Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WFH letter

Options
  • 10-09-2023 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Having lived in the U.K. for the last 10yrs, my wife and I are looking to relocate back to the west.

BS have asked us for a letter from both our employers in the U.K. to say that we can work remotely and in Ireland for the mortgage. Once we relocate we will find suitable employment in Ireland.

The request just states, to be able to work remotely and from Ireland… any experience what wording is required? Will it need to explicitly state a few days a week min.?

Having recently changed career I don’t want my employer to balk at even the thought of it, it may take me a while to find suitable employment so I may need to work in the U.K. until I land in something.

Post edited by sunny_side_up on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I have never heard of this particular request. It seems very strange to me.

Is this for setting up an EBS account?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Either way it's an odd request unless the bank suspects the income details being provided will not hold after the OP moves. It sounds like the OP wants a semi fraudulent letter saying their employment and income will not change while they, in fact, seem to be planning new employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sunny_side_up

its for an mortgage. I guess the bank wants some assurance of earnings of what we could earn at home, and if we weren’t able to get employment continue working in the U.K. short term

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I would have though the obvious route would have been to say you are buying but not planning on living in it, you will be remaining in the UK for the foreseeable. A family member bought in Galway but got a mortgage here despite living and working in the middle east. They went through a broker, maybe you should too, but it wasn't an issue. If you want the name of their broker I can find out and PM you, they said loads of people over there use one and its fairly cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There's major tax and legal issues for employers when employees move country. If the employer doesn't have an Irish office there's little chance the OP will be able to move here and keep their job, so the bank wants to know that they will have a job to pay the mortgage when they move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I have heard of banks asking for proof from employers that staff are allowed to work from home, but only within Ireland. One specific example I know of was someone whose office was in Dublin but they were buying a home in Sligo. The bank wanted confirmation from the employer that the employee could WFH.

There was also some recent Revenue changes about working outside the country ...

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭dennyk

It's a common request these days when people are looking for a mortgage to buy a home that isn't within a reasonable commuting distance of their workplace. Without verification, there would be a very high risk to the bank that the borrower is going to quit their job (or be sacked when they refuse to come into the office or their employer finds out they're working from another country without authorisation) and thus lose the income the loan was based on in the first place.

Advertisement