Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,125 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Like how many people will not be able to get to a bus stop because of this? 3 or 4 at most?

Anyway isn't it the fault of whoever insisted on keeping parking spaces instead of a bus stop?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Indeed, the project only really affects me positively, but even I can see how they really handled the removal of bus stops in an underhanded way. First mention of them removing bus stops came after the works had started, with no major notice or consultation on those particular bus stops being removed. A lot of the people in the area are unaware as well, as there was no letter drop spelling out what was happening, only an online notice on the twitter, and even then that wasn't super clear either.

Massively support the need for this project, but the way that these removals have come about has left a sour taste in my mouth, and I'd say it might cause problems on the BusConnects infrastructure projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Jayuu

The restructuring of the bus stops on North Strand road is a bit odd all right because it's resulted in the two stops between Newcommen Bridge and Connolly coming closer together at the expense of longer distances on either side. Thgat goes for both inbound and outbound routes. For my commute the change is actually an improvment but I can see why a lot of people on the far side of Newcommen Bridge would be annoyed by this especially in the manner in which they were introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I can't claim to know everyone living on North Strand north of Newcomen Bridge, but one friend of mine lived in a property there with up to 15 others until recently. 2 bunk beds in her room so 4 people max per room. Apparently none were from Ireland, several from Brazil and others from all around the world. She wasn't personally aware that the bus stop wouldn't be replaced, and had accepted that walking from north Strand fire station would be the new norm.

Most people there apparently walked or took the bus, there being no space for bikes inside or space/safety for bikes outside.

Anecdotes aside, the H-spine of buses that serve most of the route will now not have a stop between 5 lamps and Store Street, making connections with Connolly Station very difficult instead of a trivial walk. It's an abject failure of planning and basic public transport concepts established for over 100 years by the likes of UERL (London Underground predecessor)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

The connection of the 53 with Connolly is absurd now too with a stop pretty much outside the petrol station/failte ireland offices. No doubt this new stop will better align with the new Preston Street Dart entrance to Connolly, but how long do we need to wait for that to be built given that planning permission for it is in limbo with APB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,690 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It’s the same outbound - the H Spine routes now don’t stop from outside Busaras on Beresford Place until just before the Five Lamps.

It’s a crazy gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭JRant

They really really really don't want to open the new cycle lanes inbound. Large parts of the route look finished but have barriers every 100 metres or so blocking them for what appears no good reason.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

It’s like they’re stringing the job out on purpose. Loads of bits left unfinished, couple of guys working here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I've given up trying to make sense of it anymore.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Well today just after the fire station inbound they were digging up the newly installed kerb stones that were recently laid. And the nice new tarmac as well. The minister of bicycles Ryan will be gone from office by the time it’s finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

And not an area you would like to walk through. Certainly not after dark.

Much safer driving.

This was planned way before ER ever got into government. It's amazing how everyone is putting some kind of blame on him for the continuing roadworks. They're probably digging something up because they f**ked up some wires or waterworks. All Eamon's fault of course and there'll be no more cycle lanes or carbon tax, or wind energy, or anything of the likes after the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

I assumed the bike brigade would comment on my reference to the minister for bicycles. My comment made reference to him with reference to his time left in office. As come the next election the Green vote will fall off the edge. You’re quite possibly correct about them messing up something but in this day & age mistakes similar to your reasoning shouldn’t happen. The Clontarf Road cycle path (kerbs) opposite Bay Restaurant was twice laid in the wrong place and had to be broken up and re installed twice. Rookie mistake.

So why did you have to mention Eamon Ryan at all? Do you think he micromanages every project you don't like in Ireland or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

"vote them out" is one of my favourite catchphrases. Can't wait to see how voting out politicians, that they never voted for anyway, is going to work out for these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭markpb

The new Google offices had to be substantially rebuilt because of problems during the build. An entire section of motorway had to be rebuilt because the road surface collapsed shortly after opening. Design and build problems happen to lots of projects. I’m almost all cases, one or more of the contractors will take the hit so the extra work costs the state nothing. Mountain / molehill.

Yeah it's funny. The Greens are ruining the city centre with cycle lanes, vote them out! I mean they're doing exactly what people who voted for them like myself wanted them to do.

I don't even understand the voting system but I think they'll lose lots of seats because they wont get transfers or second votes this time? Imagine voting for the Greens and then being annoyed when they bring the Climate Act into law and start favouring active travel and public transport over private cars lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I think the greens will lose out in the next election. Then people won't understand when the same plans and changes are still taking place. 😂

They'll still blame the previous green government. They blame the state of public transport on the greens, not FFFG ignoring it for 100 years.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The green party have next to nothing to do with Dublin City Council deciding to build cycle lanes, etc. People like @Sir Galahad like to credit the greens for various projects but it simply shows a lack of understanding of those projects. This is probably why they attempt to use stupid attempts at humour like referring to Ryan as the Minister for Bicycles as a way to divert attention to the obvious flaws in their claims.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The green party are single handedly deciding policy in this country and FFG have no say in the matter.

Or so you would think listening to the local cranks out my way

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

People seem to be getting very upset about infrastructure that includes bike infrastructure being built.

The truth of the matter is, road capacity is at its limit in the city. Sure we can add lanes but that would fill up quickly and go nowhere. And cost 100's of millions.

North strand probably carries around a thousand cars into the city an hour. This is really bad. That is 1000 people. Whereas a bus lane with only 50 busses per hour would have 4500+ people per hour. If you are in your car stuck in traffic you'd think that the bus lane is a waste of space but it is doing more work for the economy than the general traffic lane you are stuck in. A bicycle lane has an even larger capacity than the bus and car lane combined.

And more people cycling and using public transport will free up more space on the road for people who have to drive.

Cars require a lot of road space. A car (usually with one person) travelling at 50 km/h (if possible) needs around 40 metres of road. It can be surprising how low road capacity is for cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭downtheroad

If you can't walk a few hundred metres to a bus stop, then alternative travel is best for you. Maybe a taxi. What happens when the bus reaches its destination, do you jump on a broomstick and fly to wherever you are going if it's more than 300m away?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

Retired people get free travel passes, not free taxi passes. I'm not sure what is so difficult for "some people" to understand here.

The recommended distance between bus stops is 400m. For North Strand they decided 600m, despite being 50% below standard.

There is a very good reason the guidelines are 400m. Considering you also have to walk at the other end of your journey, if people have to walk "too long" to a bus stop.... usage of that service reduces quickly and people drive or simply don't leave (old people).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

600m between stops, so there' a stop at most 300m from any point on the road, rather than 200m that you propose. There's not many people that can get off a bus in town and walk around to do their business, but can't walk 300m rather than 200m to their bus stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭downtheroad

If said older person takes the bus to town they will have to walk far more than 300metres when they arrive at their destination. How long is Henry St or Grafton St for example? Far longer than 300m and there is no bus on either road. So that argument doesn't wash. If they can stroll around town to do their bits and pieces they cam stroll to the bus stop.

What you're failing to consider is basic human psychology. Human beings view the world in a very relative way, in everything we do.

Medium/long distance trip:

Frequency is lower so people are more likely to check timetables than rely on "turn up and go" service.

Assuming your bus takes 45-60mins, if you have to walk 5-10mins to a bus stop, that's acceptable. The fact you also have to walk when you alight, is not a major consideration for most people.

Short trips:

Frequency is higher and a "turn up and go" service is generally expected, though not always the reality.

Assuming your bus only takes 5-15mins, the time you spend 1) walking to bus 2) waiting for bus, 3) on the bus, and 4) walking once you get off.... all these become important factors.

If you walk 5-10mins to the stop, you might have to wait another 5-10mins for a bus. Then, it's a bus that only goes to Talbot St. So I wait for the next one. Then that bus changes driver on the quays. The whole journey is just frustrating.

Now, DCC come along and double the distance I have to walk to get to that same bus. This does nothing but discourage people to use the service.

Also, it should be obvious that everyone doesn't live on the main street. There are side streets and apartments well off the main street.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭alentejo

There are many places in the Suburbs which have bus stops way in excess of 400 m. I don't really agree with many elements of Busconnects, however the removal of some bus stops in my opinion is welcome.

People who live in the suburbs should think of this as a trip to the local village centre. Would you?....

1) 25mins walk

2) 5mins cycle

3) 5mins drive

4) 25mins walking to and from buses????

Clearly in that situation, if you make the bus choice less attractive, more people will drive to the local centre, which isn't sustainable or an option for everyone especially older people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,690 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You do have to factor in the distances walk to the main road where the bus operates as well.

That’s often why bus stops can be closer together than some people might like - in some housing estates people could be walking 600m metres or more to the estate exit before you take the stop locations into account.

Moving stops to increase the distance can be a deciding factor in putting people off from using the bus rather than driving.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

Advertisement