Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

i wouldnt be any kind of an expert but id guess that while they may be trying to take a bit more care when theyre building these things the russian mafia havnt gone all suddenly patriotic or anything,they would still be looking for their bite cause the rouble pile has to be re-built so of course the quality of anything thats made will suffer.

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭jmreire

And as always, you will have Ukraine's best Friend, Russian Corruption, at play. So while the engineers may be producing plans for improving older tank's etc, or designing new ones, ( Armata being one very apt example) the reality coming off the production lines may not quite match up to the plans. They were prepared for literally a 3 day war, and were caught out badly and are paying the price now. There was the case that when the went to take new tanks out of storage, the engines had been removed. I wonder what % of their damaged vehicles have been repaired even? Anything that needed any kind of part from the west is now at the very least hindered, if not downright stopped. Logistics has never been a Russian strongpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,516 ✭✭✭roosterman71

For all the starlink talk, here's a link showing the location of the satellites

You'll notice a couple of "trains" of them heading into their orbit after they were launched earlier this year.

(stolen from here https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121084288/#Comment_121084288)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Seanmadradubh

Wouldn't want to think what's happening to this fella at the moment. Respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I am kind of unsure of the timing (maybe have not followed this closely enough).

I think SpaceX has some contract with the US dept. of defence now to provide Starlink to Ukraine's military, but perhaps they didn't when he was doing his shenanigans of first letting them use it and then cooling on it (edit: article posted by "Putin's raging bile duct" implies that:)

Shotwell, president of SpaceX, also felt strongly that the company should stop subsidizing the Ukrainian military operation. Providing humanitarian help was fine, but private companies should not be financing a foreign country’s war. That should be left to the government, which is why the United States has a foreign military sales program that puts a layer of protection between private companies and foreign governments. Other companies, including big and profitable defense contractors, were charging billions to supply weapons to Ukraine, so it seemed unfair that Starlink, which was not yet profitable, should do it for free.

The real problem here is deeper than Elon Musk's dodgy politics, his dangerous affection for despots and his odd ideas. It is a private company and in the end 1 rich individual having that level of power over the US space programme + how the assets get used (ultimately, I think the US govt. i.e. the long suffering taxpayer has paid for most of it?!).

So it wasn't protective paint after all, they really are putting tires on their aircraft

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Seanmadradubh

Be nice when we see one of them going up like a Belfast bonfire.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yes this event was before the US got involved. Even then, starlink currently doesn't work outside Ukrainian controlled territory and there are often issues when there are advances.

I think the US are utter fools for allowing this and space X be controlled by this easily manipulated idiot. But this revelation isn't going to directly lead to anything bar being another in a litany of reasons why he shouldn't and can't be trusted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It's so strange, maybe the simplest solution is they are afraid of the tyres being stolen, so they put sacrificial tyres all over it, in the hope that they will be stolen and the plane won't end up on cinder blocks?

I have seen videos of Ukranian soldiers training by dropping dud bombs from a height and using a tyre as target practice. The aim to drop the payload right in the middle. Stupid Russians just gave them dozens of bullseye's!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Can someone explain what the tyres are meant to achieve precisely?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Agree nothing will happen over it (it would have already if it was going to). If there's firm military contacts in place now hopefully the US govt. will get the gumption to bring the "national security" hammer down on him if (or maybe when?) he next starts chatting to Russia and making policy decisions on the fly!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Musk (and others like him e.g. Murdoch) have been allowed to gather too much wealth and power. Had politicians any integrity, they'd have taxed them sufficiently to prevent them becoming such sovereign individuals, sadly they've either been bought or manipulated into allowing, when not directly assisting, these billionaires to become the threats to global security that they are. I can't see a way to fix the problem they present that doesn't involve execution squads at this point (as any new attempts to tax away their wealth will be too easily hamstrung).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think it was explained, but if I had to guess it's a way to potentially reduce damage from drone strikes; that the rubber might absorb the energy and impact of an explosion, reducing the potential for the plane going up in flames.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

well, what's saddest is that US military didn't have this capability and Eloon was able monetize it. US government taking over businesses is kind of a big deal over there and would take years of legal wrangling. Eloon per the various articles out there has the Pentagon by the short and curlies and dictates Starlink access to them, which if true is pretty damned shocking but I suppose not much different than what the big military contractors get away with (Lockeed, Grumman, Raytheon...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Sigma101

It's also been speculated that they might help disrupt the infrared signature of the aircraft, used by cruise missiles to find their target. Their appearance seems to coincide with Ukraine's claim that the range of their Neptune missiles has been increased so that they can now strike deep into Russian territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Virgil°

At a guess its to stop the small bits of shrapnel from the cheapo cardboard drones that ukraine have been using to attack the airfields.

As even a small piece of shrapnel can cause horrendous damage to a sensitive fighter jet, grounding them for repairs for months.

However as with the usual Russian MO I suspect someone extremely corrupt was tasked with quickly preparing a solution so that the superior officer can report to his superiors that the job is done and checkboxes ticked off. The Russian MOD is billed an enormous sum for a few bits of rubber that were probably lying in a dump nearby. Everyone in charge fills their pockets, gets promoted and nobody is any the wiser that this will do f*ck all. Until the next plane is destroyed and the poor grunt who was tasked with putting the tires there in the first place will be blamed and probably thrown in prison. Fantastic country really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭yagan

I can see the grey area where the US commandeering Starlink would be it officially entering the conflict, but it's probably far more effective to muddy its involvement with its own military satellites by using the Musk drama as a distraction.

It's sounds convoluted, but the Musk drama is a good disavowal of direct US military satellite support. If the US did pay Musk then like I said it would be the US at the front line of conflict, so the current ambiguity works better.

We've learnt that independent satellite internet is highly critical for Ukrainians to defend their country.

We are also learning that a billionaire man-baby controlling said internet is a very bad thing for the Ukrainians (and a great thing for their invaders)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭yagan

All true, but the war goes on and I wonder if aside from Musk the Ukranians are now receiving direct US back channel support. It's not in the US military's interest to be beholden to a private player to ensure its aid to allies isn't wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭jmreire

They're preventative actions taken to prevent any more drone destruction of valuable Russian aircraft, and in the absence of anything else, that's how it will be presented to Putin when he looks for explanations etc, at the next meeting with the Military high command, iE:- Shoigu and Gerasimov ( or their underlings, if heads will roll)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Russian military engineers looked it up, and they discovered that not one single Irish farmers' silage pit had been destroyed by drones in the past 80 years. So they copied their defenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Needs a random pallet for full effectiveness.

Still with the weather remaining mild, could see the UKAF making some autumn gains in their counter offensive. Some of the more spectacular progress were later in the year in 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Time for some Darth Putin...

If you think your job is pointless, just remember that someone works as a “Russian election monitor”. You’ll feel better.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

Agreed. In fairness to Musk (who is dangerous will go down in history as a bad thing), the US Govt should have commandeered the service, paid for it, made all decisions relating to its use, and taken responsibility for those decisions. In retrospect his hero complex put him in this mess but I (like, i suspect, most other people) wasn't complaining when he stood up and made it all available quickly and freely. The US Govt can still take this step and should.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

The stalemate list is currently "Pyatykhatky, Lobkove, Neskuchne, Novodarivka, Storozheve, Blahodatne, Makarivka, Rivnopil, Staromaiorske, Urozhaine, Robotyne. Yesterday Stroivka and Topoli."

Klishiivka is reportedly under at least 75% Ukrainian control in the last week with the Russians stranded after their supply bridge behind them was blown up a few days back.

Yesterday they began retreating from the Northern part of the town on foot during the day time with similar consequences to what happened in Urozhine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭josip

Morally there's a big difference between curtailing existing coverage to foil an attack, and refusing to extending existing coverage. Most of the 'outrage' articles in the media today are assuming the former, but until it becomes clear which version is correct, I don't think judgement can be passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Our 'new' friend, whatever name now, will be spluttering indignation at this slur!!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I'd be thinking that's not too far off and who can believe what comes out of Musk, given his erratic pronouncements.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement