Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

What’s the Phoenix Park September record now that we know Casement and D A ?

I presume it was on the same day as the Clongowes record, Sep 1 1906?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Muggy now in Sligo, you can see the moisture in the air in the distance, thunder incoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Clouds rolled in a while ago. Eglinton was close to the September record of 27.6c for the north set way back on the 1st September 1906

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mount Dillon 28c at 3pm.

And quite a few stations at 27c - Athenry, Claremorris, Newport and Oak Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very very warm and sticky in Kildare with hardly a breeze

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

No, 28.9C is Malin Head's record as I mentioned yesterday from 1906.

27.6C in 1906 but the day after, the 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

You know everything Sryan.

What's Saturdays lotto numbers?

Athenry might be the one to beat today or Claremorris. In the edge of the Thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

26C and thunder the last hour or so. No lightning as yet. Sun appearing from time to time.

Leitrim.

That thunder on its way to Sligo area.

off topic, sorry … but you wouldn’t want to be on hols on the Algarve this week, from what I’m seeing it’s been under cloud since the weekend!

And here’s me pi55ed off with a cloudy day here! I need to get a grip!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,269 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Everyone is in a fantastic mood today, it's incredible the effect a calm sunny day has

• Advertisement

One thing I always have to be wary of as an asthmatic, around April/May and September in particular, is sweating outdoors on a reasonably warm day and then catching cold when the temperature plunges towards dusk. Traditional late Spring and early Autumn weather.

This week and this weather takes that sharp transition out of the equation. I can sweat away outdoors farming or exercise and no worries. When it boils down to it we all have particular personal reasons for our weather preferences.

Casement 26 under cloud, if only it was sunny that long standing record would be under threat but it’s not to be.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm fairly certain if it was sunny in Meath/Dublin today some places would have reached 28C. Final chance is tomorrow for records to tumble but this will depend on sunshine.

Yes Claremorris has done it. 27.2C on the synop

Its old record was 26.4C on 7th September 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

Anyone know why the met eireann app is showing lower coastal temperatures along the west coast in the afternoon tmrw? I can’t see any significant wind picking up. Was planning a beach trip in the afternoon tmrw…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Theee was thunder here in carrick on shannon about 20 mins ago ,sadly its abit cooler now 26c was 28c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Newport Mayo 28c 5pm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭pad199207

Calm and Sultry in Kildare 26c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Wow that's impressive especially for September considering the sun isn't as High in the sky compared to June

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Sun finally getting going here in Meath, a nice evening now and still very warm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Skies clearing in Dublin again, beautiful out there and 24 degrees. What a fantastic stretch of weather. No rain here today, I thought we were due showers today. Tomorrow looks really warm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Back from a swim and have to say it was beautiful. Sea was relatively warm. Looking forward to somwhere getting to 30c tomorrow and beating the September record. Would like to see a nightime thunderstorm tomorrow or over the weekend but that is probably asking for too much!

This is one of my all time memorable weather weeks. Going back to a 5 year old child and the 1982 January snowfall.

The 25c 3am Valentia reading Tuesday am is just surreal stuff. The daytime and night time consistently high temps. And I fully expect tomorrow to beat 29.1c. Maybe not 30c but a 29.4\29.5c temp would be still unbelievable. The 29.1C was September 1st 1906 if we top that tomorrow we are doing so with roughly half an hour's less daylight than on 1st September. So memorable.

Also quirky because this year had the earliest 29C on record on 13th June too, provided the Bunclody 29.4C is not disregarded like the Dundalk 29.9C one was. The Met never said it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

Got to 28c in Sligo at 5pm but dropping now. Wouldn't say it will be as warm here tomorrow. 26c maybe. The 29c will be more towards Oak Park I'd imagine or Moore Park.

Today was the warmest day in September in Sligo since 1906 possibly ever.

If I was to go through a brief history of weather events I lived through I remember with fondness they'd be. Note memory can play a trick or two with dates but I'm fairly confident on these:

1982 snowfall. 2 weeks off national school

1983 July and August full of thunderstorms. A really memorable one before Dublin v Cork in the 1983 semi replay in Cork.

1985 The obvious huge thunderstorms of 25\26 July. However I've fond memories of making hay during a warm September as a 9 year old. 10th and 23rd of the month reached 23.5c and this was considered very warm at the time for September!

1987 The second week of January BFTE. Monday 11th January was the coldest I ever felt, out on the school playground.

1988 June warm spell coincided with Ireland's appearance in Euro 88. Lovely month.

1989 July 17-20 was a beautiful 30c heatwave.

1990 2nd August at Curracloe Beach, it was 27c at nearby Rosslare. The previous day was record breaking in Dublin with a Fohn effect.

1991 The January snowfall was a bit sloppy, but we got a week off school with it! February 4-9 or so had a memorable easterly. -5.5c was a record in some part of South Dublin according to Eddy Graham's excellent Dublin weather diary. The first week of September was similar to this year, a degree or so cooler.

1992 Very nice May and June. Nothing record breaking but pleasant. Went downhill from there.

1993 24c on 1st September in Kilkenny was as good as it got.

1995 August.. enough said.

1996 Bland enough year but a memorable weekend of snow during the last weekend of January. February was a cold month.

1997 The snowfall which began NYE 1996 lasted with more snow and cold for 10 days at home. Very memorable. A warm if wet summer at home in Laois.

1998 The mid February warm spell. 16c calm pleasant days. Big drop to -5C by night around April 10th and Good Friday Agreement. May warm spell. Cool wet summer, a pick up in August. The mid September warm spell. Some records from it in Belmullet beaten this week.

1999 The early July warm spell was beautiful. At that time summers ending in '9' tended to be good. 1979, 1989 etc.

Ok too many memories, leave the next century until another time!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I feel the same, last night was too sticky and today was too humid also. I am just not looking forward to a return to wet weather with the cooler temperatures. Another settled spell with temperature between 17- 20 degrees would be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Ah, we need September to be sunny after that miserable summer. Don't care if it's too hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Good memories there, check out the 'Weather memories' thread a few months back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Indeed. My favourite weather at this time of Yr is dry and pleasant by day and cool at night with a bit of a chill in the air early morning, those first pangs of autumn.

Advertisement