Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The fixed rate part of the flogas deal was very clear and posters here seemed happy so I assume everyone understood that, it’s only €50 to leave anyway if the rate drop by massive amounts

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Yea we can read when signing up and don't need a FB posting to point out the obvious... With Dumbo Martin blabbing that there's electricity handouts in the pipeline, that's all for now folks, there's no more price drops😡

Another bill for the taxpayer...

So with the exception of some lucky BG renewal customers the Flogas deal is still the best out there @ 29.99c, I'm happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The fixed rate was the attraction, it's widely reported that any price drops will be modest, so locking in a rate for a year gives stability. They could actually go up before the year is up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭John arse

Yeah the flogas rate being fixed was an attraction initially - it might put me off now?,(There's talk of it reappearing apparently!).

Why would it put you off? It's still the best 24hr rate out there for new customers and a brilliant night rate on the D/N plan, I can't see any more decreases being announced before the October budget, the energy companies will be laughing if credit is handed out again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

The flogas non fixed standard rate is something like 62 cent.

It has a long way to go to get to 29!

Because I think the other rates will go cheaper-simples. Could be wrong I know!

If rates drop below 30c by enough of a margin to cover the 50 euro fee just move, simples…

Obviously nobody in their right mind would sign up to that rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Nothing close to the Flogas 29.99c offer as far as I can see. Unfortunately I missed out on that and with Waterpower not taking on new customers until the end of September, the best 24hr rates out there I think are :

SSE airtricity 38.6c /kwh with standing charge €240.97

Flogas 37.99c/kwh with standing charge €302.92

All above including VAT.

With my usage SSE Airtricity is cheaper overall so I'm going with them.

If anyone knows of a better deal feel free to enlighten me !

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭lotas

My numbers show that Energia are at 37c inc VAT (that's with the 20% discount in October and on a smart meter).

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

Why not wait until the end of the month and go with Waterpower (or Flogas of it makes a return once more)? It'll cost you a little in September, but it's surely better than signing up for these rates for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Flogas still have a fixed plan available to all for 37.99c 24hr, 39.85c day and 19.31c night. Standing charges are €302.92 24hr and €396.89 nightsaver

That compares favourably to what I am paying with Airtricity on unit rates 41.88c/25.98c but I'm only paying €310 standing charge so not much point moving until I'm out of contract

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Have you managed to actually getting €30 out of a supplier? I've had issues with both EI & Airtricity in the past I did get the €30 from EI but nothing from Airtricity. Getting it out of EI wasn't exactly straight forward either.

Over to you BGE ya laggards.

SSE Airtricity latest energy firm to cut prices (rte.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

My intention was to go with Waterpower who, a few weeks ago, said they weren't taking on customers until the middle of September but that has now changed to the end of September ! Impossible to say if the Flogas offers will appear again.

Hard to know what to do but I'm paying 45.78 c/kwh with Bord Gais now that my discounted contract has ended. Very annoying that BG are offering big discounts to retain some customers, and not to others one of whom is me !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

BG only offering us 15% off standard gas and electricity to stay with them.

I'm really confused by all of the prices out there, clearly not as savvy as others on the thread. Contract is up in less than 2 weeks and I'd love to get a new contract sorted by then, at a good rate.

Airtricity has announced a 12% discount today: SSE Airtricity announces up to 12% price decrease for customers in ROI

The current standard rate is 48.24 inc VAT. if I have the math correct, take 12% off that and it brings it down to 42.45... then take 20% off that and it's just shy of 34... that's inc vat. There's no mention on the site of the new rate though...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭con747

Keep an eye on your account for better rates being offered, some are getting up to 40% so check daily.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

In December 2021 their 24hr rate was 23c/kWh. Today that same 24 hour rate is 42c/kWh. A 12% discount puts it at 33.6c/kWh in a months time so it is really an increase of 46%

Interesting how all our suppliers seem to be dropping prices on the exact same date, November 1st, and most raised their prices in the past on the same date. Is this a symptom of competition in our market or a lack thereof?

12% is more generous than the rest to be completely fair though

Is VAT 9 or 13.5 on Electric? I got 31c ex vat and 34 inc vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Buffman

Annoyingly the media are lapping it up, heard the EI drop described as 'slashed' prices by one. No, 10% off a rip off price is still a rip off lads. And only effective from November, 2 months away as opposed to increases which only get 1 months notice.

Ah FB, the reason the decent Flogas deals got pulled! That FB poster must be a real sleuth to rival Columbo to discover such a well hidden fact that was literally plastered all over their offer.

What makes you think it wouldn't be fixed from increases? That's litterally the definition of fixed rate and was a major plus for me.

Apart from a few lucky BGE renewals, the others still have a long way to go before even coming close to the 29c. And as I've said plenty of times here before, if someone does beat it significantly enough to warrant a switch, the €50 termination fee will be €50 well spent. I jumped shipped with days left on a contract to ensure I got the 29c rate and the €50 was saved back on the first bill.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

my current contract on EI is about 28c. the renewal on that is going to be 36... (both ex vat). Looks like if I move to SSE, my contract is up on the 18 Oct, I will have 13 days at the rate of 35c and then it drops to 31... Plus, I get 2% back from my bank... currently, by my calculations, it will be around 44 quid per month extra, but if I get 2% cash back, that's another 17 back... still more than last year, but better than some...

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭DavidJC

So there are two things happening. Standard prices falling and discounts increasing.

For example with SSE Airtricity, they announced this morning they are reducing their prices by approx 10% next month.

But earlier in the week they announced their discount is increasing to 20% (So effectively 30% off the previously very bad rate)

There is a lot happening this week where companies are all reacting to each other and lots of pressure (Albeit very late) politically. I would let the dust settle so we have a clear picture of rates. Bord Gais are yet to release anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Buffman

18th Oct is still a good bit away, lots can still change, there's no rush and presumably you wont' be moving until 19th October? Personally if I was in that position, I'd hold off on any decision for now and hope Waterpower are true to their word and start taking new business soon.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

This. No point jumping on one company when not all of the energy companies have shown their hand yet. Only when there is full information can anyone make a fully informed choice.

Definitely not the time to be moving unless you're being moved on to a horrible rate, try and sit it out for a few weeks until the dust settles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm stuck on a 30 day 24hr tariff until my smart meter is up and running, and the clock doesn't start til next week when the install happens, so by the time my time comes to choose it'll be October 16th or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I have a 36.6c day rate with Energia and the 8.1c EV 2-5am rate. I didn't do anything special (starting next month)

Advertisement