Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭mode1990

Gave up on it a long time ago , Ken early pontificating his personal opinions about issues unrelated to sport was the last straw ! Even though he was ****-canned I found not much had changed , so it's John Crendon for proper insight into a musical experience !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Turned on Newstalk on my way home from the beach yesterday - during the 1st half - and no live commentary on Arsenal v United. But then I turned the radio on later and there was commentary? Must have been technical issues or something

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

It isn't so much the "These guys think they are worth €10 a month" prism. It's "here are hundreds of almost identical podcasts out there for free prism".

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭FazyLucker

Yeah, that's it for me too. I guess if it works out for them great, but I don't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭bike2wkr

I don't have time for listening to alot of these podcasts these days. I would say ken Earley is excellent. Great articles in the Irish Times too. OTB good too. Main thing I was listening to recently or catchup on was the Saturday show. There's a massive amount of podcasts out there without paying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

I subbed for the first month just to see was it worth it...I've cancelled it for next month.

Has anyone listened to the ronan o gara segments? Usually it's adrian barry interviewing him and my god it is honestly the most boring bit of radio you will ever listen to. If I have to hear him being asked about his rivalry with JS one more time. He was on last week chatting about having one of the o donovan brothers down in la rochelle and straight away someone was in saying oh the rivalry between the brothers would be a bit like yourself and johnny...i think o gara himself does be a bit embarrassed answering the same questions over and over again. O gara isn't great over the radio anyways and there's absolutely no need to have him on once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

ROG is a particularly boring interviewee - people mistake him as an interesting character but I find him narcoleptic.

Yeah, its always ROG v Johnny, as if it happened yesterday - its 15 years ago guys. The O'Donovan brothers are generally rowing in the same boat so they are not even remotely similar, in fact its the opposite.

Did I see an email from The42 about a u-turn in their subscriber model? I never even look at their website any more either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Since they've gone behind the paywall i don't miss it at all. I listened to the Saturday football show last week. And John Giles Thu evening segment couple weeks back. That's about it really. I don't miss any of them. Not Molloy. Not Gilroy. Certainly not the scutter lads banter at 19.00. And it's refreshing not to have heard the annoying Nathan doing live premier league or any other radio either. Out of sight out of mind. Plenty more of my favourite sports coverage out there. I won't be going back to otb that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭FazyLucker

I missed their interview with Rory McIlroy but I presume it was 15 minutes of Nathan talking really fast at Rory and not letting him speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭RINO87

Haven't been following closely.... I used to listen to OTB quite a lot live but not so much these days. So is the show still live, and the regular slots can be listened to on air, and its only the listen back thats behind the paywall, or have they dropped lots of slots from the broadcast entirely and moved them behind the paywall??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

No, it was a good interview by Joe Molloy and Nathan to be fair.

They're both golf nerds (as am I) so they want to hear what he has to say. They insinuated on Golf Weekly (of which I'm a subscriber) that Rory may be open to a longer sit down interview in the near future.

On the whole €10 a month thing, even though it's only an extra few quid on me Golf Weekly cost, I just can't see myself signing up. Too much crap crammed in that I would never listen to.

If they gave me Golf Weekly at €5 a month and then let me add on extra pods for €1 a month there are one or 2 I'd add on and drop at various times of the year.

Football Pod..............................actually that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

It just popped up on my Youtube feed an interview with Alan Quinlan about yesterdays match where according to the video description

Jonny Sextons standout performance after more than 6 months without a game astonished Alan Quinlan

Ireland won 82-8 against a bunch of almost amateur players anyone who reads anything into that game is talking complete guff.They could have played me at fly half and they'd have won.

Rugby honestly seems to attract the greatest bunch of bullshit merchants analyzing the games where they seem to see everything as being so important , it's like they work for the IRFU's PR team.Why couldn't we get some honest analysis and him just say "Yesterdays game was a complete waste of time and there is no point reading anything into it".This patronizing guff you get is tedious as anyone with half a brain can see right through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Yeah but Ireland's rugby journey isn't just about sport, it's a testament to a nation's mettle, and it casts shadows deep into our tech world's relentless innovation.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

Your last line summed up how I saw the game, at half time I decided life and fine weather was too short to sit inside when it was 24 degrees looking at Ireland beating a team who would have been trounced by a AIL team.

You could read nothing in to it, but I guess OTB have a 20 minute slot to fill with Alan Quinlan and they need to get him to say something!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭pgj2015

If something is free and then suddenly you have to pay for it, not a hope, I wouldnt pay out of spite.

Some of off the ball is good but I find most of them annoying, the "banter" reminds me of bullying to be honest, slagging each other off in a very juvenile way thinking they are funny and trying to be woke other times, never attempting to judge the womes soccer team like they would the mens team.

the discussion below is ridiculous as well, pub talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK7vEudYnYs

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Are they still championing Stephen Kenny on OTB?

I had the radio on Wednesday night around 9 and Dan McDonnell was on with Nathan I think but they didn't really speak about the manager.

Turned on the radio yesterday and Johnny said we've no midfield that's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I'd say they probably are still supporting Kenny. They really nailed their colours to the mast on him. The Messiah of Irish football with his philosophy. Hard for them to admit they were wrong.

John Duggan was the worst of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

TBF the media have so someway appease the governing bodies in all sports if they want acccess to players. Pundits across all platforms were lauding Sexton yesterday not just OTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Which is ridiculous, they won 82-8 nobody should be reading anything into yesterdays game at all.The fact that they have to suck up to the Rugby team to get access to the players is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭bike2wkr

Not just Kenny though. Proper investment in Irish soccer needed in order to produce high level players. That irish team reflects that lack of investment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I agrre it works both ways though. I remember in the lead up to the last WC when Ireland doing too well. Schmidt cut off all access to the media. They got their revenge though as they started calling the Aviva stadium Lansdowne rd. IRFU weren't long backing down as I'm sure they got a tap on the shoulder from Aviva. It's all a game of cat and mouse. Most pundits don't even bother trying to hide their favourites. it's insulting to fans intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,775 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I turned on the radio there earlier today (Sunday before the Ireland v Holland) for my own amusement really - 'the football show'I think it was?. To see what spin they would be putting on Kenny's tenure, their expectations of the game etc. Knowing full well they would have a job to put a spin on things.

It did not disappoint, it was the funniest thing I heard on the radio for a while. First they considered Lee Carsley for the Ireland job. Which was funny in itself as it is not likely.

But then one of them said Carsley did not have the senior international experience (I assume it was one of the '42' young lads?). I was shouting at the radio that Kenny's only real experience was u21 International level. Which is all Carsley has

Then a texter pointed that out - but the counter from the presenter was that Kenny got the job for the work he did in European club football! And bluffed away the rest of question, by saying people can 'pick and chose' for an argument.

All I could think of was how many games did Kenny manage in Europe? It could not have been many.

But then the debate got even funnier, they seriously started talking about the need for someone with a long throw in the Ireland squad!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Rory Delap now there was the man for the long throws... Son seems to have regressed a bit in the last few seasons but he still has time

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭supermans ghost

Couldn’t agree more, on the occasions that I have tuned in, they all seem “up themselves” molloy in particular. The fake sincerity with the Qatar World Cup last year and the wringing of their hands on how could this happen etc….

Talksport here in the UK offers far more insightful and entertaining coverage for soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭cmac2009

....and about as insightful as reading the daily mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

How was Gilroy reacting to Novak’s grand slam win?

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭DaithiMa

Joe Molloy often talks about how he listens to Talksport daily. Simon Jordan one of his favourites. I wonder would he still listen if it went behind a paywall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Sean Quinn getting great publicity for his book today, Sean reckons he’s the real victim, not Kevin Lunney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Jordan is box office. If you want to go pay wall you need a big personality like that.

Advertisement