Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2023 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭acequion

It was indeed wonderful and the June spell was wonderful too where I am in the south west. And I personally adored every minute as I'm a total good weather junkie and bad weather grouch. And I raved each day to express my enjoyment. But why are people raving as if we've just had a summer like 1995?? We got one week, that's all! It began last Saturday, that's 8 days ago. And looks like that's it. So 8 days after 7 long weeks of utter crap, 7 horrendous weekends yet posters are passing themselves out with gratitude for one week. Reality check guys please! We'd need weeks of decent weather to right the wrongs of that awful summer.

This week was really great, but let's not get completely carried away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Decent enough early start in Kildare

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Whatever today brings, at least it's a beautiful start to it in Greystones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

Not a nice start here in NCD, extremely foggy.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I can see that fog from here! Looking at DunLaoghaire webcam, thick fog there too.

Sky has changed a lot in the last hour in Greystones. Now has the look of thunder!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Billcarson

This is Ireland not Spain. Think your expectations of an Irish summer are too high imo. The 2 previous summers were decent summers and this one was poor. Cant have a decent summer every Yr in this country. Personally I didn't think this summer overall was necessary terrible. Warmest June on record , poor July and we've had worse August's. Summers of 07 and 12 were worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I don't see anyone raving like we had a summer like 1995?

August this year was actually grand for August, it's just we had such a horrible July that it was always going to be impossible to redeem this summer.

At least we got one last shot at summer this week.

Fog finally lifting here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭OldRio

July and August were muck at this location. The last 5 days have been lovely. Cloudy in the main but warm and dry.

Cloudy again this morning. 16C.

Leitrim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Oh bhoy that was such a fine spell, now lets sit back and watch it spectacularly break down with tons of thunder from the south. What a finale, fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Lovely foggy morning in Lucan and it's starting to get sunny now. Please, just one more sunny day for the Lucan Festival.

I agree regarding June but there were a couple of days where it was unbearably humid back then. I know we've only just had over nice week just gone but it'll certainly set me up nicely for the autumn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭acequion

I notice a lot on this site that posters accuse others of "expectations" when they complain about Irish weather. However I can't see how expectations came into the post that you were replying to. I was just pointing out the fact that it's only been one good week after a particularly bad summer.

All throughout this past exceptional week you complained constantly. I found that a bit bizarre as even though someone may not like heat, how on earth could they begrudge others the obvious joy of a week of sunshine and warmth. Little children out at the beach, the elderly in their shady gardens, the flowers springing back into bloom, the sheer carefree nature of of flinging on shorts and flip flops and out you go and everybody in much better form. Each to their own of course, but complaining last week seemed a bit ott,imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

Absolutely beautiful morning in Longford. The last one, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

My large rhododendron hedge is flowering a second time. Not seen that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭alentejo

A downpour in Dublin. Shower just appeared from no where on met radar

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭spoonerhead

Absolute deluge in D12, no rumbles or flashes yet…

Looks like convective showers really getting going quickly along east coast due to convergence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,948 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Was out raking up grass in the garden, then the drops started falling. For about ten minutes, didn't amount to much tbh . Very humid here though, Portlaoise.

Still very warm and humid here in NCD and very warm in sunshine.

I spoke too soon out of nowhere big drops started falling on us in the garden!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Sunny and very very warm in Galway City this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Only one good week but you were lucky to get it at all and should be grateful considering its September. When I say that I mean the high temperatures as of course good weather in September is common anywsy especially early September. Dont exactly like the rain myself. The little kids at the beach I'm sure they will see plenty of heat in the coming years as the climate continues to warm . They are the ones I feel sorry for .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Some drops of rain, North Wicklow. Still very warm and pleasant.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

heavy rain in Meath now, still warm but a reminder that this wonderful spell of weather is coming to a close now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Some fabulous forks of lightning here in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

A distant rumble of thunder in Celbridge. There was a heavy shower a couple of hours ago, and constant misty drizzle since. Very humid, but it's a lot cooler today. Extremely dark the past hour - nearly need the light on!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

heavy showers again here at Dunshaughlin but there is absolutely no sign of any thunder or lightning, just rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Haven't even had rain here in Dublin 13 yet, this place is like a shower shield a lot of the time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Just clouded over here in Longford. Hit 26 there at lunchtime, swim down by the like, amazing morning.

Very grateful for the weather and looking forward to some storms ☺️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just did a huge clear out in my room, now thrown on the bed and the window open with a lovely breeze coming in, still seriously humid today though.

Advertisement