Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v Romania, RWC Pool B. Stade De Bordeaux, 14:30 Saturday 9th September 2023. Virgin TV / ITV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Yeah the lineout is the biggest concern. It should have been rectified by now. One positive though is that it doesn't seem to be a personnel issue given that it's been creaky with any number of different combinations at hooker and lock. That would suggest to me that it's something to do with timing, which is easier to fix than yips, at least in theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭downtheroad

How do you develop after being beaten 82-8? Men against boys, pros against amateurs.

The only solution is World Rugby actually making an effort to make these fixtures occur more regularly and invest in the Tier 2 countries. But its effectively a closed shop in Tier 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ask Japan.

In the 1995 RWC, New Zealand beat them 145-17.

In 2019 RWC they beat Ireland 19-12. Ireland were ranked No.1 in the World then too.

Even Ireland themselves. At the dawn of professionalism, we couldn't win an argument. Now we have every milestone achievement in the game, save for the World Cup itself and we routinely beat everyone. Literally all comers.

It takes investment and organisation, but it can be done. A talented executive and a visionary board leading the process of change can make it happen.

Italy are a good example of bad leadership and short sighted planning. Its why they've been bouncing off their own low ceiling for such a long time now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Nope. Though they took my battery pack off me (stored it and gave it back later)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Comparing the soccer to the rugby world cup is comparing apples to oranges, it's far harder for a team to qualify for the soccer world cup. Ireland are the number 1 team in the world, Romania is 20, this is out of 30 teams. Soccer has ~210 teams, so if you want to accurately compare results imagine the result if Argentina played Burundi in the first round of the world cup, a 12-1 result wouldn't be too far fetched imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

I did think at the time they should have cleared the ball dead at 80 mins from their own try line. Well up anyway, boiling hot and doing well with no injuries. If he is injured as a result of that I'd be fuming - our best player today imo by a country mile

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭cson

Yeah I was astounded POM was selected as MotM.

Aki was central to everything good we did today, he has some wheels for a lad in his 30s too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I liked that we didn't kick a lot today, and I like that we scarcely kept it in the forwards for more than a few phases in their 22.

Today was all about fitness in conditions, and sharpening up our wider attacking play, for the fewer (rare) moments they'll present themselves against better opposition.

I don't think it can be overstated how terrifyingly impressive it is to see a lock/flanker on a shoulder to finish a break-away try in injury time having played the full game in that heat and with so much ball in play time.

We're a machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Aki amazing today, from the instagram pics he has trained really hard and it’s very satisfying to see that translate into great rugby. He was a man on a mission, more of that please!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Teams can regress in an incredible fashion too , Romania were easily the best european team outside the home nations as late as 1988 , I know their demise began with the 1989 breakdown of communist rule but even allowing for that , it’s been a spectacular collapse for a country that has a rugby heritage

• Advertisement

Not having access to top level games will do that, Japan and Argentina are the anomalies in their development.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Good entertainment and fair play to the lads in that heat.....

Learnings:

Paulie needs to get the biscuits and tea out and get stuck into the lineouts. Worry.

J10 is the Daddy. Outstanding. Passing perfection.

BIG Joe must be pushing for a start, incredible unit and involved in everything.

Loughman is break glass and goodness help us if needed. Just not at this level.

Aki is in great form and pushing Robbie.

Mack is electric.

JGP needs to stay fit and is so good....

Tadhg Beirne was tired before this game and is now shattered , please give him a breather :) The look on his face scoring that last try... :)

We need Dan Sheehan fit and firing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

I would disagree on the Aki point. He cemented his status as our 1st choice no.12 today. Must be picked now when fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,076 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Agreed, he has been in superb form for quite a while now.

Not so sure on that but great place to be in having Aki and Robbie vying for that spot. Position of real strength for us @ 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

I’m sure they will both feature. Great to have them both but Aki the man in possession at the moment. Will be interesting to see who is picked for Tonga.

Henshaw needs to find fitness before there's any competition at 12. Right now, a fit Aki is critical to our WC campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Romania were surely more restricted when part of the eastern bloc ?

Would have zero issue with Robbie or Aki starting at 12. Robbie is a world class 12 period. Aki not essential if Henshaw available but it is fantastic to have both champing at the bit for 12.

It's been a while since Henshaw has shown that he's a world class 12. All down to fitness, granted. Aki has played well in an Irish shirt anytime he's been asked to in 2023.

I've nothing against Henshaw, but there's no point harking back to prior performances by him. He's had injury issues and Aki has taken his chance. No room for both in a matchday 23 against top opposition.

• Advertisement

Personally would still have Henshaw starting at 12 in a wcup qtr etc if fully match fit but it really isn't an issue either way in my eyes and a damn good place to be in @ 12.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Would you have him starting 12 if he hadn't started any of the other games before that?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I’d agree with most of your post but on this:

No room for both in a matchday 23 against top opposition.

There definitely is. Farrell is a fan of a centre in the 23 jersey. If Aki starts at 12, I think it’s very possible Henshaw gets the 23 jersey.

No, note my reference to being match fit.......Henshaw needs game time absolutely and I hope we see him at 12 next week. Bundee has little to prove and we know where he is at.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭davepatr07

I don't rate Loughman and Henderson, think they are liabilities. Henderson has dropped form and Loughman not at the races at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Shank Williams

Why are people trying to decipher anything from this embarrassing mismatch? Like watching a one armed man fight Tyson

I think you are being generous 😉 I am having recurring bad dreams about Loughman being needed in a proper match....Time to light a few hundred candles and have a good mass.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Loughman has a great deal of credit in the bank with Munster fans from his performances in the latter stages of last year's URC.

There's no sugar-coating today though. That was bad. But at the same time, I'm certainly happy to call it an anomaly. Scrummaging was a mixed bag, but it was around the park where he had most of his hiccups. And that's odd, given how strong he is in the loose.

Heat, soap-ball, nerves, too keen to impress, who knows. But today didn't reflect him as a player.

Do I want Porter fit for 80 minutes against South Africa? Yes.

But I'd also be chill on Loughman. He'll reintroduce himself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Any decent highlights of the game around?

Advertisement