Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

While I pretty much agree, is there any names that'll take the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Reckon Kenny will get the boot on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Ferguson came out of nowhere so maybe we get another couple of players like that and maybe nick a couple from England and who knows. Kenny has them playing nicer football but its just shots on target that we struggle with. If we can figure out a way to get the ball to ferguson we might have a chance, Ogbenes pace is really important for us as well, speed makes huge difference, another fast guy like him would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I would agree that Greece was horrendous, and I don't think he could have had a tonne of complaints if he'd gone that night. But that was a very solid performance tonight, in a game where solid was about the extent of what Ireland could be expected to be in a game where there wasn't a single Ireland player better than their French alternative (or even the 2nd string French player).

If we lose narrowly in the Netherlands, do we start seeing that as underachievement aswell?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭McFly85

Kenny will go, but tonight was fine. We did well enough for an hour before running out of steam and chasing shadows against the best team in Europe. Don’t think he got too much wrong.

The continuous slow starts to campaigns is the real issue. There were certainly extenuating circumstances, and he has done a very good job at getting the team overhauled, and he has had his share of bad luck, but there is a lack of progression between campaigns to the point where we feel like we’re starting from scratch each time.

Whoever comes in next I hope can bring the team on further. There’s definitely a decent team there. I hope it’s not another manager happy to say how sh*te we are and we shouldn’t expect to qualify for anything anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Was pretty sure going into this that the French would either repeat or improve on the 4 nil against the Dutch.

Oddly relieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I think people will study this in years to come , how a man like Kenny , with zero charisma or ability to inspire has brainwashed a country’s media and half the fan base into thinking he is the chosen one and the only coach that can make us play great football . With zero evidence to back up his following

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

He'll see out the campaign so they don't need to pay him off.

He shouldn't be judged on tonight but Sunday is definitely a game to see where we are or progressed during the Kenny era - injuries or not.

Has already committed to the England under 21s, and in any case has practically no experience in football that would suggest he’d be a good fit for the job anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Would happily not see Enda Stevens in an Ireland Jersey again. Sounds harsh, but he is past it. He was never the quickest, but he had enough pace to get himself into position as an option to support attacks. That is gone now and it is gone to the point that he cannot defend against a winger that has any bit of pace. The fact a 34 year old McClean is a better option says a lot.

I'm disappointed with the result, but I went into the game expecting we were going to lose. However, it still doesn't ease the frustration of seeing players unwilling to try incisive passes when the rare opportunity presents itself, when we get the ball in a good attacking position and they take the wrong option, or when they get a great chance and aren't clinical enough.

Our squad is MILES off what a lot of people seem to think. Us playing against France is essentially an FA Cup game where a top PL team is hosting a mid-table championship team. We need to acknowledge this - putting aside whether people are pro/anti-Kenny.

And yet come Sunday I'll be in the stadium thinking that somehow, against all logic, we might Just beat the Dutch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Stauntan was a worse manager, he had better players - not sure what the answer is - best to watch the rugby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

1000% -- our midfield are too slow to pick passes forward and cullen always gets caught :( huge spaces to hit outside but not confident enough to hit the long passes wide.. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Light years apart but no shortage of honest effort

It was clear fairly early on he was out of his depth tbh. Yet, here we are three campaigns in and this one almost done as well.

His win % is still below Stauntons..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yeah but who will take the job? And have you negotiated the contract and can you guarantee they will take it? If you can’t answer these questions then obviously Kenny should stay on forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,221 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

If you were to look at the result and say it was only 2-0, when we are where we are, and playing against France away, the current world cup runners-up and the previous world cup winners, you wouldn't be seeing anywhere near the full facts. Mbappe didn’t have a good game at all tonight, some bad misses and decision making.

France were a little unlucky, on another night they could have scored 5 or 6 easily with those chances, and that would have dropped the heads of the Irish players further with each goal. But they hung in there in fairness as the score didn't creep up.

Our only real chance was a poor headed effort by Ogbene, which would have been ruled out for Idah being offside in the initial break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,989 ✭✭✭billyhead

Chris Hughton perhaps. If Eddie Howe or Sean Dyche get the bullet at there clubs either would be a lot better than Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Is it really below Staunton? That's incredible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Give me someone who is attainable as our next manager, give us names while considering where our player pool is, our seeding for the next qualifying campaign, who would want it along with our budget for such an appointment of manger and extended coaching staff.

Give us the alternative for Monday morning.

So basically this then?

Lord forbid anyone who thinks Kenny should go immediately would have someone in mind to take over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Should have been sacked after Luxembourg tbh, I don’t think there is any argument to be had on that at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Howe and Dyche will have better options. Howe has a UCL qualification on his cv now and Dyche will always get a job with a Championship side with hopes of promotion. Wouldn't be suprised if Mick is pressed into action one more time while the FAI wait for Carsley, who is well thought of apparently.

that's mad because I remember a Georgia side playing like 1970s Brazil against us and I also remember Liechtenstein taking points off us at one stage and we had a lot better players then than now.. That France team are gonna walk the Euros next year, no one will touch them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I'm still hoping we beat the Dutch and it's a watershed moment for him, but there is talk now that John Eustace might be getting the sack (very unfairly) at Birmingham. He's done very well with them but the new American owners want a "big" name.

He's been involved, albeit briefly, with the setup before, and may be a realistic option.

Eddie Howe and Sean Dyche would go nowhere near the Ireland job and would cost too much anyway.

I do think we’ll have a small list of replacements because we can’t offer huge wages, and what’s the upside for these managers outside of that? We’re not anywhere near qualifying for a World Cup, so maybe a Euros. No currently employed club manager is going to up sticks for 4 years to manage Ireland.

Maybe an ex player, maybe a retired club manager. But if there was anyone available I think we probably would have heard of them by now.

We can all argue at what point Kenny should have been sacked. For me, the biggest mistake was ever giving him the job in the first place. Absolutely ludicrous that this emperor is getting new clothes to the tune of €550,000 a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

One thing Kenny has gotten away with that really should be brought up more is how little heed he put into the Nations League campaigns (twice), the poor result in both are one of the root causes as to why we keep ending getting drawn in such shite qualifying groups.

• Advertisement

Luxembourg was dreadful, but it was the second game in his first campaign. It’s not realistic to sack anyone at that stage.

With those standards you’d have the FAI in way worse debt than it already is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭CSF

We were third seed and ended up really unlucky with the draw. Think it’s unrealistic to think we should be 2nd seed with this group of players.

In fairness it is him on the pitch that has to do the business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Unless he turns a miracle against the two games with the Dutch, and regardless of whether he goes onto beat Greece and Gibraltar he will be gone once his contract ends and a new manager will be in place in time for the March fixtures.

His win rate has dropped further after tonight and is only marginally higher than Eoin Hand's at this point. Every manager since then has a higher win percentage than Kenny.

I dare to say we've regressed since he took over. Certainly haven't improved. For all the good changing styles and system did to appease the long ball haters, we still continue to play poor unattractive football as seen in the loss to Greece.

F**k knows who we'll get in. It doesn't really matter at this point.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Beginning?! I have been saying this since day one. It’s clear for anyone with eyes to see.

Don’t put words in my mouth. It breaks my heart to see what’s going on here.

However, we paid millions upon millions for bang average managers to set us up not to lose so we could qualify for tournaments just so John Delaney could run up a boozy credit card bill all on the FAI.

Imagine if we took even a fraction of those millions and used it to hire full time coaches in centralized academies instead of using the Premier League academies in the hope of someone coming through or relying on volunteers or part-timers like we are STILL doing now.

Be sarcastic all you want, but we have a mess of an association and our men’s football team are a shambles all because of the narrow-minded vision that we had to qualify for tournaments. What have we got to show for it? F*ck all.

The Delaney era has ruined football in this country. Qualifying for those tournaments only benefitted him and his ego and the rest of us are suffering from it. However it seems some people have their heads in the sand and think it’s just Stephen Kenny’s fault.

Chris Houghton has just qualified Ghana for AFCON next year. He's having success, why would he want to take helm of a poison chalice? Doubt Howe or Dyche would be interested either or that the FAI could afford them. Mr. Tayto would be better than Mr. Kenny. You could rely on him when the chips are down.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Anyone talking about Dyche or Howe are completely deluded.

Christ we’re getting to levels of England fans we used to moan about.

Damien Duff, John O’Shea, Paul McShane. That’s a much more realistic shortlist

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭JPup

It really would be a miracle to get something from the Dutch games. They have a champions league squad and ours is championship level (with a couple of exceptions).

Still hoping for a decent showing on Sunday!

In fairness, most people are realistic... get your sticker collection out for tonight and line them up, line them up against Greece and the Dutch as well...Do we have better players?... Na, I would argue that at the moment we have never been further a drift in class ffs.. You can blame Delaney and the FAI for that... look were Belgium failed and where they are now...

in the past we've got some fine results- holding on for dear life and then pouncing..What do you expect here? Previous managers had a better caliber of player, please correct me if they havent ?

The manager will prob go at the end of the campaign in fairness... what is your solution after that ? who are you getting in ? The next manager is already gonna be better off with a year older Ferguson...so alas it will be made easier there and then..

now this is a laugh - Greece result was totally unacceptable... you are in dreamland son... Get yer sticker book out as well and check them out man for man.. another person living in the past.. jog on..

• Advertisement

The performance moreso than the result against Greece was the killer.

Kenny spent a lot of time in preparation for that game, warm weather camps and tactical preparation so I think hopes were high that we would at least get a draw and maybe win out there.

But we were really outclassed from the first minute.

You can lose away to Greece but not like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Could see someone like Eustace sticking around waiting for a club job if Birmingham give him the sack. Given the start this season for Birmingham another championship team would pick him up mid season.

Chris Wilder unemployed again after his short stint with Watford. Would be worth the FAIs time to ask hey Chris, 550k for a part time gig what do you think. Might still fancy his chances of a club job offer but you're seeing lads with less experience than him getting championship jobs instead.

Dean Smith's stock has fallen in his last two gigs. Probably looking at a Swansea or Stoke level club as his next gig. Worth a shot similar to Wilder in asking does he fancy international management for a few years.

Mark Warburton was coaching at West Ham and left at the end of last season to look at getting back into management. Think his background would make him someone that's suited to international football.

Like few lads floating about that have done League One and Championship management recently in Michael Appleton, Darren Moore, and Leam Richardson. These are the levels of lads we're most likely gonna attract. Getting a Wilder or Smith would probably be a coup for us.

Will more than likely be Chris Houghton. Think he'd walk from Ghana if the FAI offered him the gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

James Furlong could be the answer to the LB problem. Tayo Adarmola still has the potential but badly needs a move out of Palace. Surprised he didn't get a loan move over the summer.

Sam Curtis can play at RB as can Dara O'Shea. They could be makeshift RBs until someone more natural comes along. Perhaps Ebosele can grow into that role but early signs show he should be playing further forward.

CM is the real position we'll struggle to fill. There's very little coming through. Killian Phillips, Joe Hodge and Harry Vaughan will probably all make the step up to senior level at some stage but none of them really possess anything to suggest they'll be no better than what we already have. Perhaps Ferizaj and McManus in time can make the step up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MattressRick

He said his intention was to win the second nations league. But it went tits up.

as you said they are in or around our level but we lost....it was a 50/50 with our squad whether we won the game... THEY were at home also.. Kenny made some tactic mistakes I will admit... but it's not really like Cyprus vs Ireland.. is it ? 5-2 if you remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its also worth pointing out that there were no bum teams back when Eoin Hand was manager so it was harder to manitain a high win percentage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

No u sack because we were dreadful under Kenny in all these game

Dreadful V Luxembourg in one of the worst results in Irish soccer

Dreadful v Armenia in one of the worst results in Irish soccer

Dreadful v Bulgaria home & away, Dreadful v Finland home and away Dreadul v Wales home & away

Totally outplayed dreadful v England away

Dreadful totally outplayed by Serbia at home and by Ukraines B team at home

Dreadful after losing to poor Norway team at home

Dreadful when lucky to draw v Azerbaijan at home

Dreadful when lucky to beat Lithuania Armenia at home. 2 goal collapse v Armenia

Dreadful when lucky to beat Malta away and Dreadful for first 60 mins v Andorra away

Lacklustre average performance v Qatar away

Poor v Scots in second half away.

Dreadful v Greeks away in another loss

4 campaigns 4 failures always out of group after 3 or 4 games

Out of world cup campaign after 3 games out of nations league after 3 games out or Euros group after 3 games Always fighting not to finish last under Kenny.

The team has no belief. Team has no winning mentality. Kenny has introduced losing mentality into Irish soccer. We have gone from actual victories v best teams in world under O Neill to moral victories under Kenny. The only team we beat are at level of North Korea & Mozambique which are Arzebejablin are. Kenny just like at Dunfermline and Shamrock Rovers when he starts losing games it never stops. His Team has no winning mentality and a serious lack of belief. U just have listen to Kenny. He's a terrible communicator he has no presence lacks charisma or any aura whatsoever. He is an intelligent and quirky and eccentric and a lovely man. But he is not good manager. He is one of the worst Irish manager ever if not the worst and has struggled terribly in the job. He is not unlucky. Excuses are to easily made with Kenny. Injuries Covid all managers have to deal with this. His teams form is relegation form just like the form we saw with Dunfermline. When a team is relegated you always here we were unlucky. If you keep losing games and cannot win games your not unlucky. In the league of Ireland in certain jobs like Dundalk and Longford Kenny thrived but bigger jobs especially outside league of Ireland he has failed. He is a poor manager. Results performances back that up. But for some reason there is cult around kenny who cannot accept reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

The four positions where Scotland have their best players. Could only imagine what we'd be like if we had a couple of players like Hickey, Robertson, Gilmour, McGregor, McGinn, McTominay.

If you were to mix their WBs and midfielders with our GK, CBs and Evan Ferguson with Steve Clarke in charge would make for a good team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭Guffy

You must not have watched the MoN or latter Trap years

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement