Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Swatch X Blancpain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Be interested to see will you be able to do this without having to queue. If its like the omega homage then swatch have the marketing prowess of Barnum himself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's only select boutiques. The nearest ones to where I'm going are Düsseldorf, Brussels and Amsterdam. Unlikely I will go to any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Fitz II

https://www.facebook.com/100064261030377/videos/681566740492930/

Thinking might get one in a good quality christmas cracker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I only managed to read the first few paragraphs of that hodinkee article before having to close it out. Absolute cringy upselling shite.

Best not to rotate that bezel so 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Obviously they did their homework and know this is going to make the money, but for me it cheapens the brand. It would turn me off a swatch group brand knowing any other model will be next. People will be wearing plastic seamasters next year.

I'll go as far as to say it has already cheapened all watch brands in the Swatch group to me. Obviously all grossly overpriced for what you get. In particular Omega. Insanity to pay list price on any of Omega now. The complete opposite of Rolex.

Looks like I might be going to Amsterdam on Monday after all 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I said the same with the moonswatch that it cheapens the real deal.It’s great for money making but has to do damage to the brand status for some people.Theres a reason you’ll never see Rolex doing a collaboration with a cheap brand despite how hyped it would be if they did.Swatch are looking at money signs only .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

Lolled hard.

I wouldn’t spend a 10er on one personally. To each yer own etc.

Plastic shitter.

Ah you're no fun. It's only a bit of craic, buy one and you will easily sell for more than you paid (so a free watch), and like the last time it will bring new blood into the hobby, which isn't a bad thing, or is it?

I think its going to be hard get overs on a fake Blaincpain. Cant get overs on a real one. The moonswatch was the last greater fool in the watch game, the market is ice cold at the moment.

I agree the watch market is stale, same as many other markets out there now. But I'd be near certain that if you picked one of these up within the next week, you could sell within days on eBay, even adverts, for at least a couple hundred profit. Lot of people will want them on their insta 🙄

Edit: just did a search on adverts for blancpain, zero results. Let's try that again exactly a week from now 😁

Oh and I feel the price is pretty fair. Last time you got a plastic quartz for €250, at least now you got a plastic automatic from a far more prestigious brand for €400. It's better value!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well they'll get far more flipper interest than the real deal, cos fashion hype, which is outside the watch market. The daft price of 400+ quid isn't so daft for that market and it's a lot less than the buy in that was in play in the watch market itself.

It'll raise Blancpain's profile to muggles, but they're a weird brand. You'll get no end of watchnutz praising them to the high heavens, but bugger all seem to buy them and a "brave" fair play choice for those who do. History wise it's basically the Fifty Fathoms* and the 80/90's complication dress watches, when dress watches were the Big Thing. Until they weren't.

*notable mention to the Air Command, by far the best looking watch in their range IMHO, mainly because it's a near mm copy of the original, only 10 times the build quality.

1) if these sell over list then that would mean I would need to que to buy and I value my time more than the wait in the que.

2) I don’t think this will bring new blood to the “hobby”.

3) If it did, I am not sure it’s a good thing. By their in store only strategy they are purposely trying to build hype which only raises prices and attracts the wrong attention.

Its a plastic shitter. But agree that it’s a better value proposition than the Omega swatch which was/is a cheap looking and feeling monstrosity. But a plastic shitter none the less. Maybe I will change my mind if/when I handle one.

Purely pedantic point as no ones gona test it (or care) but I'd like to see that case pull 9 bar in my pressure tester without blowing the glass out or farting up a stream of bubbles.

Plastic shitter it most likely is, we'll agree on that 😂

I have no intention to queue for one and I am going to a place very near a sales point anyway, so I'll have a gander and if handy, I'll pick one up. So no queuing, no paying over list for me. Rather the opposite, I expect I'd be bored with it rather quickly, will as usual then put it up for sale. For more than I paid for it. So zero waste of my time or money here. As yourself, I value my time too 😉

The last "collab" brought a load of people into the watch world, maybe less so now as Blancpain is far less known outside WIS circles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Not going to lie, when the drum and bass kicked in I thought it was the sound of winding the watch for 2-3 seconds 😀

My thoughts on these are the same as the moon swatches, look better in press shots than they do in the hand and feel cannot be conveyed through nice press shots.

Its not about the watch, its about the hype. People want to buy into the hype and then appear to be real smart fellows when they make 100 euro profit. The watch itself is almost irrelevant and by the look of it swatch know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

also a fair point on the hype, they've tapped into hype culture that's seen in sneakers etc. and it's working in terms of making money at expense of what these brands were known for.

You’re being too kind to it . There’s no value proposition in either this or the moonswatch .A Seiko 5 for a 100 quid is value.

There won’t be sustained hype with this one , yeah day 1 is going to be hyped for the flippers but with the moonswatch even my kids were telling me about the watch cause they thought it was a cool young version of my moonwatch . Unless you’re into watches you’re not going to know who Blancpain is .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

To be honest - even some of us who are in to watches were unaware of Blancpain!

I unsubscribed from Frederico's channel as he seemed to be unaware of the origins of the 50 fathoms. Kept saying he had no idea why these collab watches are 91m water resistant. Basic stuff, he exposed himself there. Another self-appointed watch expert who knows very little about watches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Have to say I tend to agree. Looking at the market at the moment and using TZ as a guide? Asking prices are dropping on even Rolex at this point. There is a growing flight to cash IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

I usually find him pretty good, surprised he didn't know that or at least have a glance at google before going with that take.

Just on your 2nd point. I actually tend to agree with you that it did bring a lot of new people into watches, But? Did it bring a lot of new people into buying Omega, or rather bring a lot of new people hoping to score their next flip?

I think like a lot of folk here I've gotten into the habit of thinking that I'm "renting" my watches. That if I buy at decent value, I can wear for a while and if I like it? Great and if I don't, well I can trade into a new watch and the great wheel of watch trading moves along with everyone moving a step to the left😁

Swatch are doing a great job in their collabs grabbing hype and PR. Who is gaining the benefit tho, Swatch? Definitely! The collaborator brand or even the broader watch market? I'm not so sure

LOL . I first heard about them when I bought a seiko 5 , can’t remember the model but it’s used to mod as a Seiko “fifty five fathoms “ and it got me wondering what was fifty fathoms about .As a watch brand it doesn’t seem to have anything unique going for it .

If you can go to a store and pick one up in the coming months without a wait then there is no profit in it and you are stuck with it and you paid 500 euro for a childs compass looking watch thing

unsubbing from fredrico but watching Paul Thorpe does not compute.

Paul Thorpe is no watch expert either imho. But I like him as a person. Don't watch all his stuff though.

My daughter picked up 2 * Swatch X Omega last year on her travels. Zero wait time and she passed the shop anyway so took no more than a couple minutes. I sold both for a decent profit after wearing it for a day or two (novelty wears off quickly as you know)

I'd expect the same to happen with this Swatch X Blancpain. But maybe I'm wrong and you are right, we shall see.

@banie01 - "I think like a lot of folk here I've gotten into the habit of thinking that I'm "renting" my watches. That if I buy at decent value, I can wear for a while and if I like it? Great and if I don't, well I can trade into a new watch and the great wheel of watch trading moves along with everyone moving a step to the left😁"

Very much so. I had a Tissot watch for about 15 years from the mid 90s, but I didn't consider watches a hobby back then. Since those days I had my Seamaster pro for 3 years, that's the longest I ever kept a watch. Have the Cameron almost 3 years now too. That's very long for me. A lot of watches barely last a few weeks. I can't really afford to loose money on watches and fortunately this rarely happens. Beer income but fancy a champagne lifestyle 🙄

Want an Omega Planet Ocean again after I sold mine 3 months ago. That rarely happens either, me wanting back the same watch, only happened with a Turtle before 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

They have done their homework. at this price sell a **** load of these as compared to the FF.

Folks will happily drop $400 for a homage compared to several grand for the original.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Swatch are going to make a mint again. Their marketing director must be a genius. But will it bite them in the back later with once prestige brands further hollowed out? I'd love to see some sales figures for the likes of seamasters and speedmasters with actual prices they sold for new, over the last 5 years.

From my buddy in Edinburgh this avo. The Gen Z_ombies have commenced queuing. All avid dive fans seemingly lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's the sneaker-fication of Swatch. A great marketing tactic for sure, they're going to try position themselves as Nike with their limited run collaborations.

I guess it's working too. I've needed a new watch for a while now and saw and really liked the idea of the Moonswatch but missed out on them when they originally came out. From there I heard and read about this new colab with Blancpain and thought I might grab one when they launch but it seems like it's just going to be a hassle. But I suppose if they're catching the interest of people like me, who don't really follow the watch world, they're doing something right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I bet there isn't a PADI licence among the whole lot of them.

😉

I'd dare say half would drown in the deep end of the pool. They're good at queuing tho lol.

There's lots of nice things I could buy or do with 400 quid, the posh swatch ain't one but ymmv.

Well you call them zombies. But the last time around these young entrepreneurs (you see, I respect them, unlike must of you in here) made €1000 in easy profit from selling to real zombies - the lazy insta addicts that must show the very latest gimmick to their followers.

Hey, feast upon the Zee'rs by all means:)

A true opportunist would upsell them anti woke cream for the virtue rash theyre going to get from the swatchpain's new "recycled from fishing nets" nato.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If they can queue for a couple of hours and sell a plastic pos to an idiot for €1k then fair play to them.

I just saw someone over on TZ call these the "Thrifty Fathoms" and now? I want to elect him leader 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Just in London atm. Well over a 100 people queuing outside swatch in Covent Garden. Most of them wearing high end sneakers. Resellers the lot of them

I call them gougers.. but gobshites will supper them .

I see some of these already on Chrono24 for up to €1700, madness for a plastic homage .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

Have to hand it to them, these watches are a definite hit.