Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

I can imagine that was the case. Then again, if they even attempted to interact with anyone, I'm sure most wouldn't want anything further to do with them after they opened their mouths and started ranting about their religious beliefs and whatever perceived injustice was annoying them on that particular day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭francois

Oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭Shoog

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭apache

He'll be straight into the cushy Progression unit like last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,630 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Coercive detention for an indefinite period until he purges his contempt, that was what the BL for the school asked for when addressing the court before Enoch was sent to prison last year.

Incidentally, the judge who released Enoch from prison back then mentioned the cost to the state of keeping Enoch in prison while he was being paid by the Dept of Education at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It's like Groundhog day - whatvdate was the went in last year? Must be close.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Christmas #NO.1- The AULD Triangle - by the Burke Family Choir! It will pay off any "Debts" accrued and embarrass the State!

This whole schemozzle has been handled very badly. I'm starting to feel sorry for Enoch (and the inmates of the Joy) But, a cream pie into the face of Authority- well, the Irish get a kick out of that kinda stuff!

There has to be some sort of hit song that comes out of all this, surely? If not, we've become too serious for our own good. State reaction to the Burkes is irritating me more than the Burkes.

Let Enoch stand outside the school as long as he likes. The kids will measure their days in school by his presence.

Grandad-" Arrah, I knew the lad when he was fresh faced"

Grandchild (years later) - " Enoch looks like he is fading now grandpa"

Grandad - "Arrah ,poor old Enoch-be nice to him-he made our school the most secure in the country. With himself guarding the gate - and the media guarding him and the gate-'twas the safest school in Ireland, loveen."

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Really? You think teaching the future citizens of the state that they too can disrespect the courts, ignore the laws they don’t want to follow and it’s all a bit of fun… Society can’t function like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Or teaching them that sometimes one must stand firm in a non violent manner for one's beliefs and the idea of verbs mea cogitationes meae.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The freak can stand firm in a jail cell. His creepy carry on has been indulged for far too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,691 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Contempt of court is the foundation on which the legal system is built. To allow continued breaches of a court order brings the law into disrepute. The principle of respect for the law is higher than Burke's own personal principles. He actively chose to breach the law rather than protest in a legal way. He should not be supported in his willful breaking of the law of contempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I was thinking that last night. If they just left him there then what’s to stop some other creep hanging around a school (or anywhere else that they’re not wanted) and saying “sure Enoch can do it so why can’t I?”

• Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭looksee

But he didn't 'stand firm in a non-violent manner'. Guns, knives and fists are not the only forms of violence. If anyone who had a difference with their boss about anything, not just religious matters, got their way by roaring and shouting and disturbing everyone else's peace then life would be chaotic.

I do agree he is brainwashed and the whole family needs help, but again, you can't impose 'help' on people who do not want it, not until they are seriously out of control. In his case you would be getting dangerously close to the re-education methods of repressive regimes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oddly , a long time in prison might just give Enoch the time and perspective to consider his lot, and whether his family and their teaching has been a net positive in his life. Much is said of recidivism but incarnation can allow cause some proper reflection on one's life. Enforced detachment grom the Burkes might help.

Course, it could also make him 3 times the evangelical extremist so it's a bit Kill or Cure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,630 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

The problem is that Enoch is not. on the evidence given by the school, satisfied to stand in protest outside the gates contrary to the court order, he also enters the school grounds and the school buildings proper where the classrooms are as well. That entry is also against the court order which he was in receipt of.

It's probably time that his case was given the attention of one particular high court judge and not whichever judge was sitting on the day the case came back before the high court.

I'm not sure if a 40 day spell alone in the desert would allow him to wake up with a clearer vision of life's realities, except if he was given psychiatric assistance during his time in prison.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Sadly I don't think there is much hope for the guy... According to Wiki, the guy went to college, got two degrees, one in history and politics. And through all that somehow managed to avoid having the edges knocked of him.

The Burke's are life as performance art.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And thankfully we've moved on from that reductive and dismissive mentality that thinks words don't have the power to hurt, cause depression, suicidal thoughts at their worst.

The world literally runs on words, and the power of what is said why it's said and how it's said. "Sticks and stones" is a garbage aphorism.

And frankly think you're messing considering you just chided someone for saying "freak"

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Carefully worded there calling it non violent. Its not a "peaceful protest" with all his shouting and screaming, the families shouting and screaming, his trespassing on school grounds.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It wouldn't surprise me if in 20 years Burke is still in Mountjoy refusing to purge contempt.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭lmao10

I said it before, those kids are a different breed. I'd like to have been a fly on the wall during their upbringing. Enoch will be in and out of prison for life and it won't bother him at all.

Due to the cost to the taxpayer, this whole set up of home schooling needs to be seriously looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,002 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The court heard the school had tried to raise matters with An Garda Síochána but were told by gardaí that it was a civil matter. 

I presume this teenager will be suing the state for wrongful arrest so.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's a civil matter because he's technically still an employee there so the ability of the Gardai to remove him isn't tied to simple trespass etc.

The sooner the hearing on his formal sacking takes place the better.

Then, the school can get a barring order and him turning up at the school becomes a criminal matter and not just civil or contempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I'm no mental health expert but there seems to be something very very wrong with that entire family.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It has already been stated numerous times in this thread butysome posters seemingly cannot resist trying to make this thread about transgenderism. It is about Burke, his behaviour and the consequences of that behaviour. Stick to the topic or expect to be threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭John arse

I’d say they’d be great fun at a party?🥳🕺💃🍻🥂🍷

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭Damien360

If there was ever evidence that your childhood experiences from your parents shape you for the rest of your life, then this is it. Terrible shame because clearly they are all extremely intelligent. An awful legacy for a mother to leave her children.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

There are only two explanations I see for his continued behaviour:

1. He's batshit crazy
    2. This is all part of a grand master plan where he eventually and successfully sues the state for his "wrongful" incarcerations, to the tune of millions of euros.

• Advertisement

He is making a "moral stand" which is outside of normal behaviour.

Advertisement