Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Doesn't matter, you said qualification is the measure of success for Ireland. That's just not true is it?

So now Trapp gets the sympathy card because he faced tough opposition, but Kenny is a failure for not qualifying v France and Netherlands 😂 The three performances were embarrassing in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

I wouldn't take that approach at all. We know France were going to win the group yet we should have considered ourselves in a three way competition for second place with Holland and Greece. Of course this would be highly ambitious but this is the sort of situation where Kenny can establish himself as a quality manager. Instead we are out tonight if we lose or draw. There is another way to qualify - via the Nations League play offs but Kenny's results are so poor in that we are unlikely to make a play off.

I think a big cause of disagreements in this thread is that delusional arm chair fans like you think that we should be competing with the likes of the Dutch (with the worst team in Irish football history) and anything else is an abject failure. At the other side of your mouth your saying defeat in the Euro 2012 was understandable. Clueless.

Armchair fan? I probably attended Lansdowne road to watch Ireland since before you were born.

So we now have the worst team in Irish history but a great manager in Stephen Kenny?

It's never Stephen Kenny's fault. Hence the title of the thread.

Stephen Kenny is a mediocre manager of a mediocre team.

If the LoI fans are willing to accept never qualifying for a tournament again, thats their choice, but don't have the hand out for 500 million from the government so.

The excuses making can continue as long as it doesn't cost a fortune for no results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,638 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Is the unyielding support for Kenny a generational thing more than a LOI thing, more than even style of play thing?

The impression I get is the most vocal supporters of Kenny are young lads - with the odd exception of the likes of Eamon Dunphy and Lisa Fallon.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I haven't said once that he's a great manager. An average manager of a poor team I would say. Yet you demand that we should be beating the Dutch. Utterly delusional..

You've dodged every question I've asked, but is your genuine belief that we could have qualified from this group with a different man in charge?

No one is saying we would have qualified. All I stated was that we should consider ourselves in a three way group with the Netherlands and Greece to possibly have a chance of qualification. This, I might add, would be the approach taken by Kenny and the expectation (however unrealistic) of the fans. We lost badly in Greece and not win tonight and we are out. . . . not even a sniff of a chance of qualification. Similar happened in the last campaign when we were beaten by Serbia and then Luxembourg at home. . . effectively out and the qualification group had barely started.

Yet there is another way to qualify - via the Nations League play offs. . . and looks as if we'll miss out on that. Why? Because Kenny's results in the Nations League have also been desperate.

Kenny is not an average manager. He's a poor manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭redseat1

I have no idea about the reference to LoI fans looking for 500 mill from the Government. What's this?

• Advertisement

It's quite the juxtaposition to spin "no other manager would have got us qualified" into something positive about Kenny.

We will lose tonight. Tomorrow morning Kenny should be sacked. He should have been sacked two years ago, quite frankly, but enough is enough. He's not a winner at international level and cannot produce results and that's what football is - a results business. 10,000 passes among the back four v Gibraltar won't cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

You didn't really answer the question posed there - do you think that even Pep Guardiola or Carlo Ancelotti would have been able to squeeze a qualification out of this Irish national team?

Guardiola or Ancelotti would have recognised the limitations of the squad at their disposal and not try to play the sort of football that Kenny is playing. He can barely break down Gibraltar with his tactics but keeps persisting with a failed strategy. It's a totally absurd argument anyway throwing hypotheticals like "What would Pep do?" in order, presumably to justify Kenny's poor record.

In 25 competitive matches under Kenny it's P25 W5 D7 L13 - the wins came against Gibraltar, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Luxembourg and Scotland.

Would another manager do better?

Yes, and therefore Kenny should do the decent thing and just go. It hasn't worked out for him and I'm sorry for that but that's just the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

The whole thing has been a complete sh1t show right down to when he started his role

Why Mccarthy was not let see out the Slovakia game was just stupid by both the fai and especially Kenny

Brain dead stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭redseat1

I find that old "it's a results business" to be such a joyless anti football cliche. We could go back to hoofball...but we don't know that it would produce better results against the likes of France and Greece away. The worst of all was the combination of hoofing and not getting results, which is what happened for much of Trap's regime, and O'Neill post 2016, and McCarthy's 2nd stint.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Id imagine this will be the end of Kenny. Could very easily ship a few here. Off the ball lads saying this dutch team are no great shakes. Well we will see. Ive seen little or nothing to suggest we'll get the 3 points we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭briany

Kenny will probably be gone at the end of this campaign, but he strikes me as a decent bloke who wants to do right by Irish football. However, I just don't think the players are there to truly implement the system he wants. I type this even as Ireland go ahead against the Netherlands. Lovely stuff. However, looking at it soberly, they probably won't have enough by the end of the campaign to get Kenny more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭Allinall

Master stroke by Kenny

• Registered Users Posts: 11,036 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well 1-0 up in this one - probably sit back & defend?

Amazing that John Egan a pl player cant control the ball and struggles to pass it 20 meters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Beautiful pass from Gakpo.

Yeah but Duffy playing them onside. Shocking defending. Could have been red for the goalie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭Allinall

Goalies (or defenders) never get a red now if a penalty is awarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I predict 3-1 Holland.

Normal service resuming now.

We'll have the SK fanboys justfying him staying because we played well for 1t minutes.

Imagine rooting against your own team because you don't like the coach. Pretty pathetic.

Imagine coming to that conclusion based on what i said.

You've only posted negative comments about the players. Despite them playing somewhat decently so far. What a sad existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭sully123

I think it might have been the linesman that flagged for the penalty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭waynescales1

McClean’s deliveries have been good, causing the Dutch problems.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement