Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭madeiracake

Hee hee the underclass are getting rowdy. How dare we not know our "place".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I wonder would Finn McRedmond take a bet with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

"apparently, he's a bit tight-fisted when it comes to ponying up the dough,' Ryan joked."

Oh... the irony

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I will swallow my to give if he leaves these shores🥴😁

I don't think the man is capable of surviving outside the rte/Ireland bubble just like so many of them.

Without rte to facilitate them I truly don't think they could hold down a job in Tesco's (no insult to Tesco or their staff).

And by they I mean the Miriams, dermots, Lottie's, Ryan's et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

But do you not realise it is fun for us to see Tubridy, a talentless twit who has had it easy all his life, get his comeuppance and fail spectacularly. And to see his defenders getting all worked up is just the icing on the cake for us! He has been rammed down our throats for years in Ireland by NK and RTE. Let them all burn now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭yagan

How do you feel about Ryan's hatred towards his colleagues where he still refuses to give back his covert top-up when they all took a cut.

In any circumstance thats scummy behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

So your opinion on Dee Forbes, Breada O'Keefee, Rory Coveney and the RTÉ executive board and the board of the RTÉ. The whole point of this site is to have an opinion please share you opinion.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Ha, if there was a plant I’d assume they’d be more able than me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

You would think that alright, but apparently not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,627 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

As a regular listener to “In our time”, Tubridy is to Melvyn Bragg as a cheap ass greasy as fcuk chipper burger is to a 5 star Michelin fillet steak

Post edited by Beechwoodspark on

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Moya Doherty, Dee Forbes, Breda O'Keefe and Jim Jennings should be the main story but instead the IT is serving up opinion pieces on RT. All to divert the peasants' attentiion away from the fact that the Gov appointed RTE Board:

- allowed CFO to take a massive redundancy package she was not eligible for 

- knowlingly accepted Dee Forbes resgination as she was going to be thrown under the bus  

- is now hiding behind some kind of #mentalhealthweek bs to allow Dee Forbes and Jim Jennings to refuse to answer any questions

Of course the announcement of the conclusion of "all the exhaustive - yet necessary - investigations into RTE" will be bookended by confirmation that the license fee will become a direct tax "in order to protect our democracy". If FFG are feeling particularly vindictive they might include a line about how "the national broadcaster has a crucial role in combatting the worry escalation of hate speech" - ROFL!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

Not surprised that she hopes Tubridy succeeds in Britain - another Irish success story in London would be a fount of feel-good stories for her - but she is distorting history to make her case.

The pathetic reality is that no RTÉ “top talent” ever made it in Britain. Terry Wogan escaped RTÉ when he was a cub reporter. Dermot Morgan was a refugee when RTÉ scrapped Scrap Saturday (the last funny programme RTÉ ever made - and that is a prediction! 🥺)

Do you get the feeling she never actually listened to Tubs or watched his LLS. Did he ever say anything spontaneously witty over all those years? Graham Norton does it every week.

I like her naivety about his future “radio” career. At least Piers Morgan knows that TV is the only place where he could earn a half-million honestly (from advertising, not out of a licence fee).

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Give it up lad. You’ve been found out plus no one cares

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Bakhurst used a very clever negotiation tactic with Tubridy. He separated the monkey from the organ grinder. He's also stated that he will not talk to Kelly (very much the organ grinder) about the other talent.

That's one of the fantastic things to emerge out of this. I made a comment here about 8 months ago that...'it would be gas if it turned out that the new DG was someone that Noel Kelly bullied for years in school' - Now that's not the case I'm sure but Bakhurst seems to have taken a serious dislike to our Noel (professionally or personally)

All the truly awful talent - Baz, Kathryn T, Eoin McGee, Kieran McCarthy, Hugh Wallace etc etc, are still running out their shows atm because these shows were more than likely commissioned/contracted/recorded before the scandal broke and I foresee a very deferent landscape next year - Will the Irish nation be able to survive such a dearth of extraordinarily talented people?...only time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Bakhurst may have noticed that having too many NKM clients in RTE was not necessarily a good thing for RTE or for the market. It was interesting the way that some RTE NKM clients became ex-clients so quickly.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭inajock

I'd be inclined to think now that Richard Collins stuttered over his salary questioning because he didn't want to pony up about the recent 10% increase he had awarded himself and the C suite buddies and wasnt sure it had hit his account yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Noel Kelly should be a pariah.

So should anyone with a modicum of of power in RTE over at least the last two decades.

The latter have fed at the trough with alarming greed.

The former has, through his machinations, provided us with a diet of nonsensical, bland, pandering, unimaginative, and worthless gruel-and a hefty bill after the espresso (a small cup of regurgitated misery).

He's a parasite, as are many of his clients-those without independent talent or thought of their own of course.

I hope D4 gets called out for this, I really do, as with HIM.

People need to be called out for getting away with this, the arrogance needs to be curtailed.

Unfortunately, going by unsocial media, the country is surrounded by the witless-it won't happen.

In Bakhurst we trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

It's so obvious they are a plant. So why are they doing this? Surely if you are batting for team NKM & RT you don't make it so obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

For me it was when they waived their 2.4M legal costs in defending Beverly Cooper Flynn's libel case - because Bertie had a word with the DG at the time.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2014/0428/612174-beverley-cooper-flynn-loses-libel-appeal-against-rte-2004/

Does anyone know when Dee will be well enough to answer the outstanding questions in front of PAC?

Or is she just on an indefinite sick line for the rest of her life? Will be interesting to see what happens if she happens to be suddenly well enough to take up a new job somewhere or as a non exec board member in some organisation……

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I was in court the other day for no car tax (struck out).

There was 140 TV licence cases before mine.

The Judge asked one guy did he have a TV licence. He said no.

He was asked was he going to get one. He said no.

He then got a fine of €160 and said he was not paying that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭fran38

The current thinking on here is that "they cant bring us all to court" or " itll clog up the system". As this example shows, the law has zero consideration about the rights and wrongs of why individuals suddenly decide not to pay the licence fee. It doesnt read the room or decides on the best ciurse of action in terns of how the public sways on issues. The law is concerned about administering the rules thats laid down previously.

I dont have a tv licence abd havent done so since 2011. I was taken to court in 2014 and i invoked the Gary Doyle order. Case was struck out.

Whats the Gary Doyle order?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It's the precedent set from DPP V Doyle 1994 (https://ie.vlex.com/vid/dpp-v-doyle-793018873) that the defendant is entitled to seek disclosure of all documents and evidence that the prosecution have that relates to their case, whether the prosecution is going to rely on it when making their case or not. It's now a standard procedure in criminal trials.

fran38 would have to expand in the details in their personal experience, but I assume that the prosecution failed to provide such disclosure, and the judge struck the case out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

But his clients are still appearing on various rte shows, as guests.

2 very common examples are Eoin McGee and David Coleman. These guys are always on the Claire Byrne show, and must be the only financial expert and child psychologist in the country.

If I was KB I would be paying the producers of these radio shows a quick visit and telling them that starting today I want to see a range of different 'experts' appearing on the airwaves. Not always the same one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

It's the sneaky ones that piss me off. Y'know, the people that are team NK but don't publicly say so

This is one of the biggest examples (snip from an Indo article)

"All but Mr Wallace are represented by NKM..." - Seems the Indo can't join the dots/read between the lines, either

I'll just add, Mr Wallace has been on the radio with Brendan O'Connor many, many, many, many times, for some unknown reason

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The Chris Evans article was funny , Chris was just being nice 🤣

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement