Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG TV - 16months old no longer working

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    There is no 2 years eu warranty or Irish 6 years warranty. A warranty is something that the manufacturer offers on top of your statutory rights.

In Ireland we have eu statutory rights and Irish statutory rights. Most retailers claim not to be aware of statutory rights and point to the manufacturer warranty. Quite often the warranty is the quickest route. Outside of the warranty sometimes you have to threaten or go the small claims court route to enforce your statutory rights

Didn’t answer the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Dav010 wrote: »
    This is not true. After 6 months the burden switches to the buyer to prove a fault exists in the item.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/shopping/repairs_replacements_and_refunds.html

There is a huge difference between analysing a problem and demonstrating a problem. The Op can easily demonstrate that the tv does not work thus proving a fault exists.
    In addition a tv that fails after 16 months is “not fit for purpose” .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Cerco wrote: »
    There is a huge difference between analysing a problem and demonstrating a problem. The Op can easily demonstrate that the tv does not work thus proving a fault exists.
    In addition a tv that fails after 16 months is “not fit for purpose” .

Up to 6 months there is an assumption that the fault existed when it was purchased, after 6 months the onus transfers to the buyer to prove it existed when bought. Just because it no longer works does not automatically mean it was faulty, as other posters have said, a fault caused by a power surge is not a manufacturing fault and does not mean the TV was not fit for purpose when sold. Did you read the link I posted? The pertinent part is the text in the box relating to pre/post 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Dav010 wrote: »
    Up to 6 months there is an assumption that the fault existed when it was purchased, after 6 months the onus transfers to the buyer to prove it existed when bought. Just because it no longer works does not automatically mean it was faulty, as other posters have said, a fault caused by a power surge is not a manufacturing fault and does not mean the TV was not fit for purpose when sold. Did you read the link I posted? The pertinente part is the text in the box relating to pre/post 6 months.

I am very much aware of the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act.
    What is “pertinent “ is decided by a court.

Do you understand the concept of “fit for purpose”.

If a component fails after such a short period (16 months) then it or another component part of the circuitry was “not fit for purpose”

A well designed and properly manufactured piece of electronic equipment should not fail in such a short period. The six month period covers the concept of component infant mortality, but then the component life moves into sustainability.

Speculation on a power failure being the cause is just that “speculation”
    The retailers technical resource would determine the nature of the fault.
    A purchaser is not required to have the technical expertise to determine the cause of failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

whiterebel wrote: »
    So how do you go about enforcing this EU warranty? The retailer refuses to fix it point blank. What next?
    whiterebel wrote: »
    Didn’t answer the question?

There is no EU warranty & no Irish warranty. We do have EU & Irish statutory rights. The answer to the question is the small claims court. Unfortunately many retailers, including large retails, claim ignorance of our rights & instead point to the manufacture warranty. The only option open to you is small claims court

Business must now have someone trained & appointed to GDPR, Someone trained in Covid 19 protection but sadly there is no push for business to have someone trained in consumers rights. This strikes me as very odd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Cerco wrote: »
    I am very much aware of the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act.
    What is “pertinent “ is decided by a court.

Do you understand the concept of “fit for purpose”.

If a component fails after such a short period (16 months) then it or another component part of the circuitry was “not fit for purpose”

A well designed and properly manufactured piece of electronic equipment should not fail in such a short period. The six month period covers the concept of component infant mortality, but then the component life moves into sustainability.

Speculation on a power failure being the cause is just that “speculation”
    The retailers technical resource would determine the nature of the fault.
    A purchaser is not required to have the technical expertise to determine the cause of failure.

I agree it is speculation, but a retailer is within their rights to charge the consumer to investigate the source of the problem, if it is found to be a manufacturing fault, of course the consumer is entitled to redress under SOGaSA.

I certainly do understand the term “fit fit purpose”, I also understand that failure can occur due to actions/events beyond the control of the retailer/ manufacturer, for instance misuse or electrical surges. Again, if, and that is only an if, the fault was caused by a power surge, then neither the retailer nor the manufacturer are responsible for this. If the retailer agrees to open the unit and sees fried circuitry, then there is absolutely no guarantee the SCC will see this as it being not fit for purpose.

You said what is pertinent is what the Court decides, that decision must take into account the legislation on which its decisions are based, so I’m going to refer you back to the link I posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I bought a TV a few years ago.
    It just stopped working after about 2.5 years.
    Calls to Powercity did absolutely no good. Just got stonewalled.
    I wasnt going to give up. I had paid over €3k for that tv.
    I paid €40 for a solicitor to send a letter to them and within 2 weeks I had a refund.
    Might be worth seeing if you can find a solicitor that deals in these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

I know, I was lucky as it was sorted out very well in the end. But being called a liar is the ultimate insult to me. I can trace it all back to an incident in 4th class when I was wrongfully accused of something by the teacher!

Nothing in that response suggests that they are responding to your incorrect threat of action under the EU directive.

The EU directive does not apply here and HN would have known that.

Panasonic probably did this as a goodwill gesture as you had no contract with them.

So I am correct that your assertion of threatening them with EU law did not elicit the response as your contract was with HN and they did not provide any remedy to you.

You may have thought so, but any recompense you got was goodwill gesture by panasonic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

silver2020 wrote: »
    Nothing in that response suggests that they are responding to your incorrect threat of action under the EU directive.

The EU directive does not apply here and HN would have known that.

Panasonic probably did this as a goodwill gesture as you had no contract with them.

So I am correct that your assertion of threatening them with EU law did not elicit the response as your contract was with HN and they did not provide any remedy to you.

You may have thought so, but any recompense you got was goodwill gesture by panasonic.

I did well then, fine. But don't call people liars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

I did well then, fine. But don't call people liars.

I did not call you a liar - I said it was "possibly" made up as it simply did not add up as you had stated - and it doesn't. You got a goodwill refund which many decent retailers and suppliers will do (eg, buying something in a shop and changing your mind, shop gives you refund. They don't have to, but they do so hoping that you will continue to buy from them)

Too many people, harp on about this eu legislation not realising that they are wrong and actually have stronger rights. Posts that say someone was "successful" stating this eu law just re-enforce this error and make people look foolish when they quote it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

silver2020 wrote: »
    I did not call you a liar - I said it was "possibly" made up as it simply did not add up as you had stated - and it doesn't. You got a goodwill refund which many decent retailers and suppliers will do (eg, buying something in a shop and changing your mind, shop gives you refund. They don't have to, but they do so hoping that you will continue to buy from them)

Too many people, harp on about this eu legislation not realising that they are wrong and actually have stronger rights. Posts that say someone was "successful" stating this eu law just re-enforce this error and make people look foolish when they quote it.

Just to be clear here. Ireland signed up to Directive 1999/44/EC. It was introduced into Irish law in June 2014. The minimum guarantee is for two years BUT member states are allowed to have longer periods. Ireland has 6 years. It isn't wrong to quote EU guarantee when dealing with retailers. The mistake most people make is believing that Directive 1999/44/EC is only a 2 years legal guarantee. Many Irish people believe that we opted out. We didn't.
    3. (1) Subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), these Regulations are in addition to, and not in substitution for, any other enactment relating to the sale of goods or the terms of contracts concluded with consumers, and in particular —

(a) the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Acts 1893 and 1980,

and

(b) the European Communities (Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1995 ( S.I. No. 27 of 1995 ).

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2003/si/11/made/en/print

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Im unclear, is the Sale of Goods Act 1980 the best to quote when dealing with a seller of a tv where they are insisting on a repair? I was told, its the law and they have a right to offer to repair first. I see from the CCPC website, they say for goods bought on or before 28th Nov 2022, that you can reject the item and get a full refund, I'm only looking for a like for like replacement, so not even a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭grinder23

Repair refund or replace in no particular order I would say any retailer is entitled to offer repair as a 1st port of call as long as it's carried out in a reasonable time frame

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Gooser14

The CCPC info includes the following:

"If the business fails to repair or replace the item within a reasonable timeframe, you can request a full refund."

Advertisement