Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doping megathread - I can't even think of a witty tagline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,693 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The difference is some teams blab on about doing things differently and having "thin blue lines".

Kinda similar to the difference between Armstrong and the rest. Another guy who couldn't shut up about how clean he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

For me, it comes down to what they said versus what they did. Hoist with his own petard.

One of the things about the mpcc was the corticosteroids enforced competition rest period - obviously subsequently it emerged that skineos had used TUE's that would've broken those rules, with high profile riders. IIRC the MPCC accepts that for medical reasons corticoids are the appropriate treatment, just not in or just before competition (a bit like Froome with the Predislone, if you're sick/ injured enough to need them, you shouldn't be racing)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭koutoubia

For me it became obvious on 'modern day' doping in 4 parts!

Cancellara co-ordinated bike swap (was in Roubaix?) and his dissappearing up the Kappelmuur* leaving Boonen behind like an amateur.

Froome going up L'Alpe D'Huez leaving Quintana standing. On one specific corner Froome's bike was flying and his cadence simply not matching the speed.

Froome in the Giro. What was he 5 mins down..and then has a 'Good Day' and rides away from the best in the world and wins by mins.

Jumbo Visma:

2 or 3 years ago in Paris -Nice and 3 of the team TT-ing away from everyone.

WVA in the tour. Up the road every day. EVERY FU****G DAY for almost 3 weeks.

Roglic and Vingo superb TT'S in the Giro and Tour respectivley.

Sadly I am around long enough to know if it walks like a duck,quacks like a duck and looks like a duck ..its a duck!

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Gazzoli the Astana took yesterday’ Arctic Tour of Norway stage after a year of ineligibility resulting from a doping infraction.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Say what you want about Gerlosteiner, it has just the right amount of bubbles for a hot day.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Head of Athletics Integrity Unit takes aim at doping policies of other sports | Athletics | The Guardian

It's funny how the average barstool sports fan will immediately reference doping when cycling comes up, and yet almost every other sport gets more than the benefit of doubt. Has doping ever been remotely discussed seriously in the context of say football, rugby or in the country, GAA?

But cycling must eternally apologise.

The more money that's pumped into football, the further under the carpet the issue of doping is pushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭cletus

It's a point I've made repeatedly to fans of football, GAA, rugby etc. and it get pooh-poohed.

Coming from a background in martial arts (MMA), and having worked as a personal trainer (particularly in a power lifting/strongman gym), I'm more than familiar with the idea of athletes doping.

It may be the cynic in me, but I don't believe for a second that the top sports people in every sport aren't doping to some degree. There's too much at stake, the margins at the top are too slim, and as the saying goes, 'if you're not cheating, you're not trying'.

Just show them Fuentes admission to the doping of Spanish World Cup winners or Cascarino and Cappelo's comments on "vitamins" in soccer.

Then you have Messi's growth hormone drugs and the injected pain killers that are routine in soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭cletus

This is just a brief overview of football, doesn't even touch on other major sports.

I watched amateur strongman competitiors take nandralone and dianobol to take part in local or regional competitions, that they had to pay to enter, to win trophies that nobody outside their small group would know anything about, much less care about.

The idea that pro athletes, with the money that's at stake, are not seeking out anything that will give them an edge is, to me, nonsense.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

They don't care though, that's the difference. Cycling (although only certain nations) and to a slightly less extreme Athletics care. Other sports don't, we are outliers in our disgust. I still despise it, just get that we are not the norm , particularly in this part of the world.

• Advertisement

Soccer will never damage "the brand" the way cycling did and rugby is thoroughly up its own hole about being a sport of gentleman who play the game in the right spirit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The messi stuff is completely different and is prescribed to children with growth problems in general. The issue is because he is talented he was able to skip the queue and get the best care in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

In many sports athletes are assets and regularly play with painkilling injections to compete. Soccer especially is rife with this & it amazes such actions are widely accepted & almost applauded.

Nadal another one who has terrible injuries to his joints but for years has been playing with injections but again no attention to that.

Pep Guardiola has failed 2 drugs tests as a player but gets to be included in "greatest ever manager" conversations with no mention of the incredible running stats of his teams and possible connections.

Michelle Smith was rightly questioned because of her connections as were many cyclists but not Peps teams.

Given all the commentary around JV, I'm surprised the weekend turnaround hasn't raised any eyebrows - quickest performance turnaround since Landis? Or is it only TT's that people throw shade at?

It was discussed in the race thread. Once he hit 7-10 mins down he just rolled in like a Sunday spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

The collapse raises more questions than the revival. Almedia had a bad day, shipped a couple of minutes. I thought Remco was so far down he was going to climb off.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Does it though? By all accounts they just gave up and said f it let’s take a breather and just get in before the time cut, we can stage hunt instead of suffering through to keep the loss to a minimum and then being bolloxed for the following day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

Zinedine Zidane used to get lauded for having homologous blood transfusions to rebuild his body, it was taken as a sign of his professionalism. That's doping. I doubt football is as squeaky clean as they like to make out, same with tennis, golf, GAA, rugby and probably all other sports.

My son who plays both football and rugby tells me that lads on his Junior C football team take 'steroids' in the gym (not sure what they are) and that they are easily available. Whenever you raise the issue of PEDs in the GAA you get the usual response of sure how could drugs make you better, it's all about skill. Given the cross over in players between his two teams I have no doubt his rugby mates are at the same thing. It's depressing tbh, especially the blind eye that's turned to it in Ireland. You see stories of rugby players becoming addicted to tramadol and talk of players taking cocktails of pills to play. The current Irish management team have form in this.

Yet cycling is the sport most associated with doping.

On a lighter note if you want to see how far normal people will go to cheat have a read of https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/ - it's very entertaining.

That's gas. I wonder how many actually do it to run the marathons for free rather than just get the fuking Instagram pics at the finish.

• Advertisement

I was being a bit facetious tbh, but if the Tour winner, the giro winner and the best mountain domestic of the last few years (who was let in, and gained all his time in a break) is a sign of doping, why isn't such an immediate turnaround?

It’s a mentality thing for me. Kelly eluded to this in comms, has to be analysed for future GT prospects. After that **** show he will always be the outsider of the main GT contenders for the TDF next year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I thought Remcos turnaround made sense. Was down to far to ever be realistically in contention but still too close to be let in a breakaway so just rolled it in like a recovery spin. Hardly controversial or suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Two questions about this were raised on another forum over the weekend.

1) If Remco is doping, wouldn't it make a heap more sense to do it to avoid collapsing in the first place, rather than to get a consolation prize?

3) Bardet finished Stage 13 only four minutes ahead of Remco, and was able to stay with Remco for almost the entire breakaway on Stage 14. But no-one is suggesting anything untoward about his performance.

Someone definitely ratted Pogba out within Juventus. He is a handy scapegoat for the vast problems at the club.

Thousands more could be caught if the authorities really went after football players.

That’s what I thought when I read this - someone’s either fcuked up or he’s been shafted. I’d wager there’ll be no discussion of if he was taking PEDs when at Man U in the UK press.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I spent the best part of 20 years strength training - I know who’s on gear or not pretty easily. Rugby players are up to their eyes in it.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You give cycling way too much credit. They got caught. Cycling itself did everything to protect its brand

• Advertisement

Ya that's true. Armstrong was protected for years even after the bubble burst.

Cycling did at least have some whistleblowers although they were ignored and bullied for many years.

Advertisement