Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,518 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Play offs and qualification?

No, they were great years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Wouldn't go near Chris Hughton... Ghana have qualified for Afcon, but is there any manager that wouldn't qualify a team of that quality for Afcon out of that group? He's also made hard enough work of it, against a selection of teams miles below their level.

They've got lads like Kudus, Inaki Williams, Tariq Lamptey, Amartey, the Ayew's, Salisu etc, but he has them getting draws against the likes of Madagascar, Central African Republic, and Angola - each of whom are ranked 50+ places below Ghana.

(Not to mention he's just a demonstrably poor manager, who the modern game has simply passed by).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭chicorytip

It was not a bad performance tonight in the sense of being unacceptable considering the calibre of the opposition. In the first half we squandered a couple of very promosing opportunities when breaking forward from midfield by dint of having no wide players joining in the attack to exploit the generous amount of space the French left on both flanks. Browne and Ogbene should both have been bombing forward at every opportunity but remained mostly rooted in defensive positions, maybe on the manager's instructions. Also, the Ogbene chance near the end was a dreadful miss by him. Are there no decent headers of a football left in the game anymore? Should have buried it lad !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

am loving all this dreadful stuff, listen I would say everyone knows the craic... but I dont think yer dialled in anymore lad.. yer in dreamland.. tbf when you jumped from O'Neill to Kenny, I actually stopped reading..

To say this team has no belief is a joke.. they are doing the best they can.. look the squad, what do you want them to do.. Klopp or Pep couldnt do better.. well maybe in one game, the, Greece game - maybe...but they had still a better team on paper and we played them in Greece..

Listen, the next manager will have a better squad instantly, with Ferguson..thank foook... but I wont blame Kenny too much...i've seen worse with better players, so meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Cyprus 5 Ireland 2, wasn't that enjoyable either.

If McClean is still playing at 34 in league 2, why not give Jack Byrne a chance? at least he has a bit of creativity which none of our other midfielders have. Seeing as Kenny came from League of Ireland, I find it strange that he hasn't played anyone from the league?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭CSF

League is muck relative to the leagues that produce the Irish international footballers unfortunately. McClean the only one playing in a similar level league I think.

He played well when he played for Ireland before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

The fact is team has no winning mentality Look at them they have no belief whatsoever. They don't know how to win games lack any sort of belief. The fact is under Kenny 5 wins in 25 competitive games 29% winning ratio is relegation form. Kennys Ireland has losing mentality there's no killer instinct. O Neill did have winning mentality. Yes O Neill started slowly but ended poorly but in the middle had some greatest results in Irish soccer history. Under ONeill we beat Germany Italy Austria Wales Bosnia and drew with Germany England Denmark Sweden and Wales. Under Kenny we beat Arzebejablin Andorra Armenia Malta Luxembourg and Lithuania and sometimes we lose to Armenia Luxembourg. O Neill is probaly one of the most successful managers if not the most successful manager to come from island of Ireland in last 50 years. At difference stages of his career he was in running for 3 biggest jobs in English football eg England job, Man Utd job and Liverpool job.) Kenny wouldn't get job managing Faroe Islands after the Irish job. Another thing Under O Neill Mccarthy etc we were defensively solid. With so many good defenders under Kenny we are shakey at the back. The amount of goals we let in from outside box is down to bad defensive set up. Teams are targeting this. People might criticise O Neill for being not great modern tactician. But neitheir is Kenny. He cannot make good decisions during game time and he is poor tactical manager. This is elite soccer and Kenny is not elite manager. O Neill is criticised for being successful and and for others they believe Kenny shouldn't get much blame for being uunsuccessful. If kenny wasn't homegrown Dublin manager from the Republic he would be gone long long time ago. Its pretty obvious team has no belief no winning mentality that is a fact. 5 wins in 25 competitive games proves that. Kenny is completely out his depth and is terrible manager at this level. Results and yes Dreadul performances back that up. Why I used the word dreadul so much because there has been so many dreadful performances. People ignore the awful results performances and football under Kenny. With exception of Scotland game and one or two odd performances the football v Luxembourg Armenia Lithuania Malta Azerbaijan Bulgaria Wales England France Ukraine H Serbia H Andorra A Finland Wales Norway has being very very poor.

Regards Next manager having better squad, firstly the team will have better manager from the get go. You could give Kenny another 4 Campaigns and we still would be fighting to finish last. Kenny at this level just like Dunfermline turns teams into relegation fodder standard. Kenny has a future managing Sligo rovers or Waterford Utd or Athlone Town. He can do a job at that level. But he struggles outside league of Ireland teams that is a fact. Yes the manager is a big massive issue, out of his depth completely.

Post edited by Sonny678 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,221 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Hey! Sligo Rovers wouldn't want that millstone Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

S Kenny 4 year Record as Irish manager

35 games in charge 10 wins 10 draws 15 loses

38 goals conceded

Only 5 competitive wins from 25 games

Kenny only 5 competitive wins are v Arzebejablin Gibraltar Luxembourg Armenia Scotland

Worst winning ratio of last 7 Irish managers Kennys winning ratio is 29%

Came 3rd in 4 team Nations league group made up of Scotland Ukraine Armenia with 3 loses & 1 draw

Came 3rd in 4 team Nations league group made up of Wales Finland Bulgaria with 3 loses 3 draws 0 wins

3rd in world cup qualifiers suffered 3 loses

Currently second from bottom in Euro group with 3 Loses

Two issues that are incredibly worrying trend under SK

Since 2021 Ireland have conceded 27 goals, 11 of the goals have been outside the box

&

Under kenny 6 of the last 11 goals Ireland have conceded in competitive games have come in the first 5 mins of the 2nd half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Dafuq does the England managers salary have to do with Kennys??

Like bringing up Googles CEO salary when discussing minimum wage.

Kenny would have been happy on 100k and if he wasn't the doors that way. The team can lose every game with no manager.

I've been a big defender of his tenure but it's done, it's dead, it's over. Let's move on, get duff in. He literally cannot do worse and he probably do it for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Augme

I have to say I'm struggling to see the significance of the goals conceded outside the box stat. I mean, are fans meant to be happier that the second goal was conceded inside the box? "Oh thank god that goal was scored inside the box, that's a huge relief."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Thought it was a decent performance from a very limited squad.

Don't really care about who comes in as next manager, results won't change dramatically anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Let's move on, get duff in

No,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no.

The first mistake was thinking a LoI/underage manager was good enough to be senior manager, that mistake was made in 2002 with Kerry.

The next mistake was repeating the first mistake by hiring Kenny.

Don't make the same mistake for a third time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

At this stage of his career Duff ain't touching the job. He'll be looking at a club job in the UK.

Also Duff walked away from his Ireland coaching job because of the FAI and was said it took a bit to convince him to take the job in the first place because of his opinions of the FAI.

There's no other option. A caretaker manager on a very modest salary and I mean modest by PAYE standards, not international football standards is the only option.

Then a complete restructure from bottom up, ploughing every cent into cultivating home grown talent/academy and league.

In 10 years time we'll be reaping the benefits.

Bringing in someone bang average but on big money to cobble together the current talent pool making them slightly harder to beat is not the right course of action.

SKs reign has been horrific but I've also zero interest in scraping into an ever increasing pool of qualifiers only to be abused at the groups stages and go home a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭McFly85

Whoever is in charge should be on maximum the same as Kenny is now.

Priority needs to be reform and modernisation of youth structures. Instead of hoping we get a decent batch through now and again that might qualify will leave us nowhere.

If we end up chucking a few million at a mercenary we will have obviously learned nothing from the John Delaney era.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

I'd go for someone like Neil Lennon if we could temp him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭ebbsy

That Greece result over there was a real pity when you look at the group now.

Whoever gets second will not have to do a lot of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

The guy whose name you annoyingly spell wrong has probably the best CV out of all those you mentioned.

All things considered Hughton might not be a bad appointment.

Houghton is the guy who put the ball in the English net in 1988.

• Advertisement

The MON years were better than the Trap years although with both of them the latter time of their tenures went flat, but there was qualification and/or play offs with both. Maybe you weren’t watching despite asking exactly that of someone else?

Duff 🤣🤣 what has he ever done?

Be careful what you wish for, who is to say A Duff managed team wouldn't have lost 5 nil last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

All as a result of paying a sh*t load of money to bang average managers to setup not to lose and to give us f*ck all to show for it, leading to the sh*t show we have now.

The fact people can’t see what those eras have done to football in this country genuinely astounds me. It must be great being so blind.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Neil Lennon came 2nd in a one horse race. He’s a shocking manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

The first half have performance was good I thought. Idah and Ogbene played well.

There were a couple of times when we could have taken a chance and tried to get a cross in or test the keeper but instead took the conservative option and passed the ball backwards.

France didn't press us but it was probably riskier asking Molumby and Cullen to try receive and keep the ball than if we'd just gone at them.

I wasn't expecting anything out of the game but a couple of things did annoy me.

1) Another goal conceded from outside the box.

2) Another goal conceded just after half time.

3) Kenny not knowing or just lying about where we would stand in the group if beat the Netherlands on Sunday. 

Expectations have been lowered during the Kenny reign and whoever replaces him will benefit from that but we can do better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭CSF

A Duff managed team hasn’t been even 2 goals down at any stage in a game this season. But I agree, keep Duff where he is.

I’m trying to figure out how is the qualification and/or play offs from the MON, Trap, Mick McCarthy and Jack eras to blame for the current state of Irish football. There was nothing to stop the FAI and other controllers of football in Ireland developing youth structures and the domestic league while at the same time employing someone to take care of the senior men’s team. It didn’t have to be one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

The bigger picture is the most depressing thing to be honest. The game in general in this country is 25 - 0 behind France not 2 nil .

Im a league of Ireland fan and still in 2023 half the grounds in the league are absolute dumps . There is always stories of good work going on at youth level and yea maybe there is in comparison to 15 years ago but it’s still third world stuff in comparison to even rugby and GAA nevermind football in other countries.

The Will isn’t there at government or corporate level to have a football industry so we will be forever scraping together a few decent players from every generation and hoping .

We can talk for ages but the only thing that pushes academies , clubs and grassroots on is money and absolutely **** loads of it .

Businesses want to be associated with success and glory and that’s why all the money is going into GAA and Rugby . It’s depressing but I can’t see it changing anytime soon . We can’t even get a sponsor for the jersey

• Advertisement

We’re in the position we are now because of criminal mismanagement of the association at an executive level. Losing millions upon millions on a ridiculous ticket scheme and setting football back decades, while still spending money on themselves like they were running a Fortune 500 company.

Trap, Mick and MON were there to paper over the cracks, qualify at all costs at huge expense to the FAI to deflect from the actual state of the organisation.

We got to 2 tournaments, one where we ended up having the joint worst ever performance at the time and the other because we were able to get a playoff by finishing third, even though we were seeded second.

Looking at qualification as the goal in every group without developing our youth structure in an increasingly competitive football landscape makes no sense. The amount of players playing regularly at the top level has been falling steadily over the last 15 years.

Kennys reign has brought some structure back, a young base of players with international experience and a link to the u21s that had been long gone prior. Next guy who comes in will have a better starting point than Kenny had.

But I don’t expect us to do much better that we’re doing now if we don’t do anything at a youth level, whoever comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

Expect for the fact that every player that has worked with him has praised his man management? Yes hes not great with the media but i for one couldnt care less what a manager is like in the press.

Lennon could do a job for a couple of years. Would get the team motivated and put a structure on them. He had success at Celtic in Scotland and in Europe and with Hibs although his final year at Celtic disintegrated badly with what appeared to be problems with personal issues. He went to Cyprus and won the national cup there after that though. His record in management overall would be a significant upgrade on Stephen Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

Agree, and lets be honest we probably arent that attractive an opportunity at the moment so need to cut our cloth, get someone like lennon in, as you said, bit of structure...he has experience of managing at a higher level, give him 2 full campaigns and see whats available then after that if results and performances are still poor...or we do something typically FAI crazy and appoint someone like phil neville

It does seem like an opportunity was lost in that Delaney era to develop and fund the game domestically and at grassroots level. I don’t see the point in blaming that on managers and teams of the past though.

There is more kids playing soccer than any other sports in Ireland. At government level we’re told there is a surplus in the exchequer. The government are controlling the FAI now so maybe there’s an opportunity to target significant funding to soccer’s grassroots development and that funding is used properly.

Kenny - Managed in European football groups stages, won multiple leagues and cups - Unqualified, should never have gotten the job.

Duff- 2 years managing in the LOI, give him the job............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

He’s a qualified Barista as well you’re forgetting

It’s funny watching the poster Faugheen above look down his nose and scoff at the suggestion of Lennon. I’m not sure the FAI could afford him or anyone else with the CV in management that he has right now.

He might be interested in it as a way to redeem his reputation after the way it ended at Celtic? It wouldn’t be the money currently offered that would attract him to the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

When you have CMs who cant pass 3 yards you are in trouble. Idah simply not up to this standard either. Not showing any drive to get stuck in

The lequipe ratings were actually kind to us. Most getting a 4, ogbene got 6 which was deserved. Idah got 3 which was kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Hes played at the highest level. DAFUQ has Kenny done??

A cardboard cutout could do the job at this stage. There's zero passion/guile/fear whatever you want to call it.

The players are poor but that's not the issue. Cheap is my main thoughts right now, a cheap as chips manager, who might command a bit if respect as an ex player of a very high level.

But only if the reroute of cash goes into structural change around academies etc. Otherwise its pi$$ing against the wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭ebbsy

When you look at how poor the rest of the group is bar France, and for USA 2026 only the top team qualifies automatically.........

It is a bit depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

They aren't blaming the managers personally. They referred to the Trap and MON eras. Which were a huge cost to the FAI. They chose to spend money on them as opposed to getting structures in place within Irish football as a whole.

You're delusional. The Greek performance showed the players could give two fcuks about Kenny. The performance was shocking, barely interested.

That's exactly what a great man manager as you're claiming he is, gets from mediocre players. He got nothing from them. Zero.

It's not rocket science at the end of the day. Getting the players to actually play for you regardless of their talent is the hard part of the job.

Two things do that, respect and fear. It's brutally obvious the players have neither for SK.

Stauntons playing career was pretty good as well, over 100 Irish caps I think, played at a couple of world cups. How did he turn out as Irish manager?

If the players didn’t respect Kenny he would have been gone long ago.

We have a limited group that clearly try for him, and he’s limited as well.

But the idea of getting someone in because they played in the PL, regardless of their actual managerial experience is laughable.

I get that but I think they could have done both at the time. MON and Trap’s salary was largely paid for by Denis O’Brien IIRC. They could have got investment into the domestic and underage game at the same time but they neglected that side of things.

A different scale obviously but look at the Limerick hurling success. That was targeted funding from years ago with a plan and investment from JP McManus. O’Brien is broke now I think but investors like Dermot Desmond and others would put money into soccer in Ireland if there was good ideas and plans to invest in.

Delaney and his pals didn’t dwell much on the future it appears.

Yeah let's just leave SK in charge indefinitely so. Much less of a joke.

Kenny has been slated, hasnt done a great job but yes any random name would do a better job including a cardboard cut out.....

And what has playing at the highest level anything to do with being a good manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yeah, it is all about the framing. Kenny was talked up as bringing Ireland the new direction, playing football the 'right way', it will take time we were told, but look at yesterday if a MON, Trap or Mick II team did what Ireland did yesterday they would still be slated. Even accounting for the strength of the opposition.

But at best a Stephen Kenny game is met with a shrug of shoulders or talk of a process.

I just think back to the initial Kenny hype - people actually called it 'Kennyball' which to me was side to side, easy to play against for any team. Buglaria - Finland etc had to be some of the worst. The nations league performances have been awful which is where you think Kenny could build the team, and build confidence. But the opposite has happened.

Then is slightly changed but not enough in my opinion, there was no closing down of opponents which lead to constant shots from distance being conceded, passing was still too slow and safe. Any goal or nearly win was talked up as 'turning the corner' for example the Portugal game where Ireland narrowly lost. I have never seen an Irish manager given so many corners as Kenny has! The road is really winding at this stage.

The whole thing was madness from start to finish, Kenny wanting to play football through the middle without a midfielder technical enough to do it. In reality the midfield should have been bypassed as that is the weakest area of Ireland's side.

The focus should be getting the ball as quickly as possible to fast players, technical Irish players good enough just don't exist. So it should be pace power, energy, unsettling the opponents. Focusing on set pieces, the likes of Duffy, Collins, Egan etc

But we have had to suffer this Kenny dreamland stuff, where the impression given to me was if I 'believed' enough like the younger Irish fans/or those that brought into the 'in Kenny we trust' narrative. It would come through.

I noticed on this thread that the fervent supporters of Kenny - have switched to blaming the FAI!

But the FAI is not to blame for a football manager not setting his team up to do the basics.

In other words a manager who does not play to their strengths - he does the opposite! Are the FAI responsible for a team being really passive and not closing down opponents?

It is the young/dreamland fanbase that caused this in my opinion as it was the main reason Kenny was picked - plus he was was cheap.

Then the last bit of scrapping the barrell is the narrative that the 'players are with Kenny' of course they are with Kenny. There is zero expectation and they are being picked. One of the handiest numbers in sport - in my opinion.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement