Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollywood labour disputes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I thought it was only current stuff they couldn't promote. I suppose if they talk about anything they've done in the past, it could encourage people to check it out.

Beauty & the Beast? 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

In the movie Enemy Of The State the bad guys want to use surveillance technology to scan people without their permission. "Credibility" said the megalomaniac played by Jon Voight. Killers went free because the eye witness was a homeless drunk. Credibility is what he tried to take from Will Smith. If the media machine is trying to destroy somebody's credibility it's usually to deflect and protect their own sides shady behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,600 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Zachary Levi following in Stephen Amell's footsteps and back tracking on his comments about the strikes being dumb.

He is a bit of a anti-vaxxer right winger so no surprise he is anti striker.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,461 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's funny that, so far, the only ones speaking out against the Strikes are... well, not exactly A List. Now, 2 actors ain't a huge sample size but you'd wonder if there are any anti strike big hitters (with the awareness to STFU and keep their opinions to themselves).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

David Zaslav has mentioned more rubbish to Variety in saying that the SAG-AFTRA strikes are saving his studio balance sheets to the tune of just over $100 million so far. This man's ways never gets old; doesn't it? He was always known to be a cost cutter and always will be when you look at what side he takes on this matter. Whenever he talks about money; he's truly tight fisted to the ninth degree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Considering they cancelled a bunch of stuff before this it's probably true.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,389 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I was wondering would SAG actors still be able to attend these events like comic con, but cannot talk about the roles which is the reason they are at comic con 😄 "so Linda what was marriage to James Cameron like?"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just reading the latest update

But was wondering how strict are things. Like while not allowed to go to work as such, can they still write scripts? I know last time we got Dr. Horrible.

So could they get in trouble if, for example, at the end of this they have scripts ready to go for an idea they came up with that they haven't been able to write due to being busy with other work? Or is it that they're just not allowed to actively write for a project they're currently attached to?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭Penn

They basically just can't do any work or promotion for studios who are part of the AMPTP (which would be the majority of the big studios). So something like Dr.Horrible that happened during the last strike, that was self-funded and produced and released on YouTube, and then I think after the strike it was sold to a studio for mass release, DVD etc.

There are projects still being filmed, but they're for studios like A24 who aren't part of the AMPTP and who are complying with the unions requests.

So writers can be writing projects & shows in the background if they want (ie. New movies, shows etc), they just can't engage with the struck studios on any of it. Though particularly for shows which would have writers rooms and showrunners etc, they can't go ahead as that would be actual work for a studio project. They're not supposed to be working on anything they've already been hired to work on for a studio.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'd imagine any writers working on their own stuff, or stuff they were passionate about would still have stuff kicking around in their heads, and maybe even get it down on paper while on strike. But they'd be keeping it to themselves.

I was reading this morning that Paddington 3 is still filming, Rachel Zeigler(sp?) is in it, but is the only SAGAFTRA actor in it, so they've just kept filming without her.

Also Heartstopper, which is on Netflix, but made by British/Australian production companies, is on track to start filming S3 in Sept/Oct, with the writer confirming she's been writing the scripts for it all summer. So nobody there is under SAGAFTRA/WGA rules, even if Netflix are one of the studios involved in the strikes.

So it's a messy situation, and without global solidarity, the streamers especially will probably be just fine. Even the big film studios could probably find an easy enough work around if they tried hard enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,682 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Can’t write on paid studio/network projects, can work anyway on their own personal projects. When this is over the market is going to be flooded with new scripts and pitches.

None studio projects aren't exempt from work bans, they still need a waiver. It's one of the things some of those striking are complaining about with how long the strike is going on is that these waivers are being readily given out even if some of these independent projects still have 10s of millions behind them through some big names.

As for non SAG WGA unions striking in solidarity outside the US a lot of countries have laws against that either outright or only allow it in certain circumstances.

Dune Pt2 has been pushed back from November to next March. Pretty much takes it out of any Oscar campaign.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,461 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm just grateful we're getting a Dune 2 sequel at all; and sure you never know, if it has good legs it might stay around in time for the following Oscars. If the sequel's FX and production design remain as strong it'll be a good contender for the technical awards anyway.

Yeah, I think the technical categories are more inclined to look beyond the small October - December window.

Plus, who knows what other big CGI films will actually come out next year, if any of them were still filming. Dune could end up being the only contender.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,954 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Gutted, I was really looking forward to Dune

That said, I completely support the strikes so I'll not moan

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

sounds like there wont be any agreement til early 2024. Its a funny kind of dispute, where the public doesnt really give a sh1t, the previous one there was probably more discussion becaue people noticed their late night TV being all reruns but now nobody would really notice.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Weirdly, it turns out ITV have a show called Deep Fake Neighbour Wars which seems the sort of thing that will actually help the general public understand the problem - it doesn't involve any of the people who are deepfaked into the show, and is relying on 'being parody' as a way to evade any legal consequence. I haven't seen it and don't know enough about English law to comment on the specifics, though - but it sounds like the kind of show where folk who know nothing about technology could see it and get a basic idea of the wider issues just from the dissonance of how the celebrities are presented, followed up by the realisation that it's not actually them...

• Registered Users Posts: 60,600 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

thats a bit of a reach for them, good way to put americans out of a job and have the work done somewhere else.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

There's been a lot of unionisation in gaming over the last year or two, and tbh conditions in that industry are appalling so unionisation and strikes are way overdue.

The Gaming industry is the closest modern, western society gets to sweat shops; collective bargaining is well overdue, and welcome. "Crunch" can go fúck off and If unions shephard if out the door in exchange for healthier, more equitable careers, brilliant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Can’t think of many creative industries more in need of broad unionisation and industrial action than video games. Some good albeit slow progress recently in some areas, hope it continues at pace and spreads to more roles ✊

Here's a good example of the value of residuals, and how streamers are screwing the creative folk behind shows: Supernatural was a Fantasy show that ran for 15 seasons, amassing quite a vocal and enthusiastic fanbase. Because of its success it's a natural fit for syndication and broadcasting on other networks - yet on Netflix, where it routinely ranks well, the show's creator hasn't seen a single dollar of residuals from Netflix. And that's the show's creator - you can presume actors and writers haven't seen anything if the prime creative force hasn't.

KRIPKE: I’ll give a perfect example. The residuals I get are from its airing on TNT, which you know, it gets a couple hundred thousand views. The Netflix streaming of Supernatural is consistently in the Top 10 for billions of minutes streamed. Part of that is because there’s so many episodes, but still, if you just go by how many people are spending minutes watching that show, it blows away Squid Game and blows away things that are massive hits, and I’ve gotten a total of zero residuals for that. No one should cry for me. I’m doing great. I’m not asking for any sympathy for that. I’m just pointing out the inequity.

"Eaten bread is soon forgotten" comes to mind , a streamer isnt earning additional revenue on any one show, though collectively 100's of old shows help keep some subscribers from leaving. Do streamers licence their content out to terrestrial TV at some stage? almost 30 years later the tv show Friends is no doubt still generating residuals and is probably being shown in a lot countries around the world today, whereas as streaming content it would have died on the vine decades ago.

Sag aftra got their asses handed to them for the last video game strike, 340 days and they eventually accepted practically the same deal they were offered in the first place and not any of the 3 big demands they had. At the time the percentage of projects that were even union was low and it's actually lower now, more moved to Texas and more to outside the US.

they are taking the Michael here, good luck with that, though it is California

• Registered Users Posts: 31,682 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It’s already in place in New York and New Jersey. Proper order tbh, hopefully it passes.

Yeah, seems a reasonable exception to benefit rules; collective action is an enforced stoppage of work by dint of the studios' malfeasance. It's nominally voluntary but also a point of no return for actors and writers.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Advertisement

its not a fight of good v evil , just 2 groups negotiating , on the face of it a lot of what they want is reasonable, but they have some unreasonable stuff in there too like requiring writers rooms to be overstaffed. California have managed to run an underfunded benefits scheme for decades so expanding the scheme from people who lose their job to people refusing to work isnt right either but as im not a Californian taxpayer meh

Advertisement