Today FM host claimed. Tubridy's RTE colleague Pat Kenny seemed to echo the comments, saying: "Ian made a valid point."

"There is a certain unknown about Ryan's performances while supported by the two established vehicles of Morning Ireland and my programme," Pat added.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/herald/dempseys-shock-attack-on-exposed-tubridy-and-rte/27960285.html

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

This is from one of his last days on the radio.

"Ryan Tubridy has called out 'tight-fisted' people after former US President Donald Trump didn't pay for people's meals in a Miami restaurant despite saying he would.

Mr Trump was indicted on 37 federal charges surrounding the retention of various classified documents that he allegedly took from the White House, and following a court appearance appeared at a Cuban restaurant in Little Havana -- where he told restaurant patrons that all their meals were on him."

However, Mr Trump reportedly left the restaurant without picking up the bill -- with Ryan joking on his radio show that Mr Trump is a bit 'tight fisted' -- read 'cheap' -- when it comes to his expenses.

[The restaurant experience] probably explains why he couldn't find a lawyer -- apparently, he's a bit tight-fisted when it comes to ponying up the dough,' Ryan joked. 'It's one of the worst traits in the world, one can have -- being mean or tight fisted.

It's not good, because most tight fisted people have no idea that we can see them. They think we don't spot it, but in fact we all talk about it,' Ryan continued before giving a few examples. 'When you short for that round, you're suddenly not available -- especially in Ireland, it's the round test. If you're skimping on a round, you're just gonna have very few friends. Next time out, you won't be invited.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Just my own opinion - but I am convinced that NK is furiously pulling every trick out of the book to try to get RT a gig in the UK. Again, pure speculation, but I would be quite confident that everything we've seen and read about RT in the past few days (UK trip and today's Irish Time article) have all been orchestrated by NK.

To say the UK bits'n'bobs were random would be an understatement. Why Evans? Why Morgan?? Morgan is a huge Trump supporter, and RT is a huge Hillary fan. They are chalk and cheese. My only explanation is that they were the only contacts NK could use to try to drum up something for RT.

The Irish Times article is clearly a puff piece. Anyone with any semblance of critical thinking can see that.

NK desperately needs RT to land a gig in the UK. He has long used the UK-broadcaster-bogeyman as a token in contract negotiations with RTE. The bluff has finally been called. For the sake of all his other clients, NK 100% needs this to work out. It makes absolute sense that he would do everything he can and use every contact who will answer the phone.

Guess the poor underpaid staff didn't cough up for his birthday trip to see the Beatles. :) There is a strange lack of responses from the Tubridy fans. Surprised the Irish Times hasn't given him an op-ed column yet.

Regards...jmcc

Bakhurst used a very clever negotiation tactic with Tubridy. He separated the monkey from the organ grinder. He's also stated that he will not talk to Kelly (very much the organ grinder) about the other talent. With the dire state of RTE's finances and its complete mismanagement, the money paid to the "talent" will probably be a major feature of a bailout. Kelly and NKM have become politically toxic and NKM has already lost clients.

In UK terms, the Irish Times is just a small-town newspaper. Kelly would need to be getting Tubridy coverage in the UK Daily Mail and to a lesser extent, the Sun and the Mirror. Tubridy just isn't a part of the UK media scene so he couldn't command ridiculous RTE money in the UK. Tubridy couldn't even use being related to some medieval English courtier. Unlike Tubridy, even Danny Dyer is related to real UK royalty.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

While most of us may have different opinions to you regarding Ryan Tubridy, I do have to give you credit for answering and giving what seems to be your honest opinion regarding that particular question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

I dunno, Alison Hammond might run over and "mount"* Ryan, like she did with Jason Donovan. Ryan'd need medical attention.

• the word used in the gutter press report. What must Kylie have thought???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭yagan

You have the same problem as RT, you don't listen, you don't internalise. You only project.

You add nothing here but grit to the mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

By “on” I meant presently.

A bit? It’s from memory almost a decade since he covered for Norton (I can t remember did he cover for just 2 or maybe it was 4 shows on radio) and he hasn’t been back since…..which in itself tells you how those shows went.

The lesser known presenters on regional radio in the UK aren’t on £150,000 STG, and I can’t see them breaking their own wage barriers to hire an unknown…..which is what he is in the UK.

As I often pointed out in the lonely confines of the radio thread these superfans didn’t even listen to his show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I reckon NK knows Tubs hasn't got a chance in hell of getting a UK gig, but he's sending him over there for photo-ops, in an effort to make him look important, so he can come back to Ireland and say that we had some "meetings" with high-profile UK movers and shakers, but Tubs decided to come back to Ireland, as he's a homebird at heart. But he could have gone! Always remember that, and how lucky we are to have him on our airwaves! Don't rattle him again, or he will go and you'll all be sorry then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

What, because Tubridy has a few quid in his back pocket and came from privileged background it’s inconceivable that he could be a “scumbag”?

He stole from and deceived the tax payer, he’s a scumbag in the truest sense of the word, no better than what I’d imagine you would view as a scumbag. He’s a lot of other things on top of being a scumbag too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Curiosity got the better of me, there were two posts during the show, the rest were all after the news broke about the payments.

First one was me:

"I still don't know what an air fryer is". If only there was some way of finding out about all these things that he doesn't know anything about.

Second was avfc1874:

Listened to first five minutes, to see if got any better since he left LLS,

FFS, innane waffle, mentioned don't know what air fryer is, hopeing to bag a free top of range one,

Saw clip of this and that film, all good eggs in them,

Books are fab, you'll never be bored with a book, but if you don't read your still a good egg,

How does one man get so much for so little,

He must know stuff, about rte,🤔😒

• Arr NK & himself setting up in a broadcasting partnership? 🤔 Does he have a big mast emanating from the back garden or is it purely for streaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

Yes, it's a possibility but because it'll be a few rungs down from the likes of Evans, I don't believe this is the goal.

The BBC is in the process of gutting their local radio services, other regional radio has disappeared into the Heart, Smooth, Absolute and Greatest Hits national brands.

The sort of people they hire for their key strands are Amanda Holden, Frank Skinner, ken Bruce, Simon Mayo, Alexander Armstrong etc.

Outside of those stars, they hire very good radio pros who fit the formats on modest money.

Tubs is neither a star nor a format friendly presenter in the UK sense.

That's why I believe this London business and the crazy coverage by NKM client journalists is purely being done for an Irish (media) audience.

To show us that Noel still has lead in his pencil.

Maybe I'm wrong but if he's still showing us fanboy photos on his insta in 6 months time with no gig, well that's very bad for Noel Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

I’m not sure if it’s always been this way or it’s changes since the scandal, but I’ve only just noticed that Tubs’ instagram has him “following” 0 people.

Just when I thought he couldn’t be any more cringy. Talk about narcissism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Economics101

This is a truly vile, hate-filled post. Pointless arguing with you, but I can't let your post go without objection.

The irony and complete lack of self-awareness in this from Tubs, who used to use his show to explicitly ask for not just random things for free, but quite specific ones too. Another fine example of the man’s hypocrisy.

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Sorry Sunny, but this line

On those RTE matters, quite honestly, I don't know. On the surface of it, those moves do seem unorthodox but I really wouldn't have the financial or legal expertise to know. I'm hopeful that the matter will all be cleared up soon. There are lessons to be learned, some of the commentary about these matters has been very unpleasant.

I am sorry but I have had a similar circular arguments over the years on boards with a similar user about RTÉ on the Dee Forbes thread: -

You are entitled not to have an opinion or opt not to have one, absolutely.

However, you clearly feel that Dee Forbes and Breda O'Keefee dropped Mr Tubrity into this mess and this is a mess of their creation, and that of the Executive Board and the Board of management at RTÉ, to then stand by and to give a political answer to a straight forward question doesn't make much sense to me.

With all due respect, I can only come to the conclusion that you are a plant of some kind.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

He/she wouldn’t be the first and likely won’t be the last to infiltrate this thread (and those of NKM talent in radio) to spread the propaganda and generally bat for “Team Good Eggs”.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement