Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Is it too early yet to start a new thread for building up to the Tonga match?

What’re people’s thoughts of selection for playing Tonga after today’s exhibition match?

A lot of tired bodies at the end, played in fierce heat, and running in tries from everywhere right to the end.

Not sure how professional rugby players should be managed but is it possible to play another more difficult match in 7 days time?

Start the same team with 2 or 3 changes?

Possibly start Iain Henderson and Robbie Henshaw, and involve Kilcoyne, Sheehan and Conan if injury-free?

What about minutes for Bealham, Baird and O’Brien?

Or should Ireland rotate, for example:

Kilcoyne, Kelleher, Bealham,

Henderson, Ryan*,

Baird , Conan, Van der Flier,

Casey, Byrne,

O’Brien, McCloskey, Henshaw, Hansen,

Crowley.

R: Sheehan, Porter, Furlong, McCarthy, Doris, Gibson-Park, Sexton, Ringrose/Earls.

*could swap McCarthy in to start if Ryan will be starting against SA and would prefer less minutes, but perhaps he would prefer the extra 60 minutes.

Would leave a relatively fresh 23 for SA,

Porter, Sheehan, Furlong,

Beirne, Ryan,

O’Mahony, Doris, Van der Flier,

Gibson-Park, Sexton,

Lowe, Aki, Ringrose, Hansen,

Keenan.

R: Herring, Kilcoyne, Bealham, Henderson, Conan, Murray, Crowley, Henshaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

Kelleher looked like a guy who could do with more game time though he may not get the opportunity. He didn’t do much today.

Commentary during Australia v Georgia just said no injuries after the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Hugh Cahill again with his bizarre commentary, truely terrible ,comments on things that don't happen

Thought he looked very dynamic to be honest, but to be fair game had broken up by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Today just underlined that Earls was a charitable pick.

Tier 2 nation and he couldn't get it done today.

I'd much rather have taken a flier on Stockdale tbh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Ha. I’m not sure today told us much about Sexton’s injury profile tbh.

Let’s hope he stays fit for the rest of the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

In fairness the ball did not really bounce for him, he was very close lots of times but for a bad pass or bounce

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I'd say he won't thank a couple of teammates (especially Lowe when he showed up on his wing) for poor passes. He was ready to take a pass if needed for a couple of tries also, in the right place, but wasn't needed. Poor defensive mistake early on but did plenty of good after that, I don't think it's the last we'll see of Earls in the tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

McCarthy for the 23 over Henderson for me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭mun1

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Lowe and Ringrose didn't get on the scoresheet either, does that mean they should have stayed at home as well? I'm not saying that Earls was good or bad but to say he's a charitable pick is a bit of a stretch, he's a vastly expierence player who can cover a number of positions and is solid in defence. I'd imagine it was quiet a close call between him and Stockdale but he won the decision.

Personally, I'd much rather have taken a tried and tested player rather than a flier tbh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Not really, after Tonga we'll be picking our top 23 players for every game so there's a good chance that Tonga could be the last we see of a lot of players in the tournament.

Henderson has been very disappointing over last few games

I think he was taken for his general role in the squad and as a travelling member. It's definitely not charity, but it's not purely pitch based either. Which, given how marginal it was between him and Stockdale anyway I'm fine with.

But we are in trouble if we need to rely on him after Tonga. I personally would have taken the higher ceiling player but I get the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭mun1

More players than Earls had a poorish game today, and i dont see you calling them out. “I think he was taken for his general role in the squad “ is once again a nasty and snide comment to make about one of our best ever players.

Be a bit more consistent and less one eyed with your comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Like they brought him because he's a bit of craic to have around? They could have brought donncha o Callaghan if that was the case

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

I pretty much guarantee thats the last we see of earls barring a calamity of injuries. Absolute dog shite

• Advertisement

Very, very happy with today. The face we've really only lost Cian Healy for the tournament is good news. Just the lineout to fix really. I think we will for the bigger games. A lot of players coming into form too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

Yes, it did seem like a lot of players were finding their form today. Beirne, VdF, Murray, Bundee, Sexton, Hansen, POM, Keenan, Herring, McCarthy, Crowley and O Toole all impressed. Lowe, Doris, Ringrose, Porter and Ryan were fine, with Loughman underwhelming and both Furlong and Kelleher a bit anonymous for me though others disagree. I'd say that's a good day out for the first match of a tournament where we've another game before serious opposition arrives. It was a great start and you'd think the spirit in camp got a real boost from today. Of all the top tier teams that have played Ireland looked the most composed and in control all the time, obvs Romania are poor but still, other than France you'd wonder what the rest think they are doing.

I'm not terribly familiar with Loughman but I felt the same. Tadhg has been quiet enough by his standards for a while. 31 in November is kinda the prime age for a prop. Form is temporary and class permanent, so hopefully he'll get back to where he was. Understandable with Kelleher and the layoffs. A fit Dan Sheehan adds an extra ball carrying threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I've been surprised with how poor so many teams looked. France were pretty average despite their win, and the less said about Argentina, the better. Australia looked better, but had Georgia not thrown that awful intercept, things could've been right for them. Very interested to see how Scotland and Fiji go tomorrow.

Agree to a fair extent. Are we being harsh though.. I can't really recall other first rounds bar SA v NZ in 2019 was very good. Teams will improve no doubt.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

Hyperbole.

Terrible mistake for the opening try, couple of other mistakes, nabbed a great jackal turnover... He has a mixed bag, not a particularly good performance, but hardly dogsh*te.

He's not going to be a starter or bench option (barring injuries) from the SA team onwards, but I wouldn't be worried about involvement against Tonga.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

It was a howler of a mistake for the try, tbf.

But have to say, there's been a LOT of first round jitters across the other games. After the Romanian try, we really did just settle in and looked unfazed by the fact that our WC had started. Easier to do against Romania, to be sure, but as pointed out by @AbusesToilets, a lot of teams have looked poor, nervy and put off by the occasion.

Was satisfying that we just seemed to get on with it.

Thinking back on the game, I was very impressed with McCarthy. He may well be pushing ahead of Henderson.

Loughman wasn't great either, but Earls was the worst Irish player on the pitch. His stats are in stark contrast to the rest of the back 3. Hansen did far more in his more limited time on the pitch.

There is nothing nasty or snide about saying Earls is a good tourist. Farrell has said the same, and if you want to go into the past supposedly Fergus McFadden made a number of touring squads for the same reason. It means his experience, comportment during training and outside and influence on everyone else is a positive. This is absolutely a consideration when selecting squads and something we have no real insight into bar what is told to us. He is also there for his playing skills, but he is clearly now the worst of the outside backs who travelled. Time waits for no man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

What’s your agenda here? Earls wasn’t at fault for the try, it was a sloppy chase by Sexton I think never filling the gap left by Earls chasing the kick.

O’Brien hasn’t even featured yet so saying he is the worst outside back is blatantly false. Earls was fine yesterday, all reports I read said the wings didn’t get enough ball to really impress, what exactly did Lowe do that was so great?

Advertisement