Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

I'm delusional by directly quoting players who have played under Kenny, both at LOI and International level..... Where did i say he was a great manager? I stated that his main attribute which every player seems to state is his man management.

There is barely a manager managing these days that rules by fear. If Kenny tried that he would be out on his arse as the players wouldnt stand for it. I would safely say the players have plenty of respect for Kenny, hes the first manager in years to tell them they are good footballers and should try and play. Has it been great, no, but as a player i would rather be praised than be told "you're shite, just hump it ling"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Nothing. Can't think of any attributes that someone who's played at the highest level of a sport would bring to bare in the managing of players, playing at the highest level of the same sport.

Maybe we should start interviewing accountants for the position?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭McFly85

I’ve said multiple times, his time is up as manager.

But I don’t know who I would consider a good replacement. All of the suggestions I’ve heard are unrealistic or uninspiring.

Seems people will be happy with literally anyone as long as it says “Not Stephen Kenny” on their CV.

Fairly bang on. I thought Kenny would do better than what he has shown. Some of that down to the way he talked positively about our players for the first time in yokes and probably also believing the younger players were better than they actually are. Truth is we have a very mediocre group of players and a manager thats been mediocre in the role.

Its probably time to move on from Kenny, but we are a long long way away from qualifying for anything. We are 25 years behind most other nations in Europe and we are paying for it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

In practice it's become very clear that it's pretty rare for playing success to translate to management success. If that's all someone has to offer, then its best they cut their teeth elsewhere for a while.

And no, probably not accountants, but how about, like, half decent actual football managers. That should be the bare minimum really - people who have already shown some ability at the thing they're going to be hired to do.

I do think we have the bones of a decent team. Up front we have good options I feel, defence is okay too. Midfield were desperate for some creativity or finesse. A prime Hoolahan would do wonders for this team.

Kenny did a good job to get us to this point where now we have a young enough team with some experience. But his limit as to what he can do with this team has been reached I think.

His replacement will be the first post-Delaney FAI appointment so it will be interesting to see who they go for. I don’t think they’re going to get the chequebook out and gamble on qualification. Hopefully it’s someone who can come in and bring the team on further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

So basically Kenny has picked young players, anyone could have done that. Any randomer from a local pub with half an interest in soccer, could have done that. That is 'the point where we are at now'.

Another manager will now have to come in and put a bit of 'smacht' on the team. Organise it, make the team hard to beat, while also a bit of threat to get points, a team that works hard and scraps every minute of the game. Everything Kenny seemed incapable of doing.

This Kenny blooded players argument pisses me off to be honest. Every manager does that at some stage, if he feels it is required. Stan blooded more players than Kenny for instance.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

The CEO has stated in the media that he believed the manager should be living in Ireland. If he tries to stick to that he may have backed himself into a corner. We have lots of potential alright, with some promising players coming through but they need to bloody play games. Kelleher i think will amount to nothing at this stage. Others the same, I think we will have possibly 5 or 6 very good players but the rest will be bang average.

• Advertisement

Kenny was brought in specifically to bring u21 players through to the senior team.

It’s fine saying anyone could have done it, but Kenny did. Previous managers remit was just finding players league one and above getting minutes. There was practically zero link between the u21s and the senior team. I know you are completely adverse to giving him any sort of compliment but it was part of what he was tasked to do, and he did do it - with Euro 2024 being the target.

Thats not going to happen, so he will go.

Anyway, saying “anyone could do that” is easy to say about most things. Mick came in and didn’t qualify us for the euros, sure anyone could do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

England have already publicly said they wouldn’t stand in the way of an offer from Ireland.

As for “practically no experience in football that would suggest he’d be a good fit”, that’s just a silly statement to make. Leaving aside he played for Rep. of Ireland he’s been in football management for over ten years at a relatively high level be it caretaker or not. He’s now managing one of the biggest u21 sides in the world and has a very good all round reputation. Look at Southgate, in comparison, a very mediocre 3 years at Middlesbrough with a relegation on top of it, England u21 for a short period and then went on to take the job of arguably the biggest national football management job. Your argument against Carsley holds no water, we’d be lucky to get him.

Your spinning again Mick and MON and Stan all have blooded players in the past. Trap gave McClean his debut! Trap laughed at the reaction from the Irish crowd he said it was as if it was Messi/Pele was coming on!

Why is it being spun that Kenny has done this magical thing blooding players? I say so bleeding what. He just picked his u21 lads, plus Ogbene - wow.

Has Kenny moulded them into a cohesive consistent team capable of beating teams that Ireland should beat? = no

Has Kenny moulded them into a cohesive team capable of beating teams that Ireland should not beat but might get a result? = no

Bonus question style of play -

Has Kenny created a team that plays nice attractive football? = no.

They are actually boring to watch in most games, with occasional one off individual goal every 10 games or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,268 ✭✭✭✭briany

Winning football is the most attractive kind of football. Do whatever you can within the rules to win a game, and then maybe if the ref's back is turned...

The problem with the Irish team and passing it around on the deck is that they're not skilled enough to do that reliably without making a mistake. They could do it in training where there is little pressure. They could do it maybe in their clubs where they're playing with continental players. But they've never been able to do it consistently when it's eleven Irish players playing a proper game. You see players from other European countries, they can routinely get the ball under control with a touch. Irish players take maybe 2 or three - chest down a lofted ball, let it bounce once on the ground, then go, by which point they've lost the few precious yards of space that they had.

This is why the Kenny project was doomed, if well-meaning. Until you have Irish players coming through who can control the ball to somewhere within the skill level of Spain, or Germany or even Greece or Serbia, playing a passing game will always deliver underwhelming results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It's looking like we will fail to make the playoffs. If this happens, it will be the final nail in Kenny's coffin.

There is talk in the English media about Carsley for England manager after Southgate. The main reasons Carsley would take the Ireland job if all other avenues - club jobs, better international jobs, were used up. If you were Carsley would you lower yourself unnecessarily? His stock is high at the moment.

If Carsley flopped at the club level for example - like Neil Lennon/Hughton and wanted to revitalise his career. Then I would understand him using the Ireland job to do so. But he would be mad to take it now, he would be walking into a shambles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

I agree with you on all of this. As I said, we’d be lucky to get him. My point was in response to saying he wasn’t up to the job, experience enough or qualified to do the job which is just stupid.

He’s done well with a hugely talented squad at underage level. It’s the complete opposite end to the spectrum to the Ireland job, a senior side with limited options.

If he’s so highly rated, I’m surprised that clubs aren’t in for him.

Brian Kerr is the only comparison we have I suppose - then there is the 'better players' argument, or that he was too cautious.

But back then a section of fans turned on Kerr so the FAI moved. I blame the fans for managers more than the FAI to be honest. Because bar the rare exception (Jack Charlton) the FAI try to give the fans the manager that would be a popular fan pick at the time.

Even the Stan/Robson pick had the goodwill of the fans initially.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The next manager in will play to our strengths, there are very obvious adjustments to be made to get us more competitive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Not even sure if I'd want a play off spot at this stage. End up playing someone like Poland or Norway for them to run us ragged like Greece.

Even if we do sneak in could see him being gone. He didn't do anything to achieve the play off so wouldn't see any point of letting him there for the sake of it. Come November if they don't feel like Kenny isn't the guy who should lead Ireland in the WC '26 qualifiers then he should be moved on there and then. No point letting him continue on when a new guy could be getting extra games with the squad before the NL kicks off.

If they actually know what they're doing they'd have someone lined up. If they're actually able to bring him in early do it. If they have to wait till November do it then.

• Advertisement

The vast vast majority of ex-players who become good coaches learn to be good coaches. Expecting someone’s football ability to translate right into coaching success has proven to be a mugs game.

I’m delighted for any former players who want to cut their teeth at management, but the Irish national job is probably not the place for that. We should be looking for people who have already shown sufficient ability at the job they’re actually being hired to do.

Beggars can't be choosers. We should not be even paying 500k. Infrastructure wise we are a joke. We need a proper youth/academy system and a home league that can actually produce European quality teams and players.

That should be the priority. If SK was earning what he's worth, 100k max. Then I'd probably leave him there.

IF and thats a big IF, there was money being routed into a coherent plan for the above requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Problem is as well is that the play-offs are seeded, so it would be away to somebody stronger over one leg.

What is not good as well is for 2026 the playoffs will comprise of 12 second place teams plus 4 Nations League teams. A lot of heavy hitters there.

We need an automatic spot for 2028.

What are the current squads strengths that are not being displayed at the minute?

That’s my point… if we have limited spending power I’d rather go for a non-star name who actually has some vague amount of coaching pedigree over a recent former player who’s unproven as a manager and only in the running because of what they did with a ball at their feet. We don’t have much money, we need to make it count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,518 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yeah, yeah.

First it's Kenny will fix everything, then it's Kenny hasn't got the players and now it's "success of the past is hurting Kenny".

Pull the other one though, always glad to hear how having a competitive national team qualifying for tournaments harms football in Ireland.

Sure doesn't elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,518 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It isn't of course. One has **** all too do with the other.

Just the apologists making that link.

Obvious -

1) Closing down opponents - Opponents (regardless of their quality) get loads of time on the ball - plus shots from distance - too easy for them

2) High energy - what Ireland is good at (Ireland have been very passive - the most passive I have seen any Irish side - under the current managers instructions)

3) Moving the ball quicker making use of that energy and avoiding that extremely weak midfield - not very technical (which is Ireland's greatest weakness) - Ireland has pacy players the quicker they move the ball the better - chances of goals on the counter.

4) Getting better at set pieces - attacking and defence

If previous mangers were bang average, what does make SK?

He's clearly out of his depth. LOI is his level. That's not a slight on him, that's the facts.

It's discraceful he has been allowed to stay on as long as he has done tbh. Another cock up by the FAI.

The main reasons that Kenny is still there (to be fair to the FAI) - the fans and a cohort of the media still support Kenny.

Plus the FAI does not have much money so they might as well keep him etc. There will not be much of a queue for the Ireland job.

The FAI are doing what they normally do, waiting for the fans to turn on the manager before they make a move.

• Advertisement

Duff is currently working for free. Maximum they'd have to offer is Kenny's currently over inflated salary.

He has football pedigree, he's Irish, he'd have respect from players. Nobody else ticks those boxes?

And yes at this point it is a case of saying anyone but Kenny. He's ran his course and is absolutely not worth his wage anymore.

I don’t think Kenny has the levels of support that would upset fans if he were to be sacked.

Most I know who have been supportive(including myself) were aware that he was targeting qualification this campaign.

When I saw the group, I thought qualification would be difficult so the only way he keeps his job is a strong third place finish.

That won’t happen either, so I think most people know it’s the end of the road for him.

He’ll still have the support in the stands while he’s manager though, most match going fans are appreciative of what he’s tried to do at the very least.

Great, everything you listed there are attributes of the players. So if they are not doing that, maybe they simply arent good enough to do it no matter who the manager is?

1 - Yes im fairly sure its an instruction from the manager to just let teams shot whenever they want....

2 - How can players who barely play for their clubs bring high energy when they are not fully match fit?

3 - So go back to kick and rush football with sort of control what so ever? That went well in the past for us.

4 - Our set pieces are ok. Reason they were better in the past was we had peak Shane Duffy. Other than him we were poor at set pieces.

I've defended Kenny and what he has and is trying to do, but his time is clearly up and we need to move on at the end of the campaign.

His support has nose dived. Once qualification is out of reach he's toast.

It is Kenny's instruction - tippy tappy, slow slow, sideways, that was how he started wasn't it? Remember the logic keep ball was supposed to be a form of defence?

It is Kenny that picks the team, making excuses about players not playing for their clubs is a real cop out. I am not sure even you believe that one.

I never said hoof the ball for the sake of it (something you always jump to) I said direct quick ball - high energy. If lads don't have the skills you counter that with lads who can run, are fit and athletic. But yet Kenny has codded you into the pipe dream of playing technical football - you need a technical midfielder for that to work. Jayus the media/fans were talking up Byrne from Rovers at one stage!

The 'peak Duffy' is another laughable excuse - Ireland has loads of good quality centre backs - Egan, Collins etc. Plus Kenny has depended on Duffy for goals as it is!

Kenny's own mother wouldn't come out with as much vague exuses for Kenny as you have. But thankfully even you have decided it is game over. If you are barometer of the main fanbase, hopefully that means the FAI will quietly move on from the debacle/experiment and pretend it never happened.

As the only reason Kenny got the job in the first place was because Irish football fans like yourself were loudly calling for Kenny to get the gig. That is the truth of it. It was a shot in the dark, a risk. Mixed with a narrative of a 'new Ireland' that Kenny supporters in the media pushed - Lisa Fallon, a lot of RTE, 100% of Newstalk OTB etc - and fans like yourself brought into the narrative - unquestioning.

A bad free option is still a bad option. Again, we need to go for the best we can for the money - that does not include lads with basically no experience who are only being suggested on the basis of their name recognition from a previous career. I mean, the current lad absolutely walked the league that Duff is doing a bit of on-the-job learning in, and that has demonstrably proven not to be enough for the job. Maybe in a few years Damien will have proven himself in some capacity to be worthy of the conversation (ideally at a higher level than LOI), but he certainly hasn't yet.

The real danger of the "anyone but Kenny" approach is that a year down the line we'll be into the "anyone but that guy" cycle, and have wasted another campaign. "Anyone but" is not a valid position for the lads actually doing the hiring, or anyone having a serious conversation about it. We need someone with a reasonable claim at being better than Kenny. I don't think Duff comes anywhere near that at this stage.

Roy Keane is still the fella I think should get it - even though many poo-pooed the suggestion on here. He has the experience the profile.

But I think the FAI will likely go for a 'yes man' someone who is easy to control, who is cheap and does not have any controversy attached so that rules Vera Pauw out I suppose...

It will basically be a pick the media tells the fans who they want, then the fans will decide that they will want that manager etc.

The populist choice.

Keeping the ball is a form of defense. Its why Pep wants to dominate possession, if you have it the other team cant score.

Really so players not playing football with there club is making excuses? Have you played sport? Match Sharpness is everything at top level sport. Irish teams under Kenny have generally gassed after 60-70 mins. Only so much an international manager can do in terms of fitness.

"Direct Quick ball" - Thats exactly what Kenny has moved towards, his first nations leagues games to now are caulk and cheese.

Bingo, how many have they scored under Kenny? Our scoring rate from set pieces without knowing the stats hasnt changed much.

What do you mean vague excuses?

So the majority of the media and experienced football people pushed for Kenny but in your eyes these experts were wrong? It was 100% the right appointment at the time, he deserved his chance, it hasnt worked out, so we move on.

He seems to be grand, with promise for the future... but that's grand at a level our current guy absolutely dominated. So if unequivocally excelling at that standard seems to not be good enough for the senior job, then it's hard to argue how someone a few levels below at that same standard should be in with a shout.

I think you're right that he wouldn't take it though. He's gone about his coaching career the right way, start at the bottom, learn, and work your way up. The senior job would be way too much too soon and most likely set his career backwards. He's best off using his name to help him into the right jobs at the right times as he takes his steps upwards, rather than using it to jump too high and flame out.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

Listen, Pep has players who can play forward penetrative passes - Ireland simply don't -so all Ireland could do at best it was side to side. Then they would make an error concede a goal. And have few avenues to get that goal back.

The games are not caulk and cheese. The cheese still stinks. There is not enough closing down of the opposition, they are rarely unsettled.

Your vague excuses were Kenny did not have Peak Duffy, and the players don't play for clubs so are not fit etc. Christ they are comedy skit excuses. Anything but blame Kenny it seems - real indoctrinated stuff.

Yes the media were wrong, way wrong - it was pure propaganda playing to the masses like yourself going with the populist choice.

From the article above 15th November 2021 Lisa Fallon -

"Kenny has led the Boys in Green to four consecutive clean sheets for the first time in a decade, while the 20 goals scored in the calendar year are more than the three previous years combined."

She meant this:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I think a lot of people got carried away with the idea of "well if we play better football, we'll get better results". Doesn't work like that. There's another team out there who is going to try and stop you playing the way you want. Attacking football or possession football doesn't automatically equal better results.

I have sympathy for Kenny and respect for what he's trying to do. But ultimately, his players aren't good enough and neither is he. There are better options who will probably sacrifice style for results but there are also better options who will try to play decent football and make a better fist of it than Kenny.

Another campaign? This campaign is over. Leaving Kenny in situ is 100% wasting time for the next campaign.

You're not making sense. Duff for the same price is a good option. Ticks all the boxes and is at least on par with SK. For SK increased management experience Duff makes up for in top level playing experience.

I dont think he'd actually take the job but he's a good option. Ill even go as far as saying its just a sideways move. But SK needs to be moved on. This is pure madness now.

There's been no further progress and he's coining half a mil a year for what is currently a no consequence job. Crazy stuff.

This campaign is over. Simply going for "anyone but Kenny" for the next campaign would leave us with THAT campaign likely over after a few games too. We need to be very smart with the next appointment.

Duff ticks only the odd selection of boxes you decided upon - which weirdly didn't include "has suitable management experience". (I also don't particularly agree that he'd have the players respect automatically - he'll have their respect as a person and former player of course, but as a manager they'll just see the fella who already walked out on them, and only has five minutes of experience in a poor quality league).

It doesn't matter how cheap someone is if they're simply too unproven and inexperienced for the job.

Duff taking the Ireland job is a major risk, could ruin his playing legacy like Staunton. I think International football is suited to older heads who have been there and done it management wise. Playing at International level helps.

But Duff is very green in management terms, he has only managed Shels for two years. How many ex pros could manage a LOI team? I would say all of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭jacool

I'd say if Duff or Carsley were stupid enough to read threads like this, they would go "Oh, that's what'll be coming down the line for me in 12-24 months time then. No thanks."

The Pro Kenny brigade will be saying "We told you it was going to be impossible."

The Anti Kenny brigade will still be blaming him for leaving a mess behind.

Truth is that we do not have enough quality players now, or coming down the (pipe)line, to turn things round. We will also see more players declare as English to help clubs satisfy the "homegrown" requirements, ones that perhaps might have considered Ireland as an option, in the past.

• Advertisement

So how do 75% fit players run and close down opposition? You're talking through your hoop

You said set pieces were crap, which is wrong but Duffy not playing hasnt helped with our Set pieces given he was and is the biggest threat.

You accuse me, someone who knows a bit about football and works in grassroots of playing to the propaganda and populist choice and yet you are calling for Roy Keane? Pot Kettle Black!

A closing down game, high tempo as you have mentioned requires a high level of fitness. Many of our squad are not 100% match sharp so you have to cut your cloth to suit. Kenny could do what you suggest but the team would be out on their arse at half time. What good is that?

That is why I think Roy Keane should get it he doesn't give a sh!te what people think - plus he would have the profile to entice Irish eligible players (born elsewhere) to play for Ireland. I would say many of those lads would have had to google 'Stephen Kenny' to see who he was. Plus Roy Keane has had international experience as assistant manager, top level experience as club manager as well.

Roy Keane won't get it though because the Irish Fans/Media will decide - plus the FAI are scared of Roy Keane. As the English FA were scared of Clough.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The last line of your post shows your very limited knowledge.

Tell me why? Jayus even Dunphy had a go managing Rovers with Giles. A fella managing Ireland on the back of LOI needs more experince than that. Kerr had it at underage international level - where he got success (unlike Kenny).

If LOI is the barometer for Irish international management on its own - why not pick Pat Fenlon? (Shels successes among others).

Or even Big Sam, sure he managed Limerick !

Come on these are Pro footballers, GAA Dublin players are even ultra fit these days. Other nations pick players that do not play of their clubs and they do well - Scotland etc. Are you saying the Irish players are lazy lard arses? Look at McClean 34 playing league two - doing a job.

The last time I mentioned Roy Keane - you laughed him off as a dinosaur. But could not suggest an alternative.

Is there anyone else besides Roy Keane who will -

1) Have a profile

2) Have international management experience

3) Managed in top European league and had success

4) Will come cheap and would live the Ireland job

-

There is no other obvious choice I can think of (and that comes from someone who was anti-Roy Keane Siapan etc)

--

I am convinced if Mick McCarthy stayed in the job, Ireland would now be far better off. In world ranking and in competitiveness. Hiring Kenny has been probably worse than Steve Staunton's era.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement