Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Renewables Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,226 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Would it even work? Once the water starts to collect at the bottom it'll deposit any dirt it's carrying regardless

Removing it via capillary action will probably take some of it away but it seems like it'd at best reduce the number of times you're cleaning your panels

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭oaklands

Works for me at least..but mainly if the panels are at a low angle like ~10deg or less. (a steeper angle may not need them at all) Beforehand the water would pool in 1 or both corners and after it evaporated it would leave a dirty residue which quickly built up and made the corner cell less effective. Since installation I have not seen the build-up.

On my panels there is a bit of a lip between the glass and the frame...maybe newer ones have a minuscule lip.

I presume the micro flow of water also brings the tiny particulaes along in the flow. I was scepticle beforehand but risking the €5 for 10 pcs wasnt a big deal. I placed 1 unit in each of the 2 lower corners, although typically the water would only pool in one of the corners unless 100% level which mine are not. Clearly, this does not negate the need for normal panel cleaning....only if you get a grimy build up in one or both lower corners, which kills 1 cell. If 1 cell is partially impaired you can get a disproprtionate degradation across the full or section of panel akin to shade.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

PV installation is two years old today. Total generated 9.89MWh. Production this year is down on last.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

eFIXX did a video today on crimping MC4 connectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭randombar

MIC is 16KVA, not sure what I can do with that 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

It just tells you what size the fuse is in your meter box and hence how much current you can pull at any instant without blowing that fuse.

Not much you can do with the info as such unless you want to change things in your house, like adding an EV charge point.

I'm going to show this article to anyone asking if solar panels work in Ireland 😂

Must be bizarre seeing the panels generating at 4am in summer

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ireland is actually better than many EU countries for solar PV!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

100kwh in 3 days in the middle of September, more of this please 😎

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

We had a scheduled all day power outage last week, so the first time the Huawei backup box got proper use since it was installed.

I dutifully filled the (5kWh) battery the night before, and turns out I probably didn't need to. It was a high yield day (theoretical 27kWh), and I didn't realise this is also a proper islanding box (Huawei's docs are atrocious). So all day long the solar generated enough to cover house load (on the circuit that goes through the box, so fridge/living room), so we could have coffee and internet all day (~1.6kWh in total) and I could work away to the song of the neighbour's burglar alarms... Didn't take so much as a watt out of the battery, but still, good just in case.

The box takes about half a minute to fail over and fail back, so the home server should really be on its own UPS at some point.

All in all, it was probably worth the investment to have proper espresso and not have to worry about opening the fridge.

Got a new toy.

You can really see where I have a strip or 2 of insulation lifted in the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭jasgrif11

The dog looks like a good heat source😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Gonna need one of them soon I think, what did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

They're a pretty nifty gadget, have one myself 😁

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Can see the outline of bedroom radiator on the wall beneath the pair of windows.

And the heat going up the chimney :(

I hope you sent that picture to your other half with the title "proof that I'm hot" 😁

• Advertisement

Good way to check if the dog is still alive too!

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

Outside photos intrigued me, Took a wander around, locked the scale, but temperature has been fairly consistent.

You can just about make out the solar tubes on the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Mine was done mid-December on a calm baltic night. Waiting for the same conditions to do it again. 20 degree difference is ideal (between indoor and outdoor) so will have a wait a while.

Your place looks fairly toasty there @graememk

Possibly too warm out yet to see anything. Colours are misleading as it was mostly all over 8-9c which was the ambient temperature outside. Still thinking of getting the walls pumped.

More musings when out dropping off/collecting trailers.

To move tractors to electric.

Our "big tractor" [165hp on the PTO, so not really a big one!]

Working flat out lifting grass can use 18-20L/HR and these are the days where there is no downtime. Say 10 hrs. 200Litres 2000kWh, 40% efficient, 800kWh of energy needed. That's a big battery.

Rest of the jobs aren't as intensive more spread out.

What if it was a diesel electric like Edison motors new off highway (Logging) truck? (Or the phev version of the BMW i3)

Start the day with a full battery, diesel engine assists/maintains the battery when needed.

e- axels for the wheels and separate motor for the PTO.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

40% efficiency for a working diesel tractor seems very optimistic, might be just 20%. Still having a 400kWh battery is not economically realistic. I guess BEV tractors do not come with DC fast charging?

What you are doing is akin to driving an electric truck from Glasgow to London without the ability to charge along the way

May I suggest an experiment, turn the engine off when idling for longer than 30 seconds?

Tractor engines tend to be high capacity and are probably horrible from an idle consumption viewpoint

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That's where I believe (green) Hydrogen will find it's niche. It's ideal for that workload and doesn't add a tonne of battery-weight.

• Advertisement

Weird thing is that a tonne of extra weight in a work vehicle can actually be helpful

I remember Fully Charged had an electric skid steer loader thing that Robert was using to clear his garden

The version with the larger battery could lift more because the battery acted as a counterweight

I suspect for a tractor, there's a lot of efficiency gains possible which they didn't bother with before

It might make sense to have the front wheels powered as well for extra torque at some times, and you can switch the motors off when they aren't needed. Basically the same as an AWD EV

Advertisement