Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2023 Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭MiniMonstera

I meant to add that I wore my decathlon shorts with the built in numerous pockets. They were grand but when packed with two full water bottles (and all the other stuff) there was a bit of rub on my lower back that caused intense itching - not painful but very distracting. This week I'll wear one or both waters at the front. Any and all carrying tips welcome. I may still use the decathlon running belt and will certainly practice it on a long run (I stretched it out a bit by straddling it on two legs of a dining chair - as I couldn't bear how tight it was on me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I'm not 100% sure what I want to do regarding belts and carrying stuff either.

Here is what I need to carry:

• 6 gels
    • My phone (can possible get away without this as I could use my watch for music, but my wife likes the reassurance of garmin live track)
    • pre mixed electrolytes (high5 zero tab)

And then the following are things I would like to bring

• Small tub of vaseline - I've found this useful to have on longer runs if something starts chaffing that I wasn't expecting (although I often don't notice it til after the run)
    • Plasters/Nipple guards - again if something goes wrong, These are small so aren't an issue bringing.
    • Some form of snack (jellies probably)
    • Probably a electrolyte tab to mix more electrolytes.

The belt I linked to earlier from amazon is still probably the front runner, but despite being quite bulky it can only carry ~400ml of liquid, while one soft flask bottle can carry 500ml. It probably doesn't have room for 6 gels either. I have carried all of the above with 4 gels with it on long runs, so I'll probably be able to carry the other gels in a pocket or something. I have been thinking about attaching them to my hat somehow either :D

A friend lent me their old belt that has gel holders on the strap, but the pouch isn't big enough for my phone.

While the belt with the bottles attached to it doesn't carry as much as a soft flask, I do find it them much more convenient to get and put back, sometimes I find putting the soft flask back into the shorts pouch a little awkward.

Can you return the belt and get a larger one @MiniMonstera ? If your already finding it uncomfortable I can only imagine how it will feel 4 hours in! I think one thing to bare in mind too if its just water you are carrying, that the water stops are fairly often on the actual day, so you probably don't need to bring two bottles, one will probably get you between the stops. Doesn't really help for the Long runs now though, especially while its warm!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MECA

I use a brand of belt called the Spibelt. Got it on Amazon ~25eu. I was ‘influenced’ but it was a great buy. Really comfy, doesn’t move, has loops for gels, fine size pocket for phone and other bits. Mine doesn’t have a water holder .. I’m relying on water they supply on the day .. but they might have a version that does.

Also the under armour speed pocket shorts are good … loads of pockets. Haven’t chafed (yet!!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I have used a Flipbelt for every marathon so far with the exception of Dublin last year when I used the Decathlon one as changed strategy and didn’t use gels. Anyway, I’d always have my phone in the flipbelt, possibly 7 gels, electrolyte tablets etc. A good tip there is to cut them in half and put them into those little clear buttons bags that come attached to new clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I have the Decathlon shorts with pockets but I find some of the materials irritating. I have since found a great pair Mizuno Multi Pocket shorts. I find them great and don't really need a belt with them. Good offer here on Zalando. I have 2 pairs with built in shorts and 1 without. I have a good few belts and packs and found a great RFID bum bag from Mountain Warehouse to be great for extra gels and keys (I can see a picture of it on their site but the link does not work). I also use 10l trail running bag from Decathlon for LSRs, Its handy if I want to carry a drink bladder and it also has a good few pockets for gels and stuff at the front. Finally I find the underwear from Runderwear to be the best so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

You'll need a 10kg bag!! Personally I find extra weight to be particularly annoying and it gets increasingly so as the miles go on....

6 gels...bring in belt

Phone...leave at home

Music...no way, listen and take in the support on the course.

Jellies...you will be handed loads from kind Dubliners lining the roads

Pre mixed drinks...no, bring the tablets in little plastic button bags and drop them in the water station bottles.

Vaseline, nipple guards...no need. Lash on the Body Glide before you start and you shouldn't have a problem..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You are carrying a lot. I assume this is for the marathon itself rather than a training run?

Can your wife meet you half way?

What I carry with me is 2 gel packs and 2 McDonalds salt sachets. At half way point the support team gives me 2 bananas which are eaten immediately and another 2 or 3 gel packs replacing the ones that were used earlier. Never bother with the phone. There is tracking available from the organisers where people can see your progress every 10k.

Re nipple guards - you should be ok unless you normally have issues. Generally if I wear a tried and tested t shirt on race day I have no problems.

I would recommend carry as little as possible

Post edited by Pawwed Rig on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

+1 to this 👆️ I had typed a similar reply @witnessmenow . Another option is to have someone out on the course with those extra bits. You won't need them but it's nice to know they are there in case. Your wife can track you on the race tracker. You 100% don't need music on marathon day! If any of ye go down that route you will be missing out on so much!! And on that note, I don't know if it's been mentioned here already but if you can, get your name printed on whatever t-shirt/singlet you're wearing on race day!!

A backpack, now that's a good idea! Ah it's not that bad 😅, probably about 1.5kg at a guess

Re music, my plan is to see how it goes without but I definitely want to have the option of music as a distraction if it's needed. I'm not sure I can trust my own thoughts 4 hours into a marathon

Re jellies, I don't have an issue taking something from someone other than the "nothing new on race day" advise. Maybe if we could just standardize the jellies that these kind strangers are handing out I could practice trying them 😅

Re water/tabs, I like to drink a small bit regularly so if I used the on course water with tabs I'd still be carrying it with me, except in my hand rather than in my belt and out of my way.

Body glide doesn't seem to work for me, or at least when it comes to nipple chaffing anyways. Even on runs as short as 13k it has spectacularly failed me. So I'm using nipple guards for the last few weeks and so far it's working. I won't have ran for 4-5 hours with them so not fully sure if they'll last the distance, but a spare set of these are tiny so no issues bringing them

The Vaseline could be surplus to requirements alright, I don't expect to have anywhere chaffing on the day but again I'll have never ran for 4 or 5 hours. The tub is the little lip balm style one, so not exactly huge.

Yeah this is for the race itself

Yeah my wife is planning to attend alright and had similar thoughts, but logistically it might be difficult. Neither of us know Dublin super well or exactly what to expect for navigating around as a spectator. She'll also have our two kids with her, one who is not the best with the toilets so I think it might be stressful for her to be in a certain place at a certain time. There are a couple of other people who are planning to attend so they might be options either!

I'll be over an hour between 10ks, my wife seems quite worried about the horror stories of people collapsing or whatever so it would be peace of mind for her. Also makes it easier to know exactly when I'm going to be passing

I must just have sensitive ones so as I haven't found a top that I don't have an issue with over 10k, it's definitely a problem for me. As mentioned above the nipple guards are working well though.

Yeah it does seem a lot, I am a worrier by nature so I guess I just need to strike a balance of bringing what will keep my mind at ease that I'm prepared for whatever comes up and what is physically comfortable for me to carry! Like losing 500g of weight of water is all well and good, but the benifits may be out weighed by the negative of not feeling fully prepared.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Just on headphones - I think you will miss out on a lot in Dublin wearing them. One of the best things about Dublin is the crowds. You will be amazed how much a noisy crowd helps get you around. I wouldn't be tuning that out.

Most of the stranger jellies are haribo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

For the men here anyway another option is cut off a small square of Kinesio tape for the nipples, works aswell as anything else I have tried - a little waxing afterwards then too on removal 🙄

I agree with a few comments above - Less is best for carrying. The fact that DCM still has bottles should be taken advantage off by just carrying your electrolyte tablet as opposed to full drink IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭MiniMonstera

Thanks everyone for all the tips.😀

Can I ask, why is there a need to bring zero tabs? I'm taking 1 to 2 of these per day for some time now so I feel I'll be well "electolyted" for the day itself. Is it necessary to take these during the race? The thoughts of carrying tabs and disolving them at water stations doesn't appeal to me at all. Would ensuring my water bottles were a zero tab mix suffice?

I don't like the idea of a jacket or any restriction on the upper body, the bra is bad enough. And can we all just agree absolute yuck to the term 'water bladder', I shudder very time. 😂😂😂

@witnessmenow I may size up on the belt. My husband's is a size 2 and he said his stretched a bit so I'm hoping that will work. I have a lot of belly fat in the area and loose skin from 4 babies that gets easily irritated, plus a thrice opened c-section scar that can also get irritated with rubbing or pressure, so the belt situation is my biggest challenge at the moment. That said, last Saturday was grand, aside from the initial intense back itching. I carried 6 gels, my phone, key fob, 12 jellies, 2 x 250ml water, tissues. I hear you on the phone @skyblue46 buy I'm bringing mine. I'd bring it over water! I need to know I can immediately contact husb if anything goes wrong I definitely wont be doing music but can understand why some would want / need it, I really use music / pods to ease boredom on solo runs and I think the marathon will be anything but.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I'd fully agree here with previous advice that less is better on the day but I can understand it's nerve wrecking planning your 1st marathon. All I carried for my 1st & those after was my gels, electrolyte tabs to pop in the bottles of water supplied & a 20euro note (this was just incase) Luckily I have never needed to use it🤣 As someone who loves her earphones I can defo say you don't need them at all for the marathon! The people supporting, the people running, the music blaring along the course it's all brilliant & you will defo want to soak that all up! I'd also vouch for getting your name on your top, it's amazing hearing people call your name especially when you need a pick me up!

Well done to all on your training so far! This is the tough, tiring part so keep going & keep your goal in mind, you are almost there😉😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭TheRef

I'll share what I done last year (boards novice) and what my plan is for this based upon what I learned.

I wore a Flipbelt (zipped version for extra security) and in it I had 7 gels, a phone, and a bunch of zero tabs split in half, wrapped in tin foil. I didn't carry any water. The belt felt like it had a lot in it, but it was never uncomfortable and I never thought about it. There was also plenty of room so I could have fit in more gear if I needed. (btw: I love the Flipbelt because I use it when travelling or if I am just out and about without pockets for my phone/wallet)

I also wore Shokz earphones so I could absorb the atmosphere but also put on some background music if I wanted it. I used BodyGlide and Vaseline.

One problem was the zero tabs. Mixing them in the bottle on the go was a real pain and I think I gave up after a couple. It was too fidgety to unwrap and open a bottle without spilling it.

I had another problem in that once I got past Roebuck, I was gasping for water, but all they had was cups of Lucozade Sport. I struggled to get it into me because it just felt syrupy and too sweet, which I guess was from the accumulated gels taken before. By the time I got to the next water station I had a bad stitch and not feeling good. The other minor issue was that I missed the first water station as I intended to sip water at every one.

This year, I will still wear the same belt with 7 gels and bring the phone. However, I will definitely leave the headphones at home. The only time I found them handy was receiving a call from my wife telling me where she was waiting for me. I wondered as well if by wearing earphones, other runners would be less inclined to chat to you as they may think you're listing to something and won't hear them. It really is the constant encouragement we give each other that will really help on the day. Oh, and I don't know how many times I seen people drop an earbud in a race and stopping to pick it up, causing others to jump out of the way.

I also started using SaltStick Fastchews as they can be taken without water. Plan is to use these instead of tabs. I've also switched to using nipple protectors this year and will use them on the day itself, as well as BodyGlide and Vaseline (for different parts of the body).

I know some will think they will need to bring "stuff" just in case, but you almost certainly won't need them. I remember fretting at last years Dublin half when I saw a guy with a large tub of vaseline and I remembered I forgot mine. I didn't know what I was going to do, but in the end, it made no difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

I also agree with Lainey and Lambay above, less is better, it's just more comfortable. I carried 6 gels and some chews in a Decathlon belt. My comfort blanket items were some tissue, a couple of heart burn tablets and I had a small handkerchief. I didn't carry any water, phone or electrolyte tabs. There was plenty of water on the course which could be carried which was brilliant and much easier to handle than the cups. The decalthon belt works well for me but my wife doesn't like hers and is trying out a few other options.

Not sure if this one was mentioned before but you can quite a few gels in these shorts and spread them around front, back and side easily for even distribution if folk don't fancy a belt. I just carry gels and few chews too. Had the electrolyte tab as a spare incase I missed my bottle handover from my other half on route.

https://www.decathlon.ie/men-s-clothes/307931-87782-men-s-trail-running-tight-shorts-emboss.html#/demodelsize-340uk_41quote_slash_eu_2xl/demodelcolor-8552369

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Louis 2018

Interesting to read all the posts about carrying water, gels etc and would definitely agree that less is better. FWIW I purchased one of the belts from Decathlon (link below) and find it really good. I have used it for long runs with 3/4 gels and 2 soft flasks (250ml also purchased in Decathlon). When I first bought the belt I tried it out on my shorter runs to get used to it and to be honest I barely notice that it is on me. Intention will be to carry gels, zero tabs and water on the day of the marathon, no phone, ear pods, keys or anything else just gels, water and a few electrolyte tabs. If you use this approach for LSR over next few weeks you would be fine on marathon day. Will also be good practice on day of Dublin half marathon.

As mentioned already I will also use each water station to stay fuelled and have the flasks in reserve between stations when the big miles hit.

Personally not a fan of the shorts that have numerous pockets as like to keep my legs light as possible but understand it works for some.

https://www.decathlon.ie/walking-flasks-and-flask-carrying/333176-94126-hydration-flask-carrying-running-belt-black.html#/demodelsize-1201/demodelcolor-8645720

The Ref Mentioned above

"I had another problem in that once I got past Roebuck, I was gasping for water, but all they had was cups of Lucozade Sport. I struggled to get it into me because it just felt syrupy and too sweet, which I guess was from the accumulated gels taken before. By the time I got to the next water station I had a bad stitch and not feeling good. "

I'm not sure if this has been noted by the organisers for this year but the last 2 editions of DCM they seemed to run out of water at this station. It may not be any harm to hold onto your bottle from previous water station or alternatively if you have family/friends support, they could be stationed around here. Roebuck Road is quiet for supporters until you reach the crest of the hill at Fosters where there is huge support(but more chance of missing handover).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

I took a hydration pack for DCM in 2019 and it was overkill. Keep it as light as possible. Running belts or shorts with pockets will have more than enough space for the essentials. You can leave your phone with the bag you check in at the start. Security is really good at DCM so there is nobody going through your bag etc. The finish line in addition to the medal/t-shirt funnel is really not the place for photos or phone calls as people are coming in behind all the time. Keep moving and get to your bag to get in contact with loved ones and to have a stranger snap a photo of you with your medal.

For your final long runs, plan your route with some shops along the route. If you need water, pop in and grab a bottle as needed. Don't worry about the drop off in pace. This will happen during DCM too as the water stops tend to be busy. Plenty of time left between now and race day to adjust and fine tune your race day prep.

I agree 100% with what has been said on earphones. Soak up the amostphere. The crowd are incedible. Give them a wave, thumdups, high five etc. Talk to the other runners too, particularly in the latter stages when things may be getting tough. Encourage them too. Especially those who are dressed up in novelty gear (Scuba guy in 2019 and army guy in 2022 are two of my favourites) who will likely be suffering more than anyone else to raise funds/awareness for charities.

The official live tracker is more than sufficient for family/friends tracking you. They can have notifications on their phone ping when you pass a timing mat. Being out of reach of your phone for 3-5 hours is not too much to ask. Focus on running, not on having your phone with you.

Any tips for the lsr in the heat? 🥵 Heading out in about 2 hours (couldn’t get any earlier cos of school 🥹). Absolutely dreading it!!! 😫😫.

• Advertisement

Suncream, a hat, plenty of water and slow slow slow. If you can do loops back to your house for water stops to save you carrying it that will help. It is going to be tough 😬

I am on a rest day and still in bed if that makes you feel better 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

can you move it to Sunday? Isn't the temp supposed to drop after tomorrow? Ordinarily I would say run it in any weather as you could get that on race day but it's unlikely to be this hot for DCM (although it can be unseasonably warm sometimes) Otherwise as PP said, slow slow slow and bring electrolytes with you. Take lots of walk breaks too.

Much more water than you would normally use! I went out for 13k this morning at around 7:30 and drank 400ml of electrolyte while out on my run (this would normally last me til half distances) , drank the rest of the 350ml of electrolyte when I got home, plus 750ml of water and a 500ml protein shake.

Definitely sun cream and I find a hat works well for me too (but I actually wear a hat in all conditions for sweat reasons, it's also handy in the rain)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Really interesting read about what people are planning on carrying on the day as well as those who have done it already and what they brought.

Luckily I don't run with music unless I'm completely on my own. One of the things I like about the group long runs are the chats. Even in races I don't wear earphones, it's nice to pass a comment or two to people around you and gives you a little boost.

I do run with my phone and bring it with me on the long runs in my flip belt. It's mostly because no one else seems to bring a phone and in case of emergency, a lot of our running is out country roads and rural areas. I have run races without the phone and it's nice to get a break from it, an hour or two of freedom! I had planned on doing the marathon with my phone on me though, but now I'm not so sure. My flip belt is starting to feel full lately on my long runs with the phone, car key, 3x gels and few jelly babies. To be honest if I could run without the phone it would free up a bit of room and weight

Other than that - on the day I'm planning having a couple of zero tabs in a little pouch, perhaps 5 gels (I've run 20 miles to date on 3 gels), a lip balm and carrying water in a small hand held water bottle (I use it on my runs, switching between hands).

• Subscribers Posts: 693 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Sun cream yes, but be careful putting regular sun cream on your forehead out running, that stuff will run into your eyes and sting like a mf... better off covering your forehead with a hat.

Wear a singlet if you have one, they are the best in that weather!

I'm a bit conflicted on the pace of LSRs and get various answers from sites I visit. Some ask times from last races and some for actual time of the marathon itself, and even then there are conflicting answers. My current PBs are (just in case needed) 5k 22:50, 10k 48.13, 10 mile 1:25:13, HM 1:54:51, 30k 2:46:27. These are all from last year, I doubt I will be able to match them again (age).

Can I get a guide on what pace I should run them at if I want to run the marathon in 4hrs 30m? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭kd82

Getting lots of tips from the above on gels, what to carry etc. Thanks a lot. I've found the flipbelt brilliant for runs but it's getting heavy now with all the marathon gels and water/phone on long runs. I won't bring phone/water on the day but still find the gels and belt bobbing too much, especially if it's wet. I've been trying these shorts on the latest long runs which have two tight mesh pockets that will take 4 gels each. Might be worth trying for some https://ie.sportsdirect.com/adidas-saturday-mens-half-run-tights-452600#colcode=45260003 I haven't fully decided on the approach but thinking I'll go without belt and use these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Agree with the others. Don't be like this guy. 😉

I know where am going to visit at lunchtime now 🤣. But I doubt I'll have the guts to wear them..

Edit: They only had medium, so no good, I think pockets were ok. I have a pair similar from Decathlon at home, might give them a try tomorrow.

Post edited by T-Bird on

• Advertisement

Did the lsr.. 18m.. absolute horrible. Not sure if maybe im just rundown or if it was the heat. No problem with water.. I had loads planted around. Had 2 gels and some clif bloks. But oh my god the fatigue and pain in my leg muscles was awful from around 11miles. Stopped and walked a couple of times. Have already done a 19 and a 17 and didn’t have this until much later. I’d no electrolytes though (until after)… are they the magic bullets for this I wonder 🤔. Confidence is gone now … I couldn’t have gone 8 more steps not to mind 8 more miles..

Good luck to anyone on the lsr this weekend… don’t be me. 🙌

Advertisement