Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

customs.inspections@dpd.ie Asking For Commercial Invoices

Options
  • 08-09-2023 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever get an email from this address asking for commercial invoices?

The email itself is very convincing. They have the DPD tracking ID in the Subject. From "DPD Ireland Customs team in Athlone" apparently.

Says I only have 5 days to send a commercial invoice which can only be got from the seller apparently or package will be returned. Amazon generated invoices dont count.

The package value is £59. Some DIY items and 2 phone screen protectors.

This email was received at 5pm from DPD Athlone. When I check my DPD tracking it says package has cleared Customs at 1pm today but no update since.

Email did not ask for any payment to be made. Just the invoices.

Does DPD Athlone do customs inspections? It seems ridiculous that they would but Im not sure if its a scam or legit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,383 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Did you order some DIY items and 2 phone screen protectors from a non EU country recently that you are expecting? If not I'd ignore it.

If you have ordered them it sounds like it was an improperly declared shipment, likely from UK where the sender has not completed the customs declarations properly and DPD are trying to find out what value it actually was v's declared. I have in the past been given a customs amount to pay to DPD for items ordered from UK that sender filled in correct declaration for, I didn't need to provide any proof my side. Documentation they require from sender is rather extensive, could be 10-14 pages for your simple order.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭jj880

Yeah I ordered from Amazon UK.

First scan of the package was Hinkley just outside Birmingham.

The DPD tracking has just updated to this:

If the package has cleared customs I dont understand the email at all. They aren't looking for money. Just commercial invoice. Strange. Im hoping its now on the way to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,383 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is there a chance any of the DIY items would fall under potential illegal weapons here? Customs could be interested if they are.

7 x brushed steel double plug sockets

1 x brushed steel double aerial socket

2 x phone screen protectors

Ok Im starting to have my doubts. Actual reply email address does not match the email address in the signature. Very amateur looking.

Post edited by jj880 on

Out for delivery today. First time Ive seen the consignment ID mentioned by legit DPD which was also included in the "customs" email on Friday.

Got an email yesterday from a different scammer with the same tracking/consignment IDs looking for 1.68 dollars to be paid through a link. How they get these details is a worrying as I can see people being fooled. I almost was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Nothing sounds suspicious about that tbh, especially when they're asking you to reply to a DPD.ie address. It's a normal type of email to get when a courier thinks a delivery is missing import documentation. You can request an invoice from the actual seller through the Amazon order page, I've had to do it a couple of times.

It's normal enough for couriers to take on a customs role on behalf of Revenue, the big ones like DHL and FedEx do (who in my experience always mess up and can't read customs documentation properly), I presume DPD do too. Strange that it says out for delivery but maybe they clarified something after sending the email.

What threw me was at the bottom of the email they signed off with customs.team@dpd.ie which did not match the actual reply email address of customs.inspections@dpd.ie. Also a harsh time limit for providing the invoice of 5 days.

DPD tracking stated that package had cleared customs at noon Friday. I got the commercial invoice request email at 5.20pm Friday.

I might just keep my orders from Amazon to less than £50 from now on. That usually means its delivered/tracked with An Post and there's no hassle.

Seems it was legit after all. Got package just now with big sticker "RELEASED FROM CUSTOMS" on it.

Wonder what made them release it without the commercial invoice they requested.

Advertisement