Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2023 - General Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Oak Park 27c at 1600.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭pauldry

Even though the cloud has rolled in to the West its still very humid here. 19 20c feels much warmer. Was hoping tonight would be a cooler one but no a couple more nights of 16c. Even Monday to Thursday don't look very bad now but increasingly stormy for week 3 as the exhurricanes begin their journeys. I'd hazard a guess at another insane warm spell to end the month but that's a pure guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

a thunderstorm just south of Enniscorthy has suddenly developed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,200 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A good chance of thunderstorms tomorrow away from the W/NW

Status Yellow - Thunderstorm warning for Carlow, Dublin, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Wexford, Wicklow, Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary, Waterford

• Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Localised thunderstorms/slow-moving heavy downpours giving frequent lightning and surface water-flooding.
    • Valid: 06:00 Sunday 10/09/2023 to 00:00 Monday 11/09/2023
    • Issued: 15:30 Saturday 09/09/2023

Status Yellow - Thunderstorm warning for Cavan, Monaghan, Clare, Galway, Leitrim, Roscommon, Longford, Louth, Meath, Offaly, Westmeath

• Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Localised thunderstorms/slow-moving heavy downpours giving frequent lightning and surface water-flooding.
    • Valid: 12:00 Sunday 10/09/2023 to 00:00 Monday 11/09/2023
    • Issued: 15:30 Saturday 09/09/2023

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

• Advertisement

It's so cold today 😫 21c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

What an amazing day. Went out for a stroll wearing my favourite shorts and a yellow tee and headed to a shopping centre to get some stuff. It was nice to get out of the heat for a while.

When it cools down later, I will pop out for a 99.

More warnings ⚠️ issued till 9pm ,can people please try take videos if you can I love thunderstorms 😍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Absolutely unbelievable day for any time of the year let alone September.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭moeblogs

A couple of shots from Woodstown beach Waterford around 4...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

Bye Bye heatwave Sept 2023, you were outstanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭acequion

Noticeably cooler this evening in Tralee, had to get a cardigan. Lovely all day until the cloud and fog started to roll in around 5.30 PM. I guess this is the beginning of the end.😓

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I took the kids pool out of the shed last weekend and the wife and kids laughed at me. I filled on Monday and they laughed again. I fixed the puncture in it on Tue and refilled it again on Wed morning and guess what they all did.. laughed at me again.

They weren't laughing on Thurs/Fri and Sat... oh wait actually they spent the whole time laughing in the pool.

What a week, thank you sun God's.

Definitely not cooler here in Dublin, in fact tonight feels like the warmest night yet, all windows open in house and not a whiff of a breeze, ah well I'm sure it's the last warm night anyway.

Fairplay sparrowcar, that was good planning we didnt get around to filling the paddling pool, its a bit of an ordeal, but improvised with babys bath, water guns and garden hose!

And of course copious amounts of ice cream.

It's the simple things in life that keep the kids happy!

Well that warm/hot spell was unreal and what a way to start autumn after 7 weeks of rain 🌧 wasn't warm here at all today I know Dublin ,carlow and kilkenny was the warmest today with 27c , thunderstorms tomorrow 😀 I honestly think last minute orange warnings could be issued for midland areas tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

stunning day again in Dublin. While it hit 26 degrees today, I actually thought it felt hotter here than yesterday. what an amazing week or two of weather, you just cant beat it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,929 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Another muggy night. Thank goodness this will be over soon:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

Just had a shower outside (solar shower but had to top it up with a kettle of boiling water as it had got quite cool). Never thought I'd have a shower outdoors at night in Ireland in September! This afternoon and evening were just bliss in Longford. Mid 20s so in no way too warm. Was just nice. The bit of humidity helped it feel a bit warmer than it was although it was not calm which was a bit annoying but I'm not complaining. Got loads of outdoor work done today, loyalty from the crack of dawn.

I'm already missing this lovely weather before it's even fully gone. Fingers crossed it's goes out with a bang!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Very little talk about the humidity last few days. Surely it's at record levels and is the main issue rather than temps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I think it's pretty noteworthy that this is the third year in a row Ireland has seen official heatwave conditions - 5 consecutive days with a maximum temp above 25C: July 2021, August 2022 and September 2023. October 2024 heatwave anyone? 😜

That hasn't happened before. Had consecutive heatwave conditions in July 2005 and July 2006. That's it. The well renown epic Irish summer of 1995 had as much as 3 individual heatwaves in the same summer.

Each of the heatwaves I've named recently from 2021-2023 have been some of my favourite times in weather with many mornings, days and evenings out enjoying the stunning weather uplifting the mood giving it a big boost.

I thank you September 2023 for this superb week, particularly after July and to some extent August 2023 which the less said the better! To conclude, here's a collage of some of the pics I've taken during the past week from last Saturday to yesterday Friday. Sunrise and sunset today were a bit worse but went to the zoo and it felt very warm.

I stepped out for a late evening walk in Portlaoise, 20.5c. It's so pleasant, for me. I know everyone has differing opinions on their favourite weather. Things like health, age, mobility, depression sometimes come into it. I know some people find warm day and night temperatures hard if they suffer from depression. My late uncle did, and he found it really hard with everyone saying how much they were enjoying a warm spell, it made him feel worse hearing that and the expectation to be happy. Reactions to certain meds etc can have some of us over perspiring too, or we can over perspire from the heat alone. Changing shirts in work etc can be awkward. So while I thoroughly enjoyed the week I totally get people looking forward to normal September weather.

Very interesting post, as always sryan. You contribute so much here, keep it up! We'd have to break the October record of 25c 5 days in a row for 2024!

For the first night, i think it's the heat build up, I'm feeling it this evening!

Actually on second thought I'm going for the last week of June 2024!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

That's a pity. She had a unique way of expressing herself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

That was a remarkable spell of consecutive warm to hot days over a 9 day period. I think a few people thought I was going overbord with how average June was here in the east compared to the rest of the country but I wasn't. This spell of September warmth obliterated the June warm spell at least in the east in terms of sunshine, heat and dryness overall, unbroken blue skies and mid to high temperatures throughout. A remarkable spell of mid summer weather despite it been Autumn is most impressive and a September spell of heat I'll never forget. We couldn't get any better for this time of the year, the weather gods truly delivered and I'll remember the hot spell of September 2nd to 10th 2023 for the rest of my life, it was immense.

A query for all but definitely Sryan will know. This Met E quote seems incorrect. There weren't 2 September heatwaves in 1991.

From memory 25c was broken from 1-6 September 1991. From 7-15 you had some 22-23C days and then it got cooler after 17th or so. From my memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

It has been a lovely week of weather,even if it's too hot for me really. Definitely a much better spell of summer than what we had in Dublin in June. However I enjoyed that more, with the cool air we had. Was expecting rain this evening, but not a drop fell here.

Impossible to sleep tonight. Bedroom thermometer says 26C and 70% humidity. Windows are open but there's a party in the garden behind me where they're doing karaoke in Russian and have flashing disco lights on the patio, and another party a few doors up with a horde of teenagers listening to thumping "music". This September heatwave will definitely be one to remember for most people.

Advertisement