Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

He got into the WhoScored championship TOTS. Maatsen as you said was picked as the LB for TOTS and also made the PFA TOTS recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I don't think they'll sack him either way after tonight, but they can't give him another campaign either. The money will determine when they sack him, and without a pot to piss in, doubt they'll pay him off.

At least there's experience in the ranks now, don't think there'll be anyone who should have a string load of caps but don't (bar maybe Manning), which is what Kenny was left with. He can't say he hasn't had a fair crack of the whip though either, the course has been run.

Zero idea who will come in. Carsley would make sense but doubt England will let go too easily. Don't think there's any players coming through that are going to make them significantly better either, primarily in midfield so a tough job for anyone to come in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

But Ireland does not have the money for the infrastructure simple as that, where is that money going to come from. There are two far more successfully run organisations in Ireland to paraphrase Lisa Fallon 'capture hearts and minds' - GAA and the IRFU. It is only for a small percentage like yourself that lOI represents a sense of community, The Irish soccer fans don't get that from LOI - it supplemented by GAA or IRFU, Or thirdly supporting a big British PL league team as they travel over once a month (not really 'community' in the natural sense but a created one.

You only need to look at boards.ie loads of Rugby/GAA threads - the soccer threads are dominated by specific ones for big British clubs. Meanwhile the dedicated LOI fans get one thread and band together.

I was thinking about it there with all the talk of the 'future of Irish football' I see a similar solution. Create links with smaller contintental European teams and LOI teams. Much more chance of getting game time and developing than going to English teams not getting in- then fading out of the game.

The future of Irish football and ongoing issues not going to be saved by Stephen Kenny throwing in a load of players and hoping. Kenny getting Ireland to 'play from the back' (however effectively or ineffectively) is not going to change Irish football.

St Patrick's Athletic Director of Football Ger O'Brien. (from the article above)

"We were probably one of the only top leagues around Europe where the top clubs were not running academies for the so-called best players at any given age group.

"It's not a slight on the schoolboys clubs, who have done a fantastic job, but the onus has shifted onto LOI and the landscape has changed."

"We need to make things better here. You just can't sit back and blame the FAI and blame investment; we all know we need more investment at underage level.

"We need to be able to do as much as we can for them here, on what is a shoestring budget. Without funding, I'd worry for our elite players down the line."

If they wanted to do that it would make more sense to keep Kenny at the lower under age structure. But they put him in charge of the Senior side? That is where the players who are near the finished product should be IMO

The future begins way earlier. Senior international football is a results business, it is not really meant to be used as a development squad where results don't matter. Then with each poor result Ireland's seeding drops and it can become even harder to get out of groups. A vicious circle.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

No different to Vera Pauw he's not going to be sacked, if they don't want him to continue in the role, he just won't be offered a new contract.

If we exceed expectations in the next 4 games and it looks like we're seeing progress he could be offered a new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,226 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Sacking him mid campaign after we have failed to qualify would be "for the sake of sacking him"

It would just be performative nonsense to show the FAI "are doing something".

That is unless the FAI already have his replacement lined up which I highly doubt they would have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was thinking what result could save Kenny and give him more time (another contract) one that realistically might happen?

A miracle win v Holland might save him it can be talked up and dined out on. It could be spun in a positive way or a battling defeat. Even if Ireland get a few shots on the Dutch goal that could be made into a positive. Maybe even a goal?

The Irish players certainly should not be nervous there is zero expectations on them. It has never been lower IMO, plus no one expects Ireland to beat Holland. The talk is of 'progress' the 'future' etc.

So in theory the players should be able to implement Kenny's 'philosophy' if he thinks that the Irish players coming through have 'quality' and are 'exciting' as he said when he took the job back in 2020. Isn't it about time they show it?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

So is it going to be a similar starting XI except Doherty for Browne or will Doherty move across to LWB.

Post edited by johnnyryan89 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Doherty is gack left so have him RWB, shift Browne to Midfield and start McClean LWB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Anyone listening to the lad on rte radio?

Is he from the42?

Something that weirdly goes against him for me is we are not "bad + limited" any more. He has done half the job very well and brought on a much better group of players than he started with (and was the first manager in years to be brave enough to bring kids in)

But as I have said before much like Southgate he now needs to achieve something significant with this team he brought on or it's time to go (and by go I mean offered a different job in the FAI because he clearly has some talents)

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

Clubs are investing in acadamies, players are coming through and LOI clubs are starting to get decent transfer fees. LOI attendances are way up, with many games sold out. The demand is there for live football here at home. The FAI put forward a very good infrastructure plan, so lets see if the government puts its money where its mouth is.

So if the senior team in a finishing school and not a development squad as you called it, where were our younger players going to get game time? Manager after manager in the last 10 years as good as stayed with the same old same old which meant the likes of John Egan at 28/29 had 6 caps. MON and Mick had no interested and maybe no remit from the FAI to blood players, it was qualify at all costs to cook the books. This is why we are now struggling.

Kennys biggest critics, including Richard Dunne said he didnt feel comfortable in international football until he had 20 caps. Many of our squad are only heading towards that now. Kenny sbould have had them more competitive but with younger inexperienced players your going to have mistakes.

Its most likely time to move on from Kenny. But i guarentee you whoever does come in will be glad of the job Kenny did in bringing in players and getting them 15-20 caps.

22 years ago this month we shocked the Dutch in Dublin and went on to finish second in that group. Though ten years ago on this day it was Traps last game as Ireland manager before getting sacked the next day.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

If only the same people had been as desperate to get rid of Delaney as they haven't been Kenny we might not be in this mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭secman

Delaney was a crook FFS, couldnt sleep in a straight line.. comparing that yoke to Kenny is absurd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭secman

As the FAI are truly in the red , finance wide, prudence would say run down his contract, no pay off incurred and be working from now putting a dossier in place identifying possible candidates.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Too many people in Ireland (and sports in general) couldn't be arssed to look past the easy target. I don't think every person who dislikes Kenny is a fair weather fan but too many sports fans think success just happens.

As a Limerick hurling fan I have seen first hand the difference between a well run long term plan and a "hit and hope" approach.

What bravery? How is it brave to be selecting the likes of Cullen, Ferguson, Collins, Bazunu over the likes of semi-retired/retired Whelan, Long, Keogh and Randolph?

Its so wildly overstated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,017 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Please be the wrong team

• Advertisement

Doherty in at RWB with Browne moving into midfield for Molumby.

"What bravery? How is it brave to be selecting the likes of Cullen, Ferguson, Collins, Bazunu over the likes of semi-retired/retired Whelan, Long, Keogh and Randolph?"

Because no one else was doing it. Other Irish managers (especially Trap) were very slow to bring on young players in an attempt to chase quick results (which rarely got us anywhere) and plenty of the anti Kenny crowd were screaming for journey men on here.

The "minnows" that have been beating us done so by putting long term plans in place. Teams like France and England are good because they copped that you need long term plans.

Look I'm not gonna argue that Kenny is amazing or even that good but the theory behind his appointment was 100% what Ireland needed to do.

Just looking at the Dutch team it is a very beatable team.

Maybe not by us right now but by a half decent team.

But theres no alternative but to select them now as the incumbents have finished.

Kenny is doing what all managers have done and is generally picking the best options available. Its not revolutionary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

This is all set up for Weghorst to suddenly look like a world beater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

a starting XI wih Five title winners in major European leagues and all of them key players in that success.

one of the most exciting young talents in the world in xavi simons.

coming off a 3-0 win over a team that dominated and beat us.

I don’t see it.

Dutch starting XI

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DAngelo Bailey

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Of course not. They only care about going on a piss up.

Most of them only think this mess is Kenny’s fault and fail to see the real impact of the Delaney era

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Yes, it’s overstated. But it’s disingenuous to ignore that there were a few players he capped much sooner than a Mick McCarthy or other past managers would have - because he has more knowledge of these guys from LOI or underage (e.g Ogbene, Omobamidele and a couple of others too). Bit of course anyone would have capped Ferguson, Bazunu, Collins. etc.

"Title winners in major European leagues" is misleading. Van Dijk for instance is shte right now.

Beatable but not by us as I said.

some might say deeming Van Dijk as currently shite is fairly misleading

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Few questions but why is Duffy marked as captain in the FAI socials and not Egan? A constant reminder that Kenny does not trust Ryan Manning. Manning is well able to deliver from set pieces as well so it's not that.

Captaincy usually rotates between Egan and Duffy when Colman isn't playing.

Like who. Outside of Liverpool fans.

Bazunu would have probably been capped but would a more conservative manager have went with him as no.1.

like who? Premier league forwards id imagine. I don’t know any man utd or man city or Arsenal fans calling him shite.

He’s playing in a club team that plays a high line and has 2 full backs expected to bomb on and one that is at times weak defender, behind a creaking midfield last season.

tonight he plays in a back 3 beside two strong defenders.

very different.

Despite it all, I still get a great sense of hope tinted belief just before these games.

COYBIG

Just google "Van Dijk form". Plenty seem to agree with me.

Fair enough if you think the different system will see a different Van Dijk but I don't.

I also have little faith in Koeman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Tandey

Don't remember seeing any other head of state come down for a hand shake like this at matches. Holding up the show. Quite awkward really. Does it happen elsewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Frenkie De Jong's eyes look like pi$$holes in the snow. Hopefully he enjoyed the Irish hospitality a bit too much last night.😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

My guess is Holland win 2-1.

No, huge chance there.

Adam Idah 100% believed he was offside there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭omega man

Pen!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Penno! Bloody hell!

oof, dunno if they'll give that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Come on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Braindead ffs.

• Advertisement

Oh my god