Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

True. I think that was always the likley outcome.

But to be positive, the rule not being enforced has probably helped some of the rural tourist towns stay afloat, given lack of tourist hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

Obviously you guys all earn a lot more than me. I’d love to buy in Clay Farm but I can’t afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Blut2

If its a young couple with both earning over €100k they're not in the top 10%, more like top 1%.

Clay Farm might be modern new builds but its very much not a desirable area compared to any of the traditional actually nice coastal suburbs like Sandymount/Blackrock/Monkstown/Dalkey etc. The area around Clay Farm is very isolated and lacking in amenities. Its very much not "within a stones throw" of Blackrock, its a 20min/8km drive away.

It does show how even very high income people are getting screwed by our housing market, though. People earning in the top 1% would be able to afford to live somewhere much nicer in a functioning housing market.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

People really get caught up in what they THINK is a functioning housing market. If property is being sold and bought it is functioning just not the way you want. I do agree that things should be different but something radically changed in Ireland in the 90s disrupting the traditional housing market here. Those changes are now the norm after 30 years.

A few years in the difference of buying a property meant completely different outcomes. I have seen senior managers living in bad areas and small properties compared to much lower paid staff who are paying less for their mortgages. This means if that lower paid staff, if promoted in the mean time, can afford these expensive homes. The belief new housing is being sold to FTB and they have no saving above the deposit is the issue. The expensive housing was very rarely sold to FTBs and more often sold to people going up the ladder.

FTB housing is always the cheaper property and not every development has to be for them as we need the smaller properties and prices for FTB to become free by getting them original FTBs to move up the ladder. That is the nature of housing markets.

At one point prices were going up so quickly it made it affordable to retain the FTB house and still buy another one.

We need more housing is the only thing most people agree on now. When the government was advised by the ERSI to encourage building a large vocal public were furious. No investment happened and no housing was encouraged and we ended up with a huge housing defecate that will most likely sorted by an aging population rather than new buildings.

Bigger housing is going to be split up and can be seen in many modest housing estates around Dublin already.

There are many ways that the housing market can and will change in Ireland that people aren't even considering as they expect certain things to remain. WFH is also a huge change to housing requirements that people were considering but COVID ramped up the speed on that than anyone expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

What household income would put you in the top 5 or 10%?

Its surprisingly low. The Irish Times had an article a few months ago that said only the top 10% of households had income of more than €90,000 a year. That was based on last year's figures iirc, so its probably closer to €95,000-100,000 now, but its still not high.

Our average income figures are wildly inflated by a) being an average and b) a limited number of very high earners in finance/tech jobs in Dublin in particular. Incomes in the rest of the country are still comparatively low.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ARJn

Also to add to this

In numbers how many such 600k+ house are for sale in whole of South Dublin , I would say << 1000 in total , so for a developer to sell them they only need 1000 people with an ability to get 600k mortgage , sounds like a easy job to me.

That will also explain why even if you want to buy these houses (you have the money) there is a queue and people are camping overnight to book houses in west dublin new estates last weekend.

Cherrylane had a viewing last weekend and all 3bed are already booked .

Clayfarm has this weekend and I can assure you that if you are not in first 20 people in line you are returning home with no home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

What is also not taken into consideration with this side argument is the ridiculously low point that our higher tax band kicks in. Anyone earning a penny over over 40k gives almost half back on tax this needs to be factored as buying a house is done in after tax monies.

The quicker people cop on to the fact that the only thing keeping prices up is our government, we could tick up supply really quickly using modular builds and tell people on welfare and refugees, there you go that's for you then take away all supports for people buying houses and the price would drop like a stone, but there is too much interference by our government in its supports, in how it threats an individual vs a company when it comes to taxation and in the way that it is the biggest buyer of residential property in the country then in second are big companies that have favorable treatment in taxes to buy the property and the stupidity of government that are then renting these properties from above mentioned businesses at ridiculously high rents for ridiculously long periods of time. Then throw in inheritance tax on property when someone who had a house dies and tries to pass it to their kids the state thinks this asset is open for further taxation when it is passed on even do it has been paid for in after tax monies and a mortgage with interest and then some. The property game in Ireland has been well and truly rigged the state do not want people to own their own place any more and those of you under the age of 30 will struggle to get on the ladder without winning the lotto. The state may not have set out to do this but this is the nett effect of successive Irish governments introducing ridiculously stupid taxation and house buying schemes. Case in point property prices dropped (even with our p1ss poor supply issues) at the start of this year so what did the state allow happen ?? They allowed the upping of the lending rules from 3.5 to 4 and these prices drops reversed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

Of the properties purchased this year, 94% of them were purchased for less than €700k. So those Clay Farm houses at 700k would be in the top 6% of most sought after houses sold this year.

CBI stats say average FTB mortgage is for 80% of the property value. So a person buying a €700k house is taking mortgage of on average €560k (Huge percentage of FTBs get family gifts hence chunky deposits. I believe this to be unfair but most people baulk at that suggestion it should be stopped).

In order to get a 560k mortgage you need a €140k household income. Average income of the 9th decile (likely to be a bit above the 85th percentile but obviously below 90th percentile) of households in Ireland per CSO is €129k. So a household which is ‘only’ in the top c.10-12% of households (c.€140k), can afford to buy all but the top 6% of houses that were sold this year. These are just rough figure but it doesn’t seem crazily out of whack.

The suggestion that only the top 1% of households can afford the ‘undesirable’ houses in clay farm doesn’t stack up.

• Advertisement

CSO does decile averages by household. The average of the decile will be above the midpoint because earnings are skewed but still gives you a good idea. 9th decile average (likely to be roughly top 12/13% of households) =€128k

10th decile average would be massively skewed by huge earners but is €240k.

These figures also include those who are retired and unemployed who are massively overrepresented in the lower percentiles. Excluding those would push the figures above higher.

3+ income households probably skew it a bit higher though too to be fair going the other way.

Post edited by DataDude on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

How is disposable income calculated? Is it after mortgage/rent/bills and other loans?

In other words, the commitments we have to pay each month.

The amount you still owe out after paying ridiculously high taxes and other high costs for essentials in the country. :)

Your figures are for the population as a whole, not for those under 40 - the young buyers in question. Where incomes are much lower.

That notwithstanding, you seem to have missed my point entirely. It wasn't that the Clay Farms houses are unaffordable, its that they're absolutely terrible value for money.

In a functioning housing market a high earner, on either top 1%, or even top 10%, of income should be able to afford to live in a far nicer area than somewhere thats not even one of the top 10 suburbs in South Dublin in terms of amenities.

Kilgobbin/Carrickmines is, despite what realtors may be claiming, not a desirable area in any way compared to most of the coastal areas in South Dublin, and a good chunk of in-land areas like Ranelagh or Clonskeagh on top. Its pretty grim up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Underground

Exactly. €705k / >€4,000 per square metre is grand if we're talking Churchtown, Dalkey, Blackrock. €4,000 per square metre might be good value compared to the absolute insanity that is happening in Cherrywood (€5,700 per square metre for those keeping score) but in real terms you are still paying completely over the odds to live in basically Ballyogan. It's nuts.

Rather bizarrely CSO has households headed by 18-34 year olds as the highest income, shortly followed by 35-49. Both are 20% the overall state average (both average €57k disposable income vs €47k state wide). 50-65 and 65+ pull down the average significantly. I’m surprised by that.

On your second point, I don’t really follow the point you are making unless it’s just a very direct personal dislike of this particular area. I don’t know the area well, The houses look nice. But ultimately the market has determined those houses are among the top 6% most desirable sold in the country this year. I believe the market to be fairly efficient so a significant cohort of people must really like the area (green line Luas mentioned earlier). Anyone buying there could easily choose to buy in coastal SCD (albeit with some tradeoffs I guess). They have decided not.

Personally I would also probably choose to buy coastal, but everyone has different priorities. I don’t believe these particular houses are just wildly overpriced in a terrible area…yet sell out every single time.

To confirm this. The average house price in Blackrock is €735k. This is the highest average postcode in the country. So yes, anyone buying a 4 bed in Clayfarm has the means to live in an (basically) average house anywhere in the country.

Those figures seem wildly optimistic for Dalkey/Blackrock/(Churchtown?). New builds in a small estate in central Greystones were massive oversubscribed at €6,800 per sqm.

Large estates on the outskirts of bray/Greytones routinely make €5,000 per sqm.

New builds in prime SCD are €8k- €10k per sqm. E.g. https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/ard-mhuire-park-dalkey-county-dublin/4680828

€4K in Clay Farm doesn’t look unreasonable in that context.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

New builds in general are overpriced for the (relatively) poor locations they're in, so its difficult to make a comparison.

• Administrators Posts: 53,749 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This is a bad take IMO.

For one this, this is a totally arbitrary statement that holds no real meaning:

In a functioning housing market a high earner, on either top 1%, or even top 10%, of income should be able to afford to live in a far nicer area than somewhere thats not even one of the top 10 suburbs in South Dublin in terms of amenities.

Cities expand outward, not everyone is going to be able to buy in prime locations, irrespective of how much money they make. It doesn't matter if you earned a billion euro a year if there are no houses to buy in the Dalkey's/Killiney's etc.

The area itself is definitely not amazing but it's a million miles from "grim". At worst it could be called sterile. It's inoffensive and quiet.

But, it has the green Luas. You're either ignoring this, or you don't get how huge that is.

Being on the green Luas means the lack of amenities directly around Clay Farm is a total non-issue. You have everything you could possibly ever want a very short tram ride away, and the trams are very frequent. You could be in town 30 mins after leaving your front door. Even less for Ranelagh. Even less again for Dundrum.

You could commute into the office every day, bring the kids to school, do your shopping, go to the cinema, go out for meals, go for drinks, and not have to sit in your car once doing so.

It is really not difficult to see why it's a highly desirable place to buy for some people.

If you're trying to make a point about value for money, there are many, examples that are waaaaaay worse than Clay Farm. The other developments in Carrickmines on the Glenamuck Road for example, they've very little going for them IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Income and wealth both increase with age, so those higher income households are much more likely to be older, and existing homeowners rather than FTB.

As I said before these 600k+ new builds are aimed at mover purchasers than FTBs as you need the existing equity to afford them. Saving a large enough deposit & having a large enough income not only to hit the mortgage multiplier limits 3.5/4.5, but also to afford repayments on top of childcare and other expenses that the bank will stress test against... its not realistic for FTBs even at the higher end of income.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,488 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I would not totally agree with you.when stress tested a lot if couple that are FTB will have no children and if higher earners will find the 10+ deposit achievable. As well they may be likely to receive a gift from parents.

Assuming a 500k mortgage @4X it's a joint income of 125k or 60+K each....or one on 80+k and the other a teacher, Gardai or a nurse 5+ years into there career.

Repayments would be 29-30% of monthly income

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I would love to hear how you think it would be possible to stop family members giving gifts to each other in order to buy homes. Whether you think it is wrong or not doesn’t really matter. How could it be stopped? Would it also prevent family members giving money for medical care or helping family members that experienced some other mishap?

FTBs aren’t generally buying such expensive property as they simply can’t afford them even if they were straight up given the entire deposit. Very unrealistic description of the reality the vast majority live in. Houses in my estate that sell for less than the values you are talking about are not being bought by FTBs. They can’t afford them. They can afford the properties the people sold to buy near me. There is a reason it is called the property ladder.

As for costs by sqm it is really irrelevant as location is a key factor in price above size. Large property is also more expensive to maintain and run. Newer builds are cheaper to heat and a higher standard which is expensive to upgrade an existing older property to. Everything has a price

So lets say its 30% - Do we open up the can of worms that is the fact that the banks will be increasing their rates over the next 24/36 months so someone getting a mortgage now will pay maybe 1/2/3% less than someone buying in 2/3 years time We could be up past 35/40%

So when your going through life what are the necessities

Well this couple will need at least 1 car if not 2 as Ireland's public transport is nothing short of a joke.

They will need to eat- food inflation has rocketed up on a prosomal note an Aldi shop for my lot used to cost 120 Euro a week its up to 200. God forbid i even breath in the likes of dunnes its almost double that of Aldi

They will need to keep warm and use electricity - Currently I am paying almost 3 times more now than what I was paying for my electricity and oil 2 years ago

They will also need to pay for clothes, life insurance, home insurance, motor tax, TV license, Their bins, their dental/doctor/hospital bills/medical insurance all of the above I have outlined also comes with a hefty addition of taxes such as carbon tax, VAT - etc and good forbid you have to use a decent road as your tolled for it not to mention having to pay for parking. So what is the % up to after this and these are the necessities remember all of these are paid out of after money taxes and all have gone up significantly in the last 5 years. so if your TV license is 200 Euro you will have to earn almost 400 Euro to pay it.

What % are we at here with these items that people have to pay. Mayb 80/85%

What are the nice to haves (using that term very very loosely as most people will see these as a necessity).

Then if they decide to have a kid - Creche fees/school fess/uniforms/books/ipads if they have 2 kids it is no longer worth their while both parents working and good luck if you have 3/4 kids your almost better off selling your gaff both giving up work pretending to separate and asking the state to step in with all the freebies. Also you had better hope and pray that one of those kids has not got any issues like autism as there is a 4 year waiting list to be diagnosed so you more than likely have to pay to get a diagnosis quicker otherwise you could phuck your kid up for his/her whole life if left undiagnosed.

Holidays - ???

Xmas - ??

A night out - ??

A take away - ??

Decent broadband/ TV package - ??

A phone - ??

I sh1t you not, after all of this is paid and if the couple in this situation you easily paying out over 100% maybe 110/120% of your wage. Even if you took away the stuff you could theoretically do without xmas, the holiday, nights out and takeaways your still up over 100%.

The country is designed to help those who cant help themselves (which I think is fair), Those who don't want to help themselves (very unfair) and those who are rich (big businesses - sure what can go wrong) while everyone else needs to know their role and keep giving no matter what level of gouging is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

99% of the people who buy where I live are trader uppers. Houses cost anything from €600k to €1M.

The only exception in the last few years being a young couple in their 30s bought a house a few doors down from me this year. Their house cost €625 from the PPR. Dont know what their mortgage is but they seem to have no problem still affording weekends abroad fairly often. The boyfriend works where I used to work and I can say with certainty that he is earning about €80k including bonus. The girl is a garda, but she is saying she is leaving within the next year. She said if she gets pregnant before then she will stay and then leave after her maternity leave, but she is not staying in the gardai. No idea how much she earns but household income is probably well over 100k.

If interest rates increase or stay high it will be because of inflation. These people generally have decent qualifications that will see there wages outpace inflation.

Daughter is a teacher 5 years qualified. She is on 50k plus this year.( 27 years of age) within five year and allowing for 2% wage increases she will be earning 65k or there abouts.

Was out for a hike with the better half stopped in Killaloe and there was a substantial cohort of people ''meeting up'' dropping 25-30/ head on food alone. There was 3-4 groups of young women, a family group and two lads. That was at 3.30 in the afternoon.

A neighbour of ours goes to Galway once a week stays overnight and minds her grandchildren for two days. Her son and his wife are very well of well capable of going on holiday, gaa matches, two decent cars etc.

Just exactly what I pointed out. There is a lot of spending on a thousand euro a week ( 7500-3000) If you have two children you have another 300/ months. Give it 4-5 years and the mortgage has dropped to 20-25% of income.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

• Average weekly earnings were €909.77 in Q2 2023, an increase of 4.3% from €871.93 in Q2 2022.

Wage inflation has will offset some of the interest rate increases also. 4.3% seems very significant

Savings are going up too. The statistics don't seem to match the doom and gloom you read online

Inflation has been dropping and I do see the merits in hiking interest rates.

What data are you looking at for wages outstripping inflation as it has not done so in the last 5 years and this lag will take a good decade for wage to catch back up as trying to ask companies to do it in a short period will see them hit the wall. Do a search in google for "Ireland wages vs inflation over the last decade" and you will see any number of articles and facts and figure backing this up as apposed to your anecdotal evidence and for every person you see out spending 25/30 Euro for food there is a multiple of people pulling back from going out for pints/dinner and it is having a horrible knock on effect of seeing a lot of pubs and restaurants closing due to lack of custom. You have to think of someone under 30 in this country I think i seen a figure 68% of 25 to 29 year olds are still living at home and it makes for some stat when you compare with other EU countries where this % is way way lower. The question has to be asked is why?. Anyone 40/45ish and above has an advantage of being able to get a property when prices where lower and when all other costs of living where much lower than they are today.

BTW is your daughter still living with you?

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023/0815/1399853-ireland-living-at-home/#:~:text=Its%20latest%20figures%20show%20that,%25)%20and%20Sweden%20(6.3%25).

Interestingly the CSO stats don’t seem to show that. 18-39 and 39-50 have the joint highest household incomes on average with a steep drop off then in older years impacted by pensioners. Surprising to me too but those are the stats.

We’re obviously not talking about the majority. I know that. But there are plenty FTBers with big budgets. We had a budget of €1.3m+ as FTBs. All our friend group have bought in the €600k+ region as FTBs in their late 20s/early 30s. Again, not saying it’s the ‘norm’. But they do exist and in decent numbers. They are also heavily concentrated in the south dublin area.

For example, there are 100s, potentially 1000s of accountants churned out by all the accountancy firms each year. Each of them earn c.€65k/70k basic, plus 5–10k bonus at qualification at around 27. Shack two newly qualified accountants up (v common) and you have a €600k+ budget. Significant more at 30 when you’re made director. You really don’t need to be a superstar to achieve that. 400 points in the leaving a 3 years of grunt work and it’s there.

Same goes for lawyers, doctors, actuaries, dentists, tech workers etc.

Whilst these couples are small as a percentage of overall population, 600k+ houses are also small as a percentage of the overall houses for sale, so think you’d be surprised the prevalence of FTBs in that price range.

I don’t think it would be possible without radical reform to societal views on passing generational wealth and therefore inheritance taxes. Just purely an observation that it’s one of the single biggest inequities in housing, if your parents aren’t in a position to help you out. You’re at a significant disadvantage when it comes to house buying. So often people doing the maths on why they can’t afford x/y/z omit the harsh reality that they might be competing with people who have been given a jumpstart. Such is life.

On your last point, not sure what you’re getting at. I don’t disagree, all your points are valid. I was just making the observation that these Clay Farm houses people were discussing are indeed far cheaper per sqm than ‘prime SCD’ because of the location. The people buying them could choose to live in prime SCD if they wanted but would sacrifice on living in such a large house and A rated, which is fine. There was just a comment that people with 700k budgets are not serviced by the housing market because they can’t live in Monkstown. They can.

• Advertisement

The people whose wages outstrip inflation are young professionals into there mid thirties and beyond. Young teachers, nurses, Gardai, staff in banking, accountancy financial, engineering etc will expect there wages to outstrip inflation.

As I said with modest 2%/year pay rises along with increments my daughter wages will rIse by 30ish% over the next five years if she get a promotion it's another 6% nursing is similar.

Daughter dose not live at home. She lives with her BF who has his own house. She may build on a site she has planning sometime in the next three years.

The biggest effect on pubs and restaurants is those that took a complete tax holiday during COVID and are now expected to stump up the back tax for that period. Many of these because they are in company format and leasing have taken the money out and are closing down and reopening elsewhere

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement