Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities around the world that are reducing car access

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is there paid parking there? i.e. i'm curious whether some cars are parked by people driving to work, and parking there for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'm not sure but I'd assume it's just people parking their own cars outside

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've heard of certain places near the city which are noticeably more parked with cars at weekends when paid parking does not apply; people driving into the city and not wanting to pay for a multistorey or on street-parking.

however, there's a girl in a school uniform in that photo, so not taken at the weekend!

i was curious as to whether those houses always had the gardens out the front (i used to live in a house where the residents were given some of the street to create a little front garden), but it seems those ones did - at least they did when the 25" map was created.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Interesting thread on how improvements in pedestrian speed in Helsinki lead to an increase in public transport usage...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Looks like we're finally going to get something done about cars in the city centre. Although if it actually happens or not is debatable, it is DCC afterall.

As i had suggested before bus gates at Aston and Bachelors are proposed, painfully obvious as they are.

Other measures to tackle Pearse, Tara and Customs house, Parliament St to go Pedestrian. A good start if implemented.

https://irishcycle.com/2023/09/06/radical-shake-up-of-city-centre-streets-to-remove-cars-from-quays-at-oconnell-bridge/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

A fairly standard article in the independent the other day about the road deaths in Ireland, and the car culture that's endemic in Ireland, and man, the replies underneath are something else. Don't actually know Geraldine Herbert's work at all, but she has the patience of several saints.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Irony of ironies.

The Garda car in the photo is parked on the footpath and in a bus lane.

He is checking speed when the cars are obviously unable to do any speed. They are too close together to be speeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Too close together to be speeding? Are you joking?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Depends on the speed limit. Those vehicles look like they are going about 50 km/h.

Edit: Only stupid or blind drivers would speed coming up to that speed trap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

These seem largely like old plans from the Liffey Cycle Route days. However, maybe if this time they present it as "transport improvement" rather than something for cycling, it'll cause slightly less foaming at the mouth by the motorist lobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I think mouth froth has become a less potent deterrent in the past 2 or 3 years. But no doubt our car sponsored overlords in the IT and RTE will tell us this is a 'car ban' or a 'road closure' instead of a scheme to improve walking cycling and bus travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

Are there more details available on the Dublin city centre traffic plans? The Journal has a piece on it and mentions stopping northbound traffic on Westland Row from turning left onto Pearse.

It doesn't say where that traffic would go exactly, but it mentions making Pearse Street two-way. I'm guessing traffic would go East to Macken Street and cross the Samuel Beckett...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Nothing yet, that proposal hasn't been published yet.

The Becket Bridge is mental at most times during the day.

They need to allow east bound traffic to turn left onto the bridge on the north quays. They also need to remove the toll on the Frank Clarke Bridge (East Link) to take pressure off the Samuel Becket Bridge, and remove the roundabout on the north exit from the toll bridge by using a one way scheme via Sheriff St and East Wall Road.

By such a scheme, a lot of Pearse St traffic would divert through the more eastern routes.

Most of the traffic flow in that area appears to be designed around getting as much traffic across the toll bridge as they could, and to hell with those stuck in the resulting snarl up.

Surely, DCC cannot be that stupid.

A quick Google showed the revenue from the bridge was €4.2m in 2014. Not a small amount of money, but given the annual budget of DCC is over one billion, it's not *that* much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭p_haugh

There is plans to remove the roundabout at the point. There was a public consultation on it at the end of 2022, but no further update on it yet.

I am aware there was a proposal for sorting that out, but it did not include removing the toll, and it never happened anyway. It needs the toll removed to be effective for traffic flow in that area. Removing the various traffic directions that send traffic across the toll bridge instead of the SBB would not be necessary if there was no toll.

There was a proposal to remove the Merrion Gates, but it was tied up with a cycling proposal that killed it. It never happened. Story of our approach to infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Usually removing a roundabout makes traffic worse. That one only backups when it's utterly overloaded, otherwise moves well. Signal will make it backup all the time, even off peak. Lot of heavy good traffic there with the port etc.

Poor (dangerous) for cycling and pedestrians as is though. That needs changing. Really need a different bridge.

• Advertisement

Removing a roundabout and replacing it with traffic lights does not really work unless the traffic pattern is very one sided.

I think putting a one way system in, where traffic coming off the bridge northbound turns left, and head along the quays until it turns right up to Sherrif St, and onto East Wall Rd. The particular right turn needs to be investigated as to which one might be best. East bound traffic along the quays would divert to Sherrif St and then wherever. Of course the Luas would be affected.

Now there are probably much better solutions but something needs to be done and removing the toll should be centre of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

The glacial pace of building a new bridge in that area is ridiculous. There are loose plans for 4 (or 5?) new bridges to the east of SBB, but none of them progressing meaningfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

A ring of bridges like that would be an attractive amenity too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,993 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Remove all cycling proposals now.

And no, I'm not being ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

You get more ridiculous as time goes on. Get back on your meds.🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Ignore function is great (until someone quotes the clown comments)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I work near the Eastlink and it's busy all the time, with a huge number with trucks that I believe are mostly just going from one part of the port to another. I'm not sure how removing the toll would help anything. It's a nightmare for walking and cycling (as is the roundabout) - when it was built there would have been virtually no cyclists or pedestrians there because there was nothing in that part of the city but the port. The footpath (which cyclists are encouraged to dismount and use) is barely wide enough for 2 people to pass. The council really needs to get a move on with the active travel bridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Did someone actually get punished for parking on a cycle lane? 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It should be noted that of those proposed bridges, none are intended for general traffic so anyone thinking currently proposed bridges will help traffic flows is in for a let down.

The southern port access bridge would help traffic a bit by removing Port-bound HGVs from the Eastlink. The Dodder mouth bridge will carry buses so maybe some people will switch to buses. The other bridges are for pedestrians/cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭p_haugh

The dodder mouth bridge will also have a two-way cycle track on it

Advertisement