Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 RWC Buildup, Squads, Fixtures 'etc'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Watching VMTV, what are they saying on ITV re. the ref?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I guess that would have been one speed bump to overcome.

Yes he’s been poor. Would respect him a lot more if he owned it.

Fiji pretty much embodies everything you would want to promote if you want rugby to grow as a sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

probably what was going through his mind as ball was coming to him, I need to cut left as much if possible to give 10 a chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭almostover

17-9 penalty count with Wales having more. Wonder how many of those were in the 22?

Fiji will be kicking themselves, over 1000 running meters to 500 odd for Wales. Huge possession and territory. The difference in game management was the difference between the teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

It was basically 20secs, the host ask if the ref let Wales off .. Thomas said if he was honest Wales were lucky re: yellow cards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

very brief mention of fiji feeling hard done by with yellow and no card. Everything else about wales. Unsurprising with 3 Welsh pundits only including the disgraceful Gareth Thomas

Kearney always had balls. Back to 2009 in Ireland camp calling out lads 10 years his senior who he thought gave more for their province. Lads are always talking sh*te about his accent but he was brave on and off the field.

By the way I'm not belittling any province or going down that road. Just it took courage to air that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Looked to me like a no arms tackle in the middle of the field in Fiji's last play. Really baffled by the TMO intervention non intervention, lack of replay this tournament. Conspiracy me would say they don't want people picking apart the performance of each ref, especially given SA history, but there is a massive change in behaviour

• Advertisement

I am genuinely quite sick and disgusted by that. I love rugby, have done since I was a child, but that kind of 💩 would turn you off the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

One huge turning point was the kick to touch that Liam Williams stopped in the corner with 5 minutes to go.

A line out five metres out with 15 v 14 would have been a big platform to go on and win it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It was an unnecessary pass and they should have just put it through the hands but LRZ was nowhere near him, certainly not "on top" of him.

Not that it matters at this point I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭TheRona

Yeah, it didn't really happen that way.

Each time Wales were warned, they didn't get penalised again. You could argue that the ref took too long to warn them, but Wales played to what they could get away with when they could.

Very frustrating from a Fiji perspective, they must be kicking themselves.

Rassie Erasmus is another blight on the game. He has YouTube channels going through every major countries play pointing out 'illegalities'. Much and all as we laugh at FIFA, no international background team member or manager has power like him. That lamp crack today pushing the rules every which way he can.

I don't think anyone is blaming Wales, just the clear bias of the match officials

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ultimately the TMO highlighted the clear foul play (no arms tackle) on Fiji during the knock on in the act of scoring and thought the double movement try at the end was good, but was overruled both times by Carley (very incorrectly for the first one at least, second was more questionable).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Don't expect much, it was Roberts, Thomas and Warburton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Enzokk

What I find a little frustrating is that it seems there has been directive from World Rugby to not show questionable plays on replay and to leave it for the TV refs, but leaves you questioning whether they are missing things or if those plays were okay. I don't care about referee ego's, I just want the correct decision to be reached.

Fiji were unlucky with the referee, he seemed to reset the warning for Wales but surely it should have been another yellow once they gave away the penalty in the 22 at the end. Fiji could have won if they made less mistakes, but it doesn't mean you forget the terrible refereeing display.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Aside from anything else, I think anyone slagging someone for their accent, whether it be Rob Kearney, or the examples we saw of Fiona Hayes earlier on here, is out of line tbh...

I know Fiji made mistakes, but Wales did too. The variable was the differing treatment of the teams by the referee.

If that’s aimed at me, I didn’t say anything about her accent, but I do expect commentators (male or female) to understand the rules. I’ve criticized ALL of the commentary teams so far btw as they’ve all been terrible IMO. I’ve not criticized her because she’s female (which I assume is your angle here), but being female does not give her a pass for a lack of knowledge on the rules of the game she’s being paid to commentate on. Btw, I think Alan Quinlan (as usual) is the worst commentator so far.

100%. Our accents are just a product of our background, education, travel, workplaces and so on. Absolutely no way to judge or make assumptions about people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Hard to feel much pride or joy in the sport after what happened today. We see it over and over, being better than their opposition isn't enough for tier 2 teams they need to be significantly better and have a slice of luck as well to record a win. It's not a level playing field.

Hard to forget our own shambles against Georgia in 2007 and by no standard of officiating should we have won that game.

Matthew Carley's officiating career should end today if there's any justice but I have a feeling he'll get a promotion instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

They need more time together as a team. World rugby has to figure out some way of offering more support to those great island nations, Fiji, Samoa and Tonga, who contribute so much to the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I don’t believe it. Refs are great people in my book - who would want that job? - but I’m still dismayed by the way in which Wales could stop rugby being played, at least the type I want to see, and get away with it. Of course, if it was Ireland doing that…

Post edited by Ardillaun on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I can't remember the name of the book, but I remember reading that a baseball umpire is statistically more likely to call a ball on a 2-2 pitch, and a strike on a 3-0 pitch. To non baseball fans, it means the umpires have a bias to remove themselves from determining outcomes.

I don't think Carley is a consciously biased referee, but we saw weak human objectivity on display today. He let Wales's infringements adjust his threshold when adjudicating a single Fijian infringement, and then immediately "rectified" the decision by giving Wales a yellow for a reasonably innocuous infringement in midfield, some moments later.

At that point, in his head, he had probably done enough to remove himself from determining the outcome (i.e., one yellow a piece), and was unlikely to give another yellow.

World Rugby need to perhaps help referees by setting more clearly defined rules on when cynical play should be punished with a yellow, so we can avoid these biases, ironically, impacting the outcome of a game (i.e., Wales definitely deserved a second yellow, but by not wishing to determine the game's outcome, Carley witheld, thereby helping Wales win).

tl:dr, help fix the fallacy that inactivity is the fairest way to officiate.

If that’s aimed at me, I didn’t say anything about her accent

It's not aimed at you. By all means, critice the commentators for their commentary. But this is a hell of a leap...

I’ve not criticized her because she’s female (which I assume is your angle here)

Here's the post I was referring to. The one that says "accent". Nothing at all to do whether she's male or female.

Awful , never pauses either, totally breathless ,absolutley woeful accent .

• Advertisement

100%. Incompetence is one thing, corruption another entirely.

Advertisement