Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price gouging by the pub, restaurant & hotel industry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Had a lovely lunch with the wife today 20 minutes outside Dublin.

1 burger with sweet potato fries, BLT with chips, 2 ice lattes, 2 regular lattes and a desert. 47 euro. Link below on Kilcock. https://www.ryerivercafe.com/

The food was unbelievable, brought our dog and had a walk after. Some places are gouging no doubt about it but there is some nicely priced and good services if you search for it.

Had breakfast yesterday West Dublin, 3 people including coffees 30 euro and that included tip.

Updated to include cafe I went too

Post edited by sonyvision on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭jackboy

This is true. Last time I was in Westport, with a bit of looking, there was good food for good value to be found. Of course there were gougers also so definitely some shopping around pays off.

• I’m certainly not either in the military nor the Taoiseach, lol. The conference is the combined AGM and a seminar by the MS Society, who informed participants that if they the contacted hotel early enough by phone there was a single rate of €140 on B&B, although limited availability. There seemed to be a lot of confusion when I called, but bottom line was “sorry but none of those rooms is available”, so had to go online and book as normal. If the conference were in Norway I’d only have the cost of the flights as added extras and some of that would be absorbed by the cheaper price of the hotel. It’s just such an irony as I used to think of my trips to Norway as being a little exorbitant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭SteM

Be great if people named the places they found good value. Reward the proprietors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

But that's how VAT works - it's a consumer tax, at whatever rate paid on the total.

Look at motor fuels, the gov put more duty/ carbon taxes on them, the price/ltr goes up and then VAT is charged on top of the increases.

There's been a lot of price inflation recently for both consumers and businesses. As someone running a small business I used the reduced rate of VAT to absorb some of the increased costs but feck it, when the state jacked VAT back to 13.5%, now way was I absorbing that and the produce costs more now to the consumer.

VAT is a state tax, so if you annoyed about it, go bother the politicians - not the people who have to collect it and then pay it onto revenue. We only act as unpaid tax collectors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭BK5

Made the dinner today and it consisted of a fillet of ham, a cooked chicken from Dunnes, mash, roasters,stuffing,cabbage, carrots, gravy and bread sauce. Thought of this thread and decided to add up what it cost, this was a dinner for 6 adults and the whole lot cost 26 euro to buy and you can beat your ass it doesn't cost a hotel 26 euro to put 6 platefuls of food out.

Poor gouging on in a lot of places.

P.S some ham and stuffing left over for sandwiches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Updated with a link.

Why do people compare the costs of preparing a meal in their kitchen with that of a commercial provider? It is utter nonsense, it’s almost like they assume the cost of buying the ingredients is the only cost involved. Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭BK5

Sorry for bothering you with my "nonsense", how much do you reckon a hotel can make 6 chicken and ham dinners for? Cheaper or dearer than €26?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭Allinall

A lot dearer I would think, taking into account all direct and indirect costs.

• Advertisement

I dunno, maybe if you were paying commercial energy rates, paying for commercial equipment, paying staff to cook your meal, paying staff to serve it, paying staff to clean up, paying insurance on a commercial property, paying rent for using your kitchen and dining room, paying council rates on the area you cooked your meal in, etc, etc, and paying those even at times when you aren’t cooking, do you still think it would cost €26.

It doesn’t bother me, I just think it is bizarre that you think the cost of cooking a meal in your kitchen is in any way comparable to the costs involved in cooking the same meal in a cafe/restaurant/hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Let’s be honest, food prices, even in Supermarkets, is gone through the roof.

what I have found though, is there is less of a gap between a good restaurant and a “gastro pub”, many of which are just mehhh! I don’t mind spending for a treat if the food is good and would rather save for a special treat 400 on a very good meal for 2 than spend 120 -150 on a mediocre gastro pub.

Something can be expensive, but still good value, if that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,683 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

the ultimate gougers seem to be take aways.

At one stage a couple of years ago I could get a meal deal for two in an Indian consisting of:

two mains

two rice

chips

two starters

popadoms

chutney

naan bread

for €35 including delivery. Same order now costs €55 two years later!

Bought two bags of chips in the local chipper last Wednesday and it cost me €9! Rip off.

I suppose if people keep paying it the prices will keep going up though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭downtheroad

"VAT is a consumer tax"

"I used reduced rate to absorb costs"

"State jacked VAT to 13.5% no way was I absorbing that"

HYPOCRITE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,139 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Try Aldi's rib-eye steaks. Lovely and even cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭mobby

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blackvalley

And what’s with this trend of burgers that you need to unhinge your jaws to eat in the manner of some Amazonian reptile.

If I have to disassemble my burger to get my gob around it now becomes three dishes. A salad, a bap and a slab of beef .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭nachouser

Bunsen. End of burger debate:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

What are you on about? I have produce selling at a certain price, the costs of producing rise constantly.

The government lowers the second reduced rate of VAT from 13.5% to 9%. This enables me for a period to absorb rising costs, minimising any increase in retail prices.

The government reverses this and puts the rate back to 13.5% - sorry but the retail prices have to rise. It's a consumer tax, you the consumer pay VAT.

Businesses would greatly prefer if there were no VAT at all. As it is, we are and I repeat unpaid tax collectors for the state. We are collecting VAT or Sales Tax from you.. and then giving it to Revenue. If you have a problem with this, go annoy your local TDs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

People are really going to have to vote with their pockets at this stage. If you have to go to the pub have food before you head out.

Chicken Curry €19.50

Lasagne €18:50

FFS. That's just pure robbery. I bet the place was fairly full though?

Yeah the gourmet burger. I see the local Macaris has it on their menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Not a bad price for a fillet steak. Not sure why anyone would eat in the Morgue though?!

They seem to be experts at steak, seafood, burgers, pasta and cajun food.

Any place that has that much food on the menu is bound to be shite. Place is always inexplicably jammed for their Sunday roasts too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,494 ✭✭✭fliball123

Its starting to ramp up already in 2023 30% more insolvencies than in the same period last year and the hospitality sector has 3 fold increase and this before the winter and the oncoming increase in energy and petrol/oil. The gougers are going to be decimated over the next year or 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭gipi

I was in a restaurant yesterday (Co Louth) and that's the sort of price range I saw - burger or chicken burger 19 euro (was 16.95 a few weeks ago), chicken maryland 20 euro (up from 17.95). It's nice food, and there's plenty of it, but still....

There's a 20 oz steak on the menu too.... €50.50 !

The place was full too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Has to be the place which "renowned " itself on the best steaks in the area for years... few minutes outside Drogheda northbound ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭gipi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Gone are the days of going out for food and pints. It's one or the other now and even that's becoming less of a thing. We have to be one of the most expensive places in Europe for shite food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

We've got amazing places to eat in this country. And really keen prices too. The last 20 years has been a revoluton. Fantastic to see and a huge achievement countrywide.

Couple Ive been to recently like Il Vicoletto (€16.50 for a huge portion of ragu), Pi pizza (€15 for a top tier pizza), Mr S (€31 for 2 courses - octopus starter and beef short rib main) etc but people are paying 20 quid for chicken burgers in shite pubs. 😕

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Your last sentence sums it up. Plenty of people can well afford to eat and drink out and enjoy themselves.

Then you have the miserable folk who spend the whole time moaning because they just can't afford it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

It's clear this thread is full of people who haven't a clue how things work or how difficult it is to run a hospitality business.

Advertisement