Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Absolutely. The idea of Kenny being in charge next month is nearly done. Id say he'll be gone quick enough now.

Maybe the players are happy because they arent being pushed. They are comfortable with failure because Kenny doesnt expect anything else from them.

Standards. Where are they. We cant be losing consistently to teams like luxembourg, greece, armenia serbia and scotland. Drawing with azerbaijan.

It really cant be defended anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,956 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Get in Nigel Clough, and Roy Keane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

One of the most interesting things about tonight's match is that the whole thing went flat after half time. It was still 1-1, the game was there to win and all the momentum from the first half was gone. No sense of urgency and the crowd went quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

He has to go but the players aren’t there. See lads covered with tattoos that can’t hold onto the ball.

Tony o'donoghue letting this spoofer off the hook. A mess. An utter mess. Actually feel for the guy but he's out of his depth. Interviews are they way he goes on in the dressing room. Wow. Its horrific.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Totally out of his depth. Yes, the players aren't there, but I don't think he has the tactical ability to have us play any better

• Registered Users Posts: 11,036 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Not looking too comfortable in the interview, did he had a stiff drink beforehand?

Id be worried for Stephen in terms of his mental health. He's under serious pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,350 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Shite players.

Shite manager.

However even with Pep, would it get much better? Not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Bit of a mess really ,he definitely seemed very uncomfortable almost lost during the interview

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭redseat1

So are you saying a new manager and new players?

And if players are, as you say, "comfortable with failure", what manager within the FAI budget will change that?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,286 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Shows you everything about Kenny, playing shîte, not creating much but waits until the 88th minute to make his last 2 substitutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,576 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

He was never the right man for the job. The cracks were evident from the first game against Bulgaria but some couldn't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

It is difficult to see Kenny visibly upset. I believe he will be sacked now yet he can claim that he has laid the foundations for the future with the twenty or so players he has brought in. He also had the courage to stick by his convictions and changed the playing style. The results just never came and so it just wasn't to be for Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,638 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

When he did that pass I thought, that is what Ireland don't have someone to do that.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Hopefully the next manager brings in a few €50 million level players.

The bit I am glad of Stephen Kelly, Didi Hamann, and Richie Sadlier were all on the same consensus A lot of which I was thinking for a long time.

But given the nature of that other main Ireland thread - where there is the 'cult like' vibe. I was starting to think maybe I was the wrong one.

Thankfully if 'football men' like those three are speaking the truth and honestly there is some hope. And I am not going mad!

To LOI Kenny fanboys.

What do you want? Do you honestly believe this is good enough and we should continue with it?

I don't know he always sounds that way at the best of times, he got well paid for the job. I think underage football is where he should be involved less pressure, no need for results, just 'development' of players.

That is the route I would go if I was him. Sure Noel King hung around the FAI for years like that, with no pressure and no accountability - plus got to stand in as caretaker a few times in the senior gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yep it's time for Stephen Kenny to go. Sooner rather than later. Tomorrow or Tuesdsy please. Get the manager in and working with the lads before the next match.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Did I read he's on 500+k

What you do when you don't have the players you cover weaknessness, shore up the middle with dogs that can run/harry (no expectation of making passes). Get the ball wide to the fast lads fast. Plus stick to the 3 at the back that is where Ireland are strongest plenty of centre halves. But the midfield is a wasteland creativity wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

I just saw the messiah’s interview there.

”I’m not trying to make excuses” swiftly followed by a full two minutes of excuses. The game is well and truly up for this dope of a man. He’s constantly outsmarted on the sideline and hasn’t the knowledge or the cop on to change things when things need changing. Zero reaction to Holland switching their set up and zero ability to adapt or change our system to counteract the changes Holland made.

I thought the first half was decent, there’s an obvious lack of quality in our team so the high press and energy is what we need to be able to compete. Now, any manager worth his salt would know the players would be gassed after 45 minutes 3 days after playing France in crazy heat. Did he take any steps to try and minimise this? No.

I genuinely want to hear the reasons people have for wanting him to stay. I can’t see any, literally zero, so I’m just curious to know what pro-Kenny fans can say.

To the PL plastic hammer waving barstoolers.

What manager comes in for a few hundred grand per annum and definitely improves results?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

He has the charisma and personality of a head of cabbage, its excruciating listening to him in an interview. The LOI fan boys just can't accept that their golden calf is at the same level as an international manager as Irish clubs are in European competitions......severely out of their depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Lee Carsely will apparently abandon his promising trajectory in the English set up to come over and lose with us.

Probably the same types think shamrock Rovers can compete and win the champions league

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

What foundations?

Kenny came In heralding a new standard of play and his backers said he needed time to make it work

At the time the majority of people said give him a chance

For This group to be a success kenny had to beat Greece at home draw with them away and beat Gibraltar and after that anything against France and Holland would have been a positive

That's it, that's where Ireland are at now and have been for along time

That's why how trapatoni and Martin oneill were treated is truly bizarre. They actually over achieved

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Gonna take a considerable effort to fix the team up this guy just isn't up to the task the standard is tier two UK football league equivalent one or two players above the rest but if they're injured the house of cards falls.

Scotland have a Championship level manager with one of their best players not even playing regularly for his club but they are 1 win from qualifying for Euro 24.

Why anyone is still loyal to this pub 5 a side level manager Kenny I don't know, he has to go and no more of his type should ever be considered again,amature manager at best who in their right mind would play for the Republic of Ireland with no possibility of qualifying for a global tournament in sight for at least the next 6 to 10 years. Get a professional manager or continue with this guy and be nothing more than also rans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

I was very disappointed that a wrexham winger who shouldn't be playing international football couldn't provide the service to orcestrate a comeback against a side who lost in the world cup quarter final on penalties to the eventual winners

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement