Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'm only guessing from the outside, hypothesizing if you will. I did work in the energy industry but never for ESBn/EI so I wouldnt know for sure. Interested to hear any hypothesis you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

So haven't really used these chargers too much. Pulled into Ballysimon Road, Limerick on Sunday to charger (C6REJ) which is meant to be a 150kw charger. Battery was at 18% and I had entered in the navigation I was going to Dublin so it was pre-heating for about 10 mins before I arrived. I plugged in and it was pulling 25kw. There were no other cars plugged in while I was there. It was definitely the newer charger, are these just unpredictable or has anyone else that used this charge experienced something similar ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You are giving them too much credit. Data centres, Intel etc are large energy users. Not ECars.

ESB are very risk adverse and all there accounts are above board. They would rather pay additional money than do anything considered shady

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

From eCars T&C

I would guess that ESB Innovation RoI Limited have a commercial supply contract with another ESB Group company.

• Advertisement

Same guess here. I would also guess that ecars is a trading name of that Innovation LTD as opposed to a separate company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

10 mins of preheating is not a huge amount of time. Not sure what car you were in so that could be a factor. Did it stay at 25kw for the duration of your charge or did it ramp up as the battery warmed up?

If it stayed at 25kw, would have to assume the charger had a fault or is supply limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Is pre-heating a battery a requirement above 12 to 15C...? I thought it was only a thing on colder days?

Depending on the battery and the car, yes 15c isn't warm enough for a battery to take 150kw, especially if the car was sitting for a while before going to the charger. A 10 min drive won't warm up a car unless it's a really warm day here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

It depends which brand. Tesla is heating up to around 50C so defo still needed. Having said that, these temps are required for speeds of 150kW + so 25kW is defo* some fault from the supply side.

PlugShare reports are quite positive, maybe some spurious thing. There was an interesting article on electrive about a reliability index which shows that both chargers/cars manufacturers have some work to do in informing customers of issues during the charging session

• Advertisement

It was a Model Y. The charge rate didn't increase while I was there but I only stayed for 7 or 8 mins coz I decided my time would be better spent in the local watching the football.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭eltoastero

depends on the car, I've found the EV6 max charging power moves in jumps. I don't have an OBD dongle to verify the exact battery temperature (but can make an educated guess based on from Telsa Bjorn videos) that it can take 220kW+ when the battery is 25 Degrees, 170kW when the battery is 20 degrees, 120kW when the battery is 15 degrees. Even in 15 degree ambient weather the preconditioning is needed to get up to the mid 20s in the battery pack (and the peak charging power)

Let me guess - RWD model Y? LFP cars like that need a lot lot more than a few minutes preheating. I have a model 3 RWD and its the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,168 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I had 80% charge when I plugged in on the free day last week, plugged in after about 5-10 minutes of precon and got 64kW on a V2 charger so 25kW is unacceptably slow and is clearly a fault with ecars, I've also got a M3 RWD

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭tommythecat

These are the ev6 Charging speed temperatures

40kW @ Min. battery temp <10C (50F)

60kW @ 10-15C (50-59F)

130kW @ 15-20C (59-68F)

190kW @ 20C-25C (68-77F)

240kW @ >25C (77F)

Probably not dissimilar to other manufacturers. You can see to get to the real top speeds you would need preconditioning even on a warm day.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Probably not dissimilar to other manufacturers.

They are all very different. Tesla's tend to push for very high temps on their batteries (40°C+). VW's need 20°C+ for Max rate.

The EV6 is impressive at 15°C but its also probably because the Kia is an 800V system so they can use half the amps and yet still achieve the high kW rates so they are not stressing the battery.

Spot on. Might try it again over the weekend just to see if it's the same.

Thats on a Tesla charger where higher amps are allowed. If you used Ionity or Ecars (or any other 150-350kW unit you would have got less than 64. Tesla OS differentiates between charging at a supercharger and other DC charging. Different parameters apply for both

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

I was charging my Hybrid car yesterday on the Type 2 ESB charger through the EasyGo app which.

I started at 10:27 until 13:08. This was at the Ballysimon Circle K in Limerick.

My easyGo phone app says I had a consumption of 12.3KWh (a cost of €10.05)

When I checked my car app before I unplugged, it said I had taken a charge of just over 10KWh. The indication lights also said that I was not fully charged. (te bar indicator on the cars dash)

The total capacity of my Hybrids battery is 12.8 KWh.

My car also takes about 3.5 hours at home to charge. (Min charge time is 3 and a half hours, from zero battery to full, at the 3.6KWh that my car will charge on the ZAPPI i have at home).

So there appears to be a difference in your stated consumption and the charged level of my battery which was only connected for 2hrs and 40 minutes.

I realise that this is not a large amount of money for what appears to be a 2KWh over charging (in a euro sense).

but I want to know that I can trust the charger - particularly as my Wife has a full EV and may need to charge at some stage on the road - so can we trust it?.

There was also another issue- that I already rang the ESB about - in that, I was charging on the Type 2 charge port- but someone else parked beside me (on the outside and annoyingly close to my car and not in a charging bay. ) and used the DC charging cable on the same charger unit that I was using.

The ESB told me that this was ok and possible and they charge independently. Except that I seem to have 2 KWh less in my car than i was charged me for. I know that the other car was only there for a short period of time (maybe 10 to 15 minutes? could have been just 5 minutes) - but I know that the DC charger charges faster) as I saw them in the Circle K shop while I was there.

Is this correct? that 2 cars can use the same charger unt independently at the same time?

I'm brand new at this EV/Hybrid game - but liking it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Losses over the cables and into the charger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭allinthehead

It makes very little financial sense to charge a hybrid on public chargers, how far would you go for that 10 quid?

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭Buffman

The battery will never let itself get fully depleted so should never take the full 12.8 kWh. As you're car on has a 3.6kW charger onboard, that's its max and it will charge at the same rate on standard public chargers and your home Zappi, so if you were only connected to the public for 2hr40min and you know it takes 3hrs30min to charge, it wouldn't be a full charge.

Multiple cars should be able to charge on the same charger, it's normally only limited by the poor parking layouts as you saw and has been discussed here a lot. The car that went on the DC charger was getting a fast charge which it likely needed to complete it's journey and couldn't wait a few hours on you to move. They really shouldn't have 'fast' and 'slow' chargers on the same spot but that's another discussion.

The difference in figures is caused by power transmission loss. The figures you've provided show a transmission loss of around 20%, a bit on the high side but not unheard off. Might sound high until you remember that a petrol engine can loose up to 80% of it's fuels thermal efficiency as waste heat, friction etc.

I think the bigger problem is based on those figures you're paying €0.82 /kWh when even ecars own rip off rate on PAYG standard is €0.563 /kWh? Have you done the sums? I'd imagine even at current petrol prices €10 worth of petrol would get you much farther.

Personally none of my PHEVs have ever touched a paid public charger as it was never cheaper than running on petrol, even before energy prices went nuts.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭derekreilly

Junction 12 Kinnegad. 4 x double sided Delta ESB e-car (150kW I think) units ready to go. Can charge 8 EVs at once. All sides have CHADeMo and CCS. Not a fan of this parking pattern.

The parking seems awkward but might be done that way to protect the chargers from loons reversing into them?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Oh no, it's another Coynes Cross situation

Hope the cable for the right side chargers are reasonably long, otherwise half the spaces are going to be basically unusable

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I came across the opposite, the charger delivered more than I paid for, it also under reported speed, 10 kwh where as it should be delivering around 15kwh,

You paid too much, use the ecars app its only 56 cents per kwh or there are other providers which depend on use maybe be cheaper again, seeing that you have an EV also it might be worth checking out some of the plans available,

Charging loss seems very high, put 2000w (2kw) into a kettle it will boil in a few minutes, you have that spread over 2,5 hours, I would think the charger needs to be recalibrated.

Your wife might need to decide to where to charge, or possibly just suffer the excess, she probably has limited options, maybe consult a A better route planner, it helps making those decisions I believe.

Some ecars units differ from others, they could be fine, 2 cars charge at one time, some only 1 and some might allow 2 cars but limit the power to both.

You probably would have got more help if you said nothing about the hybrid, any way I would continue as your are doing, enjoy and well wear, I don't know of any phev that cheaper to run on petrol plus the fact of using less petrol means you don't have the hassle or waste so much time filling up with petrol, much easier to charge a car I believe, especially when your there for 2.5 hours and do please tell me why you are at that particular service station, you don't have to give anything away, for example "work".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

• Registered Users Posts: 9,168 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Is that a major problem? If it is then it's massively under-reported. I'd actually see this layout as being more difficult to park in so more likely to cause such incidents

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I don't think it's major problem, its why all charger installs have the metal poles. Much cheaper to repair/replace than the charging equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭derekreilly

It's herringbone parking all the way along the side of this site. Unfortunately nothing to do with the charger location or protecting them. Just maximising parking spaces and not charging bays

Advertisement