Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

They once again conceded a goal just after half time, lack of discipline is the cause of this they seem to continually concede goals early in the second half, they should be ready to play after half time and they're not.

I'll be honest I saw no real fight from the team on Thursday night, France just toyed with them, we never got close to them.

What is worse with Kenny's reign is our worst performance have come in the game he was supposed to make us better in i.e teams in and around our level .It seemed based on the hype Kenny got we would play better football and take the game to teams like this but we've been awful against teams of our own level and look completely rudderless against them which I would argue is the greatest indictment of his reign.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭redseat1

I do like that you expected more than 100% in Greece! You talking 110%, or more like 150%?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Our midfield is hopelessly bad. I'd honestly have Hendrick in there instead of Cullen at this stage. Lad has absolutely no presence in midfield god love him and is a constant common denominator in acres of space being left for opposition to constantly get long distance shots off. And that's when he isn't literally passing the ball straight to the opposition so they can score (Pavard). He's more mobile than Whelan (whoop dee doo) but it's just the same thing of passing the ball sideways and backwards and taking no ownership of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Kenny should just use Ronald Koeman's press conference as his pregame team talk. It should be all the motivation anyone needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I think we both know you've less than zero % to contribute here. -10% I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

Kenny for me gets His selections and tactics always wrong

For example Kelleher is our best keeper by far and is being punished for being a sub keeper At Liverpool.

Ireland are a small nation and as a result we need to get our best players regardless of their club status starting.

Also our tactics, we are a counter attacking team and always have been and always will be, defend as a unit and then counter attack down the wings using direct running, short passes and speed.

It's what we are good at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

You've just idiotically described the Trapp and MON era. There have been some great passages of play in recent times, just not consistently, which is to be expected with this crop of players. Was it aimless hoofing that scored 3 goals against Scotland?

But you're right, let's go back to pig football and still not qualify for anything. What a moronic outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Doc07

You’d have to nearly admire this fantasy island optimism. I wonder does the Greek manager come out with this stuff. Best of luck if they pull it off but this looks a bit ridiculous

You're right, let's cap the much better Irish players at our disposal. Maybe you can list them for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

Bizarre any of you think something negative can be taken from the France game. Earlier this year they battered the Netherlands 4-0, who I think we all agree are a far superior side to Ireland.

Performance wise, I would say that only losing by two goals with a team that's comprised largely of second squad, bottom table PL team players or championship players is actually quite a respectable result, when compared to arguably the best team in the world with functionally endless squad depth.

We were f'd from the beginning in terms of group this time, and there is little the manager can do to help that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

i dont have much issue with the france result or performance. another manager isnt getting a draw out there. greece away was the one that finished him off. totally unacceptable performance that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Everybody knows unsold tickets are given out to schools and clubs, I’m not saying that’s the case against the Dutch as they are a tier 1 team, but there has been an audible change from the Aviva since kenny took over, it’s like a high pitched screeching sound anytime Ireland get near the opponents goal, similar to the noticeable crowd sound when watching a women’s match. Can’t believe people haven’t copped on to this yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭redseat1

Greece away has become this real stick to beat him.

I suspect the reason Kenny gets more support amongst LoI fans is that they follow Irish football more closely than the average ManU or Liverpool fan. So they'd know we've had what, 3 decent away games since 2010? That's Estonia, Austria and a smash and grab in Wales.

Beat Greece at home, finish ahead of them in the group, and that's about as good as any manager could do. Lose, finish behind them, and consider the options available then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

I remember Trap and Martin O’Neill getting results pal. That’s the bottom line here. And by the way, are you actually trying to tell me you enjoy the type of football we are playing at the moment? The football is not pretty at all. 10 passes sideways then backwards to the keeper to launch 50 yards up the pitch is in no way different to how we ever played before. It’s the same result whether it takes one pass or 15 to launch the ball long.

Theres not creative player in the squad, so why is Stephen Kenny trying to play football suited to a team with creative players? Creativity can’t be coached. So above all else not playing to the teams strengths, or in this case managing their limitations, means he can’t do his job. That’s before we even go near his record in games.

It's pretty clear you haven't watched many recent games if that's your perception of the current style. You've said it several times now. What are the teams strengths that you think we should be playing to? It's obviously not hoofball, because you say we are failing at that. So what is it? So far your gripe is were playing ugly hoofball, no different to before, and also complaining that Kenny is trying to get them to play football. You're contradicting yourself.

Trap had a far superior team to this and his reign was abysmal. The fact that you remember that era fondly speaks volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,638 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Well I don't support an English PL team or Celtic and the usual. I would be more into the GAA and would follow the national soccer side. Have gone to LOI in the past out of curiosity, plus years ago LOI European games. The fact is the majority of soccer heads don't want to go, they would prefer to go to a friendly for Liverpool/United/Celtic in the AVIVA at most. Simple as that. It is up to the LOI to change peoples minds.

Kerr was the one hope that the LOI had - but the media/fans turned on him, he was only given one crack at it. Now Kenny is doing awful and the media/fans are given him chance after chance - as it gets worse. I think that is out of desperation.

On the main Ireland thread anyone who even slightly criticises Kenny is rounded on - and accused of not caring about football in Ireland etc It is off the wall stuff. As I said there was never this religious fervour about any other Irish manager. Even though Kenny has done nothing to back up the hype. It seems to me that the hype about Kenny is greater than the man himself,

And how is Kenny going to suddenly improve the future of Irish football in the future exactly? Surely that is an infrastructual thing? LOI clubs would be better off creating links with continental European clubs IMO. In such academies (Belgium, Holland, Switzerland, Austria etc) Irish players would have more chance of developing and getting game time there.

Kenny blooding some players 18 time of writing (Stan blooded 24) is not going to help the future of Irish football long term and fix the same issues - infrastructure training and game time.

Kenny making his team play from the back is not going to help the future of Irish football. Just lose matches, as the players are not there for it.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

The team is failing full stop.

If you care to look at the first post I made, I clearly said this thing of Kenny’s team playing good football is a myth. They’re playing shite football and it’s clear the man has absolutely zero plan other than Plan A. The biggest problem is, Plan A isn’t working. It hasn’t worked and it never will work. The team is totally rudderless in every game.

Trap’s reign ended badly, but you’ve a very selective memory of the end is all you’re focusing on. Very easy to make his time as manager suit your narrative when you focus on the last 6 months as opposed to the other 4 years. The football wasn’t pretty but there’s no denying he got us results and at the end of the day it’s a results business. It’s great to be entertained obviously but the game is about the final score. Unfortunately for us at the moment we’re getting no results and no entertainment. If I wanted to be entertained I’d go to the circus which funnily enough is the word that could be used to best describe the last couple of years of nonsense with this pub team manager we’re stuck with.

I also just did a quick check of match tickets in the press. This evening will be my 40th home game since I moved back to Ireland in 2014. Covid aside I’d say I’ve missed 3 games in that time. So I’m fairly sure I’ve a good idea about what I’ve seen and what I’m seeing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Unfortunately Kenny is a poor manager and totally out of his depth at international level. This would not be lost on some, if not all, of the players. Football is a results business. No one cares about 10,000 passes among the back four with the ball going nowhere if we're losing consistently.

But Kenny gets a free pass playing the League of Ireland card and, unfortunately, there are many who are willing to play that card for him.

There's no such thing as playing good football and losing all the time. A team can, perhaps, play good football and be unlucky in one match and then lose. But playing good football and losing for three years. . . . absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I think we were better at hoofball or, at least , we enjoyed greater success by playing long up to a target man. The point you make about wing play is pertinent because I was struck by the lack of forward running by our wide players against France. In the first half we had a couple of decent breaks from midfield but neither Browne nor Ogbene joined the attack to lend support in what were promising positions because the French defence was narrow and there was acres of space to exploit. So, it seemed we were trying to defend as an entire unit but not attack like one.

I don't agree with your point about Kelleher. He looks a pretty ordinary keeper to me, lacking in mobility. It's telling that no other clubs have made offers for him and he remains a Liverpool reserve.

• Advertisement

My understanding is that attendances have never been higher. Some LoI clubs have full attendances every week.

Besides the LoI has absolutely nothing to do with the national team for the very simple reason that the standard of the league is not very high. We're talking international football here. . . not Europa conference League first round qualifying. The best players this country ever produced spent very limited times in the LoI. Yet bizarrely some fans support Kenny bringing in LoI players in a background where no LoI team qualified for the group stage of any European competition this year with the best team in the country, Shamrock Rovers, woefully outperformed in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Rovers missing 3 key players were unlucky to come up against a decent Iceland team who are now in the group stages. After that they came up against Ferencvarous with a budget of 26 million. Last year they got to the group stages, playing 14 European games in total

I've held a season ticket since 2005.

The Trapp era was bleak, the performance versus France in 09 was a result of the players taking the initiative tactically.

We played a brand of football that generated no excitement or enthusiasm in qualification, and it ultimately was cruelly exposed against good opposition on the world stage in 2012. The Trapp era was objectively a failure. I really don't know how you can put a positive spin on it. There were good players in those teams that were forced to play in one of the most negative teams in Europe during that time. We qualified once with them, and got hammered in every game.

So far you've said;

We play hoofball now, no different to before. That is a clueless comment with no basis in reality.

Kenny has called up players that are far below par to compete at this level, as if there's a bunch of World beaters waiting for a shout.

The reality is, Jesus himself couldn't get this team to qualify. I'd rather not qualify at least trying to play a decent brand than not qualify playing utter dross. I've already wasted too much money going to watch dross. There are no tactical adjustements, or personnel changes, that can be made that would see us getting out of this group.

I'm still waiting for you to highlight the strengths the team has that we should be playing to.

The Trapp era produced good results and we qualified for a major tournament which, by all accounts, is the definition of success for Ireland. We are a million miles away from qualifying for anything under Kenny.

I just read this article by Ronan Curtis (time of writing before the Dutch match Home.)

The damning statements in the article are:

Sadlier -

“We have won one in four now. Stephen’s record in competitive games is that he wins one in five. It’s five wins in 25.”

Curtis -

"A manager outsmarted by Luxembourg in Dublin, whose five competitive victories came against teams FIFA rank off-Broadway at 30th, 89th, 90th, 121st and 198th, will hardly have Gakpo, Van Dijk and De Jong quaking in their boots."

"Sometimes it feels like the focus on being co-tenants in a Group of Death with France and the Dutch is a deliberate smokescreen to disguise the fact that the 51-year-old’s most wounding failures have come against toothless minnows. Under Kenny, Ireland repeatedly fail to beat inferior opposition.

No previous manager – not Brian Kerr, who had an infinitely superior win percentage, or the cruelly lampooned Steve Staunton – has been judged as benevolently."

--

The last point is one I just can't understand, why Kenny is been treated with such kid gloves? It has me really thrown.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Interesting re Kelleher. Were there any reports of Crystal Palace looking at him before they bought Dean Henderson?

Because he's one of the most successful managers to come from the League of Ireland.

Those that carry on this juvenile support for Kenny because he happened to do a good job at Dundalk and elsewhere are fans of the LoI and not fans of the national team.

It was the only time we ever failed to get out of the group having qualified. How is that the definition of success?

I agree about Kenny, but as I said in the post you quoted, there's not a man alive that can get us out of this group. Do you really think these players are playing below their ability?

• Advertisement

We were in a group with the two eventual finalists and Croatia. Get real.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement