Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The "Collins to midfield" thing is really a non runner in fairness though. As you say, club sides try it sometimes. Because club sides can work with a player day in day out in training and work them to fit the position. International football doesn't really let you do that if the player has no club experience in a position, since there's simply no time.

Alaba is one that's often raised as an example, with him playing in midfield for his country - except that he also has extensive midfield experience at club level. There's really not too many (any?) examples of players successfully playing a completely different position at international level which they have never ever played at professional club level. Especially one as tough as CM or DM, where your off-the-ball work is so so different, and so so much harder, having to have an entirely different set of instincts.

CBs play with the game in front of them, CMs play with the game around, beside, and behind them. They have to know when to push, and when to drop back, when to split your CBs and when to step into full back. It's just stuff you're never going to learn in the 2 training sessions every few months that the lads get. I'm afraid we're stuck with the CMs we have, for better or worse. (unless of course Brentford start training him into that position themselves, put real time into it, and start giving him a run out there - not beyond the bounds of possibility in fairness - then it could be a go'er for sure)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭kksaints

But we do work hard enough, we were pressing France aggressively for large chunks of the 1st half and we got players back into position when ever France got possession. If anything the matches against France in this campaign were some of our hardest working performances in a long time and I don't think I'd criticize any Irish team since the tail end of Martin O'Neill's reign for lack of effort.

Why move Collins into midfield? I've seen nothing to suggest it will work and just because it worked with McGrath is no guarantee that it would work again as the O'Shea example shows. Collins should be the linchpin for our backline for the foreseeable future once Duffy and Egan move on. For our creative midfield woes the hope would be that Smallbone will become our creative midfielder with a few more years of experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Andrew Moran with possibly goal of the year for an Irish side. Unbelievable skills from the lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

It was the obvious thing to do to cap youngsters because there were youngsters there to cap which was the first time we had a serious crop coming through together since 1997. If you think that was some major departure from what any other manager would have done then you’re mistaken. If you think other managers would still be picking Shane Long, Darren Randolph, Richard Keogh and Glenn whelan then respectfully I think you’re soft in the head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Cheers. Put Knight in twice by mistake instead of Sykes but forgot Smallbone and Johnston. Still missing one other somewhere.

I presume it’s Crawfordball like we saw in the previous campaign?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

But that doesnt suit the narrative of some..... Kenny hasnt been great but its also blown way out of proportion. If it wasnt for bad luck he'd have no luck at all, thats not to say he hasnt made mistakes because he has.

That nonsense surfacing again about Collins. Have those suggesting it ever played either position on a pitch? CB is a piece of pi** compared to centre mid!

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

Andy Moran looks like the next great hope for a creative midfielder. Hopefully his year on loan goes well

In the first half even though we were the better team and should have been winning. Opened up more in the second half and hopefully just scored a 96min winner even though we should have won this game comfortably.

• Advertisement

Seems a great game and insane how it’s turned since my post poopooing Crawfordball which was desperate in the last campaign

Ireland got 2 reds in injury time?

Second half had everything but his changes in the second half showed we should have started the game 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 rather than playing 3-5-2 with Moran as one of the two.

Moran had a goal ruled out that looked a little soft but probably right call. Great play from him to win the penalty. Turkey being typical cynical fuckers as usual so was lovely to see them on the recieving end once the third went in. Also according to Crawford one of their players headbutted one of ours.

Both benches went at it after the third goal and Roughan who had been subbed off was sent off because his celebration started it I believe but don't blame him as he took a kicking from the Turks.

Roughan banking on a senior call up by the time the return leg comes around. Going to turkey with your card marked wouldn’t be enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭McBain11

Lads, I've 2 spare tickets for the Dutch game on Sunday. South Stand upper. Block 512. Seats 15 and 16.

100 euros total for the 2 tickets. Anyone interested just send me a PM.

TICKETS SOLD FOLKS!

Post edited by McBain11 on

Thankfully we don't play them for another 12 months so could happen. Given our issues at FB wouldn't be a bad shout to play him there next year in the friendlies. Has a decent cross of a ball and set piece delivery. Also the benefit that he's preferred position is CB so covers multiple positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Great win for the U21s. We do have quite a few creative, pacey wingers coming through. Our best bet going forward will be probably to ditch the 352 and revert back to a 433 to utilise the players we'll eventually having. Moran and Springett on the wings with Ferguson up top could be a real goer in few years time.

Great time to do it when you score the winner but we made tough work of what were the fourth seeds at home. Though Italy drew 0-0 away to Latvia so it's gonna be a tough group.

But even early in the first half Turkey looked weak out wide but didn't bring our wingers on until late in the second half. Springett didn't come on till the 84th minute replacing Sean Grehan who was the 3rd CB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

People have been talking about putting money in to grass roots and academies for decades and it never comes to pass, and never will.

The simple reason being that the FAI will never have enough money to do it, and it's not because they are paying "blazers" too much, it's because they can never generate enough income to do it.

I've said it before here.

For all the soccer fans in this country they spend feck all on Irish soccer, and the FAI see very little of their cash.

Soccer fans spend it on English or Scottish merch, Sky subs, etc etc.

So the FAI just can't generate enough income themselves to develop the grass roots and will continue to rely on the UK and Europe to develop talent.

And because of that the remit of the international manager should be to find the best Irish and Irish qualified players and turn them into a team that is competitive a few times a year.

Not an easy ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Ha. His most recent job actually was in Cyprus with Omonia Nicosia. They won the Cup and then the following season got through an EL qualifier 4-0 on aggregate v Gent and had respectable showings v Man United and Real Sociedad in the Group stage. Yes he’s had ups and downs in his managerial career, that season you’re referring to (again) a bad season that I remember with much dread as a Celtic fan. However there was also highs like Celtic beating a great Barcelona team in 2012 with Messi Iniesta and Xavi Hernandez in their pomp and qualifying out of that CL group. You just want to dwell on the lows to suit your rather ill informed view.

Listen horse, I don’t even know if he’d be in the running for the job by the time the FAI decide to dispense with Stephen Kenny. Not sure the FAI could afford his salary. While Lennon has had ups and downs as a manager and I’m not suggesting him as the only candidate, he would definitely be an upgrade on the current manager in terms of past experience and achievements on their CV and posters were asking who would be realistic candidates to replace Stephen Kenny.

Who would you suggest Faugheen? A reasonable suggestion that the FAI could entice and afford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I see that Lisa Fallon has gone very short on the next Women's manager (I nearly left out the word women) - someone must have heard whispers.

She will be good at the media stuff anyway, that much seems effortless to her. Plus has no bother talking tactics.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Lisa Fallon would be a good choice for the women's. She knows her stuff.

Also, the u21s tonight was good Friday night tv watch. Enjoyed that.

Ryan Manning, Mikey Johnston, and Will Smallbone are the other three.

So the full list of the 18 debuts under Kenny is:

Idah, Molumby, O'Shea, Knight, Bazunu, McGrath, Kelleher, Ogbene, Omobamidele, Collins, Keane, Hamilton, Ferguson, Sykes, Ebosele, Johnston, Manning, Smallbone

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

I wouldn't be as down on Lennon as others but I'd still have misgivings as his record outside of his first spell with Celtic wouldn't inspire hugely. Even his spell in Cyprus ended with a sacking after losing to newly promoted clubs despite as you say decent performances in the group stages of the Europa League and an excellent result to qualify for the group stages in the first place (which sounds very similar to Dundalk's European run in 2016 under Stephen Kenny oddly). I wouldn't say no entirely to Lennon but I would check what other options are available before committing to him.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Alright I’ll take that mistake, but it doesn’t take away from the fact that he is a crap manager. If we judge managers by one-off games then we should never have sacked O’Neill.

And I don’t know who the answer is. I don’t throw managers names out there for the craic without thinking about it.

A couple of potentials that it might be a bit too early for is John O’Shea or Paul McShane. The latter in particular is thought to be highly rated as a coach at United.

If you’re looking for someone right now, Vladimir Petkovic? He did a good job with Switzerland and had them playing good stuff. Whether the FAI could afford him is another matter.

Looking at the Bookies odds, I don’t see anyone there who is either realistic or the direction we should be going in.

Ha ha, when you see someone stating their opinion as “fact” then you know they’re struggling.

You really do cherry pick what suits you don’t you. When I mentioned a famous win v Barcelona I wasn’t suggesting I was judging him on that one game, they qualified out of that Group with Spartak Moscow and Benfica also in it. Which one-off game are you judging Martin O’Neills entire 20 plus year managerial career on? Silly stuff.

Perhaps it’s best to come back to this when there’s actually a vacancy. If and when it happens it’ll be funny if Lennon is linked just to watch your reaction.

He did well with Hibs, got them promoted and then into Europe. In the second spell at Celtic it started well topping an EL Group with home and away wins v Lazio. I’d have misgivings myself re Neil Lennon but to describe him as a “crap” manager as the other poster does given his longevity and the results he had is just silly stuff.

l didn’t bring him up by the way, someone else did and then Faugheen went off on one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,713 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Collins is arguably a better footballer than some of the midfielders. It's why it's he in particular gets recommended.

Even for the seniors you've Ogbene whose a starter and best position is RW. While Mikey Johnson is injured you've got him at LW. Mark Sykes was impressive last weekend for Bristol playing RW and Festy is another lad who should be playing on the wing and will be wasted playing deeper.

Was missing last night but new lad with the U21s Tyler Goodrham has had a good start to the season with Oxford ( 3G, 1A) in their opening six matches. Gonna need some of those U21 FBs to push on though cause what the senior team don't have is any FBs worth talking about.

If Lennon gets the job I will back him to the hilt, which is a lot more than can be said for many people in this thread over the last 3 years who were demanding Kenny be sacked immediately because they’re so short-sighted they’re looking backwards.

I always back the team no matter what, and I’ll always give a manager a fair crack.

Kenny, imo, should have always been given to this campaign to get things going because of the amount of young lads he had to bring through and attempt to get them up to the standard of International football in a short space of time.

Only four players who started against France did so for Mick McCarthy’s last game against Denmark (arguably 2, possibly 3 wouldn’t have started against France if everyone is fit). That is a huge turnaround in four years.

However, it hasn’t worked out (with some bad luck thrown in there) and he will likely go at the end of this campaign. I have always said since day 1 that the next appointment is crucial. We can’t go back to the Stone Ages of MON, Trap etc. The game has moved on and we’re already behind.

BTW, you asked me for my thoughts on potential appointments and then you just completely ignored them. That’s called having a discussion in bad faith. I’ve answered your questions and held my hand up when I made an error. I would expect that when I have done so that it’s at least discussed.

What are your thoughts on Petkovic as a potential successor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The amount of credit Kenny gets for "blooding youth" is comically overinflated aswell. Granted its the only thing that can be attempted to be used as a positive but its really exagerated.

Its not like he has dropped in their prime 27 year old's like Jeff Hendrick, David Forde, Shane Long, Glenn Whelan, Richard Keogh, Robbie Brady to turn to the future.

By chance a large glut of regulars aged out at a time where we had a hape of young defenders and a few promising forwards. Kenny just got lucky, in reality he is doing what all managers have done and is just picking the best available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Some truth in that. But there is the example of Ogbene. Playing wing back at the time for Rotherham and Kenny caps him as an attacking winger. McCarthy would never have done that as he wouldn’t have had the knowledge. That’s what Kenny should get praise for, not every first cap he’s handed out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Scotland could be playing League 2 players in the team with Robertson, McGinn, Tierney, McTominay and Gilmour and they’d be in a better position than us.

They have absolutely got a bit of a golden generation going on and it makes no sense for us to be comparing our crop to them.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

He might well be grand in possession, but out of possession is where it becomes a massive risk/problem throwing someone into a key position they’ve zero experience in, especially one as difficult and tactically complicated and important as CM. And unfortunately Ireland will spend a lot of the game out of possession so someone really going to get exposed there.

With three at the back he already has the freedom to step out with the ball anyway, so the risk/reward doesn’t really work out.

I think the criticism of Molumby and Cullen’s level relative to the rest of the team is harsh anyway.

There is an ongoing trend among the kinds of people who watch football primarily to be entertained, that midfielders tend to become the scapegoat when same people decide they want to have a strongly held opinion to discuss in the pub/online. Eg. Fred, McTominay, Henderson, Xhaka, Hendrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

The lack of context around that Tweet is ridiculous. Just saying "PL players" could mean they are contracted to a PL team, anywhere within the division, and may pay always/never/occasionally. There's a big difference in quality between a load starting every week for Liverpool and a lad sitting on the bench at Luton.

Scotland starting PL players last night for:

Liverpool - guaranteed starter

United - squad player

Aston Villa - guaranteed starter

Brighton - regular starter this season

Brentford - regular starter

Real Sociedad (on loan from Arsenal)

Ours on Thursday:

Sheff Utd - captain guaranteed starter

Brentford - not a guaranteed starter

Burnley - guaranteed starter

Luton - squad player yet to start a game

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭trashcan

Not to mention Jeff Kenna at Pats. Still gives me the shudders !

• Advertisement

At the weekend we’re going to go up against a team with starters from Bayern, City, Barca, Liverpool, Inter etc also and people are still going to treat it as a blotch against Kenny’s copybook when we likely don’t win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It mainly stems from the fact our existing CM options just keep getting exposed anyway. Hence all the potshots from range we keep conceding. Since Whelan left we dont have a natural defensive midfielder. Thus theres that large hole between the defence and the midfield where the opposition get time to take their shot while a CB (or two) desperately rush forward trying to fling themselves at the ball to block the shot while the midfielders are scampering backwards.

If Ireland had any of those non Irish players listed were in the Irish midfield, they would immediately be the star Irish midfielder IMO. Talked up to hilt.

Hendrick was a funny had a great Euros under MON, faded a bit, then was played off the striker by Dyche in some games for tactical reasons - everyone in Ireland thought grand. But then he really regressed again, and clubs had a job to get sell him on, or get rid of him. I don't know what happened him at all had glimpses of promise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Ah, long time since I've heard Jeff Van Damme mentioned. Good memories.

Feels like you’ve really missed the point there to be honest, whether intentionally or unintentionally. Because, yes I’d consider it a given that Liverpool and United players are judged by a different standard to Ireland ones.

So many low points that year but also some great European results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭trashcan

True, but certainly gives the lie to the notion that any old ex pro could do a good job in the LOI. I think Duff is doing well btw, and I wouldn’t rule him out of the Ireland job. I’d certainly take him in a heartbeat over some of the options mentioned.

And there is a clear gap of players in their prime years in the middle of those aging players and the young crop coming through.

Its amazing how people seem to just ignore that. That’s the fault of previous regimes. John Egan had 8 caps before Kenny came in (he was nearly 28 then). That is an absolute disgrace when you look at the average dross that was getting regular game time over him because bang average managers were scared to give lads like Egan (who was playing at a similar level to the likes of Keogh and Duffy for years) a chance.

Egan is nearly 31 now and has 35 caps, only 20-odd more than the likes of Bazunu, Collins, O’Shea and Molumby. Criminal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭Killed

5 Tickets together in 506 for Dutch game, family can't go. €100 for them. Can take PayPal. PM if interested.

Seems like just more of the same excuses, the 'blooding players' gives Kenny a complete pass argument. He has not moulded them properly in my opinion. Staunton did not get a free pass in his tenure, Mick 1.0 was under severe pressure when he did an overhaul after Big Jack etc.

But for some made reason the Irish fans just kept giving Kenny more rope each game, and many now blame not Kenny, but other factors - it is mad.

Ireland plays well when they play against better sides because Ireland is forced to sit back, any eejit of a manager can sit back. Christ Michael O'Neill did that in Euro 2016 and qualified for the competition off the back of doing it properly and consistently - with the mighty Northern Ireland.

Many of whose players got damn all club game time and played at a much lower level than many of the current ROI lads. It has never been easier to qualify for International tournaments, the powers that be are falling over themselves to have more qualifying spots all the time. But yet Ireland are still miles off that.

Where Kenny has really being shown up is when his side was supposed to take the initiativeand put this great philosophy of the way he 'sees football' in place.

I just hope the next manager (whoever it maybe) does not become 'darling of the media' without having justified it. A media who buys into spoofing about some new 'philosophy' that clearly does not suit the players available, basically becomes a propaganda wing of the manager.

Instead just set the team up (with the players available) and play in a manner which gives the team the best chance of getting results based on those players abilities. That is what good managers do. Use what they have, in manner where they get the maximum out of them while covering weakness. Grand you are not going to win every game, but at least beat the teams you should be beating, and then beat them consistently. Developing from there to maybe nicking points from the better sides etc

None of this spoofing about the future of Irish football, that we have had for the last three years. I can't believe how many fell for that stuff. I was sick of listening to that. It was most blatant framing of a narrative by the Irish media that I have ever seen. I am not sure did the fans drive the media? Or if the media drove the fans?

I suppose the good thing to come out of it is there might be less tolerance for managers spoofing for a while, after Kenny leaves.

Besides Ogbene which Kenny deserves credit for, he should also get credit for lowering the Irish fanbase's tolerance for spoofing. I don't want to hear constant mental gymnastics spinning results into positives. That became a joke aspect of Kenny's tenure. Easy to mimic.

Kenny made Noel King seem Churchillian, and a tactical genius in comparison.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement