Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭DBK1

Good post I have to say.

There does be a lot of talk here about sucklers being unprofitable and for a lot of farmers maybe they are, but there are plenty of suckler farmers on top of their game and making good money from them. I know men that average €1,500 plus for their weanlings every year, don’t try anyone tell me they aren’t making money at them prices!

The biggest problem for a lot of lads when they see the mart prices is they don’t understand how cattle kill out so don’t know what the equivalent factory price would be.

A U= animal at €4.70 base price in the factory will come to €5.08 after qa and grade bonus. That same animal will kill out at 60% of their yard weight. Allowing for 8% weight loss on the way to the mart that’s up to 65% of mart weight. The €5.08 factory price now needs to be €3.30 per kg live weight price in the mart to match the factory price. A lot of lads are selling these at €2.70 - €2.90 per kg in the mart and think they’ve exceeded the factory price when really the man buying them is turning €200 plus per head on them in a very short time frame, sometimes in a 12 hour timeframe!

As you’ve said, the men buying these cattle in the marts are no fools, and while they aren’t making a fortune on them if they can make €100-€200 per head in a short timeframe then all they need is enough of heads to make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

There's no way they are making €200 profit straight from the mart to factory. Competition would take care of that healthy margin.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

That is leaving a gross margin of 1k. March is six months away or 180days. The sums do not work for smaller producers as we cannot get ration/feeding costs at the prices these lads do. Add to that these producers are often getting 20-30c/kg above prices available to us.

However a bull like that makes no sense to me. If I finished him I be lucky to break even at substantial costs. Aside from finishing costs you have to look at other factors. The lad producing them probably needs tillage to defray nitrates. I will put 7 stores in for every three of them. I can put 16stores in a pen that will house 11-12 if them. I wound need better quality silage and to buy straw. It's cost cost cost.

Grant to say they will make 2.5k but I cannot see a margin on them in a small producer system

Slava Ukrainii

You’d be surprised how many lads take factory fit stock to the mart and sell them at prices that much less than factory rates and still go home delighted with what they got and are none the wiser.

Why do you think it’s the same men buying the majority of the stock in the marts?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

And there's also lads that went bust at the same game.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 nearlybreak

That bull wasn’t fit to kill so your whole argument is wrong while you do have a few fair statements there you are still off with a lot of them

If I get time I’ll keep an eye on one of the marts online tomorrow and I’ll pick out a few lots where there’s that type of money to made on them for a man with a good relationship with the procurement manager, meaning he’ll get qa without the 70 day limit or that type of thing.

You just need to have the money in the bank to be able to buy them!

I wasn’t referencing that bull in particular with what I was saying, more of a general observation of what lads do when selling in the mart.

There’s lads that go bust at every game, not just in farming terms either.

* I meant that to be an edit to my previous reply to your post, don’t know why it came up as a new reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I see a lot of finished and semi finished cattle that are sold 150-200/ head jess than factory price. At present there is processors buying direct from marts. 2 weeks ago nearly even finished cattle had a margin on them for direct slaughter

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭nhg

Going to the mart suits our system and my OH much better than sending finished animals to the factory at the moment, he can go to the mart the week that suits him with a number of animals that suits our system and can transport them himself.

If not happy with the price offered he can bring them home again & if sold, the money is in the bank account on the following Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

THERES a guy on TikTok with 13-14 month charolais bulls 600 kg taking 2.70 kg in the mart for them . Leaving serious money behind him,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Maybe but it depends on their situation. To go further what’s required - time, feed, shed space, Bord Bia, quantity …

Sometimes it’s easier to take the hit the first day

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I watched some of Dungarvan Mart earlier - few prices below. Nothing spectacular but even I could see that FR bullocks out of Hol-BF cows sold well. The suckler-bred stock did well too. You wouldn't usually get many of them in Dungarvan.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Green acre

If he is leaving that much behind him then why are more lads not queuing up to buy them in the mart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I see plenty of lads giving out that cattle are too dear to buy, the price you pay for them should'nt be the problem, it's the up the food chain we need to be looking at.

Everyone is squeezing the man below him for a few pound, it the boys on top that need to be squeezed.

Bulls are awkward to do anything with dont blame anyone for not wanting to be messing with them. If the like of me was to go buying them , ive lost out on a few kg from the messing in the mart, I wouldnt have QA id have to put a price on my time and getting them home . Not much left for a lad trying to flip them who isnt a procurement manager. but them things add up fast . 62% at 4.90/kg is over 3/kg straight away. and 30c on a 600kg beast is 180£ and thats below the average price and that isnt a crazy killout for a young bulls mart weight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭893bet

Would the average continental at 600kg have the flesh cover to kill out at 62%?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

Whilst it might not suit yourself bass or others who run a lower cost system, there are men at it who have had a good run of it the last while. And by the way the heavy young bull is selling are backing it been a similar market to that in spring of 2024. Whilst they might take up shed space versus smaller frame stock the turnaround is shorter and they are likely turning them around in half the time. Not saying its the only way to skin a cat but this is why the bigger prices are floating around and lads aren't see the rational for it.

i wouldnt like to put up the video but they were in shed ad lib and fat wide stumps

• Advertisement

No he’d do well to kill 55% you’d want a miller to kill 62%

I haven’t seen the stock in question but if they’re U grades they’ll kill out closer to 65% than 55% of mart weight.

R grade continentals here are all killing out 56-58% of yard weight, U grades 57-60%. That’d be the equivalent of 62-65% of mart weight depending on the length of time from loading to selling.

i had an 11 year old cow kill 54% mart weight 419 dead weight, 770 mart weight. R= 2+ off grass. what do you think a young bull would kill off meal

Depends how good he is in confirmation and flesh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭Robson99

You are correct....but farmers never win against the factories....only wins the farmer has is against each other....dog eat dog

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

SAMPLE WEANLING PRICES FROM 12.9: BULLS: LMX 425kg €1510, CHX - 434kg €1440 267kg €910, BBX 350kg €1440, AAX 386kg €1360 354kg €1100 - HEIFERS: BBX 288kg €1080, CHX 248kg €850 305kg €850, LMX 338kg €1020, AAX 338kg €860. NEXT SALE 19.09.23

Kanturk Mart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

How do you squeeze the boys at the top? Easy squeeze the boys below.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

The same way they squeeze us, by controlling supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 rojas68

Comment Deleted

Post edited by rojas68 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

And in some marts it’s the same men for the last twenty years . They have both mart costs and factory costs plus transport ( and associated weight loss ) and still make money . Farmers lose big time on a lot of finished cattle being sold in marts .

The issue for a lot of farmers is getting the cattle to the factory if you only have a few at a time .

Advertisement