Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FRA vs NZ - Match d'ouverture de la coupe du monde de rugby 2023

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Someone posted a video in the last couple of days in one of these threads about the data supporting cohesion being a big factor in success... Didn't get a chance to watch the full thing, but interesting stuff:

https://youtu.be/dH7WGZNQ31Q?si=o0SC0jRhky_kNNeX

French errors kept NZ in it. But the total dominance up front told.

NZ are very ordinary, we need to take that into account with regards our wins in 2022. Yes we beat France in the Spring and I hope we bring that form into the WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

On the bright side…NZ made some lovely kicks, e.g. the cross-kick for the try and multiple chips behind the French back line. France’s fitness was first rate. They tackled their hearts out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭ersatz

I watched a NZ doc about the fallout from the Irish series and then redemption when the team went to SA and won in Ellis Park which saved Foster’s job. Interviews w Ardie, Cane, Smith and a few others talked about rallying around the coach and supporting him to the point where immediately after arriving back in NZ the whole team met the union boss to argue for fosters retention. Admirable loyalty but nowhere did anyone talk about WHY Foster should be retained other than loyalty. It was obvious that the players felt responsible bauble and guilty that foster was getting fired because they hadn’t delivered.

Fair play to them but you’d hope at that stage someone in the room would say, hang on, maybe a new coach would help. Literally nothing about him being a good coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Using the Samoa game for any argument for or against the progress or lack there of of this Irish team is largely pointless. It was a scratch team. If we were forced to put that team out against any tier one team, we're goosed before the game begins, so there's no point in even bringing it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭ersatz

NZ aren’t consistently good like they used to be but are still capable of beating anyone on a day. They just won the RC fairly convincingly, got pumped in twickenham and again today but they’ll still hand out dune bearings in this comp. Irelands series win was impressive for coming back after that first test. Going ahead and then being comprehensively demolished like that is hard to recover from but they did.

I agree wholeheartedly.

I'm sick of the same rubbish every 4 years. We never got past the quarter final and didn't get to the QF in 1999 and 2007. We have ZERO history in this competition.

I'll be accused of wanting Ireland to lose, being negative etc. I want Ireland to do well, but one game at a time.

SA are a big worry. They're huge men in their pack with a reserve pack equally as good. Add in injuries and cards and those variables make it silly to make predictions with confidence.

On to Romania tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

They also have pretty poor halfbacks, likely missing their best center, and have struggled to create scoring opportunities when they opposition doesn't gift them penalties

But they can bully us. And dealing with them in an Autumn International is different than a WC. 3/7 World Cups entered won. They perform well in this competition. Even after Japan caught them on the first day out in 2015 they got to the semi and lost by 2 pts to the ABs.

The way we look on Scotland for 20 years, that we can dominate them, I'm sure they feel similarly to us, when it really counts. See what team we have by that game and how we're going. If we lose a few first choice forwards, like pre Argentina in 2015, it's going to be very difficult.

I prefer keeping the head down and being really cautious and focused on every game. We haven't earned the right to be in any way cocky at WCs. Scotland, 1991, Wales 1987 and 2011, even got to semi finals.

Edit: I'm a huge Ireland fan, my first memories were as a 5 year old when we won the 1982 Triple Crown. I'm not WUM ing or any rubbish. Just want cool heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Gone are the days where if you bend but don't break against them you'll still more than likely lose and less teams are breaking now. Of course they can beat anyone on their day especially Ireland but they need upsets in other games in their favour to win it out a this rate..beating both France and SA enroute looks beyond them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Pass to Telea was fine. What officials missed was how Papalii entered the ruck from the side, clearing Villiere who has hands on the ball. TMO should, because a score resulted, have reviewed. Tom Foley under instructions not to intervene ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭typhoony

With SA the reality is that what they lack in skills they can make for in power with which they should be able to control the game against us. Playing them in a WC is very different challenge to any other time

That’s interesting - completely different to the lines I come out with about the importance of individual talent..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

They've also benefited from some soft draws too. They weren't particularly good in the last WC. They struggled past an average Wales team, and played a great game against England.

They're a good team, but I don't fear us playing them. We've beaten them plenty of times and were a terrible pass by Paddy Jackson away from winning a series there. No team has physically dominated us under Farrell, and I don't see it starting now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Delighted to France win! Still think that they're the team to beat.

They won the last WC. They did what we had to do. Playing them in a WC is a different kettle of fish.

As Mayo are to winning All Irelands in football we are to achieving in Rugby World Cups. You couldn't have confidence in us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Any one else think that N.Z. have not adjusted to the new rules/T.M.O. observation that applies to the modern game ,in the last few years? I would back them as favourites to take a card ,in a game, over any other international side.

The dark arts of old / officialdoms mesmerisation by the jersey-those days are gone for the all blacks. They are struggling to handle the new dispensation., I believe that they will at least give up a yellow, if not a red, against any top 5/6 team. I think outside the top six they are still as likely to fcuk up with at least a yellow but maybe get away with it on the scoreboard.

No, they're just not good enough. France will win the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

There seems to be very little squad depth in their forwards IMO. That's why I never rated them to win the WC. Retallick, frizell, Lomax to come back prior to the QF could be telling but at this I'd back Ireland to squeeze them up front.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

SA are average size. People just think they're huge for some reason

If in doubt take advice from players past and present

Here’s one guy whose bigness is not an illusion. France’s replacement hooker, Peato Mouvaka, who made such an impressive sprint down the touchline after he came on, is listed as 6 ft and 273 pounds on wiki.

Was Jalibert guilty of a little overacting at 44.44? He made a chip kick, collided with an AB, assumed a comatose position on the field for a few seconds, then rose miraculously to his feet and made a monster kick for touch. That soccer virus is everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

the official rugby World Cup website has him at 116kg, or 18st 3lbs (255lbs).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Papalii runs in support of Jordan. Jordan is tackled without passing. Papalii has overrun him, he is now in an offside position. He then enters the ruck without ever coming back inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭OldRio

In all fairness when they start introducing props to their little dance it's all a bit silly. IMHO of course.

Anyway both teams will improve After that match. I wouldn't be writing any of those two off after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭HBC08

We'll likely never see a straight red again but so what?

If its a red it'll be still called as such by the bunker.

It also eliminates a ref getting it wrong when he gave a red and it should have been a yellow.It speeds the game up aswell,no endless TMO decisions.

It's a great system.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Obvious Reds will still get carded.

The whole idea of the bunker is to remove the necessity of 2-3 minute on field reviews to come to a decision on the non obvious stuff

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Are you questioning the dancing feet of our front row brethren? I'll set Tadhg on you!

Advertisement