Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The "did they get to the euros ken?" audiobed is hilarious, only heard it the other day. It's relentless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah, one of the best, and the best bit is Ken's "nice" remark at the end 😁

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭MattressRick

I normally like Miguel Delaney but his tone I thought was like he was looking down his nose at Ireland. He's based in England but for someone to be there to talk about the Ireland performance, he didn't give a monkeys about Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I thought his assessment was pretty much the same as the lads which I'd agree with. They were as positive as you could be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭healy1835

I think I'll stick with my tickets for the Olympia...Jesus wept.

The best everything involves Ken

Aaron Aardvark... I may have had a few Budweisers... Cheer up? Why don't you fkkin' WAKE up?... The main thing is I have a seat and I think nobody saw... Feels so good against the skin... HE'S CONTROLLED IT BASKETBALL STYLE

Scrap the cap!

Sweet Jesus. I'm guessing Gilroy signs off on everything. The notions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

**** hell. The venue will probably combust with the level of cringe

• Advertisement

Five. FIVE WORLD CUPS

Great article in the IT today from our Ken

Stephen Kenny didn’t want to be like the old men in the supposed Greek proverb. He intended to be around to sit in the shade of the trees he was planting in his early days as manager.

Unfortunately, his saplings are not sprouting fast enough to shield him from the harsh glare of the criticism that comes with four failed tournament groups in a row.

The population pyramid of Irish men’s football has an hourglass shape, like a country that lost a major war a couple of decades ago. We have some decent young players, and some decent older players, but not much in between.

Imagine Arsenal had taken the [Martin] O’Neill approach when they learned in the summer that Manchester City were also trying to sign Rice. Imagine Mikel Arteta had thought, “Well, to be honest, with City he’ll make more money, win more trophies, he’ll work with Pep, play with Haaland … frankly, it’s a no-brainer. I can’t stand in his way on this. When City come calling and give you a chance, then obviously you’re going to take it.”

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I can usually take or leave the Saturday rte interview they do but I thought Michael Sheen was good today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

an analysis that centers on the lack of the 24-30 experience on the team while ignoring that players in that bracket were prime contenders for our worst performers in Athens (lenihan & odowda).

the Grealish & rice bollocks still getting an airing aswell. Ken’s fixation along with the evils of let it flow.

unfortunately Kenny and his coaches just didn’t have the ability at this level of management. We must move on from Kenny soon and move on to someone not mentioned as a contender yet because the contenders being put forward are deeply worrying.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I did like Ken's story about interviewing Michael Sheen during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

He was superb, wasn’t he? As the lads said themselves, you just get out of his way and let him talk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Shank Williams

I hope heaslips tweet gets discussed on Monday. By Ken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭gluppers

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

RTG* stuff.

*Rugby Tech Guy

Funiest I've seen Twitter in a long while.

• Advertisement

Surely they didn't make him do the "take your medals and your trophies and put them into the biggest dustbin you can find, because you've won them all by cheating" thing 😁

He was great as Kenneth Williams, did they ask him about that 😁

Scrap the cap!

I'm by no means aboard the Kenny fanbus but the massive damage Delaney and the useless managers he appointed did cannot be overlooked.

"Did he get to the Euros Ken?" well, yeah, kinda, but left the national team in a decrepit state while allowing at least two great talents to slip away.

Scrap the cap!

I don’t really see it that way. I don’t think Martin O’Neill or trap were heroes or great men or anything but they justified their reigns by getting us to the money offered for tournament qualification.

as for letting “two great talents slip away”, I think that is utterly deluded nonsense personally but that’s just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Couldn’t but laugh at Ken invoking O’Neill like that in the article where he finally acknowledges he was wrong about Kenny.

believing we were ever in the race for Grealish once he began to bang and England showed interest is deluded. Believing anyone who is good enough to play for England would ever play for Ireland when their only link to Ireland is a grandparent is deluded.

For Rice, ok deluded is probably not the right word. We could have probably cap trapped him if we called him up and played him versus Moldova.

but saying it was a major mistake to not do that is extreme use of 20/20 hindsight. Dion fanning and Ken, both of whom are the worst culprits for moaning about not cap trapping Rice. But there is more context to it then is ever discussed

• Ken never said at the time that we should be tying down Rice vs Moldova. Yet feels totally entitled to moan about it in retrospect
    • john Egan was in Brentford’s team at the time but wasn’t in the squad. If they cap trapped rice it would be a slap in the face to Egan. If you’re putting it out there that players will get picked for reasons other than merits it’s a bad thing to put out there.
    • moldova needed to be beaten, cap trapping offers the manager up as a hostage to fortune if the result does not go in your favour.
    • i guess elite sport is cut throat but cap trapping players is not a great practice to be at. It’s wrong in my view. I don’t know how someone like Ken doesn’t see it’s a bit of a **** thing to do.

Total rubbish. A substitution still counts as a cap, doesn't matter if it's only for a few minutes. Nobody is getting "trapped", if they don't want to play for Ireland then don't f**king play for Ireland...

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

O’Neil should have locked in Ricsssssssshhhhhhhhh and Jack the lad forever and ever.

Post edited by EltonJohn69 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭healy1835

'Trapping' Mark Lawrenson, Andy Townsend, John Aldridge etc worked out pretty good for us in the past no?

you didn’t address the full context I gave but in any case…

If you have objections to the use of the word “trapped” where the plan is to give a 18 year old a competitive cap they haven’t earned on merit, to shutdown the risk of the 18 year old defecting to their preferred country then I just don’t think we see these situations in the same way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Kenny was worth the gamble, but hard to see his replacement being much better, whoever that may be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

I dont see how any replacement of Kenny could be any worse results wise. I was a big supporter of Kenny and i think he was needed at the time but he's not the man to take us to the next stage. We've been repeatedly found wanting when a plan B is needed and i think it showed up Kenny's tactical naivity which was not to the standard for international management. He brought through a lot of players and we've more coming from the under 19s/21s so i think we'll be ok going foward.

The question is who do we get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Tactics were spot on over the last two games. If Evan Ferguson is playing we probably win that game. Adam Idah had a stinker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

I think tactics started off very well in the first half of the last two games but once the opposition changed their approach Ireland were unable to adapt. Even taking France and Netherlands out of it, who are better sides than us, this has happened repeatedly under Kenny. We seem to have a decent plan A but theres nothing after it if it doesnt work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Lee Carsley is bookie's favourite. I reckon they'll give Kenny the Greece game, if we beat Greece then surely that's about level par for the group?

Irrelevant fact - Lee visited my class when I was in 2nd yr in school as Derby were playing a friendly v Galway United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Michael Sheens Father

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Did he not represent us at underage level a lot ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

It’s quite mad listening to Ken criticising Kenny for doing and saying the exact same things he was doing and saying a year or two ago when Early was defending him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Pretty sure it was Wednesday, didn't listen to them in order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

Its hard to see someone do better then 5 wins in 26 games? Alright..... I think I'll set my expectations a little higher then that personally.

FAI have f*ck all money though, it's like some lads think Guardiola will do the job for pennys we ask him nicely enough.

This argument of letting Kenny see out the campaign for dignity is a load of ****. What happens if we lose at home to Greece.? There's no dignity in that

Delaney spoke superbly as to why he should go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

His point was that O'Neill didn't advocate for Ireland. He didn't go on a push to promote the benefits of playing for Ireland. He didn't set the public tone that Ireland was a positive place to be.

It was a snapshot into his whole attitude towards the job at the time. Every game was to be suffered through, there was no point thinking tactically about a game etc.

Even when he went to set the record straight recently he took the stance that there was little point to making an effort. He could have lied and said he did everything he could to keep Rice in the background. No one is ever going to dispute it. Rice will probably never talk about Ireland again. O'Neill couldn't even pretend he cared now.

Damien Delaney was excellent today on the pod. I actually thought he really showed up Richie, in terms of Richie's "well what would you do?" approach to the discussion.

Seemed to be a little bit of niggle between Ken and Damien on the pod today. Men ; at it.

Ken's comment about Obama was particularly mealy mouthed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Yeah, that was a bit weird from Ken. Always thought Delaney and Kerr were a bit too harsh on Kenny, but he spoke brilliantly today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

The idea at senior international level that both parties would be keen to see out a contract because one side seems like a nice bloke, who can be tactically naive or worse oblivious to an opponent's tactical changes just so he doesn't have to get the dreaded call that he's sacked is lunacy. He won't go if there's any money he would walk away from if he walked himself and that's fair enough. I don't understand the logic that at the level he's managing at that he would want to stay in the job because he's a great lad and people feel sorry for him, that's mad stuff too Bill. Kenny always whole heartedly defends himself, he knows the business, from the post match interview last night where he had zero answers he knows at all levels the game is up - you don't need to be a mind reader to have seen that. For some on the pod today to think it's the right thing to keep him in the position because he's an Irish "football man" in his dream job is beyond me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement