Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AOVO Scooter not working after 4 months. AOVO refuse to supply a new battery

Options
  • 07-03-2023 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'll cut to the chase...I bought an AOVO scooter online from Germany, last October, this is where they ship from at least,

and l now have a problem with it. Problem came about a few weeks ago, so beginning of Feb .

The scooter fails to charge or turn on at all. Sent them a mail about this and they were all very friedly

and said they would do their best to sort it. I ended up having to fault find it. Sent them a video as

requested. They basically said it looked like the battery was at fault and here was the link to buy a new

one.

I said to them that this was a very short time in terms of the battery failing and it should last

at least 2 years if not more.

I'm back and forth with them at least 15 times. I told them about consumer law regarding a repair, a replacement

or a refund if an item is bought within the EU.

I got no comment but a link sent to me simply with the warranty terms, ( which are pretty well rubbish ).

I rang the Citizens information in Ireland asking about my rights in getting a new battery. They agreed it fell way short

in terms of how long it lasted.

They refuse to give me the address of the warehouse in Germany they come from.

I'm going down the road of small claims court nor as a new battery will cost me at least half

the price I paid for the scooter.

Did anyone else have any problems like this I'm wondering with this company and

what was the outcome?

Thanks, Rich

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

OP I cant help you with knowledge of escooters batterys etc but as it sounds like you are getting nowhere with this company your best bet is to go the Small Claims Court route. Lucky for you there is a European Small Claims Court which is specifically set up to settle disputes between customer and company across EU borders.

The fee to lodge your case is the same as the Irish Small Claims Court (25 euro) but unlike the Irish one if you win your case you get your 25 euro back plus any costs it takes to translate documents as part of your claim.

Id imagine that once the company gets notice of a court case and it costing them money to hire a lawyer to defend it then they will just send you your battery instead rather than go ahead spending more money defending it. That all presumes that they are a legitimate company and not some fly by night artists

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

How did you pay? I would try a chargeback before I went via SCC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Can be shipped from timbuktoo and it would not matter.

You bought from

AOVO TECHNOLOGY (HONGKONG) LIMITED

UNITD 18, 3/F, WONG KING INDUSTRIAL BUILDING, NO.2 TAI YAU STREET, KL

and here's their warranty which you accepted and agreed to https://www.aovostore.com/warranty/

specifically - 90 days repairs warranty, not including battery

Its up front and not hidden in anyway. You bought from a hong kong company and its Hong kong rules that apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

They will simply delete the email and put the documents in the bin. EU laws don't apply to Hong Kong. (same if you have an issue with a UK company - neither irish nor eu scc has any say in uk laws)

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

ok, thanks for the input from all of you.

I rang up the citizens information bureau and they basically said that I was probably wasting my time with this

as it was probably a Chinese origin.

The address above is correct, thanks for that Walter.

I need to just fault find it myself and try to repair. Haven't had the time up to now, just too busy.

I stripped it down and need to see what's going on, it does not appear to be the battery actually.

I measured the voltage on that and its fine. I need to figure out what the trigger is that turns the

unit on.

Cheers

Rich

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Been through this with computers many times. Batteries are regarded as consumables and as such not generally covered... Sorry for the bad news

• Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Shock,horror - Chinese tat falls apart and consumer is outraged!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭cml387

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Just been through this myself with a 6 month old Aovo. Absolute piece of junk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Also given that these devices are not road legal makes it doubly a piece of junk!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭GavPJ

No sympathy for anyone that buys one of these things.

They are a scourge to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Escooters are illegal. No sympathy, oh tracksuited one.

Keep off the road and especially the pavement!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Illegal like dodgy "android" streaming boxes and boxes with 2,000 pirated games on them.

(1)

How come Amazon etc knowingly sell these things .

And get away with it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

(2)

Also how do I check what quality marks anything sold on Amazon is. Eg Kite mark, CE mark.

How do I know it's not fake ?

Who is responsible if the battery explodes ?

(3)

I can't buy a battery off Amazon , but I can buy a device with a battery.

Sorry to bounce on the thread, but these particular things I find incredible.

There is world of difference between something being CE marked or whatever and something allowed under the Road Traffic Acts. Stop conflating two completely different things.

As I said, escooters are NOT road legal in Ireland. That includes paths but the numpties that use them just carry on regardless. I was glas to read that they are now BANNED from central Paris. They are a scourge.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Against all odds, Aovo just emailed me to say they are dispatching me a new battery free of charge. No doubt this will enrage most posters in this thread.

I wasn't aware personally of their legal status, but using a scooter means I can leave the car at home, avoid traffic & parking, save 1 hour commuting and be kinder to the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

But they are illegal to use on public roads and are complete nuisance in cycle lanes as well! More importantly, if you are involved in an accident the victim will have no insurance to claim from!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Kinder to the air but to hell with other road or footpath users? Those batteries don't materialise on a magic organic battery tree either.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭phester28

Are e-scooters legal in Ireland 2023?

The EU approval process, known as TRIS, is a compulsory step in the regulation of e-scooters in member states under single market rules and takes a minimum of 12 weeks. Therefore, the Government expects e-scooters to be legal in Ireland by the fourth quarter of 2023..27 Jun 2023

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They are legal in Ireland to buy and own, where you use them decides if they are illegal or not (at present).

For those saying they should be banned, look at our roads and look what causes the most deaths and injurys, also what drive on footpaths the most....I'll give you a hint, its not escooters...its cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭crinkley

Except they're not banned from Paris, the hire ones are - well the hire ones that you can just leave anywhere, a long term hire company is planning on swooping in to fill the market gap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I've never had a car fly past me when I was walking on the footpath but I've often had e-scooters fly past me at speed. Can only imagine what would have happened if I'd changed path to avoid walking into someone or something on the path.

Are you daft or trolling? Are you ACTUALLY saying that more cars DRIVE on footpaths than escooters???

• Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Remember the days when threads used to be about the thing they were about…

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yes,

Many, many, many thousands of cars daily drive on footpaths. Somebody would have to be a little dim not to see this.

Look in any town, village or city, housing estate etc in Ireland and you'll see cars parked on footpaths.

Unless you think those cars teleported into position on footpaths I think you'll find they drove on the footpath in order to get into position to park on the footpath. I can walk down the street locally in a small town right now and find at least 40 on footpaths that drove on the footpath to get where they are.

Do you believe they teleported into position, because it sounds like you do? 😂

Tell me, how do you think the cars in this photo get on the footpath?

The reality is cars are the biggest killers on our roads in Ireland, they seriously injure and kill more people then scooters ever will. They also kill more pedestrains and cyclists then escooters ever will.

They drive and park on footpaths in every village, town and city and make life hell for pedestrians and result in creating massive inconvenience and greater risk to those with disabilities or those with children.

But yeah...e scooters are the real issue 🙄

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The legislation to legalise e-scooters (within certain performance parameters) was signed into law a couple of months ago by Higgins. So it's not correct to state they are illegal to use on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭Xterminator

wrong mate. the law is passed and the regulations are pending. current status is they are illegal.

E-Scooter Regulations

The Department of Transport has prepared new regulations, and a range of changes to existing regulations, to introduce e-scooters, including:

• amending the Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations 1997 (SI 182/1997)
    • amending the Road Traffic (Signs) Regulations 1997 (SI 181/1997)
    • amending the Road Traffic Act 2010 (Part 3) (Fixed Charge Offences) Regulations 2022 (SI 526/2022)
    • introducing new Road Traffic (Electric Scooter) Regulations 2023

E-scooters will not be legal for use on public roads until these regulations are in place. E-scooters that do not comply with the regulations will remain illegal for use on Irish roads.

It is anticipated that all regulations for e-scooters will be in place in Q4 2023, once the EU TRIS process, detailed below, has been completed.

@Cabaal

So you are equating driving 2m to park on the footpath (which I agree is completely abhorrent) and driving an escooter for, possibly several kilometres at a time, as the same thing?? You are using semantics to link the verbs PARKING and DRIVING in these instances.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Cheers, sounds like a bit of legal limbo in practice - what judge would do someone for something that has been 'legalised' bar the extra paperwork?

Advertisement