Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭blackcard

Some of the permutations for the final round of the Senior Club Championshiip

Group A. Comer are gong to be in the Regulation Playoffs. They can tie with Ballyhale if Comer against GB win and Ballyhale lose against JS. BH would then be in the Regulation Playoffs. As Comer's head to head match with BH was a draw, it comes down to points difference. Currently BH are -3, Comer are -22 so it would take an overall swing of 19 points for Comer to overtake BH and come fifth

• If Ballyhale draw with JS and GB lose to Comer, both would be on 4 points. As BH beat GB in their head to head, BH would go into the first round of the championship in fourth place, GB would go into the Regulation Playoff/First Round of the Championship as the fifth place team

*. If Ballyhale win against James Stephens, BB lose against Glenmore and GB draw against Comer, then BB, BH, GB and JS would all be on 5 points. In that case it comes down to points difference. Currently BB are +13, JS are +9, BH are -3 and GB are - 5. Glenmore would be in the League Final, the team with the best points difference amongst those on 5 points after the final round goes into the Shield Final, the next two go into the first round of the Championship and the team with the worst points difference goes into the Relegation Playoff/First round of the Championship as the fifth place team.

• If GB lose to Comer and BH beat JS, GB go into the Regulation Playoff as the fifth place team. BH and JS would be tied on five points. If also BB win or draw their last match against Glenmore, that would mean that BH would come third, JS would come fourth, BB would be in the league final or Shield Final depending on whether they draw their last match
    • You can also have a scenario where BB, BH and JS all end up on five points. BH would have to beat JS by more than six points to jump above them.. BB would have to lose their last match by 4 more points than JS lose their last match to drop below JS. BH would have to win their last match and BB lose their last match by a combination of 16 points for BH to overtake BB
    • if GB draw their last match and JS lose to BH, JS would have to lose by 14 points or more for GB to overtake them
    • If BB and JS win their last matches, they will both be on 7 points. As the head to head was a draw, it would come down to points difference. JS would have to win with a 5 point greater winning margin than BB.

***** This is subject to the new rule brought in by Congress last year. The new rule states that if three or more teams are level on points, the points difference is only to include those matches involving the teams on level points. Previously, all matched played counted in determining points difference. Counties don't have to apply the new rule if they have the old rules in their bye-laws or regulations. I have looked at The Kilkenny Bye-laws and don't see anything so I presume that the new rule applies. In that case for example if BH, BB and JS all end up on 5 points, the points difference is calculated on the head to head games between these three teams. JS drew with BB, BB beat BH by 7 so the points difference before the last match between is BB +7, JS 0, BH -7 so BH would have to beat JS by 15 or more points to overtake BB. if they beat JS by 14, it would come down to the most points scored in head to head matches involving the three teams

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭hogans heroes

The bridge havent full filled their potential

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Where can you see the KK bye laws?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Edit: double post

See attached. The Bye-laws make no reference to rules regarding competition so it is my understanding then that the new rule brought in by Congress last year and included in Part 1 of the GAA Official Guide, Page 96, came into effect as of March this year

• Advertisement

Actually, reading the official rules, I think I have got it wrong. In the case of BB, BH and JS all ending on 5 points, the first determining point is the number of League points obtained in the head to head matches so that would be 3 league points to BB, 2 to BH and 1 to JS. Apologies for confusion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Village87

Do Kilkenny use the old or new format regarding 3 team’s finishing on the same points ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭dzer2

Unless it was motioned and voted in the new one won't be used

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Neewollah

The new one apparently as of last week. Think they forgot about the change from congress. I wouldn't be in favour of the change as I believe results against other teams in the group should be considered also.

The new rule applies unless a county has it in their bye-laws to use the old system. As per the Kilkenny People today also, the new rule is in place

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

Brian Dowling announced as Kildare manager tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭hogans heroes

Good luck to brian dowling did a great job with the camogie,

What is the issue with Freshford and Windgap about a Junior F semi final ? Freshford are down as winners

The permutations in Group B Senior are fairly straightforward. I presume that OLG will beat Danesfort to leave them on 8 points. That will give OLG a bye in the first round of the Championship. Tullaroan would then have to beat Dicksboro by 6 points to overtake them for second place

Clara v Mullinavat to decide who goes into the Relegation Playoffs. In the case of a draw, Clara avoid Relegation Playoffs

Danesfort usually take a scalp along the way. Would not surprise me if they beat OLG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Boro would take top spot with a win or draw v Tullaroan as they'd finish on the full 10 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Tom Kenny stand out performance for the Boro again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭kksaints

Glenmore won by 6 points in a sweltering Inistioge earlier. Both teams had spells of dominance but Glenmore did more with them compared to Bennettsbridge who were too wasteful in the first half. No programme but 11 and 14 for Glenmore were very good. 12 for Bennettsbridge played in the halfback line and won a lot of ball, could have been David Blanchfield but I'm not 100% sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭forchange

My god Luke Scanlon will you wake up

the village have not played any good team

played shamrocks today the short 8 of last years team and they could not win Scanlon not good enough years ago only Brian Cody he would never seeing senior panel

it’s amazing you never mentioned John Walsh he scores 1-10 or the goal machine from the Boro gaffney

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭conor05

Adrian & Paddy Mullen didn’t play for Shamrocks either.

A remarkable result for Ballyhale when you think of how many junior hurlers they had playing,

Great depth. And they often aren't great underage but how they develop their players.

You’d sometimes find Ballyhale Under 13 and under 15 team competing in Ronan C competitions with only panels of 15 lads.

I remember an interview with Mick Fennelly (Colin & Michaels Dad) and he said a huge emphasis is put on developing hurlers in Ballyhale between the age 17 and 21.

They had big numbers a few years ago but it seems to have dropped off again, they relied on brothers in family’s like Reid’s, Fenellys, Shefflins and now the Mullens and Corcorans.

Family sizes not as big anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Anybody know how many of the missing Shamrocks players will definitely be unavailable for the rest of the club championship? If they get back most of the 8/9 currently unavailable they're unlikely to be stopped.

How's Danny Glennon going and how did John Walsh perform this weekend?

Tullaroan looked less mobile than Dicksboro. Tommy Walsh particularly looked in trouble trying to keep up with the opposition forwards. Tom Kenny did well as a spare man in the Boro defence but not to be judged on this match as Tullaroan left him unmarked and were well below their form to date.

Danesfort need to pull that predicted "surprise" out of the hat yet!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

KK Camogie gonna have some massive changes with Dowling gone and I'm fairly sure Denise Gaule will be gone from the panel this year too.

Completely new start for them.

As far as I know:

Brian Cody, Joey Holden, Colin Fennelly, Ronan Corcoran, Joey Cuddihy are out of the country and will not be back to play.

Darren Mullen is injured and will not be available.

is James Meagher released from Prison yet ? Another loss from last year

I attended one Tullogher/Rosbercon games this year v Freshford, he was well marshalled that day but he was constantly fouled off the ball with little protection from referee or umpires. Better off to judge these Junior players come championship as the league seems to have little relevance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Jimmy Meagher, coach with Shamrocks, has been on the sideline with the team for most, if not all, of the league matches.

Just heard on local radio that Colin Fennelly is back home and Joey Holden is expected back also.

I think you need to judge players in all their club matches, League and Championship. No point in turning it on for one or two matches and go missing for the rest. We're looking for consistency, stamina and committment.

Post edited by Grats on

• Advertisement

Brian Cody expected back too but Ronan Corcoran and Joey Cuddihy definitely gone.

Jimmy Meagher only done a few months in jail, I’ve seen him at matches.

Advertisement