Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caring for new lawn advice

Options
  • 08-07-2023 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi, looking for some advice on caring for a newly seeded lawn. When to cut, drop more seed for patchy areas etc. etc.

Garden is in a new build estate, so apart from some topsoil applied before the seed was spread, I would say the soil beneath is not great and from what I saw before the builders spread some topsoil it was quite stoney.

I would say (and can measure tomorrow) the grass length is around 8cm on average.

Some patchy areas and there is loads of seed there but at this stage, I would say it is dead.

I was thinking of giving the grass a cut and forking the area around where the garden is patch and maybe dropping more seed.

Is this a sensible next step, or what would the best advice be.

Pics attached, the tree will be taken out btw.

Re: seed used by builder they said "grass seed is called “Green Velvet”. This may not be available in garden centres, but the generic seed mix is known as “number 2 seed mix” which is the standard grass mix for gardens".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Don't bother reseeding the soil will soon disappear. I'd recommend cutting that no closer than 5cm ideally at least once a week. You could start off with a couple of higher cuts maybe 6cm or more. You are only topping the grass to make it tiller out (spread).

Just avoid the classic Irish way of grass cutting with is to leave it let it grow too long then to cut it as short as possible, rinse repeat.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Take a look at some videos on youtube. I follow a company from Belfast called Premier Lawns. The videos are great for advice and those boys know their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Inforapenny

Thanks both for your replies so far and the advice re: the youtube channel.

I just had a look at one of those videos from Premier Lawns called "How to look after a NEW LAWN: when to cut it for the first time".

He advises getting a newly seeded lawn to around 6cm/7cm before its first cut and then not cutting any more than 25% off it for first cut.

Then for the sparse parts of the lawn he does pencil tines and drops more seed in, says you can use a garden fork if you dont have the aerator he uses.

So, I may do something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Ginger83

That guy has a lot of experience and gives good tips. You have a manageable level area so if this type of work interests you it should be easy and cheap enough to keep in good condition.

Cutting now on a high setting will encourage it to fill out. I wouldn't overthink it as grass is not fussy. Pull the big weeds by hand and pick any big stones before you cut. Don't feed it until next spring if you feel the need to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If that bald patch refuses to grow by next season it might be worth digging just that bit up and checking if it is soil or rubbish underneath. Don't worry about stones, so long as they are not on the surface where mower blades will hit them they won't do any harm, and probably do good.

Thanks all, for advice so far.

Gave it a quick trim with a new electric lawnmower, but supidly got the height wrong and went up and down one (left) side with what Id say was a 2cm cutting height. Some amount of stones down that side, so some picking up of stones to do. Thought the garden was quite stoney beforehand anyway.

Cut the rest of the grass with 6cm blade height.

Cord wasnt long enough to get to the very end of garden so need to get an extension lead. Will get it right next time!!

Got some very good advice from @[Deleted User] in another thread on drainage as the bottom left area of the garden dips a little and the ground is much wetter than the rest of the garden, it doesnt really get the sun either.

Hey, back here two months on.

Followed the advice in the thread and have been cutting regularly at 4cm height lately and watering the lawn a bit when weather has been dry for a few days.

My twopence worth now:

Grass is yellow/brown in certain parts, presume that is the sun/lack of water at times?

Still a few small patchy parts, no sign of growth at all.

Noticed a good bit of creeping buttercup (some root on them!!) and also lately a bit of white clover in patches.

Wondering what should I be doing next to improve the lawn?

Shouls I focus on nutrition for the grass and growing it more in the patchy parts?

Or

Should I be looking to remove the creeping buttercup, white clover etc through some means?

Or anything else I should or could be doing?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It's getting there. Get an autumn feed on it and take out the creeping buttercup sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

aerate the patchy parts of the grass with a fork

there could be a drainage issue in those parts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Autumn fert to green up the yellow patches. Some grass seed and a bit of topsoil to fill in bare patches. Sep oct a great time for grass to grow. Once this hot weather goes away

Thank you. Will go after the creeping buttercup so, just need to go around the lawn with the weed extractor taking it out as it is in quite a few parts in small bits.

For autumn feed, is it important to spread it evenly and dont overdo it?

Thank you. Funnily enough I did aerate those patches with a garden fork a few weeks back but it hasn't really improved them. I will do it again, is there any point in dropping some lawn seed on those patches too?

Thank you. For topsoil can I just get some topsoil from the likes of a Woodies, Homebase or B&Q?

I presume put autumn feed on before seeing patches?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Yes, any topsoil in bags will be good. You don't need much. Two or three bags. The seed just needs something to grow in/on.

Keep the seed moist, little and often if you can. All you want is a thin layer of topsoil where the seed is needed. The existing grass will manage its way through the topsoil

Advertisement