Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• I’d say those NK “experts” are probably delivering “work” they were already contracted for, but that maybe that when these contracts run out (eg “10 appearances on radio slots to end of 2023”) there may be a range of new experts making their appearances. Very possibly sourcing some new individuals right now, but we won’t see it until the new year.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Some of RTE's biggest stars... what a line-up, eh. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The temps they are a changing...

Maura Derrane will be temporarily taking over The Nine O’Clock Show on RTÉ Radio 1 for the next two weeks.

The co-host of the Today Show on RTÉ One will be taking over from current temporary host Oliver Callan.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Definitions aside, he certainly appears to have held onto 150k funded by licence fee payers without doing the requisite work. He said he'd pay it back. Not a hope Renault will come calling so why hasn't he repaid ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Richard Collins is still working for RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The redundancy investigation shouldn't take too long. It cannot be difficult to gather those facts. Maybe O'Keefe is threating legals. They need to get on with it.

It is 100% red rotten so I am fascinated to see how they spin it.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I presume so, I don't think he has been official suspended but he's not part of the "interim" leadership team. He's still in RTÉ, I assume RTÉ are investigating what is role was, I think he has a case, I think Breada O'Keefee has more to do with this than he has, but he must some responsibility ... and with that is his position tenable?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Maura will be temporarily standing in for the temporary host.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

"The Judge asked one guy did he have a TV licence. He said no."

Can you share any more details on the court proceedings? Surely the prosecution have to produce evidence etc, the judge just asking if he had a licence is assuming the defendant has a TV, was evidence produced to support that assumption?

Any time there's reports in newspapers about TV licence prosecution, it's generally reported that the judge just asks have they a TV licence and if they are going to buy one, the details of actual evidence produced by prosecution seem scant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The details are in the Broadcasting Act 2009.

Section 147 basically states that a TV licence inspector can "if and whenever he or she thinks proper so to do", ask anyone to provide a written declaration regarding their ownership of a TV, whether not not they have a licence, and if they do, the details of the licence (number, issuing date, etc).

According to Sub Section 4, failure to provide such a declaration means the automatic legal assumption that you do have a TV and don't have a licence. That's simply the way the law is written. The burden of proof is then on you to prove the contrary.

I assume most people who end up in court for not having a TV licence have failed to provide this declaration. In those cases, the prosecution doesn't have to prove that they have a TV or don't have a licence - it's enough for the inspector to state that they didn't provide the declaration. If they don't have a TV or do have a licence, or have provide the declaration, then it's up to them to furnish this proof to the judge at this point (which is why they always ask).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I was listening to the Lucy Letby case and they seem to suggest that you are sent a letter to go to court and you arrive and you sit in front of the judge who is seeing to number of non-payments. The Judge must ask you questions, if the guy had said "yes", and produced the TV license he'd be on his way without an additional fine. This isn't a court case where you get a barrister. Anyone confirm what happens. Or if the OP might know what the other evader of the fee did :)

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Tubridy on his way home, no contract signed so far. Orkney Radio has a spot free I think.

Showing a pic of himself on an escalator that is travelling downwards is not a good PR optic. Captions should read 'de-escalated' rather than 'escalated'.

Part of me hopes he gets a job there so he's off our radios/screens. Part of me is worried that that would be the first step to rehabilitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

If I am reading this correctly I have to provide a written proof of licence. I actually paid it online before this hit the fan. The bit of paper as proof I received for no valid reason I can think of, goes direct to the bin. Surely an inspector has access to a file online on who has paid and who has not. That's proof enough ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

He stole a living and he never gave back the €150 K that he said he would.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Incredibly witty. He’s on an escalator and used the word “escalated” - get it? He was underpaid really.

Even though the escalator was going down, it’s quips like this that makes me realise how lucky we are to have had him in our lives for so long. And by lucky I mean unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

You’re supposed to keep the licence, and not throw it in the bin. Same as your driving licence, car insurance cert, etc. The legal onus is on you to prove you have all these things, not on officials to look them up for you. I’m simply telling you the legal situation, I don’t make the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

Of course, the real story of Tubridy's London trip is that he got no support from any Irish media star in Britain mentioned by Finn McRedmond.

Not from Craig Doyle or Laura Whitmore or Sharon Horgan or, well, Richard Corrigan. Think of all the luvvies who have been on the LLS and who no longer want to know. Most tellingly, Tubs has been ghosted by Graham Norton who was on the LLS a number of times promoting his books.

The last thing Norton needs is a selfie with an Irish TV presenter who just lost his job when people discovered his true salary. Tubs must wish he could have used Norton’s response to questions about his salary:

Norton said that he genuinely "doesn't know" how the BBC arrived at that figure. "Myself and my agent look at that number and we go 'I wonder how they came up with that'," he says. "It bears no relation to anything I know. But if that's what they say I earn, that's what I earn."

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Ryan's response said the same thing but came across a little cunty

Neither it's just a bullshit story with no substance or proof that a typical NK puff piece is built around. If the studio existed you would see pics of Tubs in it raring to go. As usual the compliment media take everything that NK sends them as gospel truth. Why is nobody asking the obvious such as what equipment his so called state of the art studio has and why is there no pics of it?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Just half watching the National Television Awards show which was held earlier this week. Graham Norton - who won an award - is in America at present, I gather.

Otherwise no doubt Tubridy would have tried to call on him for a selfie.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭madeiracake

The "For now." Part of that Instagram post is it a threat or a promise 🤔. He really does believe that Irish stations are going to be beating a path to his door afraid he will go to Britain if they don't snap him up. His delusions are quite something. He looked pretty rough in those photos, I wonder is reality starting to seep in and all of Noel Kelly's puff pieces not having the desired effect rattling Tubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭kitsy13

He received 150k for late late show style presentations in Renault garages to promote the said French car brand that never happened, Renault pulled out and the irish tv license fee payers have effectively given him 150k..am I missing something, when did the irish fee payers agree to subsidise a huge French company that own an f1 team etc

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Just seeing ads for the new LLS. I have a question - how can they get any advertising revenue in to RTE now that GO’L has left as she was 100% responsible for all revenue coming into the station…..

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It was done by elements in RTE purely to funnel money to Tubridy under the counter / off the books. Even the shows Tubridy did for Renault were covered by RTE by reducing the value of the Late Late show sponsorship and barter account scams.

All so that Tubridy could avoid a pay cut while pretending to do so so he and RTE could lie about it to the governmen, public and RTE staff.

They were sham events.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Just heard on the news that by the end of the year RTE will have lost around €21M in licence fee revenue. Losses from a nothing burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭yagan

I reckon the current government are bricking having to bail out rte as there is no way it could then be considered politically impartial.

They'll have to spread their election campaigns more broadly across different media outlets and not be seen to reply on old allies in rte.

If RTE don't do the reforms expected of them by the government, they won't get their bail out.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭chrisd2019

The payers didnt agree to this, but the smart people in RTE did so on their behalf!

Hopefully when next February comes round and the renewal letter is due at my door, the fee will be history when leo the mouse realises this is becoming water charges 2.0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭yagan

There'd have to be a new cross party dail committee ensuring such a reform, otherwise any government reform would be viewed with suspicion if rte personal with dynastic links to the government remain in power there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement