Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,126 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Did you ever read that report by the EPA on Irish Water, (a state owned utility company), and urban sewage or are your concerns on improving water quality just confined for some reason to dairy farming ?

"49% of the combined sewage loading that arises in large urban areas in Ireland is discharged from treatment plants that are not meetint the mandatory European Union treatment and effulent quality standards. And that is for sewage that makes it to those treatment plants."

Irish Water loses 37% of mains water through leaks, so I doubt the leakage is less from mains sewage. But lets say for the sake of argyement it is. That would mean that 37% of raw sewage from urban areas leaks into the ground before it reaches treatment plants. And even that does not include the 7.5 million litres of raw untreated urban sewage that is discharged daily into waterways.

The EPA report goes on to say : "Irish Water still does not have clear plans and time frames to improve discharges from 27 priority areas where waste water is a significant pressure on water bodies at risk of not meeting their environmental objectives."

We are being told by Irish greens that if we in Ireland set a good example on emissions then the rest of the world will see the error of there ways and follow our us. Do you not think that when it comes to improving water quality the same should apply especially for a fully owned state utility company before going lecturing to anybody else ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Not very green to be taking out something that's still working, and to quote yourself "have no real lifespan" to have to produce raw materials for new panels and then ship the "old" ones out to the poor divils in Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭xl500

Not just dairy farming all farming is damaging the environment

Thanks for that, but not really the answer to the question I was asking.

It seems very wasteful and not very "green" to be replacing solar panels that have "no real lifespan" and while, as you say, it is routine in industry "to replace things on a schedule before their failure happens", something with no life span being replaced while still providing 80% efficiency is even less "green" based on that principle.

But back to my original question, who are the main suppliers (I assume they are donating them rather than selling) of these solar panels to developing countries ?

For someone so energised about water quality based on EPA reports, when it comes to a state utility company reports by the EPA on same you appear to have a very laissez faire outlook.

Could that have anything to do with one being in realation to rural matters, whereas the other is in relation to a state utility company responsible for 75% of the countries sewage that is failing on multiple level when it comes to meeting mandatory E.U. requirements ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭Shoog

Its very green to recycle into use a product which is still functional. Its also standard business practice to perform routine upgrades to maintain peak efficiency. This is just standard business operation.

There is nothing poor about been gifted functional hardware that will transform you life in fundamental ways.

Me thinks the lady protests to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

"A law to make cyclists use a cycle lane" is always a sure fire way to indicate a poster has no idea what they're talking about and simply don't cycle anywhere.

And the Green party is still the scary bogeyman for you, it's literally at the start of the story, they're not his proposals FFS.

Not his proposals. Our electorate are as dumbass as **** even when it's in black and white in front of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

I wish I had known about this generous gifting of perfectly usable solar panels by industry before I paid big bucks to the solar industry to buy new ones. Must keep my ear to the ground to take advamtage if I decide to extend my solar capacity.

It's the farmers that are causing

The nitrate pollution in our waterways

• Advertisement

Ya wouldn't have any issues with people upgrading cars every couple of years so. Or changing their phone to the newer model. Or the whole fast fashion thingy. I've been wrong about what I thought green was.

There is a whole industry based upon the resale of backup batteries and panels taken out of commission on a routine replacement cycles. Its relatively easy to hook into and great prices can be had. However are you prepared to forgo the grid hookup because no installation company will install them for you - and are you also prepared to loose 20+% of your roof potential. These are the issues.

a 20 year service cycle is fairly good for industry. As I said I think you are picking fault with what amounts to standard practice across all industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I’m not sure what You’d implying in your first sentence, but there is no law to force a cyclist into a cycle lane - a Garda told me this.

Read the post I quoted, it's from there, you should know as you made it.

Advocating for such a law is ridiculous.

So no worries whatsoever on the massive non-compliance of the state`s own utility company responsible for urban sewage (75% of the country`s total) and the sewage pollution of waterways.

A strange attitude by someone so exercised about waterway pollution.

You keep claiming this but have shown no evidence that the identified cause (farmers) is not the far larger contributor to water nitrates. I would freely admit that the water industry has a lot of catching up to do with regard to discharges - but farmers are discharging on practically every acre of land within the country. Farming has been empirically identified as the main source of water contamination in the state - and this was by the EPA under the direction of the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

So, money is spent installing cycle lanes but there is no obligation for cyclists to use them?

You already know that, a garda told you. remember?

That is true. Companies do routinely include a 5% write off of plant and machinery as depreciation. It is generally refered to as capital allowance and is tax deductible. But that only applies to registered companies as far as I know and would not apply to individual households as regards solar panels.

It would apply to commercial wind installations who could write off that 5% each year for the 20 years of their government contracts to supply solar energy. Are those the solar panels still being 80% effective going to these developing countries you are referring too ?

• Advertisement

I`m not claiming anything when it comes to the states utility company`s failings in complying with E.U. mandatory requirements. It`s in the reports of the very same EPA you are so exercised about when it comes to rural issues in relation to wateway pollution but have apparently no problem having a laissez-faire (allow to do) attitude to when it comes to urban sewage pollution of waterways.

That I find very strange. Especially where we have Irish greens telling us that we should be setting a good example on emissions etc to show the world the error of their ways. Would it not be an idea on that basis for the state to clean up it`s own mess before dictating to others ?

Btw. Still waiting on an answer to my question on your posts regarding solar panels.

Post edited by charlie14 on

More and more farmers see the benefits in installing solar. It really is a no brainer. Working collectively can see even more benefits

A farmer, determined to drive down his energy bills, has started a movement which has seen 65 dairy farmers on the Dingle peninsula group together to buy solar panels and cut their energy bills in half.

Denis 'Dinny' Galvin said the farmers' bulk purchase of solar panels for their milking parlours could save the group over €500,000 on their energy bills.

The farmers currently pay an average of €10,000-a-year on energy but, by switching to solar, they hope to slash these bills by 50%, while buying as a collective means they will save on the cost of the panels and installation.

2 wrongs don't make a right instead of trying to shift the blame take some responsibility for once

Indeed they do not, so I look forward to you and other greens in future citing EPA reports on government failures when it comes to urban pollution of waterways not just concentrating on rural.

Doing otherwise just give the impression of bias.

To be fair, this was known for a long time but the planning barriers put a stop to it. I was denied planning on 3 occasions to put panels on sheds over the last decade. Amazing what people will do when they're allowed and are supported

Yup, the planning regs took ages to sort out, far longer than it should have, but now they are the growth in solar adoption is getting hard to keep track of as its happening so fast between large scale grid providers, businesses, farmers, small providers, and residential.

Out of curiosity I took a look at the Eirgrid data to see what has been connected so far

There's 3 on TSO connections (up to Jul 2023), the rest are on DSO (up to Dec 2022)

The DSO connections total 34MW up to Dec 2022. Will be interesting to see the growth in both over the next few years.

Well you can thank the greens for the new agri solar grant way higher than domestic fair play to them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Closing date today (Septemeber 8th) if you want to let the politicians know your objections or devotion to the cause - http://gov.ie/ClimateConversation

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Closed before you posted

The closing date for submissions is 5.30pm on Friday, 8 September 2023

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

I was interested in the demand for off shore wind contracts in the UK considering all the bad news in the last year. Surely there would be less interest in the auction given the growing set of uncertainties involved. But zero? Yes, that's right, 0. On the BBC news. Questions were asked. Immediately there was someone from the industry giving positives about on shore wind. This was just a hickup on the certain bright future for 'renewables', bla bla bla. And of course nobody in the studio saying the bleeding obvious..

Hard to get around the fact, zero, nil, 0, nada, niente..

Advertisement