Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nature on your farm.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Could be an escaped ferret - I've seen a few in the Wild in my time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

It's funny how we don't get polecats or weasles here and England/Wales has them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Our Irish stoat was the only animal here in Ireland that was here in this country before the ice ages, survived the ice ages and is still alive here now in this country after the ice ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭massey 265

Have noticed a pair of these lads round here last few months.I think they are buzzards.Very hard to get a proper picture as they soar very high .Never saw them before but now have seen them in a good few lacations in the west.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my first reaction on seeing that tiny little dot is that it's a kite.

does it have a forked tail?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭massey 265

Doesnt have a forked tail but has white under its wings and a very distenct screech when they are hunting which seems to be mid morning for some reason.11 am seems to be their feeding time

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Easy way to tell if it’s a buzzard is by its size, they’re big.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Adult red kites would be bigger than a buzzard. Buzzards have short stocky bodies with a thick wing span whereas kites have longer bodies and wings and are more aerodynamic looking. The forked tail is one of their features that makes kites easy to identify.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's just a few pixels, but my eyes are saying red kite to me in that pic; red kites seem to have a more convex 'kink' at the leading edge of the wings. also has white under its wings too.

Looks like a kite to me. They are regularly seen around Ballyboughil in NCD after reintroduction a few years ago. I've seen individuals in Duleek, Slane, Kells and Skryne. I understand that they were originally reintroduced in Wicklow.

• Advertisement

yep, my wife goes horseriding in kilsallaghan and once saw six soaring over the stables.

they were reintroduced in avoca, and in newbridge house in donabate - most of the north county dublin ones are presumably from the latter reintroduction.

The majority of swallows here have headed off on their holidays. I've only seen a few in the last couple of days around the house/yard and there are none to be seen flying in/out of the garage. The two house martin nests at the gable end of the house are still active so I presume they are still feeding youngsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Austinbrick

Love it when a hare bolts from under your feet.

I was late herding this evening and twas nearly dark when walking back to the house. My fleece is covered with gossamer and spiderlings drifting in the calm air from the hedgerows. The honeysuckle smells really good too.

They will probably stay for the fine weather next week.There are at least 10of them around the farm.

I think the house martins that resided and bred under the eaves of the gable end of the house headed off on their summer holidays today. There was an awful silent commotion earlier this morning with about 15-20 of them flying towards the gable of the house but non of them landing in the two nests.

As an aside are Barn Swallows more vocal than House Martins???

No. London 0 Hull 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Misty.

Spotted this in the yard earlier being attacked by swallows. He must have had one for lunch earlier. Apologies for the dirty windscreen but it’s nearly a week without using the wipers.

• Advertisement

Not sure I think it’s a buzzard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Female sparrow hawk

You got fairly close.great picture.

Actually only a few metres away .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

What type of spider is this? Fairly big. The daughters friend is feeding our cats while we’re away.

looks like a garden spider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Saw a male hen harrier flying by the yard towards dusk yesterday evening mobbed by crows and jackdaws. It's the second time I've seen one, the last time was a couple of years ago. I wonder is it the same bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RockOrBog

Driving the tractor yesterday I had some birds following me, not after worms more swooping in and out around the tractor... Unreal how nimble they were. I'm guessing swallows but not sure as I didn't think they frequented this area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

We'll never go hungry - from tonight's British Bake off.

"Forager Abbi has to take the prize for this one: her plaited loaf centrepiece takes the shape of a tree and includes a little something called ‘dock flour’. What is that? I hear you cry. Apparently, it’s dough made with the seeds from dock leaves. And it’s all been topped with foraged wild garlic and nettle bread. You have the first slice, I insist – Paul goes onto call it “really unusual”. In a good way"

Advertisement