Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: Ahsoka [Disney+]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Accurate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

No

• Registered Users Posts: 33,693 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It is slower than I'd have liked, but even from the bit under the headline you can tell the author of piece has a general disdain for the show from the off regardless. It's more clickbait than a genuine review I'd say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The article does suggest some heavy bias reaching for notoriety... and referencing George Lucas shows they haven't been paying attention to who actually runs Star Wars these days ... but I think Ashoka feels a little too close to Secret Invasion as a point of comparison: a very bland underwhelming experience that betrays a certain sloppiness or mediocrity that has infested a previously energised franchise.

Andor showed what the franchise could be in the right hands, and so far Ahsoka just feels more like a slightly warmed up, less cackhanded version of Boba Fett - and one that has made tepid attempts to address the fact a lot of its audience would have come to this without having watched Rebels. It's 50/50 I'll keep watching this thing, cos so far I'm feeling like yeah-but-so-what about it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

Did they fail at making Ashoka feel like the character from the cartoons? It really feels like it’s just Rosario Dawson in bad make up and prosthetics.

It's always going to be a tough ask to replicate animated characters personalities and looks in live action. The only way to really do it right is to plan ahead and cast voice actors who are professional screen actors, model the character's looks after them and then if the opportunity arrives, cast them in the live action version, like Katee Sackhoff's Bo Katan, Clancy Brown's Ryder Azadi etc. In saying that, Sabine is a pretty faithful recreation.

It's difficult with Ahsoka because of Ashley Eckstein, and Hera because of Vanessa Marshall. They're half the reason why those characters are so beloved. Thrawn remains to be seen, but Rebels Thrawn is a different beast and nowhere near the level of Tim Zahn's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

whats the difference between the 2 Thrawn' in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,638 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm hopeful they get Thrawn right as Filoni said he brought in Zahn to be part of the creative team to help adapt Thrawn for live action.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Very good so far, much better than Obi one or Bobba Fett, episode 4 was excellent. Very good casting for the baddies and it definitely feels like Star Wars. Its not as good as Mandelorian or Andor but its still better than most things on Disney, looking forward to episode 5

Thrawn in the books is not a villain per se for one. He's also very considerate in action, he's not one to be cruel for the sake of it. His whole reason for being with the Empire is to have an ally for the Chiss against the Grysk.

I'll be very interested if they touch any of that stuff with his character

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 3 down and .... ehhhhhhh. Thinking I might just pull the plug here. There's too much unsaid and linked to the cartoons to make it enjoyable; little comments here and there that expect a viewer to just get it. But fundamentally? I'm just bored. So very bored by it all, not helped by the stakes effectively centring around people we've not met.

Rosario Dawson is a fine actor, but utterly wasted playing yet another monotone Jedi; the training scenes lacking any crackle; the space battle was rote and linear; the space Jedi stuff probably sounded better on paper; and the pacing was generally really dragged out - that feeling a shots going on a second or 2 too long. The final shot the camera slowwwwly zooming towards Ray Stevenson looking ... annoyed? Frustrated? It's such a limp way to end an episode that wants me to keep watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Loving Ray Stevenson's role in this. Such an interesting character that hopefully gets fleshed out a little bit more as the show goes on. Its a shame hes not around for anything in the future. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,323 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

He's the one highlight (and frankly probably the only reason I bothered with this), but I fear there may be little else to be gleaned from his character. That stoic gravitas, for want of a better term, is probably as much as we'll get.

This is a poor show. Boba Fett/Mandalorian bad ? Perhaps not, but still.

Someone with knowledge of the cartoons might answer this for me: what little I thought I knew of Ahsoka was that she was more emotive, more rebellious a Jedi than your usual cohort of self-serious types. Whereas Dawson seems to be playing the same, monotone & utter charisma vacuum Jedi that they usually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,323 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

She's extremely bland and restrained, and more damning to the show overall, uninteresting...................but at least she's not terrible like Bordizzo

Some will probably say it's essentially a different character due to time and experience etc, but it's not being sold at all well.

More a failure of writing than Dawson IMO. She's a fine actress.

I did think she showed a bit more emotion/intensity in the second half of episode 4, maybe that might be her characters arc that she is holding back emotion, a bit of a akin skywalker, because 8 episodes of her with her arms crossed talking shite doesn’t work for me…

Also I think Baylan is a sociopath trying to dress himself up as something more noble with his contradictory pontifications.

Must be a big episode ? Are we finally going to get some sex scenes ? Dark Vader break dancing ? Jar Jar cameo ?

Has to be the live action debut of Thrawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Ashoka in rebels is a lot different to clone wars since it's almost 20 years after, only big emotional hit from her is sensing that anakin is alive and about to kill them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Something big enough for a cinema screen sounds cool. Thrawn maybe.. but maybe the stuff/ships he has with him or whatever

.. else is over in the new Galaxy

Was that Hayden Christensen best acting performance in Star Wars ? I thought he was very good in that episode.

• Advertisement

And that AI de-aging and de-voicing is why they are all out on strike now.

I completely forgot about how the space whales can travel. When Ahsoka flew into the mouth and said the whales were going to bring them there, I figured since the baddies went by hyperspace to another galaxy, Ahsoka would be travelling for about a million years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I fucking hate that space whales bullshit. 🙄

He's much better than the scripts in the prequels showed. I was a bit disappointed with the episode, wanted a deeper conversation between Ashoka and Anakin. It's been frustrating that there's been no interaction of substance between Ashoka and any of the Skywalkers or Obi Wan.

I think the show is the best live action Jedi oriented content they've produced under Disney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

Given the hype I'd seen throughout the day I was expecting a little more personal conversation between Anakin and Ahsoka, but what we got was... fine, I suppose. We got to see some live action Clone Wars, at least. Well, more like "The Volume" Wars. I thought last weeks episode was way better.

Do you think Hera has told us that she's a General enough, yet? Hera was my favourite character in Rebels (even though I find most of the others very hard to like, she was genuinely great), but I'm not seeing the same character here. No disrespect to Mary Elizabeth Winstead, she's a decent actor, but I'm not sure she's a good fit for Hera.

Was it the real Anakin speaking to her/teaching her through the Force, or was it all just in Ahsoka's mind? I saw something last week about how the place Ahsoka was in was previously featured in the cartoon. Would have liked some sort of explanation of what it is.

But yeah, full credit to Hayden Christensen. I thought he gave a great performance, as he did in the Obi-Wan show. Always felt he was unfairly maligned due to the writing in the prequel movies. I don't know if anyone could have made some of those lines work, and ultimately he was doing as directed.

Anakin: I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.

Sounds more like something George Costanza would say, not Darth Vader.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

5: Well. That was some cool nods to Clone Wars and Rebels. Very Filoni too.

Especially the space whales... Purrgils isit? Be good to see some wolves again.

Young Ahsoka felt young though not as nimble... though it was old Ahsoka in her head I guess. Mandalore felt the closest. Was kinda half imagining that Ashley Eckstein might have dubbed the voice.

Right so. Next episode.

The new Galaxy.

Lets. Be. Having. Ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

I actually like this show and it is much better than Obi-Wan or Book of Boba Fett. Not on the level of Andor but it's very decent and well balanced as a show for people of all ages. I felt BOBF and Obi-Wan leaned way too much into the kiddy cartoony stuff. Unfortunately I also felt Mandalorian S3 heavily went this way as well.

Ep5 was a real banger with some amazing visuals, and Hayden Christienson gets vindicated fairly well. He is a perfectly capable actor, George Lucas is just a terrible director of actors, even award winning actors like Jackson and Portman stunk up the prequels, but Hayden got unfairly singled out.

Rosario Dawson is a good actress, great even, and I'm glad they allowed some personality to bleed through in Ep5. Obviously a creative decision in earlier episodes to have her as this stoic, strong, minimalistic type, but I wasn't entirely convinced that it works.

Overall a good show though.

Advertisement