Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭Inviere

I found with a shed, that once you have to leave the comfort of the house to go out to it, you're less inclined to bother. Granted mine wasn't a modern warm/insulated/comfortable one, but I'm not sure that'd have made a difference for me.

What's up with the attic that makes it uncomfortable Cidey? Is it height? Space? Is it something a full clear out and re-jig might solve?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There is only so much I can do with it and, in fairness, it has done little but accumulate stuff for the past 20 years!

A clear out, clean, and re-organise might do the trick, but a big part of me wants more vertical space and places to put everything, aside from those filthy current consoles that do not deserve to be named.

I'll have to look into it and decide then, but a large secure wooden or metal shed, supplied with power and a storage heater, good lighting, it could be fantastic, install a nice path through the back garden to it.

We shall have to see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I don't think you'll get that for 3 grand. If you want something to escape to.

Hmmm, looks like one of our 2DS XLs was put into a charity clothes bag by accident and is gone. With a Tomadachi Life cartridge 😁. Have a backup 2DS XL which I thought was overkill, but not now.

I kinda hope the next switch has a flip screen and they'll port the big DS titles over or emulate them. I can see it happening ... how else does Nintendo bring these to its online service without some horrible single screen UI hacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,325 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Re the DS titles, I wonder could a compromise be met as you have a screen in your hands with the Switch and also a TV in front of you. Some games might work in a hybrid TV/Switch mode, with the TV being the top screen and the Switch screen being the bottom.

Master of the Universe

That's the one big downside of attic rooms alright, vertical space. I love games on shelves and it's almost impossible to do with that kind of shaped space.

Would it be possible to partition the room into two spaces with shelving maybe? I've seen some great uses of shelves to split a room in half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Like the Wii U - for me there is too big a disconnect looking from TV down to device. Works with some stuff, but not where you need to see both screens "at once".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't know what might be possible, to be honest.

This will require some delicate negotiations with the venue manager (aka Mrs Ciderman) and see what can be done.

The spare room is supposed to be my art studio but, with one thing and another, I haven't quite got that mojo back yet.

Those Ikea Kallax units can have their cubes split in half, so two consoles per cube (if the console fits.) Makes a reeeeaallly nice display. If you were able to consolidate your consoles into a much smaller space Cidey, it could leave a lot more space for games, shelves, etc etc. You could put the main consoles into action on display, and have the more obscure stuff semi-stored but easily accessible and easily put into use. Here's x13 consoles on a very simple 8x2 unit. You can buy these in bigger and smaller sizes, and combine them etc.

Master of the Universe

Ever sit down to play a game some evening, have it all go tits up and two hours later you're suddenly surrounded by screwdrivers and pieces of electronics?

Had a bit of time this evening to sit down and continue playing Sweet Home. It's a game I've been meaning to play for years, so finally decided to stick a translated rom image on my Everdrive N8 last night and had a crack at it. It's absolutely brilliant, got about 2 hours in, saved and left it there.

Thought I'd pick up this evening - save not there. Poo!

Fecked about with the N8 and it turns out the firmware I have on it is from 2013 and the newer ones had save state support, so whipped out the micro SD, updated the firmware and got it going again. Save stats were now working, hurrah!

Turned the console off and back on again to see if my saves were still there - I get an error saying the Everdrive had been reset to the default settings (with save states off)

Rather puzzled by this and with much messing about, it occurred to me that the N8 has a CR2032 battery inside. It's ten years old so it must have died and as a result, isn't saving my changes. No big deal, I've loads of them here, so would open it up, change the battery and start Sweet Home again.

I've never actually opened a Famicom cart case before. Did notice before that there were no screws, but thought it must have just popped open. Oh how wrong I was! They are an absolute pain in the TITS to open without breaking the internal tabs that hold both halves of the shell together. I actually had to look up a youtube video.

Finally got it open, no tabs broken but some cracks along the way...about to go and look for my stash of CR2032 batteries and I notice that the battery on the board is a bit smaller. What the absolute feck - it's a CR1220. A button cell battery I have never seen nor used before.

So off to ebay I went to order one. No Sweet Home for me this evening. Couldn't even close the N8 PCB back up into the cartridge shell as it was such a pain in the hoop to open in the first place.

Retrogaming, eh?? 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

First thing I thought reading that was, is the N8 card a China version? Seemily those can't be upgraded, if they are they get bricked...I haven't dared to find out :D

But yes, I pop out to have a look at a game/machine for '5min' as I tell the boss and a hour or so later I arrive back f'ing and blinding that ever I was to look at as it doesn't work or needs fixing. Retrogaming is fun!

Master of the Universe

Do those Chinese N8 clones have many options on them? I see there's now an N8 Pro Everdrive with loads of bells and whistles, half tempted to save up a few eurons and pick one up along with the Turbo Everdrive Pro.

Haha yeah I feel your pain, it always reminds me of this scene from Malcom in the Middle

Need to share that video with the other half :) so very true.

I believe the China versions have all the features of the 'legit' versions of the same F/W version - but they make it clear to not update'em, as I take it that Krikzz might have things in newer F/W which breaks the clones.

I know they're cheaper and might seem the obvious solution, but I'd always advocate for giving Krikzz (and other actual hardware/software developers involved in other legit products) your hard earned money, rather than someone who just cloned his work and is selling it under their own name. Plus, you'd be getting a far higher standard of device, with continued support for years later.

Master of the Universe

Oh 100%, especially given it's a man trying to make a living in Ukraine! Was more just wondering about it from a technical standpoint.

I contacted Krikzz a little while ago about my broken Turbo Everdrive v1 (more to see if there was anything I could do to get it going myself) and he actually said I could return it for free to be fixed. This is a ten year old used product.

Once the postal address of Ukraine was sent along I decided to leave it, thought it would be taking the piss all things considered. Happy to just buy a Pro instead and see it as an upgrade.

Absolutely, he's a class act. I was buying a few bits on Ali there just this morning, and the amount of bootleg Everdrive rubbish popping up was unreal.

• Advertisement

Oh the N8, I did remember reading somewhere that it was OK'd by Krikzz. Hard to find text but I found this;

"...there does exist an officially released Chinese Everdrive N8 build available only in China. This build is not designed for buyers outside of China and will not be repaired by Krikzz under his warranty policy"

Prob not for the other Everdrive type products

Master of the Universe

Back in business! Worked a treat

Master of the Universe

This game is absolutely brilliant. You really can tell immediately that Resident Evil was originally going to be a Sweet Home remake.

I got shivers the first time I opened a door, was greeted with an animation of a door slowly opening, basically an 8 bit version of the Resident Evil loading screen between areas. Literally where it all started.

It has everything, resource management, limited slots to move your items into, wondering what items are actually used for, very Resident Evil-esque puzzles.

Couple that with turn based RPG battles and it's a really hard game to put down.

It almost feels like a modern retro 8 bit game, using 32 bit era game mechanics. Really hard to describe, such a shame it was never released in the west.

Fairly obvious reasons as to why :D - gore aplenty on the Famicom, would loved to have seen the faces on Nintendo of America when someone brought over a Famicom preview cartridge.

I am really looking forward to getting around to that game man, it's obviously as good as it's made out to be. Didn't @Retr0gamer do a run through of it relatively recently?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,003 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I ran through it at Halloween. It's a great game, my two complaints are that it gets significantly easier as you progress and you might need a faq at someof the more obtuse puzzles. Highly recommend it though as it's a unique experience and really works well as a horror game.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Started noticing it getting much easier through a long playthrough last night. The nature of the game being a survival horror means exploration and backtracking - however when coupled with RPG style levelling and random battles, you get accidental over-levelling.

Fights are now basically just press attack over and over until the monster is dead.

Not the main draw of the game either way, but it means the challenges are more around the puzzles. I am determined to hold out and not use an FAQ, so far so good... I'm sure something crazy obtuse is soon to come along though!

When I bought the first gen of the Turbo Everdrive, first release too, I found a bug and reported it via the relevant forum.

I got a reply from the man himself and an update was subsequently sent out to everyone who owned one.

I felt all kinds of special!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Had a craving to play Toy Commander on the Dreamcast, not the best gameplay so I'm not sure if it was very popular or well received but I always liked the novelty of driving or flying around in toy sized vehicles.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

Master of the Universe

Never hard of that, actually looks like a bit of fun. Reminds me a bit of Micro Machines mixed with Propeller Arena.

I'm almost through Sweet Home. There were definitely a couple of obtuse puzzles I had to get a bit of guidance on.

It was mainly due to the random battles though as mentioned above, it doesn't work well in that regard with the exploration elements.

There is also a really REALLY annoying attack a lot of enemies have later in the game, where they send one of your characters off to a random part of the mansion.

So there you are, trying to wander around figuring out the puzzles and where to go next, random battle - the enemy uses this attack and a character is then sent off miles away.

The character is trying to make their way back to the rest of the team and they get stuck on something, they don't have the item to get unstuck, so you have to then get one of your other characters to find said item and go to fish them out... but no, that character is now in a random battle and the same enemy has used the same attack on them and they've been sent off somewhere random too.

Luckily within the menu there's a quit button and you can load your last save. Actually the whole save feature is really really good. Can save anywhere and reload at any time you want.

I actually came across a game breaking bug which had no way out of other than reloading the last save. Thought that was something interesting to find in a game from '89.

Things that make the bug possible:

When you walk into a new room, you cant just walk back out the door, you have to walk one square into the room and then you can walk back out.

You can't walk through your team mates.

Here's the bug for anyone that's interested: (excuse the below blurry photo, took it in a rage as I hadn't saved in ages)

The four guys in a line in the middle are my team.

I'd first walked the three guys in front of the door into the room and stopped them where they are now.

I then walked the guy in white standing in the door into the room - he is now stuck and can't go forward into the room because he's blocked by characters, he also can't go back out the door as he needs to step into the room first.

Usually what you'd do here is select the three guys ahead of the stuck guy, move them into the room, the stuck guy can now walk in.

Problem which arose:

The guy stuck in the door is now holding a key item that triggers a cut scene which makes the guy on the top appear.

In this cut scene, you have to follow the guy who has appeared. You can't select the menu, so have no way of switching to anyone else.

The only character you can move is the guy stuck in the door with the key item and he can't go backwards or forwards.

Only option is to reload your last save. In this case, I think I hadn't saved in about an hour. You can get a lot done in an hour playing this game so it was definitely rage inducing.

So if anyone is going to play this, save and save often!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,003 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I came across a few areas I knew would be game breaking if I ran out of certain items and I did have one character get irretrievably stuck when a plank broke at the wrong time. It would be nice if the game took these into account but the game is short enough and with some pseudo rogue like elements anyway that I think it's ok that the game lets you **** up so you will be better next time. Glad to see you sticking with it.

Master of the Universe

I never thought of it that way but you're totally right, there's definitely that roguelike element where you have to die to figure some rooms out and then don't repeat the same mistake on the next playthrough.

That theory is really backed up by the save/reset game function being so available and easy to use in the menu.

You can't really get away with that game design anymore but sometimes it can be interesting when a game has the threat of having the player end up in an unwinnable situation. Resident Evil carried it forward I feel with the limited amount of ammo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Trying to kill Emporer Ing in Metroid Prime 2. Got through a few stages at lunch. Had much less success this evening.

It’s hard on thumbs in their 40s.

Master of the Universe

And that's Sweet Home done.

I can 100% say I would not have finished that without a guide. :eek:

Post edited by o1s1n on

Yep some of those puzzles were a bit... 8bit in how esoteric they are. Still a really unique enjoyable game.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

The white square items just labelled 'slide' were the peak of it for me. I thought they were actual slides you'd to sit on to slide into another area. Spent ages wandering around trying to figure out where you'd sit on them. At one point there's a train track in the basement and I was convinced it was something to do with that.

Don't want to give too much away for anyone else who wants to play the game but feel it is my civic duty to inform anyone I meet -these are actually projector slides!

How in god's name were you meant to know that.

Either way, great game. Trying to figure out what to play next now, any other good Japanese only fan translated NES games you can think of?

Actually I might go back to Rent a Hero on the Megadrive and finish it this time.

If you are talking about RPGs most NES RPGs are kind of basic, it took until Dragon Quest 4 and FF4 for JRPGs to become modern. DQ4 is better played on DS. One I'd recommend is Lagrange Point. It's a fairly basic RPG but the cart had a FM chip built in and it's by Konami so the music is incredible.

Radia Senki is a good Action RPG

If you want something really unique I'd recommend Metal Max. Not only is it a tank based RPG but it's also an open world game. And I don't mean open world as in the modern sense. It really gives the player a massive amount of freedom to do anything, even if anything is take on a super boss before they've left the starting areas.

For action games can't go wrong with Konami.

Castlevania 3 is a much better game on Famicom as it's not as mean with enemy damage.

The Wai Wai World games are a great bit of Konami fan service.

I've also been meaning to get back Arumana no Kiseki (miracle of almana), a konami platformer with a tricky movement mechanic but is a lot of fun once you get used to it.

So with SMT4: Apocalypse beat I decided to play another 3DS game, Super Mario 3D Land. I never actually finished this one back in the day. It's also way older than I expected so I guess it's retro.

Master of the Universe

Super Mario 3D Land is absolutely brilliant. I don't even want to look up how old it is as it still only feels like it was released yesterday...

Started Resident Evil:Survivor this evening using the PSX MiSTer core and a guncon. Thought the controls would work with a combination between the Guncon and Dualshock but it's 100% one or the other.

Very clunky until you get your head around it but once it clicks it's very interesting. Tank controls with a Guncon. One button turns left, one turns right, pull trigger and shoot off screen goes forward. Double tap off screen and you step backwards. Actually had quite a bit of fun with it.

That game gets a huge amount of **** and I never understood why. I really enjoyed it and it's one of the few games my dad really liked, although he gravitated towards lightgun games a lot.

It's only recently that I figured out why it's regarded as terrible, the usual case of the American's rewriting history. Survivor released in the US with the Guncon support disabled because of Columbine. So therefore the narrative has to be that it's crap.

So I beat Super Mario 3D Land. It was an absolute joy.

Next on my handheld list is Astroboy: Omega Factor. I'm not all that fond of Treasure's GBA games, Gunstar Super Heroes was a massive let down and I'm not sure what Advance Guardian Heroes was although I want to go back to it. I won't even comment on the Tiny Toons game although it actually feels very much like a prototype for Astroboy.

Anyway this game is already my favourite of Treasure's GBA games. The controls are both complex and intuitive, there's a lot of strategy needed and the boss fights so far have been incredible. It looks gorgeous as well and it a real love letter to the astroboy franchise.

Master of the Universe

Beyond Gunstar Heroes I never really looked into their GBA games, must check that Astroboy game out too.

I see they released a GBA Guardian Heroes game! didn't know about that at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Always appreciated Gamecentral (maybe still teletext back then?) going bit on their promotion of Astro Boy: Omega Factor back in the day, would have overlooked it otherwise. As well as feeling great to play and having some spectacular sprite work, it's also a surprisingly dense game, with lots of interesting design in terms of the secrets to find and the robust post-game / NG+ stuff.

It's very different from the saturn game. It's a strange game that will absolutely murder you if you haven't got the block mechanics down.

Astroboy is worth checking out. It's highly praised and I can see why.

• Advertisement

I have the original GBA cart here somewhere, I must go dig it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭barryribs

I got Puppeteer for a reasonable (ish) price off eBay, it's really good although I do feel like I'm missing out as it would benefit quite a lot with 3d with a lot of the switching between planes and the design of the game. As much as I love the PS3, I never actually tried anything in 3d on it. The TVs and glasses were always prohibitively expensive.

That is a ridiculously good game and, together with Tearaway on the Vita, came as close as Sony ever did to Nintendo heights in platforming, at least until the Astrobot titles, which are all too often locked away as tacit tech demos for Sony hardware.

So I kind of beat Astroboy, got the bad ending but it opens up a whole new time paradox new game plus where you can unlock new areas, remixed stages and bosses. The story changes up as well. Fantastic little game.

Anyway I'm in Greece for the next few days so probably won't be playing much games.

When I was doing the NAND replacement on my Wii U there a while back, I noticed that my Earthbound save is 10 years old in October. Hard to believe it was a decade ago playing it! I think it's only fair I go through it again this year at some stage. I can still remember a lot of the tunes from the game, despite playing it once, ten years back....truly memorable stuff.

Master of the Universe

Same here! I think a few of us played through it for the first time about ten years ago. I must see if that Mother 2 cart you TSOP modded for me still works as a matter of interest actually.

Don't think it's been fired up since and if I remember correctly there was a bit of a question as to what would happen to them long term.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'd be interested to hear if it still works. I imagine there's a question over the longevity of the cheap flash chips on those types of mods, especially back in that era of modding.

Forgot to mention I played a few hours of ninja gaiden 2. I loved the first ninja gaiden but 2 is just so much better. It's got the same amazing controls but fixes the big problem with the first game, enemies respawning if their spawn point aligns with the edge of the screen. The game is still tough but enemy placement is way better. Levels also throw in some new mechanics to keep things fresh.

The biggest change to the game is you can have two clones follow you which can be used in interesting ways. The bosses are really great.

Master of the Universe

Id forgotten how lovely this was, all absolutely mint. If I remember correctly they could be had for peanuts at the time.

Original ROM chip was still in the box too!

Tried it out and it still works perfectly.

My old save file is still there too

Master of the Universe

Think I'll fire that up for a bit of Sunday gaming. Love the first game but haven't much play time with the sequel at all

It's a lot better. I played a few hours and got to chapter 5. I think it's best to kind of play it like that and come back to older stages with your new skills.

• Advertisement
Advertisement