Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

It's worth noting that Russian bomber operational doctrine calls for most of the maintenance work on these birds to take place on the flight line itself, rather than having the aircraft moved to a hangar, such as with the USAF's bomber fleet, or indeed the Irish Air Corps. Just compare the level of facilities at laces such as Minot AFB (major B-52 base), Whiteman AFB (Home of the B-2 fleet) or Ellsworth AFB (major B-1B Lancer base) with comparable Soviet/Russian facilities at Engels-2, Shaykovka or Olenya. Now granted, the US bases have significant numbers of unprotected aircraft stands, including of course the ground alert pads that seem to have come into operation again, but even at Minot AFB, which has comparatively little in the way of infrastructure, there are at least several hangars available for aircraft that need to have work done on them. As for Ellsworth and Whiteman AFB, they seem to have one hangar for every two bombers or something ridiculous like that. Once again, they don't have enough hangarage for every bomber, but enough to keep all the aircraft requiring heavy maintenance protected.

Now contrast that with the Russian bases. There is literally nothing there. Sure, there's a massive runway, quite a few ramps and, in the case of Shaykovka or Olenya significant numbers of remote stands and revetments, but no hangars at all. From tire pressure checks to engine changes and avionics upgrades, everything is taking place on the flight line. That's why you can see Tu-95s without an engine in some of those pictures. In the west, this activity would be taking place in a hangar. And that's also likely why they've brought out the tires. They could not move those aircraft into a hangar even if they wanted to, and these tires are supposed to be a surrogate hangar roof.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The topic of hangers and specifically hardened shelters is an interesting one. The Yugoslavs were quite adept at building the latter during the Cold War.

The Gulf War had an impact on the perception if their usefulness during a conflict. Still Western nations seemed to put a reasoanble amount of faith in them. The Ukrainian defence of parts of Mariupool might prove a case study in the future.

It might actually be one area where the North Koreans could provide a degree of expertise to the Russians. Themselves or the Iranians are have spent considerable amount of effort invested in building facilities to survive strikes by drones or more broadly aircraft.

Quite bleak for the Russian air force to go from possibilities of wholesale adoption of fifth generation fighter aircraft to using tyres to protect their Soviet leftovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

To be fully transparent here, from my understanding, any real heavy maintenance work, such as replacing end-of-life structural components, large scale systems upgrades, and whatever the Russian Aerospace Forces call their counterpart to a D-Check were originally meant to take place at dedicated aircraft repair plants located far away from the operational bases, such as at Kazan's Borisoglebskoye airfield. From what I can see, the bases were kept fairly minimal so that they could be brought back to an operational state after a nuclear strike, without having to clear metric tons of twisted concrete or steel from runways and taxiways.

The problem is that when the USSR collapsed, a lot of these repair plants were cowboy-privatized and many consequently went under. At the same time, the economic implosion of Russia left pretty much every arm of the armed forces, including the bomber force, were left cash-strapped, with the priority being put on keeping the bombers operational and introducing a limited number of the new high-tech Tu-160. Completely replacing the maintenance concept just wasn't on the priority list.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

Elon Musk is a national security risk

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Musk might finally have píssed off the wrong people with this Crimean stunt. If it's confirmed true and he actively stopped a combat mission through interference? Even if Ukraine probably can't do much about it directly, I'd be surprised if American authorities don't extend that reach a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭eire4

Lets hope so. Certainly beyond that Musk is a contemptible person this clearly shows the dangers of having so much of the important aspects of the military in private hands. I would also throw in on Musk the following. Let's not forget he has a Tesla factory in China which now makes a huge chunk of the cars they make. So Musk is very much beholden to the authoritarian dictatorship in China whom of course are supporting the authoritarian regime in Russia in their invasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

"The US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) has released a new recruitment video targeting employees of Russia's security services and the military."

https://twitter.com/MajedSallem/status/1700098796309365094?s=20

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Uhh...

wow that's creepy. For all we know it's a RuZZia trick looking for people to blame and execute.

I somehow don't see the CIA as hitting social media to recruit, doesn't seem like their style.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

While I havent seen much in last couple days of advances (presuming they are happening) I've seen a lot of footage of Russian armour and units getting absolutely smashed since early September. The Russian casualties the past week must be staggering

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 23,664 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Whether or not Musk is breaking his company's contract with the US defence department appears to be a total sideshow.

Most notably today Zelensky said that Russian air superiority was 'stopping' (not slowing) Ukraine's counter offensive.

That's the real issue to be fixed, never mind Musk's shenanigans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

This site (again, not sure how legitimate it is but it seems spot on) covers in detail how UAF destroyed an enclave of RuZZian armor.

Slava Ukrainii!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yes. Because the takeaway from all this should be that Musk's battlefield analysis is on point and not that he is a credulous moron.

Why are you validating their posts, by responding?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,664 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Elon Musk is a marshmallow dildo.

All Eyes On Rafah

Last 24 hours - 23 APV, 23 Tanks, 31 Artillery

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Artillery certainly on the uptick over the past week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,741 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭jmreire

The only US airforce base I was ever really near was the one in Kandahar, and my God, that was something else! They even had hangers for the drones. Massive is the only way to describe it, and if you had a liking for plane spotting, you'd never leave it. It was there my love affair with the A10 warthogs began, they had two of them continually patrolling, and I still think about back at the beginning of the Russian invasion, when a very long Russian convoy was stranded for several days on the roadside. I thought WARTHOGS!! WARTHOGS!!, But sadly it was not to be. I also saw the Blackhawks in action, up close as they say. And nothing can prepare you for the noise the make when they start firing their guns.

And you know, its strange. Harking back to the communist times, Russia had to be one of the worlds greatest users of cement, Everything was made with cement, and you would think that valuable aircraft hangars would have been built as standard practice, but then again, its Russia. So no hangars as standard. And I guess the Russians have learned to cope with the extremes of temperature's they face. But for sure, I would not like to be trying to service or do any other kind of work out in the open on an aircraft. I'll always remember on an IL76 flight, there was a problem with one engine, and during a stop, I was watching the engineer as he fixed it. ( I was holding the ladder for him, and handing him up the tools as he needed them) But the part he was working on had an intact factory seal on it, means not to be opened only by the factory. Did it bother him? Not one bit. He grabbed it with a pliers, gave it a twist, and that was it. Seemed to be a pump of some sort. Anyway, what ever it was he did, it worked. But I'd always be just a little bit skeptical about the casual attitude they had to that kind of work!

As for the tires. I still think that they are not meant to be a roof as such....just a kind of drone protection. If the drone explosive hit the tire, would it just rebound? Soften the blow so to speak. But even then, as these are remotely piloted, they could be diverted to a section of the fuselage that was unprotected? Back near or on to the tail section? Would that not cause the plane to break in two?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Shenanigans? He protected Russian warships that fire missiles into Ukraine on a regular basis.

Most notably today Zelensky said that Russian air superiority was 'stopping' (not slowing) Ukraine's counter offensive.

That's the real issue to be fixed,

Ukraine is fighting with every arm and leg tied behind it's back. As such Zelensky has to lobby hard for the gear they need. More AA is being moved to the front, but they always need more. The F16's should, at the very least, force Russian to adopt new strategies, and they should, in theory, benefit Ukraine. It won't be some magic war winning thing, but it's just another step in the right direction.

Ukraine are going into prepared defenses, a sea of mines, kilometers of defense in depth, artillery fire zones, Alligator choppers operating at around 8km out from targets. It's a very difficult task, but incredibly they are making progress. The bar for any of this is entirely up to Ukraine, it's their strategic and tactical choice. It's their country they are liberating, it's the Russian war machine they are destroying in the process, it's the Russian military they are putting under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Musk is an odious quadruple chinned c… hopefully karma catches up with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭jmreire

In Gadaffi's Libya there was plenty of hangars too., but very few of them remained undamaged that I saw. But they did have them.

Let me start by saying Musk is a muppet and he appears to be turning into a bigger muppet everytime he opens his mouth. I have no time for him at all

That being said

Certainly beyond that Musk is a contemptible person this clearly shows the dangers of having so much of the important aspects of the military in private hands.

Starlink is nothing to do with the military though. Its a private enterprise which has been retasked in a warzone by warring parties.

It would be the same if DJI disabled their drones from flying within Ukraine/Russia/Crimea to stop them being used to kill people in the same manner they prevent them from being flown close to airports.

Now, if he has a contract with the military thats a different matter, a breach of contract. Does he have one? Does the contract only cover the Ukranian landmass maybe, and not the waters? I honestly can't keep up with all the Ukraine stuff so maybe he does have a contract in which case he may be in trouble with the US military from that sense.

Regardless, I'm happy to see him getting roasted over this, he's a twat

The avg daily loses since May are staggering. 15-30 systems lost per day.....wow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭eire4

Musk does have a contract with the US Department of Defense although I think it is of more recent vintage signed from what I am seeing earlier this year. It seems according to the below article previously he had a contract with a US foreign aid agency.

SpaceX's Starlink wins Pentagon contract for satellite services to Ukraine | Reuters

Ahh, thats a very different situation so. What a dope. He could end up in front of a congressional hearing if he's not careful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭yagan

The whole musk episode is a warning to all Tesla owners about how the megalomaniac in charge might change terms and conditions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement