Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car derived van

• 04-09-2023 10:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi,

Was mulling over what to buy over the last few weeks, had my mind made up on a golf van. Found exactly what I was looking for https://www.rdsautos.com/car-details/?3377146 But it is gone. Any alternatives or suggestions. Looking for a well specd car derived van, ideally with a 2.0 engine. I'm guessing golf vans like the one attached are not easy to come by? So i may be waiting a long time. as I haven't seen anything with this spec, would like high line or similar and a 2.0 engine, find the 1.6tdi fairly dead. Is there any alternatives? I've looked at the focus ,auris, Hyundais , Kia's, and would prefer a golf to any of them.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

I could be wrong here but I don’t think a Golf van was ever available in the spec thats shown in that add, so maybe someone had a regular Golf converted to a van.

Might be something you could look into?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭MeheeHohee

You're probably right the garage did mention it was a special order. Yeah, a conversion may be the easiest way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

I guess you've a business or something that makes a carvan somehow cheaper than a passenger Golf with the seats down/out? If not and you're running privately, factor in the cost/hassle of paying private tax based on the old system engine CC, not CO2, annual CVRT @ €111 a pop, and finding an insurer willing to insure it privately.

If you're actually a commercial set up and need a van, I'd recommend a Caddy over the Golf, more choice and it's actually a van with decent space.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

If you want a decent engine, you are probably best looking at an SUV rather than a Golf/Focus etc.

VW were doing all specifications of Golf as vans at one point, but towards the end of the MK7/7.5 run it was only the 1.6Tdi Trendline. Focus CarVan was just 1.6Tdci LX (or whatever the base model was called that week) and the Auris/Corolla was just 1.4D4d. There wasn't demand for higher spec / more powerful versions, base model would do for the vast majority of purchasers.

There would be a fair few Kuga 2.0Tdci 140hp Vans around, but they are probably getting on a bit. Outlander 2.2 has a bit of pep, but they are proving to be a bit unreliable as they get older / higher mileage. Sportage / Tucson would be mainly 1.7d or 1.6d versions - not a terrible engine as both feel more like a 2 Litre than a 1.6.

Thanks for the replies. I don't need the space of a proper van as I will likely never have much in the back, it will be a van for tax purposes only. Had a look at the Sportage/ tuscons, not gone on either, would prefer a standard golf over either. Don't like the look and find the interior a bit cheap feeling. Have seen the odd r line Tiguan commercial come up and seat ateca 2.0tdi, so might just bide my time until something like that comes up again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Can you go further into the tax purposes? Which taxes are you looking to save on/avoid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

As a sole trader you can buy a van and write it off as a business expense, which you can’t do with a car.

As a director of a company you get much lower BIK on a van compared to a car.

You can also claim the VAT back on a van if VAT registered.

Could be one of those.

Yeah that's it, self employed contractor.

8% BIK on Van and VAT rebait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

No BIK for sole traders / self employed.

VAT reclaim will make a fairly big difference though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sebadaly

We’ve several CDVs at work. Couple of the lads had Golfs and they weren’t great. The best ones have been the i30 vans.

Mine has been great. Best car I’ve driven. Had had plenty of cars privately and this is easily the best, most reliable car. Rear bottom space is decent enough for what we do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement