Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭enricoh

Seem to be integrating fairly well over the pond in Luton. I've no doubt the local cricket club got a spin bowler or two out of it as well!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V4gN3aYq2dU&t=50s&pp=ygUZc3RhY2V5IGRvb2xleSBpc2xhbSBtYXJjaA%3D%3D

If you brought up this subject 15 years ago in Sweden, it would be dismissed as fear mongering.

One of the most open countries in the world now has a right wing government! After filling their boots with refugees in the last decade they now have done a complete u turn.

Now let's stop looking at how other EU countries got on n plough on regardless. Any naysayers are fear mongers, waysist etc etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭pauly58

I see in The Times this morning that EU members are seeking a UK Rwanda style model to fix the asylum crisis, perhaps there is a hope yet. This comes after Belgium have refused single men asylum.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Given according to you with the usual hyper exaggerated histrionic fashion I have "20,000 anti immigrant posts" it's amazing that you clearly haven't read them, but translated what you have read and think I've written heavily filtered by your own all too slanted worldview. A worldview on a subject that takes up a far greater percentage of posts than mine and one that sees any question of the barely examined credo as a near blasphemy.

I've repeatedly stated I'm not anti migration. I fully support legal migration with sensible controls that are mindful of both the native and migrant populations. I am against laissez-faire, sure it'll be grand, importation of further and different social problems to existing ones based on a simplistic multiculturalist politic that clearly doesn't survive much examination as the boon it claims to be, not least for those diasporas that do worse under it.

And those folks will face challenges and have done long before the internet came along and in every "multicultural" nation with it and already are here barely two decades into our own go at this sociopolitical experiment.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

We have a very leaky sink and have done for decades, but turning up the taps is hardly a solution. It's adding to the problem. Considering successive government failures to fix those leaks it's unlikely to change any time soon, but the water keeps on flowing and government is opening the taps.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭crusd

1.6% of the population and only growing slowly. In the 6 years from 2016 to 2022 the Islamic population increased by just 21,000. Less than 10% of the increase in population. Great to create alarm though.

And in the face of evidence of integration in Ireland you counter with evidence from another country. The UK having massive problems in old industrial cities across a broad range of demographics due to 40 year policies that have eroded their economic base. A large number of Muslims immigrated to Luton from Pakistan from the 60's and 70's to work in the massive Vauxhall plant which employed over 12,000 people in the town. This is now about 900. The British government did not do anything to address the mass deprivation that resulted. The children and now grandchildren of those immigrants were left with no hope of anything other than zero hour contracts and zero job security. Disillusionment pushed many towards their mosque and this coincided with some mosques being radicalised by Saudi funded Wahhabists. The Luton plant also had a large number of Irish, however due to an improved economic situation here many were able to return to Ireland. My own father was one of them. Still deprivation among Irish in the area continued and continues to be an issue.

The cause of the radicalisation in the UK is not just islam, but also the disillusion people faced due to socio-economic deprivation. Look at who are the most deprived groupings in the UK for a better understanding.

It does not excuse radicalism but does explain why parts of the UK were so badly impacted.

The same issues also impacted other cities with mainly white populations. Parts of Wales and the North East particularly badly, and these also have high crime, no go areas and issues with radicalisation - more towards the Nationalist variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Yep, I dont see SF taking any different approach on immigration.

The issue SF have (if they get into govt) is they will need to reduce the social housing list in ireland, as thats one of their core commitments and has been for years.

So given that they wont be able to increase new build construction significantly in the short term, for various reasons, they will effectlvley have the same supply coming on stream as FFG would have had, over the next 2 years or so, at least.

The current govt are already handing over large amounts of social housing from private new builds (part 5 and then govt is buying a large remainder of the housing stock for social) so what else can SF do to reduce the social housing list quicker?

And even if they do manage it, it will be to the detriment of the working folks that dont qualify for social housing. Ironically, the wame folks that seem intent on voting for them.

Turkeys voting for xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

A breakdown of that 240 k of 2022 Pps numbers ..

40 k to Irish births , 68.5 k to Ukrainians , 12.5 to UK citizens , 140k to Europeans ,

Australians , Canadians, Chinese , Brazilians and so on .

The number of PPS numbers given to AS who were granted refugee status or permission to remain was around 10 k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I am not sure what point you are trying to make.

We are in the immigration thread.

If your figures are true then 40k out of 240k were irish births.

There was some non integration with a refugee in Sligo last year with a couple of beheadings. Any good news integration story is to be welcomed n promoted endlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,063 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Culture is always in a flux of change and adaptation though; Irish culture used to firmly oppose divorce, contraception, abortion, homosexuality for example

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Yes and we progressed as a country and things are good now.

Some people want us to import people who in some countries support a culture where women have no rights and homosexuals fear for there life.

Some people want to see the country go back to the bad days.

Maybe these people would be best moving to those countries to teach them about our culture before they come here with a culture that doesn't align with theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭crusd

Ah, so the muslims who integrate into local GAA are not good enough so they dont count is it?

If anything, participation at a low level is a bigger indication of integration rather than elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Which countries and cultures though?

And why assume people from such countries agree with those attitudes?

Yes. My post was a breakdown of those numbers. That link is paywalled btw.

My point?

That many are coming to work from Europe and other jurisdictions where Irish people go to work also.

Its reciprocated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

There was a record flow of refugees into Europe between 2014 and 2016...War in Syria, insurgencies in Iraq and Afghanistan...etc

2014 to 2015

Number of asylum applications in Sweden 2013 t0 2015,

2013 54,259

2014 81,301

2015 162,877

Number of asylum applications in Ireland 2013 t0 2015

2013 946

2014 1,448

2015 3,276

So to claim that Ireland, with a Muslim population of just 1.62%, is heading in a direction that would be "similar to what we're starting to see in Hamtramck" is fearmongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Sinn Fein are in a very strange position. Many of their supporters view them as an anti-establishment party but hold decidedly un-left wing opinions themselves. It's almost as if they are slightly baffled that the party would be pro-immigration and pro-refugee, when it's the only logical stance for them given their history and position on social justice issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Yes. Trying to get a SF voter to explain why they are voting for SF is a very difficult task.

The only awful answer i ever hear is, "well they cant be any worse than the current lot"

Ermmm.....Yes, they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

And a lot of cultures still believe in all of that, including many now immigrating to Europe in large numbers,it's possible as seen in the US in the last few years freedoms can get rolled back depending on who and what gets into positions of power

Yeah, but who, in the main, are responsible for the rollback of those rights in recent years in the US?

Grand Old Party conservative bible thumpers.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

But anyone can explain why not to vote for FFG. They no longer even pretend to care whenever confronted with direct disagreement from voters e.g. migration and hate speech.

Simply put, voting for FFG is a form of self-abuse. Remember you don't need to have a new partner to justify leaving an abusive relationship :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭Francis McM

It is not that long since the Muslim population of England, and France, and Holland, and Sweden, was just 1.62%, now now it is many times that, and increasing rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Almost a tenth of babies and toddlers in England and Wales are Muslim, so there is a large shift in the demographic trend in England and Wales, compared to a generation or two ago. In Sweden the percentage is even higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

The Irish Times itself creates division by encouraging its readers to take up race-and-gender bickering.

Post edited by growleaves on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

The post you're quoting shows why Ireland's Muslim population is not increasing rapidly and is unlikely to. At a time of a record flow of asylum seekers into Europe, between 2014 and 2016, compare the number that came here to the amount that went to Sweden. Plus, unlike the UK and France we do not have former colonies that are predominantly Muslim countries.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement